ADVERTISEMENT

Class 2 Championship: Blair Oaks 32, Lamar 27 FINAL

Of all plays to miss I didn't catch the screen and the lineman down field, only heard it. Had a friend watching it who said it was not a great call. If there's two things experience tells me HS officials love calling it's a hold out on the edge and illegal man downfield. And Lamar was hammered by those.

There's no doubt in my mind those are the two best coached teams in C2 and possibly all of Missouri. What a fun game with tons of defensive highlights and big plays. Hair is obviously the real deal but I was also very impressed by 50 and 15 for BO and both Wilkerson boys for Lamar.

That's the best HS game I've seen in a minute.

Of all plays to miss I didn't catch the screen and the lineman down field, only heard it. Had a friend watching it who said it was not a great call. If there's two things experience tells me HS officials love calling it's a hold out on the edge and illegal man downfield. And Lamar was hammered by those.

There's no doubt in my mind those are the two best coached teams in C2 and possibly all of Missouri. What a fun game with tons of defensive highlights and big plays. Hair is obviously the real deal but I was also very impressed by 50 and 15 for BO and both Wilkerson boys for Lamar.

Was a good game. Have a lot coming back. The sophomore class is pretty good. Hopefully they step up next year and plug some holes.

Definitely some outstanding players on both sides. You named several that I also noticed.

Was a good game. Have a lot coming back. The sophomore class is pretty good. Hopefully they step up next year and plug some holes.
Hard to feel too bad for those outgoing seniors too when they already have a title. I asked this earlier but you weren't around, who coaches the OL for Lamar and how long have they been there?

Reactions: 503_Maple
Hard to feel too bad for those outgoing seniors too when they already have a title. I asked this earlier but you weren't around, who coaches the OL for Lamar and how long have they been there?
Oh yeah. I get ya there. I don’t know how they are currently doing that. They have several guys helping. My brother would know. My nephew is playing. The 3 coaches who I think share duties have been there about 6-8 years a piece. I’ll call him shortly

Which players did Blair Oaks recruit? I heard Lamar and Webb City recruit Joplin and SWMO. Sounds like a bitter hater spoiled.
Nervous Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

• Haha
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
And OUR big one is coming right up, shoot! GO FORT O!!!!!!! My dad is looking at me screaming at my 'puter like I've gone nuts!

Well, I am tuning into your updates for this one!

Reactions: thetophat2021

Your post is %100 correct

Come on…..all the penalty complaints. 11 to 3 because Lamar had 5 offsides penalties to my knowledge. You can’t complain about offsides.those numbers can’t exist in a penalty argument. Not so lopsided now are we? So move that number to 6 to 3. You are gonna have PI calls whenever the other team throws the ball that much in high school. The absolute only questionable call I seen was the illegal man downfield, but as a past lineman in my days I can recall getting called a lot for those. Very hard to be disciplined on a play like that. I want to see a replay myself. This was one heck of a football game. Unfortunately someone has to lose this one. Both very deserving teams.

Last edited:
They self recruit like Webb has done for many years. If Johnny is good at football in Jeff City, where do you buy a home?
Big stretch here.

Can you name me a specific player on the BO team this year where that example is valid?

If anything, I can think of several starters for Helias that live within the BO district lines but choose to go to Helias. Think of how good BO could potentially be with those kids.

Look at the names on the roster. Hair, Closser, Lackman, Luebbering, Weiberg, Wilde, Kerperin, Hoelscher, Toebben. If you were from the area, you would know most these names go back to the 70s, 80s, 90s in the district.

Let the kids celebrate.

Ehhhh…..Mshsaa official next to me at the game begs to differ. And the catch and possession of ball was 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage with lineman 4-5 yards beyond. I rewatched 3-4 times and froze a pic. Wish I could post it. It was the right call after rewatching.

Ehhhh…..Mshsaa official next to me at the game begs to differ. And the catch and possession of ball was 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage with lineman 4-5 yards beyond. I rewatched 3-4 times and froze a pic. Wish I could post it. It was the right call after rewatching.
No gog in this, but if ball is caught at or behind los, legal. PERIOD.

I will say this….I was at the game, I knew this would be a great game. I am thoroughly impressed with Lamar! Holy smokes, they were super physical, great team speed, tough as nails!! Well coached! Top of the cap to them. Congrats to BO…they played just as well as Lamar’s defense if not better. Offense was a wash as they both hit for explosive plays. Much respect for both programs!

Lamar definitely got jobbed last year with the final TD with 12 men on the field . This year they had some really unfortunate calls in untimely situations. Two pass interference calls on forth an long . The first was definitely the right call ...the second was a bad call IMO . One play I believe in the first half Lamar had a real long run inside the 20 get called back for holding that was just aweful . The tight end was just kicking the support players butt and got a call for it . The sack at the end of the game with the 5 yd facemask should have been a 15 . The illegal man down field the next play I cant comment on . I watched the play live ...two lineman were at least 4 yds down field but I didn't see where the ball was caught but I'll say BO should have won by more . Lamar db's were lined up about 12 yards off the wr almost every play . Slant should have been called about every play . Bo wr were all much faster than Lamar db. Bo kept trying to run and Lamar was winning up front but Bo was way better at the skill positions

Reactions: l_Pete_l
The OL coach is in his third year at Lamar, came the same year as Beshore. Been around, but most recently at Seneca. Outstanding coach and just plain awesome human being. Kids love him and would run through a wall for him, and he them. He also coaches fishing team and boys golf.

The OL coach is in his third year at Lamar, came the same year as Beshore. Been around, but most recently at Seneca. Outstanding coach and just plain awesome human being. Kids love him and would run through a wall for him, and he them. He also coaches fishing team and boys golf.
Do private schools dominate the publics in fishing? Just curious. Probably not.

Come on…..all the penalty complaints. 11 to 3 because Lamar had 5 offsides penalties to my knowledge. You can’t complain about offsides.those numbers can’t exist in a penalty argument. Not so lopsided now are we? So move that number to 6 to 3. You are gonna have PI calls whenever the other team throws the ball that much in high school. The absolute only questionable call I seen was the illegal man downfield, but as a past lineman in my days I can recall getting called a lot for those. Very hard to be disciplined on a play like that. I want to see a replay myself. This was one heck of a football game. Unfortunately someone has to lose this one. Both very deserving teams.
There were 2 Lamar Linemen downfield on the play, it was an accurate call. Actually, after reviewing the play again, there were 3 linemen downfield. #58 was 6-7 yards downfield, #63 was about 9 yards downfield, and #77 was around 8 yards downfield.

Last edited:

Read the last paragraph. The neutral zone extends 2 yards beyond the LOS to the defensive side by definition. He caught at the LOS, MAYBE 1 yard downfield.
Please read the rule again. They are not talking about the ball catcher, they are talking about the lineman (or in this case, plural) downfield. I'll bold the important definition.

Some clarification was recently provided in identifying when an ineligible Team A player is illegally downfield on a pass play. By rule, ineligible Team A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. The neutral zone expands 2 yards behind the defensive line of scrimmage following the snap. The position of the ineligible Team A player at the moment of the legal pass is the primary factor in determining if the player is illegally downfield. When identifying Team A players who are illegally downfield, it is important to make sure that the Team A player is clearly beyond the expanded neutral zone (2 yards) at the moment that the pass is in flight. Players can travel multiple yards in a quick period of time. These players can be legally within the expanded neutral zone when the pass is thrown but beyond as the pass moves downfield. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.

Here is the point where the pass is in flight.

htFQfye.jpeg

LOS was the 20 yard line, noted by the arrow. There are two linemen at minimum 2 yards beyond there.

I know you will point to where the ball was caught. The definition states "By rule, ineligible Team A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight." The ball crosses the neutral zone. I don't read that as meaning clearing the neutral zone. No matter, the bolded above clearly states the position of the player (illegal downfield) is the PRIMARY factor. It's close, but the correct call imo, and in the refs opinion which is all that matters.

Reactions: 65TPT
Please read the rule again. They are not talking about the ball catcher, they are talking about the lineman (or in this case, plural) downfield. I'll bold the important definition.

Some clarification was recently provided in identifying when an ineligible Team A player is illegally downfield on a pass play. By rule, ineligible Team A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. The neutral zone expands 2 yards behind the defensive line of scrimmage following the snap. The position of the ineligible Team A player at the moment of the legal pass is the primary factor in determining if the player is illegally downfield. When identifying Team A players who are illegally downfield, it is important to make sure that the Team A player is clearly beyond the expanded neutral zone (2 yards) at the moment that the pass is in flight. Players can travel multiple yards in a quick period of time. These players can be legally within the expanded neutral zone when the pass is thrown but beyond as the pass moves downfield. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated.

htFQfye.jpeg

LOS was the 20 yard line, noted by the arrow. There are two linemen at minimum 2 yards beyond there.

I know you will point to where the ball was caught. The definition states "By rule, ineligible Team A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight." The ball crosses the neutral zone. I don't read that as meaning clearing the neutral zone. No matter, the bolded above clearly states the position of the player (illegal downfield) is the PRIMARY factor. It's close, but the correct call imo, and in the refs opinion which is all that matters.
I read that as a pass downfield. Passes behind the los will never cross nuetral zone in the air. We have run screens like this for years with linemen releasing downfield, as long as ball is caught behind los.

htFQfye.jpeg

It's damn close. Close enough to have gone either way, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT