ADVERTISEMENT

Controversy in Slater with

31 for Tipton. Don't think are going 8 man.
Lincoln lost a huge senior class and only had 1 junior. They aren't stepping down to 8 man for a year because they may struggle.

Cole Camp had 30ish. They lost a lot of good seniors. They aren't dropping to 8 man.

Midway is a good example. Sell your culture, get kids out and work. Don't duck out because you're getting your tail kicked. Get better.
They will. That freshman class just wasn't ready yet.

Archie, drexel with miami, and Rich Hill dropped because they couldn't compete in 11 man. Simple as that. Don't need any excuses.
Tipton can’t drop to 8-man even if they wanted to at the moment. Cole Camp is over 180 in enrollment and definitely can’t. You used two teams that don’t qualify for 8-man and a statistical outlier in Midway.
The year Drexel won state, I don’t believe they had 20 kids out. All 3 teams have seen an increase in participation since joining 8-man. Build an entire program for a small school.
Quit with the lie that going 8-man is ducking competition. It’s not true and it’s simple minded.

Tipton can’t drop to 8-man even if they wanted to at the moment. Cole Camp is over 180 in enrollment and definitely can’t. You used two teams that don’t qualify for 8-man and a statistical outlier in Midway.
The year Drexel won state, I don’t believe they had 20 kids out. All 3 teams have seen an increase in participation since joining 8-man. Build an entire program for a small school.
Quit with the lie that going 8-man is ducking competition. It’s not true and it’s simple minded.
Drexel was 1-9 their last year in 11 man.
Archie was 2-8 and their 2 wins were against 1-9 teams.
Jasper was 1-9 their last year in 11 man.
Rich Hill was 0-10.

To claim they aren't ducking competition is actually the 'simple minded' take here.

Reactions: BoosterBosko
P.S. Midway is a "statistical outlier" solely because they didn't tuck and run when they knew times were going to be rough for a bit.

When someone has played 8 man and said it was easier then I would listen. I've coached both there's a lot of 11 man kids that would have a heck of time playing 8 man. I always think back to king city. 11 man then 8 man back to 11 man and now 8 man.

When someone has played 8 man and said it was easier then I would listen. I've coached both there's a lot of 11 man kids that would have a heck of time playing 8 man. I always think back to king city. 11 man then 8 man back to 11 man and now 8 man.
I just posted the records of the 'local' teams that dropped to 8 man.

They did it because they couldn't compete in 11 man.

At least Lockwood did it before they had some 1 win seasons. They just don't have the numbers coming up after this past year.

Last edited:
I do not think it is a bad thing. It keeps kids involved in football and out of trouble. Some small schools play both 8 man and 11 man games during the season. In small schools, they will have to jump back and forth because of class sizes each year. Totally good with it.

Lockwood never should have went 8-man. They play in an 11-man-only conference that was only formed a few years ago.

Reactions: mosofan
Lockwood never should have went 8-man. They play in an 11-man-only conference that was only formed a few years ago.
If you look at their roster you'll understand why they did.

Yes the conference fiasco was terrible.

Rich Hill was 0-10.

To claim they aren't ducking competition is actually the 'simple minded' take here.
Drexel getting Jacob Coffey for 3.5 years definitely changed their fortunes. Archie also went 7-4 and 6-4 in the previous two years in 11-man. Almost like small schools cycle through good and bad times. Rich Hill hasn’t been world beaters in 8-man either, but they can now have a JV and try to turn the program around.
You are simpleminded because you are looking at varsity only and not the entire program.
Believe it or not, 8-man football is real football. It is currently a great option for these small schools that aren’t growing and have dwindling participation numbers. The sport has doubled in size over the last 5 years. I talk to the coaches, players and parents of those teams on a regular basis. A large majority have loved the move and it has rejuvenated football for those schools.

P.S. Midway is a "statistical outlier" solely because they didn't tuck and run when they knew times were going to be rough for a bit.
No, they are an outlier to have 41 kids out with a 9-11 enrollment of 91. It’s an incredible outlier that Midway should be proud of. Just like Stanberry and North Shelby are outliers to have 28 and 25 kids out while having enrollments around 70 for 9-11.
Just FYI, the average roster size in 8-man last year was 22.9.

Drexel getting Jacob Coffey for 3.5 years definitely changed their fortunes. Archie also went 7-4 and 6-4 in the previous two years in 11-man. Almost like small schools cycle through good and bad times. Rich Hill hasn’t been world beaters in 8-man either, but they can now have a JV and try to turn the program around.
You are simpleminded because you are looking at varsity only and not the entire program.
Believe it or not, 8-man football is real football. It is currently a great option for these small schools that aren’t growing and have dwindling participation numbers. The sport has doubled in size over the last 5 years. I talk to the coaches, players and parents of those teams on a regular basis. A large majority have loved the move and it has rejuvenated football for those schools.
7-4 and 6-4 aren't good times. They dropped because they couldn't win districts and playoff games. They happen to have some nice talent there now. Stay tuned.

And the participation numbers are because they didn't build and maintain a culture like the one at Midway.

I'm very familiar with all the schools in this area and how they were 'developed'. Archie used to give Adrian all they wanted in daddyball. That was before Adrian's 4.4 sophomore moved to Harrisonville to carry them. I don't understand why they had to make that jump. Is having a bad year a reason to cut and run?

Took a cursory glance across the 8 man rosters. Found one team with 17 and one with 18.

24 was the most common number.

Nobody is forced to play 8 man. It's a choice.
East Atchison had 18. And I believe after injuries they were down to 14 at the end of the season.

And keep in mind, this is a co-op between 2 different schools.

No, some don't know what's it like to be bare bones. My first job the superintendent came to me with six cases of cans for field paint. I said great that's for our first game and he said no it's for the year. He said they painted every ten yards from 20 to 20. Then every 5 yards from 20 in. I believe it too 4 cases for the first time then I would just touch up before each home game. I also got 2 cases of athletic tape a year.

• Wow
Reactions: Graphic Edge Guy
No, some don't know what's it like to be bare bones. My first job the superintendent came to me with six cases of cans for field paint. I said great that's for our first game and he said no it's for the year. He said they painted every ten yards from 20 to 20. Then every 5 yards from 20 in. I believe it too 4 cases for the first time then I would just touch up before each home game. I also got 2 cases of athletic tape a year.
And you had to do it uphill both to and from the field.

Snow in the morning and 115 degrees at night.

Well close, it was the mountains of Idaho. Didn't have 115 degree temps but at night in the summer it would drop to 40s and 50s. That's why teams played their games during the day because at night during the season it would be pretty nippy.

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Rich Hill was 0-10.

The only thing I'll say about Jasper is for them to have stayed 11-man, they would have had to travel the entire state finding independent 11-man competition. It was understood they weren't going to be included in the West Central either, although I would have assumed Archie would have had they chosen? Going 8-man let Jasper keep a conference schedule, while probably preserving the program for the time being. With most of the district being farm land, it is easier to move to or find an avenue to one of the neighboring districts with more regional rivalries and neighboring community smack talk. That is part of the fun. Right now, the Eagles only have Liberal, which I'll admit I can't stand when on the playing field with them.

The only thing I'll say about Jasper is for them to have stayed 11-man, they would have had to travel the entire state finding independent 11-man competition. It was understood they weren't going to be included in the West Central either, although I would have assumed Archie would have had they chosen? Going 8-man let Jasper keep a conference schedule, while probably preserving the program for the time being. With most of the district being farm land, it is easier to move to or find an avenue to one of the neighboring districts with more regional rivalries and neighboring community smack talk. That is part of the fun. Right now, the Eagles only have Liberal, which I'll admit I can't stand when on the playing field with them.
I understand why Jasper went and have zero question it was the right move.

Makes sense for Slater since there are a lot of schools that are close in location to them. Question is will 8 man go to 8 districts now instead of 4 districts of 10 teams (one with 9)

Makes sense for Slater since there are a lot of schools that are close in location to them. Question is will 8 man go to 8 districts now instead of 4 districts of 10 teams (one with 9)
According to coaches I’ve talked to, eight districts is extremely likely in 2023 for 8-man football.

24 is not enough? Not ideal, but, I have seen a Class 3 program compete with less than that. Heck, they are still around.

He used the examples of them saying the whole conference was going to 8 man, which it is not.

The reason why some of the 8 man schools have 25-30 kids is because they are winning again. You think Archie would have the same number of kids out if they were going 1-9 every year in 11 man. Kids don't want to lose all the time. These programs are going 8 man cause they know if they keep going 1-9 in 11 man their numbers will keep going down. Veer keeps saying suck it up and get better but the thing is kids are different now. Its just the way it is. There are a lot of other sports they can focus on and they just wont play. Football is a fun game and the more kids you get out the better it is. It doesn't matter if its 8 man or 11 man getting the most kids out is what is important. Having kids have some success even if its 8 man is not a bad thing.

The reason why some of the 8 man schools have 25-30 kids is because they are winning again. You think Archie would have the same number of kids out if they were going 1-9 every year in 11 man. Kids don't want to lose all the time. These programs are going 8 man cause they know if they keep going 1-9 in 11 man their numbers will keep going down. Veer keeps saying suck it up and get better but the thing is kids are different now. Its just the way it is. There are a lot of other sports they can focus on and they just wont play. Football is a fun game and the more kids you get out the better it is. It doesn't matter if its 8 man or 11 man getting the most kids out is what is important. Having kids have some success even if its 8 man is not a bad thing.

4-6, 2-6, 4-6, 1-9.

That's Midway's record the last 4 years. 41 kids out.

I subscribe to the Frank Martin theory:

Kids aren't any different. Adults are.

Reactions: 164chevy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT