ADVERTISEMENT

The private school boutique team. End this nonsense now.

I have to ask why is open enrollment an attack on Public schools I think it is more or an attack on the old boundaries in many cases?
We own land but it is in the PC school district but boarders and is closer to Monett school district. It just makes more sense for our kids to attend Monett. So why make it inconvenient on parents, it would be a 20 minute trip to go to PC schools versus less than 10 minutes to Monett. But we are stuck with district boundaries that were drawn up over 100 years ago that today make no sense, but PC has to vote the land out and Monett has to vote it in. Sometimes a certain district just makes geographical sense for the parents and students.

Any school that gives scholarships shouldn't be able to compete against those that don't

And yes tuition 'relief' is scholarship money
Sucks to suck

Yea they do. In order to transfer to a private school you have to move within 25 miles. Addresses are on the Mshsaa forms. The only private schools the get an exception are boarding school who get a one time exemption.
Only 25 miles, huh?
53134471719_9bf6de97e0_w.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BoosterBosko
Idk looks like private schools do just fine on the academic side.

This literally be a discussion on this board about a kid transfer to public powerhouse under shady circumstances.
Little easier to have HIGH TEST SCORES when you limit your enrollment and dont take students that need remedial classes to help them or, in most cases, dont take special needs students.

Yah imagine having all those advantages and not winning state every year.

Webb, Blair Oaks and Lamar seem to do just fine. Should I name more?

Only 25 miles, huh?
53134471719_9bf6de97e0_w.jpg

Then change to rule. Question: do state state boundaries count? Answer: they do, so go ahead and cut out Illinois.

Maybe, just maybe you all should consider educating yourself with rules and hold public schools to the same standard.

Then change to rule. Question: do state state boundaries count? Answer: they do, so go ahead and cut out Illinois.

Maybe, just maybe you all should consider educating yourself with rules and hold public schools to the same standard.
State boundaries don't count.

Kids from KS compete at Rockhurst all the time.

Educate yourself.

We lost in the semifinal in 2012 to a private school who had a kid from Illinois on their roster. Kids from other states should not be allowed to play for Missouri state title

We lost in the semifinal in 2012 to a private school who had a kid from Illinois on their roster. Kids from other states should not be allowed to play for Missouri state title

Class 3 Champs had some Illinois guys... i guess its been an ongoing thing.. I knew it happend in STL wondered if it happened in KC as well.... from the comments above I guess it does

I see it happening more now than 20 years ago. I guess people don't set down roots like they use to.
Back in my playing days, "move ins" seemed to be mostly a SEMO area basketball thing.

It was a problem 30 years ago. Especially in the Stl and KC areas.

In reality what Missouri deals with is small. You should check out Georgia.

So... it should be ok for a kid in the Pierce City school district to attend Monett because it's easier for the parents, but privates can't do that?
Never said that, said living in a different state. If they open up school districts, which I think is coming, then the sports landscape will change for both public and private. I had a kid go to private so they could get more one on one and it was worth it.
And even now if you want your kids to go to a different school you just need to own land in that district. you and I both know there are kids living in each other districts around us that attend the high school they don't live in, not because it is better, or because it is for a sport, but because it is better for the family overall for many reasons. Some don't even play sports.

The "move-in" issue is nothing compared to private school team recruiting based on need. It's always the privates with 200-300 students that can bring in 3-4 D1 level ringers and win a Class 2 to Class 4 title. Very shady when they bring in those players and they are on free tuition. Bring in their youth coach, and the core team en masse? Also Shady AF.

It is like little league. You have leagues based on territory, so you actually play with kids in your community. And then you have the hand-picked teams, and tryouts. Funny as hell in the North Suburban. You have tryouts. The top two teams take all the A players. Then everyone else gets what is left. You have the same two teams going near undefeated, and the others just there for background noise. I am glad the egos of the top team coaches are stoked. Good for them. Trophy chasing a second-grade team must be a thrill.

Last edited:
The "move-in" issue is nothing compared to private school team recruiting based on need. It's always the privates with 200-300 students that can bring in 3-4 D1 level ringers and win a Class 2 to Class 4 title. Very shady when they bring in those players and they are on free tuition. Bring in their youth coach, and the core team en masse? Also Shady AF.

It is like little league. You have leagues based on territory, so you actually play with kids in your community. And then you have the hand-picked teams, and tryouts. Funny as hell in the North Suburban. You have tryouts. The top two teams take all the A players. Then everyone else gets what is left. You have the same two teams going near undefeated, and the others just there for background noise. I am glad the egos of the top team coaches are stoked. Good for them. Trophy chasing a second-grade team must be a thrill.

It's ridiculous.

I have taught and coached in public schools for 25 years. Despite having to compete against privates on a regular basis, I don't care one bit how private schools get their student-athletes.
But I don't believe kids from other states should be allowed to compete in the Missouri state playoff.
It is what it is to be beat by Missouri kids in Missouri athletics to end your season. But, to my understanding, the best players for Ritter last year lived in East St. Louis. Similarly, several of the stars for Rockhurst throughout the years have been from Kansas. It is comical that "Mr. Missouri Basketball" has several times been a Kansas resident. I assume the other side of the state experiences something akin to this.
That is my line of acceptability, personally.

I have taught and coached in public schools for 25 years. Despite having to compete against privates on a regular basis, I don't care one bit how private schools get their student-athletes.
But I don't believe kids from other states should be allowed to compete in the Missouri state playoff.
It is what it is to be beat by Missouri kids in Missouri athletics to end your season. But, to my understanding, the best players for Ritter last year lived in East St. Louis. Similarly, several of the stars for Rockhurst throughout the years have been from Kansas. It is comical that "Mr. Missouri Basketball" has several times been a Kansas resident. I assume the other side of the state experiences something akin to this.
IIRC one year a DE from Lenexa, KS was KS Mr. Football.

He played at Rockhurst.

John Maberry Jr. who attended Rockhurt HS was the state baseball player of the year in Missouri, even though he lived in Kansas. He was the best player in the state...Missouri and Kansas. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: 3389
John Maberry Jr. who attended Rockhurt HS was the state baseball player of the year in Missouri, even though he lived in Kansas. He was the best player in the state...Missouri and Kansas. 🤦‍♂️
Connor Teahan and Kyle Wolf both won the Basketball Player of the Year and lived in Leawood, KS, while attending Rockhurst.

I have noticed some schools are now starting to have youth and little league coaches on staff, and in a few cases, head coaches. Bringing that all-star team type mentality to high school. I know schools have to meet MSHSAA standards, but private schools may hire more coaches that don't have education degrees.

One of the biggest changes I have noticed in my years of education and coaching is youth sports used to just be for a few months, and you played with kids from your or the very neighboring town. Nowadays you have kids playing on teams that may be hours away, playing on teams with none of their school mates. Volleyball, softball, baseball, baseketball particularly.

I have noticed some schools are now starting to have youth and little league coaches on staff, and in a few cases, head coaches. Bringing that all-star team type mentality to high school. I know schools have to meet MSHSAA standards, but private schools may hire more coaches that don't have education degrees.

One of the biggest changes I have noticed in my years of education and coaching is youth sports used to just be for a few months, and you played with kids from your or the very neighboring town. Nowadays you have kids playing on teams that may be hours away, playing on teams with none of their school mates. Volleyball, softball, baseball, baseketball particularly.
daddyball coaches have ruined sports.

Reactions: Baldguy and mosofan
Are we talking about Parvin Road..?

you and I both know there are kids living in each other districts around us that attend the high school they don't live in, not because it is better, or because it is for a sport, but because it is better for the family overall for many reasons.
I actually don't know that.

Youth sports have become a financial monopoly. Adults figured out a way to to make money for a living off youth sports. There are good and there bad. In some cases you may have a very talented kid that the only way to get the level of competition is is to go play on a team with players in same caliber of talent. Traveling hours away isn't affecting recruiting. Now it does in the cities for sure when you have so many youth travel teams within a 30 mile radius. As far as coaching in HS, bottom line it is difficult to hire coaches and teachers because HS sports often emulate travel ball. The schools that fully embrace the community and support athletics are the schools that are successful. The turnover of coaches and teachers right now is alarming, and in order to survive as a athletic department you have to try to hire the best candidate that will bring energy and winning to a sport....sadly it is often times someone that will bring baggage and really no educational background. Public schools hire coaches that don't have education degrees as well.

It really isn't to me, about where someone is from. That is a side issue. The REAL issue is recruiting specific players of need, and/or bringing in a youth coach that has built a hand picked team.

That is not what CBC and Rock do. That is not what most privates do.

It has been done a few times recently though from Class 1 to Class 4, where it is easier to get that done.

Watching Smithville vs. St. Mary's showed me that last year. Smithville is the classic well coached town team. St. Mary's was the epitome of a hand-picked clown show.

Reactions: kaskaskiakid
Heck, I think some shady stuff has happened with transfers in St. Francois county. The last two years I've lived here I've seen Park Hills Central have kids that were major contributors to the Farmington and North County squads in PHC gear the next. Is it coincidence and the family just happen to get a new house in the PHC district? Yes. Likely? No, too much of a coincidence for the smallest of the three football playing districts in the county to have that many transfers.
It DOES happen in publics too folks. And it's strategic and flies under the radar and usually just isn't as blatant as it is with privates.

The lines are blurry in St. Francois County. The sharing of kids from PHC to NC to Farmington is pretty commonplace. And it’s not a well-kept secret. Park Hills needed a corner and wide receiver, and by golly they got one from Farmington.

The list of players on Cardinal Ritter that transferred from other schools is asinine. And they were ALL immediately eligible. At least 6 from ESL. Pipeline.

The lines are blurry in St. Francois County. The sharing of kids from PHC to NC to Farmington is pretty commonplace. And it’s not a well-kept secret. Park Hills needed a corner and wide receiver, and by golly they got one from Farmington.

The list of players on Cardinal Ritter that transferred from other schools is asinine. And they were ALL immediately eligible. At least 6 from ESL. Pipeline.
And the PHC/NC/Farm triangle is not limited to football or the boys sports. The smaller schools in the Leadbelt lose some kids, too.

PHC has surpassed NC and Farm as the top dog in sports in the Mineral Area, and thus makes PHC an attractive option for mom and dad with athletic scholarship dreams for Timmy and Susie playing on a state ranked team and playoff exposure (which I believe fuels 90% of athletes transfers - not undue influence). Move a few miles. Nothing illegal about it and impossible to prevent. It's become commonplace everywhere now.

Case in Point:

St. Mary's
WINS: #7221 Waterloo (IL) (30-23)

LOSSES:
#988 St. Louis University (St. Louis, MO) (38-21),
#4339 Lutheran (St. Peters, MO) (20-19),
#4497 Hazelwood East (St. Louis, MO) (25-14)

Do public schools not get caught with ineligible players. At least CRCP admin took responsibility and cancelled the rest of their season. I’ve never heard anyone do that
Yes, public schools get caught all the time. So many public schools do this and refuse to acknowledge it. The hazard here is many coaches and administrators are the ones to report students illegally attending a school. This means for instance:
1) Joey N wants to attend school at Liberty North but lives within NKC borders.
- he needs legal residence for LN (can use false address of relative or "rent" an apartment)
2) To be reported, the reporter must attach their name to the filed report.

Many people don't want their name attached.

Park Hill and Staley had a squabble over a player a few years ago. LSW takes in kids from Grandview, BS and BSS take kids from Grain and Independence, LSN takes in kids from Raytown and Raytown South. Liberty North and Liberty take in kids from NKC district. LN has a kid Juice Love who was the RB1 at a state quaterfinalist Center in C4 last season. Hell, Platte County had a QB a few years ago from Shawnee Mission East. It's common practice across the board, just takes someone with courage to step up and stop it.

I'm not saying people are moving for sports as the kids deserve to be at a school that can allow them better education, access to care, etc. Vouchers could do this or make it a mad gambit to recruit like a college program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT