ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2 Championship: Blair Oaks 32, Lamar 27 FINAL

You say scroll up like you were correct earlier and it is settled. The screen pass was completed at the line of scrimmage, therefore the linemen can be legally down field. Teams run screen passes legally like this all the time.

Scroll up, already covered these points.
Yeah I read you our posts that the neutral zone only is for the ineligible players and the receiver is LOS, but nowhere in the rule does it mention the line of scrimmage says the pass has to cross the neutral zone in flight for the players to be ineligible. That’s my confusion

Yeah I read in your posts that neutral zone only is for the ineligible players and the receiver is LOS, but nowhere in the rule does it mention the line of scrimmage says the pass has to cross the neutral zone for the players to be ineligible. That’s my confusion.
Cross the neutral zone doesn't mean clear the neutral zone.

You say scroll up like you were correct earlier and it is settled. The screen pass was completed at the line of scrimmage, therefore the linemen can be legally down field. Teams run screen passes legally like this all the time.
Well, it doesn't matter what you or I think anyway. I'm just trying to explain why it's not an egregious call. It was close, if it hadn't been called it also wouldn't have been an egregious non-call.

Well, it doesn't matter what you or I think anyway. I'm just trying to explain why it's not an egregious call. It was close, if it hadn't been called it also wouldn't have been an egregious non-call.
I agree. I’m just really curious and I don’t want it to take away from a great game. Like I said I’m really not arguing the outcome at all. I was very torn on who I wanted to win to be honest. Both team very much deserved to win.

Reactions: Cards1968
Side refs should have to flip sidelines at the half.
Word! Anyone who has played in the district with Blair Oaks knows LePage helps officiate the game. He got two penalties waved off during the Bowling Green game. Also, two huge phantom calls in last year's district semifinals erased 2 big plays by Boonville.

One of the perks of having a perennial winner and hall-of-fame coach is a tendency to get breaks by the officials. Honestly, I didn't think Lamar got shafted, I think Bowling Green had more legit gripes.

Word! Anyone who has played in the district with Blair Oaks knows LePage helps officiate the game. He got two penalties waved off during the Bowling Green game. Also, two huge phantom calls in last year's district semifinals erased 2 big plays by Boonville.

One of the perks of having a perennial winner and hall-of-fame coach is a tendency to get breaks by the officials. Honestly, I didn't think Lamar got shafted, I think Bowling Green had more legit gripes.
Most realize Lepage is probably one of the most knowledgeable HS coaches when it comes to the rule book and what he can and can’t do.

Look at the BO/BG box score and statistics. The game wasn’t as close as it seemed with BO out gaining BG by over 500+ yards of offense. Whatever 2 calls you are referring to aren’t making that up.

Congrats to BO and Lamar on tremendous seasons. Looks like Lamar will have plenty returning and could be back again next year (I wouldn’t expect anything less from such a storied program).

Reactions: 25WHEEL and 65TPT
The OL coach is in his third year at Lamar, came the same year as Beshore. Been around, but most recently at Seneca. Outstanding coach and just plain awesome human being. Kids love him and would run through a wall for him, and he them. He also coaches fishing team and boys golf.
#77 for Lamar on the OL was a DAWG. Big boy could move as it seemed he pulled most plays where the ball was going. BO wanted no part of that man in space.

So neither of these teams stack up to the legendary Centralia team or game?
giphy.webp

Reactions: Wheels 1
I read the rule a little different but I’m not an expert. The pass has to cross the neutral zone not the los for the players to be ineligible. My question is would the 19 be considered the neutral zone? He touched before the los by about a yard and completed the catch about the 19. Is the neutral zone 21-19 on this play.

I’m genuinely curious about the rule not arguing the outcome.

Here is the rule from nfhs

ART. 12 ... Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.
Like you, I am no expert, but I think we may be confusing the neutral zone with the expanded neutral zone. So the neutral zone, being the length of the football, is determined at the time the ball is marked ready for play. If the line of scrimmage was the 20 then the length of the football from outside the 20 to the 20 would be the neutral zone (the forward edge being the LOS). That zone expanded by two yards means length of the football from outside the 18 would be the forward edge of the expanded neutral zone.
Why they use the term neutral zone rather than line of scrimmage I do not know because to cross the neutral zone it must cross the LOS. I don't think it matters where he touched the ball, just did it cross the NZ or LOS in flight before the catch. More difficult for the refs, to me, is determining if the ball is "in flight" before the ineligible players leave the ENZ. The way I read it the ball doesn't even have to have crossed the NZ or LOS when they leave, it just must be in flight (out of the QB's hands).

• Love
Like you, I am no expert, but I think we may be confusing the neutral zone with the expanded neutral zone. So the neutral zone, being the length of the football, is determined at the time the ball is marked ready for play. If the line of scrimmage was the 20 then the length of the football from outside the 20 to the 20 would be the neutral zone (the forward edge being the LOS). That zone expanded by two yards means length of the football from outside the 18 would be the forward edge of the expanded neutral zone.
Why they use the term neutral zone rather than line of scrimmage I do not know because to cross the neutral zone it must cross the LOS. I don't think it matters where he touched the ball, just did it cross the NZ or LOS in flight before the catch. More difficult for the refs, to me, is determining if the ball is "in flight" before the ineligible players leave the ENZ. The way I read it the ball doesn't even have to have crossed the NZ or LOS when they leave, it just must be in flight (out of the QB's hands).
If the ball doesn’t cross the neutral zone in flight it doesn’t matter where the players our is the way I read the rule. I just don’t think it crossed in flight. He began the catch a yard behind the ball first foot to hit the ground was on the 19 yard past the ball. Between those 3 points he was making the catch and running at the same time. Probably had control of the ball in his hand at the LOS just didn’t have his foot down as he was in the air.

Just picking the rule apart because that’s just the way I’m built and it’s kind of fun. Takes nothing away from the game or BOs victory.

The best part of the game was the confidence that both coaches showed in their kids. BO not calling timeouts on the last drive showed he had confidence his kids would stop Lamar. Lamar getting in the bone and milking the clock with short yardage plays, that showed tremendous confidence in his kids to sustain a drive. It was 2 very good teams who were well coached.

Reactions: 65TPT and Y-counter
This is a ridiculous statement. Yea they could and could beat them. 2018 BO would beat Centralia. Yes Centralia was super legit no doubt. I love the nobody could beat a team that played 19 years ago. And I’m sure a couple of those Lamar teams could have as well.
I would beg to differ. The only team I think that really would beat them is 13 Lamar and I still think that’s a toss up. That team was phenomenal. 18 Blair Oaks was really good but I still don’t know if they’re in that same group. I still think 15 BO was better than 18 but they were class 3.

We could argue these teams for days and everyone would make really valid points.

I’m a SWMO guy so I admit I know nothing about Centralia. Are you referring to the 2003 team? Do they hold any state records?
When I look at the MHSAA record site I see several Valle , BO and Lamar records but I see no Centralia. Admittedly I did not look at every record. Just trying to figure out the reasons behind Centralia being your best ever.
Thanks

I’m a SWMO guy so I admit I know nothing about Centralia. Are you referring to the 2003 team? Do they hold any state records?
When I look at the MHSAA record site I see several Valle , BO and Lamar records but I see no Centralia. Admittedly I did not look at every record. Just trying to figure out the reasons behind Centralia being your best ever.
Thanks
I can't remember the year, but it was 5 or so years ago we had this very discussion during the Lamar run. Put together a 'tournament' using Calpreps as well as voting polls on what many considered the top teams from 2002 on (the limits of the Calpreps predictor data) and a couple of other factors that slip my mind like margin of victory, points allowed, etc. There were 3 or 4 Lamar teams in it, 2005 Cameron, 2008 Clark County, 2010 Penney, 2007 Lawson, the Blair Oaks team that was considered the best at that time (maybe their 1st title team?) and 2003 Centralia as well as a few others. It was close between Centralia, Cameron, and 2013 Lamar, but Centralia came out on top. Opinion on here has always been they were the strongest team. Made the title game year prior and were on a mission.

I plugged in both Blair Oaks and Lamar from this year into Calpreps today out of curiosity and Blair Oaks was a 4 point favorite over Centralia while Centralia was a 3 point over Lamar. TIFWIW

It's all BS really and I'm mostly just having fun with it, but of what I consider the best teams I've seen that Centralia team sticks out the most in Class 2 history this century.

I can't remember the year, but it was 5 or so years ago we had this very discussion during the Lamar run. Put together a 'tournament' using Calpreps as well as voting polls on what many considered the top teams from 2002 on (the limits of the Calpreps predictor data) and a couple of other factors that slip my mind like margin of victory, points allowed, etc. There were 3 or 4 Lamar teams in it, 2005 Cameron, 2008 Clark County, 2010 Penney, 2007 Lawson, the Blair Oaks team that was considered the best at that time (maybe their 1st title team?) and 2003 Centralia as well as a few others. It was close between Centralia, Cameron, and 2013 Lamar, but Centralia came out on top. Opinion on here has always been they were the strongest team. Made the title game year prior and were on a mission.

I plugged in both Blair Oaks and Lamar from this year into Calpreps today out of curiosity and Blair Oaks was a 4 point favorite over Centralia while Centralia was a 3 point over Lamar. TIFWIW

It's all BS really and I'm mostly just having fun with it, but of what I consider the best teams I've seen that Centralia team sticks out the most in Class 2 history this century.
What teams did they play or games did they have that ranks them #1 Did any players go onto college ball?

What teams did they play or games did they have that ranks them #1 Did any players go onto college ball?
I don't recall anything on the next level stuff for individual players. Their body of work was solid ie: points scored and allowed. They had a big rivalry on here and on the field with Blair Oaks at the time, those games had a ton of buzz as they met in the playoffs often. The computer loved them. I'm sure the algorithm has changed some since it was done then.

I'm guessing here, but it seems like Lamar folks are testy about it. Don't be too offended. 2013 and 15 were all-time teams too. It's really just something to talk about.

That 03 Centralia team was a well oiled machine. Hinspeter (QB) went on to have a great career at MO Southern. Thall (TE/DE) was an all state football, baseball, and basketball player and went on to throw in the minor leagues. Romine at RB/LB was a load. I believe he walked on at Mizzou for a couple years. QB was 6’6. TE was 6’4. Couple other WRs at 6’3. Just a bunch of big kids for a high school football team. I think their closest game that year was 28 point differential (W 42-14).

Again you’re wrong. Do you have kids or know kids that have done this? Blair Oaks kids used to play in the PAL league with Helias kids. BO only offered football for 7th and 8th grade until around 2008 or so when Coach Drehle started the Junior Falcons program. The majority of kids that you are speaking of from Linn, Russellville, Eugene, etc would play for the PAL league where most kids go to Helias. I coached the current sophomore class at BO in junior Falcons When they were 6th graders. There is 1 name on the roster that I’m not familiar with. Every other name played for BO. As for the Junior and Senior class there are 4 different. 1 is the current principals son when he got the job last year and moved. 1 is a coaches son who moved last year and had coached with Coach LePage when he was at JC years ago. And the other 2 are military transfers, 1 tore his ACL and the other didn’t start.

You are correct that people from other districts do move to BO sometimes because they want their kids to play football, it isn’t offered at some small local communities. But don’t act like they recruit them and they’re doing what privates do. Parents move their kids there to give them an opportunity to play a sport that wouldn’t be offered at their school or they send them to Helias. I have had co workers that do this. Live in Eugene and go to Helias so they can play football. There’s nothing illegal about that either.

There is a huge difference between kids moving in in 3rd grade and growing up in elementary school than a kid moving in from ESL his senior year and is a 3 star prospect or a kid moving back from IMG academy.

Again I’m not wrong. They have played in The 4 rivers league for some time and the north central youth league before that. Pal was part of the CYFL. Now they are part of the mid mo til 6th grade and 7th and 8th is in the four rivers. So either you don’t know or you’re being dishonest. I’d say it’s probably both.

Blair Oaks has had its own youth club for a while. I know for a fact around ten kids played from Linn up until they got there own club going.

Does the mean the 7 state titles under Scott Bailey weren't legit because he was a hall of fame coach as well so he also could manipulate the refs, correct??!

Reactions: skewdogg
Again I’m not wrong. They have played in The 4 rivers league for some time and the north central youth league before that. Pal was part of the CYFL. Now they are part of the mid mo til 6th grade and 7th and 8th is in the four rivers. So either you don’t know or you’re being dishonest. I’d say it’s probably both.

Blair Oaks has had its own youth club for a while. I know for a fact around ten kids played from Linn up until they got there own club going.
Can you not read in the post where I said they started their junior falcons program around 2008 and before then they only offered it for 7th and 8th grade? Before then they didn’t have it for 4th-6th. Those kids played at PAL with Helias. Please tell me the 10 kids on their roster that are from Linn as you are stating. If you’re saying 10 kids from Linn have played Junior Falcons from 08 - 22 then that’s a possibility.

Last edited:
Does the mean the 7 state titles under Scott Bailey weren't legit because he was a hall of fame coach as well so he also could manipulate the refs, correct??!
Just for clarification, Coach Bailey would be the first to tell you the Lamar football program is in the Missouri sports hall of fame, however individually he is not in the hall of fame.
While coach Bailey was at Lamar, we had our share of calls against us, especially suspicious holding penalties.

Alright fellers, Blair Oaks 33 Lamar 27 is the prediction. I think the Falcons raise the trophy and the Tigers begin to look forward to Boys Volleyball season.

I'm anxiously awaiting the first time Hair hits the seam and gets whalloped by one of those 230lb LBs Lamar ALWAYS have from one of the 6 families that produce Lamar football players.
3b8fb07b-620d-41a6-a6e5-4244822d845c_text.gif

Don’t get me wrong BO is a great school district. If I lived in it I’d have no problem.

But let’s not live pretend land though. Kids coming up through the youth program didn’t just live within the schools district. Linn, Russellville and other surrounding districts have had kids playing in the program for a long time. Jeff City just this year started offering tackle football in 5th grade.

Now I think it’s great they had the opportunity to play. But if they were any good, where do you think they ended up?

Look as I said it’s not the coaches going at and recruiting and when you win, everyone wants to be there. It like said, let’s not sit hear and pretend every public school is so clean.
Actually, players have to live in the district to play Jr. Falcon football.

Reactions: 65TPT

They may have moved to Linn top play, but I bet they were in the Blair Oaks feeder elementary schools or else they would not be playing.
4th-6th I believe still play in the FRYFL.

FRYFL 5TH GRADE WESTERN CONFERENCE​

Yeah I read in your posts that neutral zone only is for the ineligible players and the receiver is LOS, but nowhere in the rule does it mention the line of scrimmage says the pass has to cross the neutral zone for the players to be ineligible. That’s my confusion.
Yes, "clear and obvious" the pass did not go past the NZ. the ball is IN a hand at the 21 and the LOS is just inside the 20.
Does anyone recall which official threw this flag?

Yes, "clear and obvious" the pass did not go past the NZ. the ball is IN a hand at the 21 and the LOS is just inside the 20.
Does anyone recall which official threw this flag?
One of the black hats, not sure which one. Bad thing is, it was well after the play after conferring with other officials. It was not thrown at all initially, almost as if it had to be confirmed or maybe even suggested? I don't want to debate as to whether or not it was or wasn't the right call. At the very least, it certainly was a bad look the way it was handled. Lamar folks have a legitimate gripe.

Just like last year, it is no fun for anyone when games come down to this. Winner, loser, officials, fans, players - everyone.

If the ball doesn’t cross the neutral zone in flight it doesn’t matter where the players our is the way I read the rule. I just don’t think it crossed in flight. He began the catch a yard behind the ball first foot to hit the ground was on the 19 yard past the ball. Between those 3 points he was making the catch and running at the same time. Probably had control of the ball in his hand at the LOS just didn’t have his foot down as he was in the air.

Just picking the rule apart because that’s just the way I’m built and it’s kind of fun. Takes nothing away from the game or BOs victory.

The best part of the game was the confidence that both coaches showed in their kids. BO not calling timeouts on the last drive showed he had confidence his kids would stop Lamar. Lamar getting in the bone and milking the clock with short yardage plays, that showed tremendous confidence in his kids to sustain a drive. It was 2 very good teams who were well coached.
I honestly don't know the high school rule. I know that in college it is considered still in flight (not a catch) until the receiver touches the ground with ball in possession.

Reactions: 25WHEEL
Just like last year, it is no fun for anyone when games come down to this. Winner, loser, officials, fans, players - everyone.
I think what you meant is it is no fun when your team loses. The reason that it "came down to that" was because they were behind to start with. Like any game, a host of things could have happened- that were in Lamar's control- to where it did not "come down to that."
This forum is about to cave in from the weight of the whining and excuse making from people whose teams didn't achieve their goals.

I think what you meant is it is no fun when your team loses. The reason that it "came down to that" was because they were behind to start with. Like any game, a host of things could have happened- that were in Lamar's control- to where it did not "come down to that."
This forum is about to cave in from the weight of the whining and excuse making from people whose teams didn't achieve their goals.
My favorites from other social media regarding this game. What do you expect from a rich private school such as BO? It was the same refs that screwed us last year. Some rich BO parent paid off the refs. It was quite comical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT