ADVERTISEMENT

Bowling Green at Lamar

I like Lamar 35-28. I think their defensive style and amoeba-like defense (4-3) benefits them against a team like BG who breaks the huddle and runs a play so quickly after sprinting to the ball. They have guys who can play strong or weak, against a TE or open.
I think BG has some advantages, particularly RBs vs LBs. The Lamar DL technique is great against teams like BG with the veer and counter action. I also think Lamar can score 35+, wouldn’t surprise me if they get to 42 or 49.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Keep on discounting Bowling Green, Our boys welcome the challenge… They had East Buchanan up 38-0 before they knew what happened. Lamar has earned their reputation. Should be a great game.
that may well be, but I don't see 8 titles recently from bowling green. Lamar is a different cat than what most programs ever see

Totally agree!!! Bowling green has not even played close to the schedule Lamar has. That will be there downfall running up the score on those class 1 teams up north. When they play a perennial power who has been to like 15 straight quarters or semis that who they play has something to do with there post season runs. BG has done great padding there stats but those days are over on Saturday.
This is a lot to unpack. First, there is a grand total of 2 Class 1 teams on their schedule. Second, this isn't their first rodeo, they made it this far last year. Most importantly, what does pedigree have to do with anything? I'm sure Lamar is different than last season, I know BG is.
that may well be, but I don't see 8 titles recently from bowling green. Lamar is a different cat than what most programs ever see
Legacy means diddly poo for this year's teams. Both teams have extended playoff experience (meaning the past two seasons). It's going to be a step up from what both teams have seen to this point in this year's playoffs. Just consider yourself lucky to see another championship game quality contest at home (don't know for sure and not interested enough to look, but it seems like y'all have hosted a lot more semi's than traveled over the years).

This is a lot to unpack. First, there is a grand total of 2 Class 1 teams on their schedule. Second, this isn't their first rodeo, they made it this far last year. Most importantly, what does pedigree have to do with anything? I'm sure Lamar is different than last season, I know BG is.

Legacy means diddly poo for this year's teams. Both teams have extended playoff experience (meaning the past two seasons). It's going to be a step up from what both teams have seen to this point in this year's playoffs. Just consider yourself lucky to see another championship game quality contest at home (don't know for sure and not interested enough to look, but it seems like y'all have hosted a lot more semi's than traveled over the years).
I would say Seneca is comparable. Yes they beat Lamar, but Lamar has seen very good competition.

Not disagreeing, but we have nothing to do with MSHSAA and the rules they put in place for who hosts. I thought we’d be on the road since the round before the district championship game either against Higginsville, or against BG. Not sure why it’s like this, this year.

I would say Seneca is comparable. Yes they beat Lamar, but Lamar has seen very good competition.
That's why I said this years playoffs. Yes, Lamar has been tested more during the season as a whole, no doubt.

Calpreps has this as a 1 point game, 35 to 34 on a neutral field. Also need to keep in mind BG has been stout on defense save the South Shelby game (more a nod to how good SS was than an indictment of BG) and that game was never really in doubt as they couldn't stop Bryant consistently. Can Lamar? I have my doubts, but it will be fun to see.

Not disagreeing, but we have nothing to do with MSHSAA and the rules they put in place for who hosts. I thought we’d be on the road since the round before the district championship game either against Higginsville, or against BG. Not sure why it’s like this, this year.
Getting the first round bye (so that's one game less hosted) is the reason.

Reactions: 503_Maple
I think BG is good enough to overcome (and has some games to back it up) to show they are not only up for the challenge, but
That's why I said this years playoffs. Yes, Lamar has been tested more during the season as a whole, no doubt.

Calpreps has this as a 1 point game, 35 to 34 on a neutral field. Also need to keep in mind BG has been stout on defense save the South Shelby game (more a nod to how good SS was than an indictment of BG) and that game was never really in doubt as they couldn't stop Bryant consistently. Can Lamar? I have my doubts, but it will be fun to see.
Since Someone will say it, if I don’t. This point is about up to now. Not about what ends up happening in this game. BG Defense hasn’t played any good offenses outside of the 2 playoff games they have had all season.(SS and EB) Take a gander at the results of the teams Lamar has played. That’s kinda silly cards.

Lamar has played multiple teams that won districts, and played up till this last weekend, or still are playing now. Who are bigger schools. Hate to be like this, but the SOS is non comparable.

Yes, most actual Lamar fans don’t think we are entirely stopping Bryant. Those two you’ve tagged are not in our community. If they are? I haven’t seen them very often on here. It will be a good game. Hope you get to watch. BG is really good, Lamar better be ready.

seems like y'all have hosted a lot more semi's than traveled over the years
Bored at work, and I actually felt the opposite.. so I looked it up. I'll preface that this is off maxpreps. I remember many, but not all...

2010- AT Maplewood
2011- AT Maplewood
2012- Home vs Caruthersville (biased opinion- I'm getting vibes of this game this week)
2013- AT Lutheran North
2014- AT Malden
2015- AT Lafayette Co
2016- AT Brentwood
2017- AT Lutheran North
2018- AT Lathrop
2019-N/A (Quarterfinal loss @ Ava?)
2020- Home vs Jefferson
2021- Home vs Richmond
2022- AT Seneca
2023- Home vs Bowling Green

so in 14 years there have been 13 trips to the semis, with 4 of those being hosted.

Bored at work, and I actually felt the opposite.. so I looked it up. I'll preface that this is off maxpreps. I remember many, but not all...

2010- AT Maplewood
2011- AT Maplewood
2012- Home vs Caruthersville (biased opinion- I'm getting vibes of this game this week)
2013- AT Lutheran North
2014- AT Malden
2015- AT Lafayette Co
2016- AT Brentwood
2017- AT Lutheran North
2018- AT Lathrop
2020- Home vs Jefferson
2021- Home vs Richmond
2022- AT Seneca

so in 14 years there have been 13 trips to the semis, with 4 of those being hosted.
We were home for Seneca last year! We played at Seneca during regular season!

2010- AT Maplewood
2011- AT Maplewood
2013- AT Lutheran North
2014- AT Malden
2015- AT Lafayette Co
2016- AT Brentwood
2017- AT Lutheran North
2018- AT Lathrop
2020- Home vs Jefferson
2021- Home vs Richmond
2022- AT Seneca

Maxpreps is not accurate, 2011 Maplewood, 2015 Lafayete Co, 2019 QTR Ava, and 2022 Seneca were in Lamar.

2010- AT Maplewood
2011- AT Maplewood
2013- AT Lutheran North
2014- AT Malden
2015- AT Lafayette Co
2016- AT Brentwood
2017- AT Lutheran North
2018- AT Lathrop
2020- Home vs Jefferson
2021- Home vs Richmond
2022- AT Seneca

Mshsaa.org would be a way better source

2010- AT Maplewood
2011- AT Maplewood
2013- AT Lutheran North
2014- AT Malden
2015- AT Lafayette Co
2016- AT Brentwood
2017- AT Lutheran North
2018- AT Lathrop
2020- Home vs Jefferson
2021- Home vs Richmond
2022- AT Seneca

You mentioned the Caruthersville game and what I remember was how Lamar wasn’t going to be able to stop their stud RB that year.

Reactions: catch_21
I am excited about this game and started the thread because in my opinion “on paper” this looks like a great matchup. Two juggernauts meeting up this Saturday afternoon, within a short drive for me, with everything on the line. One of them’s great season will end, the other will be hoisting the big trophy in Columbia (many of us predicting that, at least).

I can’t wait to see the BG offense that has been highly touted, against the vaunted Tigers’ defense. And if someone asked me to put a hundred on a bet, I’d place it on Lamar putting lots of scores on the board.

Midway thru the week, and with no disrespect intended, I just don’t believe BG will be able to outscore Lamar.

Lamar was lucky in their placement at the top this year with the tie going to the top in odd years. They would have hosted Layfette Co or St. Michael with Layfette Co hosting more in district and St. Michael hosting the same as Lamar and tie goes to the top. Lamar would have hosted Bowling Green or South Shelby with each hosting 3 games thru Quarterfinals, same as Lamar and tie goes to the top. Lamar would have had to travel to East Buchanan with them hosting 2 games thru Quarters.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE

2010- AT Maplewood
2011- AT Maplewood
2013- AT Lutheran North
2014- AT Malden
2015- AT Lafayette Co
2016- AT Brentwood
2017- AT Lutheran North
2018- AT Lathrop
2020- Home vs Jefferson
2021- Home vs Richmond
2022- AT Seneca

Thanks for looking. Sure seemed from a distance it was more. Guess it's recency bias.

Another thing that's almost not fair with Lamar is that they have at least 3 coaches on that side line that each could coach at some college levels with a handful of other really good coaches behind them. Lamar's ability to adjust defensively because of Wilkerson and Bailey is why you see Lamar pulling farther ahead as the game goes on. This is why I say it's almost not fair with Beshore's ability to call a great offensive game with input from the crow's nest and those two on defense. Those 3 are home town boys with an interest in Lamar and Lamar football is very fortunate because of it.

I am excited about this game and started the thread because in my opinion “on paper” this looks like a great matchup. Two juggernauts meeting up this Saturday afternoon, within a short drive for me, with everything on the line. One of them’s great season will end, the other will be hoisting the big trophy in Columbia (many of us predicting that, at least).

I can’t wait to see the BG offense that has been highly touted, against the vaunted Tigers’ defense. And if someone asked me to put a hundred on a bet, I’d place it on Lamar putting lots of scores on the board.

Midway thru the week, and with no disrespect intended, I just don’t believe BG will be able to outscore Lamar.
I don't see how Lamar is going to keep up lol. We're all going to learn something from this one. Worth every penny to stream it from afar.

Reactions: NEMOFball
You mentioned the Caruthersville game and what I remember was how Lamar wasn’t going to be able to stop their stud RB that year.

bingo-hans-landa.gif

In 2019 Lamar was actually the 2 seed in districts and had to travel to Fair Grove for district champ game, which Lamar won. The following week Ava came to Lamar and won 26-14. Ava went on to win a close Semi-Final to Clark County, then got rolled by Lutheran North in Columbia.

Reactions: Keyboard_QB
Not underestimating BG. Lamar has been beat by better teams over the years and this Saturday that could certainly happen again. Sounds like they are the real deal.

But year after year there have been offenses, players, etc that Lamar won’t be able to stop. 50+ points a game.. etc etc. And time and time again they prove otherwise, many times handily, as those schools have never played a team with the physicality, depth, and strength of scheme as Lamar. Fair Grove multiple times, MV Liberty countless times, all the STL schools filled with 4-5 star recruits..

BG could be the team to get them. If they truly are a run heavy/power type team, they will deserve all the credit in the world if they end up on top, as historically that has been the one way to NOT succeed against Lamar’s D.

Another thing that's almost not fair with Lamar is that they have at least 3 coaches on that side line that each could coach at some college levels with a handful of other really good coaches behind them. Lamar's ability to adjust defensively because of Wilkerson and Bailey is why you see Lamar pulling farther ahead as the game goes on. This is why I say it's almost not fair with Beshore's ability to call a great offensive game with input from the crow's nest and those two on defense. Those 3 are home town boys with an interest in Lamar and Lamar football is very fortunate because of it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wilkerson is from Stockton if it is Chris. He is a Pitt guy.

Reactions: l_Pete_l
The real factor is how many are on BG's roster. The stud is surely going to play defense, and have to chase Lamar's 6 score any play playmakers . Watch the last 2 games and you see a lot of non Red and Black uniform players with hands on hips sucking for air

The real factor is how many are on BG's roster. The stud is surely going to play defense, and have to chase Lamar's 6 score any play playmakers . Watch the last 2 games and you see a lot of non Red and Black uniform players with hands on hips sucking for air
Huge factor time and time again, especially being in Class 2. I think that was the deciding factor with Adrian. They had the juice that first half. Just couldn’t sustain.

Yes but pick a year and there was always someone they wasn’t going to be able to stop.
And for every one of those years, there were a host of Lamar fans beating their chests as well.
It’s what fans do, on either side of the coin. We’ve all done it, and we’ve all had it done to us.

Reactions: Arcola
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT