ADVERTISEMENT

For all the rules experts…

Mitsurugi san

Nov 10, 2009
Do they have some exception in high school for the punt team that they only have to have 5 men on the line of scrimmage? 🤔

Heck, doesnt matter if the guys and stripes cant count right anyway.. :D

Do they have some exception in high school for the punt team that they only have to have 5 men on the line of scrimmage? 🤔
Gotta have 7 on the LOS. You could have 5 interior plus a couple of wideouts-gunners or any other combination, but need to have 7 on the line.

not specifically, just know they struggled all night. One of the TDs that was called back never should have been and they knew it. The worst was the time that we only got 3 downs before turning it over on downs. But kept telling myself, it was game one of the year for them too....
Your reply leads me to believe that you know exactly why I posted this 🤣

not specifically, just know they struggled all night. One of the TDs that was called back never should have been and they knew it. The worst was the time that we only got 3 downs before turning it over on downs. But kept telling myself, it was game one of the year for them too....
I was actually talking about the JV game Monday; Reeds JV punt formation only had five on the line every time, with the rest very obviously off the ball (not just like an end with his foot too far back, but like actually in the backfield 🤷🏻‍♂️)

If they had six players in the backfield it should’ve been a penalty. But you’re talking JV. I’ve seen refs have to physically move kids to align receivers legally in JV.

Gotta have 7 on the LOS. You could have 5 interior plus a couple of wideouts-gunners or any other combination, but need to have 7 on the line.

That is sort of true. The way the rule (2-14-1) reads now, when you have 11 on the field (99% of the time) the math works out that you need 7 on the line. But you could still have a legal formation if you had fewer than 11 on the field without having seven on the line since the rule reads: “A scrimmage formation requires a minimum of 5 A players legally on their line at the snap.” Rule 7-2-5-a says: “No more than 4 A players may be backs…” Practically speaking, that means 7 on the line, but there are situations where fewer could be on the line when 11 players didn’t make it onto the field.

Reactions: Treadmill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT