ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 COC picks

I can't help but think if the "suburb" schools had wanted to be in league with the Springfield city schools, it would have been done ages ago. It seems the suburbs have hated the city, and I'm not sure hate is a strong enough word. Letting R-12 finally have a foothold on the COC may work or it may not in the long run. The whole thing seemed like a mad dash to "respond" to CJ and Branson leaving more than thinking logically. If there had been a desire for non-conference games, why did they add the Ozark schools? With the departing schools, there would have been space in the schedules. I don't know. I just don't think this current setup will stick too long. I'm kind of jumping on board with separate football leagues or even simply 8 team districts, although MSHSAA still has to prove they can put common sense into forming those, and they haven't always accomplished that. I will say as I live in the Jasper district, and their conference setup in the WEMO has long road trips for a small school, and now the district is asking us to raise the tax levy for operating expenses next April. I'm still trying to decide if I want to vote for that when I know they could do some things differently, such as not going two hours to Cass Midway for junior high basketball. A separate, geographically friendly league for all other activities (outside football) would help definitely.

I can't help but think if the "suburb" schools had wanted to be in league with the Springfield city schools, it would have been done ages ago. It seems the suburbs have hated the city, and I'm not sure hate is a strong enough word. Letting R-12 finally have a foothold on the COC may work or it may not in the long run. The whole thing seemed like a mad dash to "respond" to CJ and Branson leaving more than thinking logically. If there had been a desire for non-conference games, why did they add the Ozark schools? With the departing schools, there would have been space in the schedules. I don't know. I just don't think this current setup will stick too long. I'm kind of jumping on board with separate football leagues or even simply 8 team districts, although MSHSAA still has to prove they can put common sense into forming those, and they haven't always accomplished that. I will say as I live in the Jasper district, and their conference setup in the WEMO has long road trips for a small school, and now the district is asking us to raise the tax levy for operating expenses next April. I'm still trying to decide if I want to vote for that when I know they could do some things differently, such as not going two hours to Cass Midway for junior high basketball. A separate, geographically friendly league for all other activities (outside football) would help definitely.
You think far too logically for MSHSAA or public education!

I think the reason it never happened "ages ago" is because the landscape of Nixa/Ozark/Republic/Willard was far different than the landscape of Springfield. The last 20 yrs or so has created quite the shift in enrollment, population, and demographics.

You think far too logically for MSHSAA or public education!

I think the reason it never happened "ages ago" is because the landscape of Nixa/Ozark/Republic/Willard was far different than the landscape of Springfield. The last 20 yrs or so has created quite the shift in enrollment, population, and demographics.
Maybe... I just remember it seemed like the mid-to-late 90s, the Ozark Conference at that time made an initial attempt at luring Republic, Ozark, Nixa, etc by sending the districts the league bylaws, etc hoping to stir their interest, and it didn't seem to catch. I guess that is my "ages ago" although for us oldies, it doesn't seem that long ago.

Reactions: Craig Hull
Maybe... I just remember it seemed like the mid-to-late 90s, the Ozark Conference at that time made an initial attempt at luring Republic, Ozark, Nixa, etc by sending the districts the league bylaws, etc hoping to stir their interest, and it didn't seem to catch. I guess that is my "ages ago" although for us oldies, it doesn't seem that long ago.
I'm with you. That was my time in college at SMS. I still feel like back then anyway, the enrollment differences were pretty big. Maybe not. I remember thinking of Nixa and Ozark as country schools still. Only thing I remember about Republic from then was the Ford dealer was 5 minutes from Springfield at 120MPH.

Reactions: Baldguy
The whole thing seemed like a mad dash to "respond" to CJ and Branson leaving more than thinking logically.
That's how it seemed to me. Like oh crap we lost two teams we need to do something before it gets worse.

In everyone's defense though, I think these schools see playing SPS and even to some extent Lebanon or Waynesville as better than having to go searching for opponents when in all reality they may end up traveling just as far or worse to find worse football games. Prior to having a 10 team schedule I know Webb City had some compelling non-con games but Carthage did not.

Why they are playing in all sports seems like nonsense though so I am hopeful at least that aspect is corrected in the future if the league stays as is.

the Ford dealer was 5 minutes from Springfield at 120MPH
Lol I remember that commercial and thinking it was so idiotic.

I think with Republic and those schools there probably had a similar situation as what we've got with WC, Carthage and Joplin. These schools played Parkwood and Memorial (or so I am told) but not so much after they combined. Back then Webb and Carthage, Neosho were way smaller but Joplin was the same size it is now. They didn't really see Joplin as a natural peer whereas now they do.

I don't know as much about SPS but my guess is they, like Joplin have traditionally been the larger schools in the area but with relatively flat enrollment.

Jasper, Liberal, Lockwood, Greenfield, Golden City and the 3 Joplin private schools. Perfect setup for all-sports and 8-man football.

Remember about the COC and Ozark Conference, it wasn't until 1998 I believe when a COC and Ozark Conference school played a game against each other in football. I want to say it was Ozark vs Kickapoo but don't quote me on that as I don't have my Newspapers.com subscription anymore lol.

One has to wonder if any of the private schools here will ever double down on athletics and play that game.
New (College) Heights already does; if McAuley would try to bring their program back, it’d make a league more stable yet, especially if football is still a necessity for league formation. Personally if these 8 man schools and WEMO 8s can do football together and have separate divisions or leagues, that’d make scheduling easier.

New (College) Heights already does; if McAuley would try to bring their program back, it’d make a league more stable yet, especially if football is still a necessity for league formation. Personally if these 8 man schools and WEMO 8s can do football together and have separate divisions or leagues, that’d make scheduling easier.
I know they are playing football what I mean is actively try to become a Valle or Colgan type program that has talent that is disproportionate to enrollment. Try and pick off some of the college recruits from Webb Joplin and Carthage or whatever they need to do.

I know they are playing football what I mean is actively try to become a Valle or Colgan type program that has talent that is disproportionate to enrollment. Try and pick off some of the college recruits from Webb Joplin and Carthage or whatever they need to do.
I think those private schools have hurt girls sports at Joplin but no football players want to play at a school that small.

My bad on that. Hopefully if 8-man is all these private schools would aim for, no top tier athletes will leave Joplin, Webb, Carthage, etc for that. Hopefully.

I think those private schools have hurt girls sports at Joplin but no football players want to play at a school that small.
True but if they grow the program a bit and get out of 8 man....they might start getting more athletes if they can paint a picture of a viable path to deep playoff runs and state championships across multiple sports.

It will be a tougher sell for Webb kids because they are already there in football and some other sports, still just barely small enough that they are still matching up with some Big 8 and OMC schools in districts. The districts Joplin and Carthage are facing in many sports as the largest classification are basically un-winnable.

So if CH says hey we'll give you a scholarship or even a partial... you can play on a high quality team, have a good shot at making a run in a smaller classification. And you're in a private school with a more rigorous academics and fewer problem kids, a big sell for parents. It's not something that would happen overnight but you never know. If they hit a tipping point where playing for College Heights basketball or volleyball or whatever came to be see as an elite thing...never know.

Jasper, Liberal, Lockwood, Greenfield, Golden City and the 3 Joplin private schools. Perfect setup for all-sports and 8-man football.
200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BoosterBosko
Lol I remember that commercial and thinking it was so idiotic.

I think with Republic and those schools there probably had a similar situation as what we've got with WC, Carthage and Joplin. These schools played Parkwood and Memorial (or so I am told) but not so much after they combined. Back then Webb and Carthage, Neosho were way smaller but Joplin was the same size it is now. They didn't really see Joplin as a natural peer whereas now they do.

I don't know as much about SPS but my guess is they, like Joplin have traditionally been the larger schools in the area but with relatively flat enrollment.
It was so dumb...but here I am 25+ years later still remembering it. Ridiculous.

That second paragraph sums it up perfectly, at least IMHO. I feel like that's very similar to the dynamic of SPS and the Nixa/Ozark/Willard/Republic situations.

Remember about the COC and Ozark Conference, it wasn't until 1998 I believe when a COC and Ozark Conference school played a game against each other in football. I want to say it was Ozark vs Kickapoo but don't quote me on that as I don't have my Newspapers.com subscription anymore lol.
That's crazy to think the landscape has changed that much in 25 years, huh? Man, when I was in college back in the middle to late 90's, I remember the "northern edge" of Nixa being 14 and 160. Now there's an entire town north of there. I also remember driving down 160 to play softball and knowing there was a good 5+ miles between Springfield and Nixa. Same with leaving Ozark and driving toward Nixa on 14. Now you feel like you never leave one before getting to the other. I feel like it's a ton of growth in 25ish years.

Reactions: Stimie69er
Sounds like Webb City fans are already calling for the ousting of Lebanon from the league based on their inability to host games at this level.

The issue is, apparently the district sent out some information regarding the (lack of) visitor seating at Lebanon. Might be worth making the trip just to watch how all that plays out. (insert popcorn gif)

Sounds like Webb City fans are already calling for the ousting of Lebanon from the league based on their inability to host games at this level.

The issue is, apparently the district sent out some information regarding the (lack of) visitor seating at Lebanon. Might be worth making the trip just to watch how all that plays out. (insert popcorn gif)
dahliabunni-popcorn.gif

Yeah, Lebs visitor section is brutal. Heck, their home side isn't exactly awesome. I know this will sit well with Webbies, but if Leb can host the Lakers they can certainly navigate the Webbies. Just don't disappoint Webbies. Dust off those lettermans jackets, mesh jerseys, and acid washed jeans. Feather those mullets, take the t-tops out of the Iroc, crank up Whitesnake and head east. The Jackets are waiting for you.

Yeah, Lebs visitor section is brutal. Heck, their home side isn't exactly awesome. I know this will sit well with Webbies, but if Leb can host the Lakers they can certainly navigate the Webbies. Just don't disappoint Webbies. Dust off those lettermans jackets, mesh jerseys, and acid washed jeans. Feather those mullets, take the t-tops out of the Iroc, crank up Whitesnake and head east. The Jackets are waiting for you.
For real though, it does seem unusual for a school of that size to have zero visitor seating, no? Is there anywhere else in the new COC that still only has seating on one side of the field? Would it really be that difficult of a proposition to install some metal bleachers and a sidewalk? I doubt Webb City will be the only ones that complain about it, although they will probably be the loudest.

Reactions: webbpa
For real though, it does seem unusual for a school of that size to have zero visitor seating, no? Is there anywhere else in the new COC that still only has seating on one side of the field? Would it really be that difficult of a proposition to install some metal bleachers and a sidewalk? I doubt Webb City will be the only ones that complain about it, although they will probably be the loudest.
It's strange, for sure. I'm pretty sure they bring in temps for the Lakers, but I could be wrong. Leb isn't exactly known for the finer things. Typical interstate town.

It's strange, for sure. I'm pretty sure they bring in temps for the Lakers, but I could be wrong. Leb isn't exactly known for the finer things. Typical interstate town.
Lebanon is a bleephole.... lived there for 7 years while working near the fort. Worst mistake of my life was investing in property there. Friendly People, whatever on their lie of a motto. Yet, rural Laclede County that surrounds it seems as nice as anywhere else in the state. I always enjoyed escaping out to Bennett Springs and other surrounding areas. I'm sure the rural boys have contributed a lot to the Jackets' success as well. Sad the district can't play a more hospitable host and represent better for the Friday night lights. Think their field is newer and nice. They have that going for them.

Webb has played at Lebanon a few times and seating has never been an issue. Just get there early, buy a ticket and find a spot in the bleachers

Aren’t the Yellowjackets O-fer all time against Webb??

When Carthage played at Glendale in 2019, it didn’t appear they had a permanent set of visitor bleachers set up. One of several bizarre things about that night.

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
Ozark 35 Willard 14--Ozark Seniors went undefeated as freshmen and return quite a bit. Willard was significantly better a year ago but lost everyone. Willard JV and 9th was bad...although their JV did beat Ozark JV. You would just think in year two of Cordell they should be much improved.

Carthage 57 Waynesville 7--Carthage is underrated coming into the year and Waynesville is bad,bad.

Neosho 38 Glendale 21--Neosho should be better than a year ago. Taute does some good things on offense, and though their QB probably isn't the thrower as Hughes, he is more athletic. They also have a returning back. Glendale may be worse than we thought...I have them/Waynesville/Willard as clearly the bottom of the 12 team league.

Joplin 21 Kickapoo 7--Kickapoo has been bad on offense forever, but are good defensively. I think Jasper will be able to create just enough offense to win this one, in a game filled with punts (10+ tonight).

Webb City 35 Lebanon 21--Only thing that helps Lebanon is that it is game 1. Lebanon is not a good defensive team and QB is out. If Rod-Reek-A or Thompson was at the helm this would be a no-brainer...

Nixa 48 RepMo 7--Nixa is looking for revenge and is way more talented, and RepMo may have a powder puff defense this year.

Webb has played at Lebanon a few times and seating has never been an issue. Just get there early, buy a ticket and find a spot in the bleachers

Aren’t the Yellowjackets O-fer all time against Webb??
Bring a lawn chair.

To me the seating isn't as big an issue as the parking. Can get pretty tight at the games that have bigger crowds.

I could be wrong about this, but Lebanon HS might be the oldest actual HS building in the COC. If not it's one of the oldest. Most of the COC schools have had new schools built since Lebanon HS was built and with that comes new athletic facilities and modern preparation for parking, road entry design, etc.. Republic, Ozark, Willard, Waynesville, Nixa, etc., etc. Pretty sure those are all relatively newer schools.

Lebanon does has one of the nicest basketball facilities around especially if you're looking for a comfortable seat.

Last edited:
Ozark 35 Willard 14--Ozark Seniors went undefeated as freshmen and return quite a bit. Willard was significantly better a year ago but lost everyone. Willard JV and 9th was bad...although their JV did beat Ozark JV. You would just think in year two of Cordell they should be much improved.

Carthage 57 Waynesville 7--Carthage is underrated coming into the year and Waynesville is bad,bad.

Neosho 38 Glendale 21--Neosho should be better than a year ago. Taute does some good things on offense, and though their QB probably isn't the thrower as Hughes, he is more athletic. They also have a returning back. Glendale may be worse than we thought...I have them/Waynesville/Willard as clearly the bottom of the 12 team league.

Joplin 21 Kickapoo 7--Kickapoo has been bad on offense forever, but are good defensively. I think Jasper will be able to create just enough offense to win this one, in a game filled with punts (10+ tonight).

Webb City 35 Lebanon 21--Only thing that helps Lebanon is that it is game 1. Lebanon is not a good defensive team and QB is out. If Rod-Reek-A or Thompson was at the helm this would be a no-brainer...

Nixa 48 RepMo 7--Nixa is looking for revenge and is way more talented, and RepMo may have a powder puff defense this year.

I nailed this. Willard and Glendale may be a touch worse than I thought, but didn't think either would compete.

Nixa is top team in league, but that next tier is going to be very competitive (Carthage/Webb/RepMo/Joplin and maybe Lebanon)

Kickapoo is going to have reality hit...at least they get to play Glendale and Waynesville, but they may be 0-4 heading into that Glendale game.

Week 2 schedule is awesome, btw. Almost every matchup is intriguing.

I nailed this. Willard and Glendale may be a touch worse than I thought, but didn't think either would compete.

Nixa is top team in league, but that next tier is going to be very competitive (Carthage/Webb/RepMo/Joplin and maybe Lebanon)

Kickapoo is going to have reality hit...at least they get to play Glendale and Waynesville, but they may be 0-4 heading into that Glendale game.

Week 2 schedule is awesome, btw. Almost every matchup is intriguing.
I’d say you’re accurate about Nixa and the next group. My gut tells me Leb can compete there, but I have no clue how the loss of their QB affects that. I’d also say Ozark/Neosho/Poo are safely better than Waynesville/Willard/Glendale.

I’d say you’re accurate about Nixa and the next group. My gut tells me Leb can compete there, but I have no clue how the loss of their QB affects that. I’d also say Ozark/Neosho/Poo are safely better than Waynesville/Willard/Glendale.
Waynesville is 100% at the bottom of the league. They’ve got a decent running back and not much else. They will struggle in this league.

Glendale probably won't win a conference title in any sport for the next five years...maybe longer. Since the school opened, they've never gone a single season without a conference title in some sport. I've been against this move from the start.

Anyway, Glendale (and Kickapoo) added permanent visitor seating within the last year.
dscn4971-lowe-stadium_orig.jpg

dscn4987-lowe-stadium_orig.jpg

dscn4923-lowe-stadium_orig.jpg

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT