ADVERTISEMENT

Classification question

ChaoticFanatic

Mar 12, 2009
THE OZARKS
This is an honest question and no shade or complaints to this.

How many schools are in a smaller class in basketball than football?

I could be wrong, but DeSmet seems to have been Class 6 in football for quite some time, but they’re class 5 in basketball… a sport with more teams and statewide participation?

Is it just the success factor or something that is keeping them 6 in football? Because the private multiplier would factor in for all sports

This is an honest question and no shade or complaints to this.

How many schools are in a smaller class in basketball than football?

I could be wrong, but DeSmet seems to have been Class 6 in football for quite some time, but they’re class 5 in basketball… a sport with more teams and statewide participation?

Is it just the success factor or something that is keeping them 6 in football? Because the private multiplier would factor in for all sports

DeSmet has only won two basketball district titles in the past 11 years, hence they hadn't moved up. They will be in Class 6 next year.

Football just takes into account only the schools that have football in their breakdown I believe. It happens all the time. Success factor is biggest key. Tolton is class 4 in basketball and class 2 in football. JC is class 5 in bball and class 4 in FB.

Football just takes into account only the schools that have football in their breakdown I believe. It happens all the time. Success factor is biggest key. Tolton is class 4 in basketball and class 2 in football. JC is class 5 in bball and class 4 in FB.
I get that. Makes sense. It’s just not often you see a team that’s Class 6 in football and 5 in basketball.

Or not that I’ve noticed at least.

Centralia is a public school, girls basketball class 3, boys basketball class 4.
That’s because when you factory in privates, state-wide there is a different of girls and boys schools that play basketball.

I believe the same thing happened with Thayer this year.

That’s because when you factory in privates, state-wide there is a different of girls and boys schools that play basketball.

I believe the same thing happened with Thayer this year.
SO....you force Centralia boys to move up a class because you have a different number in class 4? Why not move a class 3 private school up to class 4?

Due to a MSHSAA By-Law voted in by the membership, boys and girls basketball have different class structures based on the number of schools. There are 20 fewer schools with girls basketball than with boys.
No By-Law that effects track or cross country where public schools will always be in the same class.

DeSmet has only won two basketball district titles in the past 11 years, hence they hadn't moved up. They will be in Class 6 next year.
I bet with this new structure, we start seeing more of this situation with the big privates in STL. A few years of not winning will put them in a lower class, then they can compete for a FF so then they will move up. Only way to avoid that is spread the big privates out in district play so they all have a shot to win a district. This wouldn't surprise me either.

Also interesting that all the STL teams that are in the FF are private (Burroughs, Vianney, Desmet, Ritter, Chaminade) plus Vashon.

Reactions: nwlions
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't DeSmet an all boys school? If so, how in the world are they a class 5 school in basketball?
They have an enrollment of 860 students (for 3 classes) which puts them in the same school size as Hillsboro (857), Holt (858), Grandview (865). It's an all boys school, but there are over 1,000 boys in the school.

They have an enrollment of 860 students (for 3 classes) which puts them in the same school size as Hillsboro (857), Holt (858), Grandview (865). It's an all boys school, but there are over 1,000 boys in the school.

I believe enrollment is doubled still for schools that are all one gender.

I thought there was a stipulation if it was an all boys school though?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't DeSmet an all boys school? If so, how in the world are they a class 5 school in basketball?
did mshsaa screw up again ?

tenor.gif

Is de Smet an all boys school?

De Smet Jesuit High School is a highly rated, private, all-boys, Catholic school located in ST. LOUIS, MO. It has 672 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1.

Is de Smet an all boys school?

De Smet Jesuit High School is a highly rated, private, all-boys, Catholic school located in ST. LOUIS, MO. It has 672 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1.
I'm being told the modifier was maybe removed.

Why?

Last edited:
I'm being told the modifier was removed.

Why?
They only take 3 years of students. So if 672 is their population and you take away around 168 kids (1/4) then that leaves them at 504. Double-that and you are at 1008 and the cutoff was 1075 for class 6 so class 5 would be the appropriate class.

Reactions: bigcats05
The 1.35 multiplier was removed when they went to the success factor. Schools with all boys and all girls still have their enrollments doubled like they did when they had the multiplier.

They only take 3 years of students. So if 672 is their population and you take away around 168 kids (1/4) then that leaves them at 504. Double-that and you are at 1008 and the cutoff was 1075 for class 6 so class 5 would be the appropriate class.
i see de smet at 860 on MSHSAA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT