ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2 Championship: Blair Oaks 32, Lamar 27 FINAL

So just a dumb question and I have no dog in the fight. In the pictures above the receiver clearly touches the ball at the 21 yard line whil he is in the air. I don’t think he had control of it but based upon what is posted here in the above post:

“If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.’

Wouldn’t that mean that the players can be downfield?

So just a dumb question and I have no dog in the fight. In the pictures above the receiver clearly touches the ball at the 21 yard line whil he is in the air. I don’t think he had control of it but based upon what is posted here in the above post:

“If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.’

Wouldn’t that mean that the players can be downfield?
Again "B" is referring to team B, which is Blair Oaks.

My mistake on A vs B, good catch. I still however think he caught the pass IN the neutral zone which by definition extends 2 yards beyond the defensive line per NFHS rules.

My mistake on A vs B, good catch. I still however think he caught the pass IN the neutral zone which by definition extends 2 yards beyond the defensive line per NFHS rules.
That's not how I read crosses. The LOS is the LOS. Neutral zone may expand in regards to the linemen, but I don't read that into the pass being caught. Again, PRIMARY factor is the key word in the rule here.

The OL coach is in his third year at Lamar, came the same year as Beshore. Been around, but most recently at Seneca. Outstanding coach and just plain awesome human being. Kids love him and would run through a wall for him, and he them. He also coaches fishing team and boys golf.
And he gets paid for it.

There is no doubt this is a very close call or we wouldn’t be having this lengthy discussion. With that said SHOULD the refs have made a game deciding call like that at that point in the game? If it was so obvious why did the flag come out after the play was over? Plenty of time to throw the flag the moment of the infraction.

It's damn close. Close enough to have gone either way, IMO.
yep, much closer than I thought. I thought on a screen at or behind the line, the lineman couldn't release downfield until the ball was caught. I guess I was wrong. 😬

There is no doubt this is a very close call or we wouldn’t be having this lengthy discussion. With that said SHOULD the refs have made a game deciding call like that at that point in the game? If it was so obvious why did the flag come out after the play was over? Plenty of time to throw the flag the moment of the infraction.
I would point to any of the other multiple penalties called on Lamar at many key points in the game as being just as costly. If Lamar has even one of those back I think there's a different score going into this situation and we're talking about a Lamar win.

Reactions: _slo_mo_ and Arcola
I don't believe that any call should take the game situation into account. A call should be made or not made the same whether it is the first or last play.

Not only did bo get to recruit the best players in mid mo, they had the refs in their back pocket. Ridiculous
Ah the ignorance. I challenge you to take a little time and look at their roster over the years and find the names that are different. I’m gonna guess you’ve never been to Wardsville, and don’t know a single soul there. They did some recruiting in the big cities of Osage Bend, Taos and St. Thomas. Quit spewing ignorant BS and celebrate 2 great programs that played their tails off today. Hats off to both teams. You hate to see one of them lose.

They self recruit like Webb has done for many years. If Johnny is good at football in Jeff City, where do you buy a home?
Didn’t know it was recruiting when Jonny moved out there in 5th grade because his parents were tired of him getting chairs and books thrown in the classrooms at JCPS. If you’re from mid mo you know why parents are trying to move their kids out of JCPS. Again, look at the roster and tell me what starters or even players are different.

Don’t get me wrong BO is a great school district. If I lived in it I’d have no problem.

But let’s not live pretend land though. Kids coming up through the youth program didn’t just live within the schools district. Linn, Russellville and other surrounding districts have had kids playing in the program for a long time. Jeff City just this year started offering tackle football in 5th grade.

Now I think it’s great they had the opportunity to play. But if they were any good, where do you think they ended up?

Look as I said it’s not the coaches going at and recruiting and when you win, everyone wants to be there. It like said, let’s not sit hear and pretend every public school is so clean.

Big stretch here.

Can you name me a specific player on the BO team this year where that example is valid?

If anything, I can think of several starters for Helias that live within the BO district lines but choose to go to Helias. Think of how good BO could potentially be with those kids.

Look at the names on the roster. Hair, Closser, Lackman, Luebbering, Weiberg, Wilde, Kerperin, Hoelscher, Toebben. If you were from the area, you would know most these names go back to the 70s, 80s, 90s in the district.

Let the kids celebrate.
Exactly....those names are generational in that Wardsville/ Taos/ Jeff City area

Last edited:
Reactions: 65TPT
Could the outcome had been different? Of course. I don’t care to hear an absurd comment about how lopsided the penalties are. STOP JUMPING OFFSIDES and you won’t have a lopsided penalty discussion. Sickened to read the Lamar coach saying that to the press in the paper already. Own up to mistakes.Blair oaks had a lot of dropped passes also that could have been major field possession changes that could have blew this game open too. Mistakes happen. Penalties are there for a reason. If they don’t get called the other team feels cheated on illegal playing. Even as a bias Blair oaks fan, I hate the outcome revolves around such key plays. BUT, would rather it happen that way vs being cheated on blatant no calls. If you make the mistake you pay for it.

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong BO is a great school district. If I lived in it I’d have no problem.

But let’s not live pretend land though. Kids coming up through the youth program didn’t just live within the schools district. Linn, Russellville and other surrounding districts have had kids playing in the program for a long time. Jeff City just this year started offering tackle football in 5th grade.

Now I think it’s great they had the opportunity to play. But if they were any good, where do you think they ended up?

Look as I said it’s not the coaches going at and recruiting and when you win, everyone wants to be there. It like said, let’s not sit hear and pretend every public school is so clean.
Again you’re wrong. Do you have kids or know kids that have done this? Blair Oaks kids used to play in the PAL league with Helias kids. BO only offered football for 7th and 8th grade until around 2008 or so when Coach Drehle started the Junior Falcons program. The majority of kids that you are speaking of from Linn, Russellville, Eugene, etc would play for the PAL league where most kids go to Helias. I coached the current sophomore class at BO in junior Falcons When they were 6th graders. There is 1 name on the roster that I’m not familiar with. Every other name played for BO. As for the Junior and Senior class there are 4 different. 1 is the current principals son when he got the job last year and moved. 1 is a coaches son who moved last year and had coached with Coach LePage when he was at JC years ago. And the other 2 are military transfers, 1 tore his ACL and the other didn’t start.

You are correct that people from other districts do move to BO sometimes because they want their kids to play football, it isn’t offered at some small local communities. But don’t act like they recruit them and they’re doing what privates do. Parents move their kids there to give them an opportunity to play a sport that wouldn’t be offered at their school or they send them to Helias. I have had co workers that do this. Live in Eugene and go to Helias so they can play football. There’s nothing illegal about that either.

There is a huge difference between kids moving in in 3rd grade and growing up in elementary school than a kid moving in from ESL his senior year and is a 3 star prospect or a kid moving back from IMG academy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on A and B. That makes sense. It was such a close call and great game. I saw the entire play on Twitter. LOS was the 20. He had control of the ball and feet down at the 19. First touched the ball at the 21.

Gutsy performance by both teams. It was worth our 3 1/2 hour drive up to watch for sure. Congratulations to Blair Oaks. My high school played them in 19 and they were some of the best hosts that I have seen. Very respectful and classy. That was 2 of the best football programs in the state going toe toe and it lived up to the hype. It was unfortunate that someone had to lose that game to be honest.

Could the outcome had been different? Of course. I don’t care to hear an absurd comment about how lopsided the penalties are. STOP JUMPING OFFSIDES and you won’t have a lopsided penalty discussion. Sickened to read the Lamar coach saying that to the press in the paper already. Own up to mistakes.Blair oaks had a lot of dropped passes also that could have been major field possession changes that could have blew this game open too. Mistakes happen. Penalties are there for a reason. If they don’t get called the other team feels cheated on illegal playing. Even as a bias Blair oaks fan, I hate the outcome revolves around such key plays. BUT, would rather it happen that way vs being cheated on blatant no calls. If you make the mistake you pay for it.
It wasn't the off sides calls that cost a team the game. It was the phantom holding and the face mask penalty that should have been a 15 yard version and an automatic first down, calls. And to say that BO had a lot of dropped passes that could have changed the game is not the same thing as refs changing the game. Lamar had a couple drops also. That is their fault. You don't want to hear a comment about how lopsided the penalties were because your team didn't lose because of them.

Reactions: Saints-1-fan
It wasn't the off sides calls that cost a team the game. It was the phantom holding and the face mask penalty that should have been a 15 yard version and an automatic first down, calls. And to say that BO had a lot of dropped passes that could have changed the game is not the same thing as refs changing the game. Lamar had a couple drops also. That is their fault. You don't want to hear a comment about how lopsided the penalties were because your team didn't lose because of them.
Just because the penalties were lopsided doesn't mean they weren't earned. Lamar was undisciplined, surprisingly so. Cost them this game.

Reactions: skewdogg and 65TPT
Watching the webcast it felt like Lamar dominated the game. BO had more big plays. Lamar got hosed by the last 2 penalties (5 yard facemask and lineman downfield). But great game by both teams.

Of all plays to miss I didn't catch the screen and the lineman down field, only heard it. Had a friend watching it who said it was not a great call. If there's two things experience tells me HS officials love calling it's a hold out on the edge and illegal man downfield. And Lamar was hammered by those.

There's no doubt in my mind those are the two best coached teams in C2 and possibly all of Missouri. What a fun game with tons of defensive highlights and big plays. Hair is obviously the real deal but I was also very impressed by 50 and 15 for BO and both Wilkerson boys for Lamar.

That's the best HS game I've seen in a minute.
They were 6 yards down the field. Question is where RB caught the ball. That was very close to LOS

The facemask at the end wouldn’t have been an automatic first down, only half the distance I believe

Reactions: Cards1968
Lineman downfield was absolutely the right call.
But if ball is caught BEHIND the los they can be downfield. Most teams run a version of that screen, nd release linemen. I'm not arguing its affect on game, I'm saying the play looks legal from the clips I have looked at on here.

But if ball is caught BEHIND the los they can be downfield. Most teams run a version of that screen, nd release linemen. I'm not arguing its affect on game, I'm saying the play looks legal from the clips I have looked at on here.
There's a picture on page 6 I believe that shows him touching it at the LOS. He didn't complete the catch until the 19 yard line as noted by other posters. I've shown in posts at the end of page 7 and this page the call was close, but correct.

Reactions: 65TPT
There's a picture on page 6 I believe that shows him touching it at the LOS. He didn't complete the catch until the 19 yard line as noted by other posters. I've shown in posts at the end of page 7 and this page the call was close, but correct.
If he caught it at 19, then it is a flag. I didnt see those posts.

The facemask at the end wouldn’t have been an automatic first down, only half the distance I believe
How many yards is a face mask penalty in high school football?

Penalty: For twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, or controlling the mask: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.

How many yards is a face mask penalty in high school football?

Penalty: For twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, or controlling the mask: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.
Only automatic 1st downs are roughings. 15 yard facemask is only 15 yards. So if it’s 4th and 17 it would then be 4th and 2. With where they were on the field I think it would’ve only been half the distance. I would need to ask an official for sure but almost positive

I read the rule a little different but I’m not an expert. The pass has to cross the neutral zone not the los for the players to be ineligible. My question is would the 19 be considered the neutral zone? He touched before the los by about a yard and completed the catch about the 19. Is the neutral zone 21-19 on this play.

I’m genuinely curious about the rule not arguing the outcome.

Here is the rule from nfhs

ART. 12 ... Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.

I read the rule a little different but I’m not an expert. The pass has to cross the neutral zone not the los for the players to be ineligible. My question is would the 19 be considered the neutral zone? He touched before the los by about a yard and completed the catch about the 19. Is the neutral zone 21-19 on this play.

I’m genuinely curious about the rule not arguing the outcome.

Here is the rule from nfhs

ART. 12 ... Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.
Scroll up, already covered these points.

Scroll up, already covered these points.
Yeah I read in your posts that neutral zone only is for the ineligible players and the receiver is LOS, but nowhere in the rule does it mention the line of scrimmage says the pass has to cross the neutral zone for the players to be ineligible. That’s my confusion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT