ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2 Championship: Blair Oaks 32, Lamar 27 FINAL

My favorites from other social media regarding this game. What do you expect from a rich private school such as BO? It was the same refs that screwed us last year. Some rich BO parent paid off the refs. It was quite comical.
Blair Oaks is a public school!
My favorites from other social media regarding this game. What do you expect from a rich private school such as BO? It was the same refs that screwed us last year. Some rich BO parent paid off the refs. It was quite comical.

I think what you meant is it is no fun when your team loses. The reason that it "came down to that" was because they were behind to start with. Like any game, a host of things could have happened- that were in Lamar's control- to where it did not "come down to that."
This forum is about to cave in from the weight of the whining and excuse making from people whose teams didn't achieve their goals.
Not whining or complaining at all. Blair Oaks absolutely deserved the win. I stated the call and the nature of how it was made was not a good look. Had it been immediate and clearly defined, there would be no doubt.

Your statement is absolutely true: a number of things happen through the course of the game that could have gone a different way. The fact is, the difference in many of these types of close games is minuscule but vital. That was my point. I'm sorry if it was interpreted as whining.

Reactions: NOMOCA and Arcola
Not whining or complaining at all. Blair Oaks absolutely deserved the win. I stated the call and the nature of how it was made was not a good look. Had it been immediate and clearly defined, there would be no doubt.

Your statement is absolutely true: a number of things happen through the course of the game that could have gone a different way. The fact is, the difference in many of these types of close games is minuscule but vital. That was my point. I'm sorry if it was interpreted as whining.
941d62ff0c0cf8af353766139ede27e4.gif

That line judge job is to make sure he sees what he see's. My thinking is he got caught up in the play and wanted to make sure it was the correct call before throwing the flag. I've seen the video, it was the correct call, regardless of how bad it may have looked with a late flag. Its a tough call to make in that type of game, but you have to do it, cause it was a penalty. I am still just so impressed by Lamar. Much respect for those players and coaches. I am a fan of them for life.

That line judge job is to make sure he sees what he see's. My thinking is he got caught up in the play and wanted to make sure it was the correct call before throwing the flag. I've seen the video, it was the correct call, regardless of how bad it may have looked with a late flag. Its a tough call to make in that type of game, but you have to do it, cause it was a penalty. I am still just so impressed by Lamar. Much respect for those players and coaches. I am a fan of them for life.
Great post. Makes sense.

I had told several people leading up to the game how fun it was going to be, and that it wouldn't bother me to lose. Well I lied a bit, LOL. The game sure lived up to my expectations. When BO lined up 5 wide on offense, I just held my breath because it was palpable how dangerous they could be. I was just as excited when the Lamar O-Line cleared tremendous holes and we did our thing with running plays. Hair was awesome. Wilkerson was awesome. So many others made big plays. Both coaching staffs, fans on both sides, bands, awesome awesome awesome.

You insinuated that Ted LePage could manipulate referees because he is was a hall of fame and a championship coach so I was comparing that to it Lamar's coach and his power to manipulate the refs since he also is a championship coach. Sounds like you don't know anything about Ted LePage either.
You insinuated that Ted LePage could manipulate referees because he is was a hall of fame and a championship coach so I was comparing that to it Lamar's coach and his power to manipulate the refs since he also is a championship coach. Sounds like you don't know anything about Ted LePage eithe
I didn't insinuate anything, I said clearly exactly what I wanted to say and stand by it 100%. You accused me of saying something about championships being illegitimate which I never said. Most coaches try to work officials but most aren't successful. LePage gets flags waved off where most coaches get another 15 added on if they persist in questioning the officials.

I have seen it make a big difference especially in momentum in how a game is going. Lepage is in the top 1% when it comes to influencing officials, I don't know anything about the other guy you mentioned.

Also! try to stop being a jackass.

Great post. Makes sense.

I had told several people leading up to the game how fun it was going to be, and that it wouldn't bother me to lose. Well I lied a bit, LOL. The game sure lived up to my expectations. When BO lined up 5 wide on offense, I just held my breath because it was palpable how dangerous they could be. I was just as excited when the Lamar O-Line cleared tremendous holes and we did our thing with running plays. Hair was awesome. Wilkerson was awesome. So many others made big plays. Both coaching staffs, fans on both sides, bands, awesome awesome awesome.
I second this. Let’s just let this thread die. There wasn’t many fun games. This one was. It is what it is.

I’m just here to comment and keep the thread alive. What an epic game. I have been telling people what I thought was the best high school football game I have ever seen. Two fairly evenly matched teams. Only advantage might have been arm strength at QB on one side and line dominance on the other IMO.

I’m just here to comment and keep the thread alive. What an epic game. I have been telling people what I thought was the best high school football game I have ever seen. Two fairly evenly matched teams. Only advantage might have been arm strength at QB on one side and line dominance on the other IMO.
The toxic aspect. Not the general game topic. Sure that’s cool.

Huh? “The toxic aspect. Not the general game topic. Sure that’s cool.”

Speaking of Toxic…

Last edited:
Reactions: revno
What's been toxic ITT? Both sides have been more than complementary of each other. The usual couple of suspects claiming recruiting have been largely ignored. Even so, who died and made you thread police?
Not sure where you got demands. It was my opinion/suggestion/ on the arguments. Yes the past few pages have been complimentary. Not sure why you are so hostile with me. I personally have zero issues with you at all really.

You didn't answer. What's been toxic?
The arguments over BO recruiting. Felt like people continue to belittle them with other accusations like paying off refs. I haven’t been on this forum much since Friday. So I was catching up when I commented, like I said you are right it’s been a lot better the past 2-3 pages of posts for sure.

The arguments over BO recruiting. Felt like people continue to belittle them with other accusations like paying off refs. I haven’t been on this forum much since Friday. So I was catching up when I commented, like I said you are right it’s been a lot better the past 2-3 pages of posts for sure.
You commented on this being a "one sided affair" as far as the refs were concerned. Even hinted that last year's loss was understandable but this one was not. Me thinks you just are having a hard time coming to grips your side lost. No matter, I'd say this thread will have posts in it all off season since it was a memorable game in the most competitive contest of the Show-me bowl. There's nothing remotely toxic in it.

You commented on this being a "one sided affair" as far as the refs were concerned. Even hinted that last year's loss was understandable but this one was not. Me thinks you just are having a hard time coming to grips your side lost. No matter, I'd say this thread will have posts in it all off season since it was a memorable game in the most competitive contest of the Show-me bowl. There's nothing remotely toxic in it.
So it’s not toxic to suggest BO has people paying off refs? Or because they won they recruited. Sure I complained about refs, people NOT from Lamar did as well. It wasn’t like it was only Lamar folks on that issue. Fandom/sports can be an emotional affair. So that’s to be expected. I don’t care that people are posting because Lamar lost. My perspective was not wanting this to be a war about BO being bad or the enemy. Or something along those lines. Banter about the game is ok. And even if that’s what happens I control nothing. But like everyone else commenting on a message forum? I did so, and was making a suggestion myself.

Reactions: Saints-1-fan
This thread is chocked full of astute and timeless observation from _Slo_Mo_, the kids all around town are saying this thread has been "goated" therefore we must do everything we can to keep the discussion going. Aren't there any Lamar fans who wanna come in and relitigate the illegal man downfield? Best case scenario is they come straight to page 10 and eliminate all context.

Reactions: 503_Maple
The paying-off refs was, I think, a guy commenting that he saw that accusation on other social media.

I still don't understand and I guess I have never understood the illegal man downfield penalty. As an offensive lineman, I always thought on a screen pass the lineman couldn't go downfield until the ball was caught. The actual rule states that the ball has to be released.

That makes what I thought was an obviously good call a much much closer call. I still think the game was officiated quite well. Lamar fans aren't being unreasonable in questioning a couple though. Any game of this caliber for these stakes with teams this evenly matched and a score this close is going to spur this type of conversation.

The paying-off refs was, I think, a guy commenting that he saw that accusation on other social media.

I still don't understand and I guess I have never understood the illegal man downfield penalty. As an offensive lineman, I always thought on a screen pass the lineman couldn't go downfield until the ball was caught. The actual rule states that the ball has to be released.

That makes what I thought was an obviously good call a much much closer call. I still think the game was officiated quite well. Lamar fans aren't being unreasonable in questioning a couple though. Any game of this caliber for these stakes with teams this evenly matched and a score this close is going to spur this type of conversation.
Exactly. There’s some questionable things. But the game was awesome. Really enjoyed it regardless. If you aren’t going to accomplish the ultimate goal? The next best thing is get to the game and compete your butt off. And they have done that. That senior class has worked real hard all 3 years they played vital roles in the runs.

Last edited:
I didn't insinuate anything, I said clearly exactly what I wanted to say and stand by it 100%. You accused me of saying something about championships being illegitimate which I never said. Most coaches try to work officials but most aren't successful. LePage gets flags waved off where most coaches get another 15 added on if they persist in questioning the officials.

I have seen it make a big difference especially in momentum in how a game is going. Lepage is in the top 1% when it comes to influencing officials, I don't know anything about the other guy you mentioned.

Also! try to stop being a jackass.
What is your proof that LePage gets slack from the officials or is it just your opinion?? Where are you qualifing your claims?

Reactions: Moleebo
What is your proof that LePage gets slack from the officials or is it just your opinion?? Where are you qualifing your claims?
With any veteran coach that has success, they have seen about every possible play, call, flag etc. So that experience helps as in most cases they know the rules better than the officials. It is the Head coaches job to question or fight for a correct call. Does that experience level and even success level have influence? Probably. In this case that maybe helped in the flag being thrown. When the dust settled it was the right call.

Mr. Passer, it's a compliment and it's probably true. The best coaches play all phases of the game, they know how to appropriately lean on officials. Nobody is saying the man is a cold-hearted cheater dadgum

Reactions: Moleebo and Arcola
Based on seeing several Blair Oaks games over the last few years, it is my opinion. I have also heard Lepage speak in dozens of interviews.

First of all, Lepage is a damn good coach, his teams are well coached and know the rules, and they are fairly disciplined(though they know what they can get away with). LePage does know the rule book, which probably intimidates weaker officials. I would say the BO advantage starts without Lepage ever saying a word.

Example: 4th and long 2. Dylan bootlegs towards the left sidelines the Boonville defense does a good job forcing him out of bounds, he just makes it back to the line of scrimmage maybe gaining half a yard. Dylan stays on the sideline, Blair Oaks' offense leaves the field and the Defense comes on the field. The officials call the play a first down for Blair Oaks, and calls their offense back on the field. Lepage never said a word, he didn't argue the spot, nor did Dylan or anyone on Blair Oaks. Blair Oaks just gets a gift out of thin air.

Example 2: Blair Oaks star players(from a couple of years back) make several blatant very late hits right in front of officials. This involves helmet-to-helmet late hits while players are unpiling, to knocking the ball out of a runner's hand after the play. Never called a single penalty.
In a different game, it is 4th down for Blair Oaks and a pass hits Blair Oaks receiver in the hands, he bobbles it momentarily before it hits the ground. He is hit shoulder pad to shoulder pad by a defensive back not even hard enough to knock him down. Penalty first down Blair Oaks. Again, LePage didn't even argue for this call it was just automatic.

Example 3: District semi-finals halftime Score BO 37 Boonville 22. BO on side kick to start 2nd half, Boonville recovers at their own 42. 1st play of 2nd half, jet sweep touchdown Boonville, 2pt conversion good. 37-30.

After 1 first down BO is forced to punt. Boonville starts the drive at their own 18 and moves the ball on three plays out to 34. On 2nd and 8 from 36, Boonville runs a quick pitch right which gains 46 yards down to the BO 20.

Now the official standing amongst the BO coaches called a block in the back, which he wanted to happen but never did actually happen. The wide receiver actually stopped and hopped around a BO player to avoid making any contact, not that it would have made a difference if he did graze him, it didn't effect the play at all, and it MOST CERTAINlY would not have been called against BO. Now instead of 1st and 10 at BO 20, and 20 yards away from tying the game, it is 2nd and 19 from their own 24. Now you can look at final score and say it wouldn't have mattered but in truth it was a huge huge momentum shift towards BO IMO simply because the official on that sideline was standing in close proximity to Ted Lepage. It was a terrible call and at crucial time in the game.

Again look at two penalty flags waved off in the Bowling Green game.

A lot of it is just reputation, and I would love for any of my kids to play for LePage, I am not knocking him, but he does get some perks that lesser coaches don't get. You can say he earned his perks, and you won't get too much of an argument from me. He has done an outstanding job and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Based on seeing several Blair Oaks games over the last few years, it is my opinion. I have also heard Lepage speak in dozens of interviews.

First of all, Lepage is a damn good coach, his teams are well coached and know the rules, and they are fairly disciplined(though they know what they can get away with). LePage does know the rule book, which probably intimidates weaker officials. I would say the BO advantage starts without Lepage ever saying a word.

Example: 4th and long 2. Dylan bootlegs towards the left sidelines the Boonville defense does a good job forcing him out of bounds, he just makes it back to the line of scrimmage maybe gaining half a yard. Dylan stays on the sideline, Blair Oaks' offense leaves the field and the Defense comes on the field. The officials call the play a first down for Blair Oaks, and calls their offense back on the field. Lepage never said a word, he didn't argue the spot, nor did Dylan or anyone on Blair Oaks. Blair Oaks just gets a gift out of thin air.

Example 2: Blair Oaks star players(from a couple of years back) make several blatant very late hits right in front of officials. This involves helmet-to-helmet late hits while players are unpiling, to knocking the ball out of a runner's hand after the play. Never called a single penalty.
In a different game, it is 4th down for Blair Oaks and a pass hits Blair Oaks receiver in the hands, he bobbles it momentarily before it hits the ground. He is hit shoulder pad to shoulder pad by a defensive back not even hard enough to knock him down. Penalty first down Blair Oaks. Again, LePage didn't even argue for this call it was just automatic.

Example 3: District semi-finals halftime Score BO 37 Boonville 22. BO on side kick to start 2nd half, Boonville recovers at their own 42. 1st play of 2nd half, jet sweep touchdown Boonville, 2pt conversion good. 37-30.

After 1 first down BO is forced to punt. Boonville starts the drive at their own 18 and moves the ball on three plays out to 34. On 2nd and 8 from 36, Boonville runs a quick pitch right which gains 46 yards down to the BO 20.

Now the official standing amongst the BO coaches called a block in the back, which he wanted to happen but never did actually happen. The wide receiver actually stopped and hopped around a BO player to avoid making any contact, not that it would have made a difference if he did graze him, it didn't effect the play at all, and it MOST CERTAINlY would not have been called against BO. Now instead of 1st and 10 at BO 20, and 20 yards away from tying the game, it is 2nd and 19 from their own 24. Now you can look at final score and say it wouldn't have mattered but in truth it was a huge huge momentum shift towards BO IMO simply because the official on that sideline was standing in close proximity to Ted Lepage. It was a terrible call and at crucial time in the game.

Again look at two penalty flags waved off in the Bowling Green game.

A lot of it is just reputation, and I would love for any of my kids to play for LePage, I am not knocking him, but he does get some perks that lesser coaches don't get. You can say he earned his perks, and you won't get too much of an argument from me. He has done an outstanding job and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.
Wow. Can’t argue with those rock solid examples.

Sounds a little like a Rival teams fan is tired of getting their teeth kicked in and looking for an excuse.

Reactions: 65TPT
Wow. Can’t argue with those rock solid examples.

Sounds a little like a Rival teams fan is tired of getting their teeth kicked in and looking for an excuse.
We beat em once, and LePage bitched about the officiating in post-game interview. He did it in a passive-aggressive way, but he complained about every single call that didn't go their way and supposedly illegal formations Boonville was using. Every coach and fan is guilty of this, even the very best.

So I'm in good company with LePage and pretty much all sports fans.

Last edited:
We beat em once, and LePage bitched about the officiating in post-game interview. He did it in a passive-aggressive way, but he complained about every single call that didn't go their way and supposedly illegal formations Boonville was using. Every coach and fan is guilty of this, even the very best.

Bottom line- Kids played their Guts out, it was a great, well coached game. Blair Oaks won, they are the state champs, it's over. Please don't let anything take away from how hard the kids played and how great of a game this was.

Maybe they wanted to get together, discuss it and be sure they got the call correct at that big moment in the game and everyone saw it the same way?

I can tell you this. You may beat the Falcons once, but that 2nd time, you better be ready because those kids just do not like losing. I am a firm believer in that if you work hard enough, the breaks will go your way most of the time. No real reason, it just happens to great programs at any level

Well, it doesn't matter what you or I think anyway. I'm just trying to explain why it's not an egregious call. It was close, if it hadn't been called it also wouldn't have been an egregious non-call.

If that is the case, nearly any official's association would say that it shouldn't be called.

I can tell you this. You may beat the Falcons once, but that 2nd time, you better be ready because those kids just do not like losing. I am a firm believer in that if you work hard enough, the breaks will go your way most of the time. No real reason, it just happens to great programs at any level
Yep, I agree it does seem the best of the best just have a way of digging down deep and getting the job done when the chips are down. Blair Oaks is one of those teams. Though I am a Boonville fan, I like watching Blair Oaks play whenever I get a chance, and not only in football. Top-notch athletic program and a model for others.

Reactions: 25WHEEL
Bottom line- Kids played their Guts out, it was a great, well coached game. Blair Oaks won, they are the state champs, it's over. Please don't let anything take away from how hard the kids played and how great of a game this was.
You're right coach, I wasn't talking about the State Championship game. Both those teams played their hearts out and their fans have every reason to be very proud of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT