ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 COC picks

Eagles_Ball

Dec 19, 2003
I won't track...but at least we can banter, right?

Willard @ Ozark
Carthage @ Waynesville
Neosho @ Glendale
Joplin @ Kickapoo
Webb City @ Lebanon
Republic @ Nixa

Feels good to have some football to talk about and look forward to.

Reactions: shoot90draw
Willard @ Ozark...Ozark...Pretty sure Willard graduated everything. Ozark returns a solid senior class. I think Ozark will be better, just not sure how much better. But I'm pretty confident they'll be better than Willard.

Carthage @ Waynesville...Carthage...I think Carthage might be the surprise of the conference. Not surprising that they're good, but just HOW good. They'll make short work of a Waynesville team that is probably a little too far over their skis in this conference.

Neosho @ Glendale...Neosho...Granted I have nothing to base this on. This game could take 4 hours with all the incomplete passes though. I'm not sure either of these teams will be very good, but heck, no more than I know they could both be good.

Joplin @ Kickapoo...Joplin...Joplin lost a bunch. Word is Poo looked poopy in their jam. I'll show some recency bias and go with Joplin.

Webb City @ Lebanon...Lebanon...Welcome to the COC Leb! Get things started off right. They'll like getting Webb in week one and not in week six. Webb will fumble a few times and have a handful of motion penalties and Leb will benefit from the home field. This should be a dandy.

Republic @ Nixa...Nixa...Speaking of dandies. But I just feel like Nixa is too big and too skilled for RepMo. Did I mention Nixa is big??? Goodness they are healthy up front on both sides of the ball.

There could be four or five really tightly contested games in week one. Should be a good one!

Willard @ Ozark
Carthage @ Waynesville
Neosho @ Glendale
Joplin @ Kickapoo
Webb City @ Lebanon
Republic @ Nixa

Ozark - should be improved this year
Carthage - going to roll
Neosho - keep an eye on Neosho this year
Joplin - injuries last year gave some of these kids some varsity time.
Webb City - it's WC and I know nothing about Leb
NIXA - top 5 team in the state

Lol. Self-promotion does grow a little stale, huh?
ba79aaa0-7ddb-47bc-aba4-e6988124aaa8_text.gif

Willard @ Ozark
Carthage @ Waynesville
Neosho @ Glendale
Joplin @ Kickapoo
Webb City @ Lebanon
Republic @ Nixa

- Ozark, but this one feels like a toss up. Ozark gets the nod as they don’t have a new head coach.
- Carthage, with hopefully a turbo clock in the second half.
- Neosho, again feels like a toss up but Neosho doesn’t have a new head coach.
- Joplin, I think they’ll be better than what’s been predicted for them this year.
- Lebanon, feels like everything is right for them to get this one. Week 1, at home, with a lot of unknowns about Webb. Probably the best game of the week, imo.
- Nixa, with RepMo getting rudely reminded that last year is over.

Reactions: Stimie69er
CJ's out, so now I'm in ... strange schedule to start the year, none of the west division are at home, not one close game to drive to Friday night:

Willard @ Ozark -- Ozark
Carthage @ Waynesville -- Carthage
Neosho @ Glendale -- Neosho
Joplin @ Kickapoo -- Joplin
Webb City @ Lebanon -- Webb City
Republic @ Nixa -- Nixa

Willard @ Ozark
Carthage @ Waynesville
Neosho @ Glendale
Joplin @ Kickapoo
Webb City @ Lebanon
Republic @ Nixa

Are the OC schools ready for the physicality of the COC? Just a distant question...............

Willard @ Ozark -- Ozark...Willard lost a ton, and Ozark is ALOT better this year. Still not a top tier team, but good enough to beat Willard
Carthage @ Waynesville -- Carthage... By a lot. Waynesville will be lucky to win a game this year, despite them returning starters.
Neosho @ Glendale -- Neosho... They will be better than last year (at least offensively). Glendale will still be fresh to the new system, and I imagine that inexperience will show through.
Joplin @ Kickapoo -- Joplin..Just look at the history of these two teams, and you should have your answer. Plus Kickapoo didn't look great in their Jambo. Jasper is a great coach, and I'm sure he will have Joplin playing better than expected. Despite their losses from last year.
Webb City @ Lebanon -- Webb City... Webb is going to be "down" this year, but Lebanon had a big injury at their Jambo. COC experience wins here. I do feel like Lebanon could upset, but I think even a down Webb group rolls here.
Republic @ Nixa -- Nixa... I don't think this one will be as much of a blowout as everyone is predicting. Republic always plays them well upfront and they have their entire Dline back and all but 2 of their Oline back this year. Nixa has everything to lose and nothing to gain, if they win, they should have. If they lose then everyone will be talking about whether they are truly worthy of all the hype surrounding them this year. They are a great team, but just like in years past I don't think Republic is shaking in their boots too much. It's just too bad this isn't a late-season matchup. Regardless, I think Nixa gets it done.

Ozark (Willard might be pretty bad this year).

Carthage (Carthage by as much as they want).

Neosho (Neosho has what could be a pretty good offense).

Joplin ( just a guess)

Lebanon (Webb loses early sometimes).

Nixa (I think Nixa will go undefeated).

Reactions: Stimie69er
Are the OC schools ready for the physicality of the COC? Just a distant question...............
Based on the previous times I’ve seen the old OC schools play (Lebanon & Glendale along with Parkview back in the day), the answer is no. I think Lebanon was the most physical out of the ones I saw, but it’s been well documented how they haven’t been able to get over the hump against Carthage and Webb in the quarterfinals.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Willard @ Ozark- I’ll go with ozark. Haven’t heard anything about either of these so really just a guess.
Carthage @ Waynesville- If Carthage doesn’t win this one (and convincingly) there will be a lot of concerned Tiger fans.
Neosho @ Glendale- This is an interesting match that could be an indicator for who may be in the middle and who will drift to the bottom. I’ll go with Neosho, I think they could be pretty decent this year.
Joplin @ Kickapoo- Joplin gets this one.
Webb City @ Lebanon- I think Webb city is going to be better than what everyone is saying/hoping. Probably a close game and likely there are some early season blunders but they still win. However it is a good opportunity to steal one from Webb city. Carthage is probably wishing they could get Webb city now before they have to chance to get dialed in.
Republic @ Nixa- Nixa

Other than Carthage all of these games have the potential to be pretty good ones. Too bad all of the local (to me) coc teams are on the road Friday!

Willard @ Ozark — Willard. Yuck X 2

Carthage @ Waynesville — Carthage. By as many as they want. Carthage is going to be a handful. I don't think anyone knows what Waynesville is doing in the COC, including Waynesville. They've had one winning season since 2011.

Joplin @ Kickapoo — Joplin. The Eagles lost a lot, but they have some really good individual players returning, especially on defense, and they had some key freshmen play big varsity minutes last year.

Neosho @ Glendale — Glendale. Actually playing clean football and not the nonsense they've done in the past will help. Kickoffs, extra points, punts, etc. If they have any sense they'll ask at least one kid to play on both sides of the ball, something they haven't done in a decade.

Webb City @ Lebanon — Lebanon. Webb gets CLOCKED on the road. This will be similar to week 1 at Nixa two years ago. Stamp it.

Republic @ Nixa — Nixa.

Reactions: I2R I

Carthage @ Waynesville — Carthage. By as many as they want. Carthage is going to be a handful. I don't think anyone knows what Waynesville is doing in the COC, including Waynesville. They've had one winning season since 2011.

Joplin @ Kickapoo — Joplin. The Eagles lost a lot, but they have some really good individual players returning, especially on defense, and they had some key freshmen play big varsity minutes last year.

Neosho @ Glendale — Glendale. Actually playing clean football and not the nonsense they've done in the past will help. Kickoffs, extra points, punts, etc. If they have any sense they'll ask at least one kid to play on both sides of the ball, something they haven't done in a decade.

Webb City @ Lebanon — Lebanon. Webb gets CLOCKED on the road. This will be similar to week 1 at Nixa two years ago. Stamp it.

Republic @ Nixa — Nixa.
Time Clock GIF by MOODMAN

Republic @ Nixa — Nixa.
Ditto. Saved me a bunch of fat fingered typing. Set the over/under on the Glen_ale v Wil_cat game at 100. No d in that one.

Webb City @ Lebanon -- Webb City... Webb is going to be "down" this year, but Lebanon had a big injury at their Jambo. COC experience wins here. I do feel like Lebanon could upset, but I think even a down Webb group rolls here.
Just heard their QB tore his ACL in the jambo. That's tough. No clue what the backup is like, but would certainly think that gives Webb the advantage.

Just heard their QB tore his ACL in the jambo. That's tough. No clue what the backup is like, but would certainly think that gives Webb the advantage.
I had heard that Lebanon only took their JV squad to Sarcoxie, was that not the case? If Lebanon did lose their qb that is a huge break for Webb City no doubt.

I don't think anyone knows what Waynesville is doing in the COC, including Waynesville. They've had one winning season since 2011.
I'm not entirely sure why Waynesville is in the COC either and I don't think anyone is happy about it probably most of all Waynesville, I am guessing they just had no other options and their disbanding conference members went to bat for them.

Side note, since the Ozark Conference is no more, can the "Central" Ozarks Conference just go by Ozark Conference now?

Reactions: Craig Hull
I'm not entirely sure why Waynesville is in the COC either and I don't think anyone is happy about it probably most of all Waynesville, I am guessing they just had no other options and their disbanding conference members went to bat for them.

Side note, since the Ozark Conference is no more, can the "Central" Ozarks Conference just go by Ozark Conference now?

I assumed that every conference in Southwest Missouri was just adding the name Ozark:

Ozark Conference
Central Ozark Conference
Ozark Mountain Conference
Big Ozark 8 Conference
Southwest Ozark Conference
Ozark 8 Conference
Ozark Spring River Valley Conference

Reactions: Arcola
I had heard that Lebanon only took their JV squad to Sarcoxie, was that not the case? If Lebanon did lose their qb that is a huge break for Webb City no doubt.
I assume the info I got was accurate, but I don't know. It came from a football coach at another school that would know.

Yeah, I think their options were pretty limited. They didn't want to go the Rolla route (begging to get in Four Rivers), plus they're too big and too far for that anyway. I THINK they had the option of going the Camdenton route (up north with Columbia/Jeff/Sedalia), but they probably viewed that as worse. Here's the odd thing, they sorta/kinda fit. They just are really bad at football. Size wise they're a fit. Demographically they're a fit. As much as the west COC schools don't like it, the location is pretty much a fit too. They're no further away from the center of the conference than the west schools, just so happen to be on the other side. I'm not sure what the long term plan for Leb/Waynesville/Camdenton is, but I bet it's not where they are this season. I'm not sure any of them will be happy with their new conference.

Yeah, I think their options were pretty limited. They didn't want to go the Rolla route (begging to get in Four Rivers), plus they're too big and too far for that anyway. I THINK they had the option of going the Camdenton route (up north with Columbia/Jeff/Sedalia), but they probably viewed that as worse. Here's the odd thing, they sorta/kinda fit. They just are really bad at football. Size wise they're a fit. Demographically they're a fit. As much as the west COC schools don't like it, the location is pretty much a fit too. They're no further away from the center of the conference than the west schools, just so happen to be on the other side. I'm not sure what the long term plan for Leb/Waynesville/Camdenton is, but I bet it's not where they are this season. I'm not sure any of them will be happy with their new conference.
All of those 4 schools applied for OMC membership too per the Rolla AD at a school board meeting. The smaller schools were against them due to size and CJ was opposed because of travel.

If the Big 8 would be willing to bring CJ back, then the OMC would be the right league probably for those schools. It'd be a better geographical thing. Of course, it was CJ that burned the bridge quite successfully with the Big 8. And it appears the OMC wants CJ if they accepted the distance argument.

If Willard has a few bad football seasons I still wonder if they will change their mind about the COC. CJ, Willard, Mac County, Nevada and Monett could form the core of a league.

If Willard has a few bad football seasons I still wonder if they will change their mind about the COC. CJ, Willard, Mac County, Nevada and Monett could form the core of a league.
Willard is going to have a few bad football seasons. I don't think there is any getting around that. They just don't have the size, skill, or athletes.

All of those 4 schools applied for OMC membership too per the Rolla AD at a school board meeting. The smaller schools were against them due to size and CJ was opposed because of travel.
I'd say that OMC will look a tad different in a year or two if had to make a wager.

Reactions: Craig Hull
If the Big 8 would be willing to bring CJ back, then the OMC would be the right league probably for those schools. It'd be a better geographical thing. Of course, it was CJ that burned the bridge quite successfully with the Big 8. And it appears the OMC wants CJ if they accepted the distance argument.
I would ponder to guess that while the current Sup and AD are still CJ, the Big 8 will probable not let them back in. Those two both made sure to insult every Big 8 school they could on the way out and talk about how their demographics and facilities don't fit with the conference. I guess they never thought about what would happen if the the COC would never work out and they would have to cross that bridge again? But there is always hope Nevada did the same thing and later once some changes were made they were able to reapply and get in.

Last edited:
Monett would really have to out grow the conference. The roots run deep they are a founding member, and the history in the conference goes all the way back to the 1920's. Many in the community are excited to get back to playing Aurora and MV every year.
The Big 8 with its core members has been the most stable conference over the last several decades, even going back to the Big 12,13,14 years most of these members have stayed. Then you look those wayward Members such and Mac and Nevada who decided to Follow Webb and Carthage to form the Big 6 got left out in the cold by those members when they jumped to the COC. the Big 8 is still here and kicking.

I would ponder to guess that while the current Sup and AD are still CJ, the Big 8 will probable not let them back in. Those two both made sure to insult every Big 8 school they could on the way out and talk about how their demographics and facilities don't fit with the conference. I guess they never thought about what would happen if the the COC would never work out and they would have to cross that bridge again? But there is always hope Nevada did the same thing and later once some changes were made they were able to reapply and get in.
I don't ever see CJ reapplying. Outside of football and wrestling the league isn't that competitive. Of course football is the most important sport by a thousand miles but still.

Reactions: Flint222
I don't ever see CJ reapplying. Outside of football and wrestling the league isn't that competitive. Of course football is the most important sport by a thousand miles but still.
I don't know how close you are to CJ? But it would be interesting the new conference is not a great fit its a fit if you bang it with a hammer, but who knows.
I just repeat what I hear from family that live there, and many are giving it a chance, many are hoping it does not last.

I don't know how close you are to CJ? But it would be interesting the new conference is not a great fit its a fit if you bang it with a hammer, but who knows.
I just repeat what I hear from family that live there, and many are giving it a chance, many are hoping it does not last.
The OMC does have a temporary feel and by that I mean 7-10 years. However there will probably be additions and subtractions in that time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT