ADVERTISEMENT

STATE CHAMPIONSHIP REFORM IDEA

Have wondered about this.... I believe that its because: Not all privates are created equally. The majority do things the right way. Those schools develop relationships with the ADs and Sups at the public schools and when it comes time to vote, those relationships outweigh, the "cheaters".
Look at Rockhurst for example... their AD is Tom Kruse and Kelly Donohoe is the football coach... their buddies arent going to actively vote to hurt them.

1. Make the District Championship mean something. Bigger trophies. Not everyone qualifies for District play. Create a system in which teams look forward to winning Districts. This should be as far as Geographic Representation goes. When it comes to the state tournament. All Kansas City, SWMO schools shouldn't knock each other out in the "playoffs". Why can't two Kansas City schools play each other in the Class 4 state championship game.

2. Eliminate the Championship Factor. This doesn't work against the bigger programs. I get that the creators were trying to penalize Trinity Catholic and the small private schools, making sure that they didn't monopolize the Class 2 State Championship. Eventually yes, it takes care of it's self in regards to the smaller privates, but the Championship Factor does nothing to penalize CBC, Rockhurst, Desmet etc.

3. Reduce the amount of classes. The State Championship in Missouri is fairly watered down due to the amount of classes and geographic representation. I could be wrong, but Missouri should not have the same amount of football classes as Texas. Again, make the District Championship mean something. MSHSAA is trying to create too many State Champions and I've heard that it's all about either revenue and/or geographic representation. In Missouri 4 classes should be enough.

4. Class 5 and 6 should be an All-Private school division. Class 5, small private schools. Class 6, larger private schools. MSHSAA is not going to remove the private schools from the equation. So the only way to counter would be to ditch the geographic representation idea as mentioned above. As MOST privates exist in the STL region, the current system of geographic representation constantly pits public schools from different sides of the state against the STL private schools. Let the privates compete within their own classes under the MSHSAA umbrella. Everyone wins.

Maybe one idea makes sense, maybe they all make sense. Maybe none make sense. These are just my random ideas and thoughts on how MSHSAA can improve their current systems.
In my opinion the only thing that really NEEDS to change is getting the private schools into their own division(s). Either that or allow public schools to recruit, offer scholarships, and to limit enrollment based on whatever criteria best suits the interest and mission of the school.

If we get rid of geography then yeah we could maybe have 2 KC schools play each other in the championship, which is fine. But that doesn't help my teams. Not sure I would be in favor of letting a Lees Summit wait until the last round to play Ft O (just picking names at random) but telling Webb and Carthage or Nixa and Joplin they still have to play each other in round 0 even if they are believed to be 1 and 2 in the state. Not saying they are 1 and 2, just a 'what if'.

If we separated the private schools then I think 5 classes would be fine for the remaining public schools. Make a large and small private division. Or just one. Who cares what they do once they are in their own division.

I'm not entirely sure I love the championship factor IF private schools are removed from the equation. That just seems like penalizing a school for succeeding. I would be at least open to the idea of some kind of poverty factor though that could move a school down.

Fortunately, the teams that win the state titles can now claim that they are the best in the state.
If private schools are ever separate, all state titles will have an *.

• Haha
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
In my opinion the only thing that really NEEDS to change is getting the private schools into their own division(s). Either that or allow public schools to recruit, offer scholarships, and to limit enrollment based on whatever criteria best suits the interest and mission of the school.

If we get rid of geography then yeah we could maybe have 2 KC schools play each other in the championship, which is fine. But that doesn't help my teams. Not sure I would be in favor of letting a Lees Summit wait until the last round to play Ft O (just picking names at random) but telling Webb and Carthage or Nixa and Joplin they still have to play each other in round 0 even if they are believed to be 1 and 2 in the state. Not saying they are 1 and 2, just a 'what if'.

If we separated the private schools then I think 5 classes would be fine for the remaining public schools. Make a large and small private division. Or just one. Who cares what they do once they are in their own division.

I'm not entirely sure I love the championship factor IF private schools are removed from the equation. That just seems like penalizing a school for succeeding. I would be at least open to the idea of some kind of poverty factor though that could move a school down.
Very good points. 5 classes would be sufficient, and then 1 private.

Putting privates in their own class doesn't require an * any more than you should put one on the class 1 or class 2 winners. If that's the case we need to get rid of classes for all sports and just have 1 state champion per sport.

Reactions: Craig Hull
When a school can let someone play for a state championship tha is not from this state, then put them in a private class.

Reactions: 65TPT
Putting privates in their own class doesn't require an * any more than you should put one on the class 1 or class 2 winners. If that's the case we need to get rid of classes for all sports and just have 1 state champion per sport.
It baffles me how some folks don’t seem to understand that private schools operate in an entirely different reality than public schools.

And state championships already have an * by designating as class 5 or whatever state champion. The trophy doesn’t say state champ it says class 5 state champ. Some people seem to get hung up on wanting to just have THE singular best team in the state which I get to a point, but I think it’s good to use classes to factoring in advantages of larger talent pool in larger schools. Just wish there was a class took into consideration those schools that can cast a much wider and more selective net.

What about if Theodosia won a state title? A part of their public school district is in Arkansas.
hillbilly.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HomeyR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT