ADVERTISEMENT

They just need to work harder

Pancho and Lefty

Feb 6, 2007
Basketball related but a coincidence of this type is too big to pass up. 11 of the first 14 STL today prep sport headlines are private/parochial. JB, CR, Vianney, Chaminade, DeSmet, Lutheran St. Charles, Incarnate Word, JB again, Cor Jesu, St Pius, Principia. Might need to buy a lotto ticket tonight with those odds! Tell me again why we shouldn't have separate public/private school playoffs? If they want to play them during the regular season, then by all means schedule them, multiple times if you like. IMO the success factor in volley and basketball should have no effect, you only have 5 on the floor at at time.

Not that there aren’t arguments to be made but idk if basketball is the place to hang your hat in terms of recruiting being a private school issue.

Vashon is going for its 7th title since 2016 and 4th consecutive..

Reactions: B Boucher_9
We’ve known that for many years. Since one of their players was shot in front of their house. In Jennings.

Yes 6 of 24 final 4 stops shows a clear domination of private schools.

What it shows is the multiplier is working.
You could also take the theory what percentage of schools are public vs private and factor that in there that for a small percentage of overall teams, the privates are winning a large percentage of games..
From MSHSAA - 551 boys teams and 519 girls teams.

Google stats show about 12% of Mo students attend private schools. US news shows that there are 149 private HS in MO. I would guess maybe 1/3 of them have HS bball?

Last edited:
You could also take the theory what percentage of schools are public vs private and factor that in there.
From MSHSAA - 55

961 high schools in Missouri, made up of 794 public schools and 167 private schools.

In addition, about 11.50 percent of school-age children in the state attended private schools in the 2011-2012 academic year, and an estimated 2.67 percent were homeschooled in 2012-2013.

You can also take the theory the top 10 public schools win the majority of state championships.

I’ve looked into other sports such football and wrestling. The top 10 public schools win more titles than all private schools combined.

You can also take the theory the top 10 public schools win the majority of state championships.

I’ve looked into other sports such football and wrestling. The top 10 public schools win more titles than all private schools combined.
If we are going to cherry pick sports, did you look at Tennis and Golf?

00fa64ab-006d-4512-89d4-e502cb445d68_text.gif

Which is big time in Missouri High Schools. State Championship packs the building. Thinking you are clueless by your response!!!
Actually a big fan of wrestling. I wrestled from when I was 5 years old through High School.. The popularity here, is nothing compared to where I grew up.... My point was to not cherry pick sports to make it sound more like public and private are on even ground.

Actually a big fan of wrestling. I wrestled from when I was 5 years old through High School.. The popularity here, is nothing compared to where I grew up.... My point was to not cherry pick sports to make it sound more like public and private are on even ground.

Those were 2 sports that were part of a previous conversation. Nothing Cherry picked about it. Outside of Tennis, golf and girls volleyball. Private schools don’t dominate as much as people act.

You cherry picked 2 sports that are dominated by people of high economic and social status which should come a no surprise certain private schools dominate.

Missouri is easily a top 10 state as far as popularity and quality for HS wrestling. And the crazy part is, it’s only getting more popular here

You just need to go into the multi purpose building on the John Burroughs campus. They have a wall of all the state championships they have won in all sports.
It’s an absolute joke how many they have for one school. Now add in CBC and all the others and tell me public-private shouldn’t be separate. It’s common sense.

You just need to go into the multi purpose building on the John Burroughs campus. They have a wall of all the state championships they have won in all sports.
It’s an absolute joke how many they have for one school. Now add in CBC and all the others and tell me public-private shouldn’t be separate. It’s common sense.
woman-screaming-noooo-ikjg23exqo1zynuh.gif

And they’d still have those championships.

How about we making everyone a doc that shows up to class 50% of the time. That’s all you need to get a public school diploma these days.

How about we making everyone a doc that shows up to class 50% of the time. That’s all you need to get a public school diploma these days.
That doesn't happen in public schools that i've seen.

How about some evidence of a few districts that do this.

Thanks.

Sorry! I disagree! Not all public schools are the same…. And all private schools are not the same. On this board, everyone struggles with understanding that and always will.

Sorry! I disagree! Not all public schools are the same…. And all private schools are not the same. On this board, everyone struggles with understanding that and always will.

Disagreeing doesn’t change the fact it is happening in a lot of districts across the state. Especially after DESE started using attendance to distribute funds. It hurt many urban and rural districts that already struggle.

Disagreeing doesn’t change the fact it is happening in a lot of districts across the state. Especially after DESE started using attendance to distribute funds. It hurt many urban and rural districts that already struggle.
Now I agree…. But “in a lot” tells us nothing.

What schools allow 50% attendance?

Look, I’m not going to call out struggle school districts but the info is out there. It’s simple. Look for districts with failing reports and low graduation rates. Many have dropped attendance requirements for graduation just to boost numbers. They don’t even track attendance at all in some alt schools.

Maybe you are in a great district but it would appear you are blind to ones that struggle.

School enrollment and attendance are down at most places. Families are smaller now, and more people are deciding not to have kids.

Schools and juvenile services are pretty overwhelmed with so much that they can't/don't check in on families who aren't sending their kids to school. IMO they should send a police officer to knock on their doors, but obv the police are also overwhelmed. Hard to legislate society problems.

MO law requires attendance. Some guardians have been prosecuted for violations.

That was given a waiver during Covid and hasn’t been reinstated. Districts aren’t pushing for it either.

Think it’s a joke. They are still handing out Covid waivers for A+ as well. Kid in my district had less than 75% attendance and received one.

That was given a waiver during Covid and hasn’t been reinstated. Districts aren’t pushing for it either.

Think it’s a joke. They are still handing out Covid waivers for A+ as well. Kid in my district had less than 75% attendance and received one.
There were convictions in MO in August 2023.

In fact, a coach got on the girls basketball mosports board pleading for the IWA coach not to play in districts last year because no team would stand a chance against them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT