ADVERTISEMENT

Controversy in Slater with

going to 8 man football. is it that bad to go 8 man? Not sure what their numbers were like.

It took Orrick several years of sending out teams of 15 (or less) players, severely dwindling enrollment, and several contentious board meetings to figure out that 8-man was the only way they could realistically go.

Reactions: hangmanbobbyjaggers
It took Orrick several years of sending out teams of 15 (or less) players, severely dwindling enrollment, and several contentious board meetings to figure out that 8-man was the only way they could realistically go.
I assume that is the case with Slater. Although they are independent and can play a schedule of like teams in 11 man. Russellville for example won a lot in the regular season by doing this.

I assume that is the case with Slater. Although they are independent and can play a schedule of like teams in 11 man. Russellville for example won a lot in the regular season by doing this.
I am not totally sure if you meant Slater was an independent in 11-man, because they weren't. They were in the Western Missouri Conference for football. But maybe you meant for them being that in 8-man. Now the other 9 teams in the Western Missouri will be scrambling to find a game to replace them. But is Crest Ridge next to drop to 8-man? How about Midway and Wellington? That will shoot a big hole in that conference.

I almost fell asleep just reading this post!
That is because your ex is gone and you lay in your recliner all day!
fat-gainer-fat-belly.gif

I am not totally sure if you meant Slater was an independent in 11-man, because they weren't. They were in the Western Missouri Conference for football. But maybe you meant for them being that in 8-man. Now the other 9 teams in the Western Missouri will be scrambling to find a game to replace them. But is Crest Ridge next to drop to 8-man? How about Midway and Wellington? That will shoot a big hole in that conference.
They were independent for a few years before that. Why not go back to that route, IF the numbers were good.

going to 8 man football. is it that bad to go 8 man? Not sure what their numbers were like.
When the Rams in St. Louis were bad...I asked a friend of mine why he continued to buy season tickets...he answered, "Even BAD football is better than NO football."

So...I would say that EIGHT MAN football is much better than NO football.

Looking at MSHSAA, Slater had 28 players on their roster with 7 being Seniors. They had 16 players on their JH roster and 12 were 8th grade. Doesn't mean they finished with that many. In the last 4 years they are 13-25, including going 7-4 in 2019.

Looking at MSHSAA, Slater had 28 players on their roster with 7 being Seniors. They had 16 players on their JH roster and 12 were 8th grade. Doesn't mean they finished with that many. In the last 4 years they are 13-25, including going 7-4 in 2019.
Sounds to me like they could stay 11 man. I do not think they realize that teams will score 100 points on them in 8 man.

Winsor lost 11 seniors right? How about the Greyhounds?

When the Rams in St. Louis were bad...I asked a friend of mine why he continued to buy season tickets...he answered, "Even BAD football is better than NO football."

So...I would say that EIGHT MAN football is much better than NO football.
USFL would be thriving then

Winsor lost 11 seniors right? How about the Greyhounds?
If you are asking if Windsor will be going to 8-man, the answer is no. Right now they are too big and I don't see that happening. They could pick up a couple of kids from Calhoun with them closing their HS.

If you are asking if Windsor will be going to 8-man, the answer is no. Right now they are too big and I don't see that happening. They could pick up a couple of kids from Calhoun with them closing their HS.
Hadn't heard the Calhoun news. When is the HS closing effective? i assume the students will have their choice of any adjoining district?

Hadn't heard the Calhoun news. When is the HS closing effective? i assume the students will have their choice of any adjoining district?
Next year, and from what I heard they can either go to Clinton, Leeton or Windsor. But the school will only pay transportation to one school. They don't have a lot of kids; I think 25 this year. They probably should have went to K-6 instead of K-8, but they didn't ask me.

This is an interesting read from Iowa sports forum. They talk about numbers and such addressing playing time.

I didn't realize they were over 150.
Lincoln lost a bunch too and only had one junior on the roster.

Slater's long time home, the Lewis & Clark Conference is going to 8 man football. The other conference in their geography area - the I-70 Conference is basically all 8 man football. The schools Slater has traditionally have played on their schedule are all 8 man now. It makes sense for them to go this route than continue in that hodge pod of a football league they play in now.

Slater's long time home, the Lewis & Clark Conference is going to 8 man football. The other conference in their geography area - the I-70 Conference is basically all 8 man football. The schools Slater has traditionally have played on their schedule are all 8 man now. It makes sense for them to go this route than continue in that hodge pod of a football league they play in now.
It wasn't a confused mixture. Just too top heavy

Fayette, Westran, Salisbury and Marceline are going 8 man too?

Fayette, Westran, Salisbury and Marceline are going 8 man too?
Marceline is going to the Grand River Conference with Brookfield in 2024.

Westran and Salisbury in 2024 going 8 man. Lewis & Clark already picked up North Shelby.

Fayette and Harrisburg looking to Show Me Conference with that league starting up football.

Westran and Salisbury in 2024 going 8 man. Lewis & Clark already picked up North Shelby.

Fayette and Harrisburg looking to Show Me Conference with that league starting up football.
Well that is not all going 8 man

I hadn't heard about Westran and Salisbury. When did that happen?

Not sure what West Central Football teams had rosters of 40 plus?

Actually if they go 8 man they will end up playing teams with much larger rosters than they played in the West Central.

Actually they have picked up the schedule of Keytesville as that co-op will only play JV next year.

Midway also had 41 kids out for football (28 for Slater and 30 for Wellington-Napoleon).
31 for Tipton. Don't think are going 8 man.
Lincoln lost a huge senior class and only had 1 junior. They aren't stepping down to 8 man for a year because they may struggle.

Cole Camp had 30ish. They lost a lot of good seniors. They aren't dropping to 8 man.

Midway is a good example. Sell your culture, get kids out and work. Don't duck out because you're getting your tail kicked. Get better.
They will. That freshman class just wasn't ready yet.

Archie, drexel with miami, and Rich Hill dropped because they couldn't compete in 11 man. Simple as that. Don't need any excuses.

Reactions: 7trips5rings
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT