ADVERTISEMENT

Thayer 11 - Greenwood 10 (early 2Q)

63-57 Thayer, Final

With 4 sec left, burns steals it at half court and sprints down and throws down the jam with the game already won.

I’ll say it again this week, the winning with class isn’t hard, but you wouldn’t know that watching Thayer.

Controversial out of bounds call gave Thayer the ball back under greenwoods basket with a 2 pt lead and 25ish seconds left.

This is the first week of March. SWMOHardwood says MSHSAA meeting is happening this week. Should be interesting...

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
Controversial out of bounds call gave Thayer the ball back under greenwoods basket with a 2 pt lead and 25ish seconds left.
Bobcats living rent free, chaotic? Appreciate all the game updates. Officials ruled it was a put back/shot attempt that hit shot clock therefore giving Thayer the ball back.

What is the alleged crime(s) committed by a member(s) of the Thayer team. Everyone needs to quit using innuendo that they are going to jail and/or be ineligible. People have been posting about this for weeks that something is imminent and nothing has happened except Thayer is going to the Final 4

One thing we have learned is that Chaotic is certainly not a Thayer fan.... and it seems to run deeper than what may or not be going on with off the court potential problems...

Reactions: TMO95
One thing we have learned is that Chaotic is certainly not a Thayer fan.... and it seems to run deeper than what may or not be going on with off the court potential problems...
I actually have a lot of respect for the coaches there. Pitts(basketball coach), Webber(former long time football coach).
I cheered Thayer on anytime they played Valle and when they played East Buch a few years ago. I promise you it doesn’t run deeper than that.

Just didn’t want to say what the crime was for the sake of the girl that’s involved in this. You can draw your own conclusions there. Pretty sure the case is still an open investigation regardless of whether or not charges have been filed yet.

Understand what the allegation is now. Hope whatever happened that the truth wins out, whatever the truth may be, and justice prevails.

Reactions: TadQueasy
as was posted in another Thread. The 2 boys in question haven't been charged. so there is no basis for them being disqualified. I think what's really in question, is if there is enough evidence to charge them, but that's being held up till the season is over

as was posted in another Thread. The 2 boys in question haven't been charged. so there is no basis for them being disqualified. I think what's really in question, is if there is enough evidence to charge them, but that's being held up till the season is over
Don’t have to be charged. If there’s an active investigation they should be ineligible by MSHSAA bylaws. Thayer has already been told what the expected outcome is. They decided to play anyway.

Don’t have to be charged. If there’s an active investigation they should be ineligible by MSHSAA bylaws. Thayer has already been told what the expected outcome is. They decided to play anyway.
Is their head coach ALSO the principal or ad?

if its true then yeah, burn it all down. but what if it isnt true? a mere accusation should not keep a kid away from playing.
Right on I get what you're saying.

Just saying having the Head bball coach as the AD and his brother is the principal gives off an appearance.

Right on I get what you're saying.

Just saying having the Head bball coach as the AD and his brother is the principal gives off an appearance.
They’ve both put in their time and definitely earned their positions there.

but it clearly says in MSHSAAs by laws I believe something along the lines of “if a student athlete is under investigation for a misdemeanor or felony, they are ineligible until investigation is concluded and are deemed innocent”
that’s not verbatim but something along those lines.

a. A student who commits an act for which charges may be or have been filed by law enforcement authorities under any municipal ordinance, misdemeanor or felony statute shall not be eligible until all proceedings with the legal system have been concluded and any penalty (i.e. jail time, fine, court costs, etc.) or special condition of probation (i.e. restitution, community service, counseling, etc.) has been satisfied. If law enforcement authorities determine that charges will not be filed, eligibility will be contingent upon local school policies.

They’ve both put in their time and definitely earned their positions there.

but it clearly says in MSHSAAs by laws I believe something along the lines of “if a student athlete is under investigation for a misdemeanor or felony, they are ineligible until investigation is concluded and are deemed innocent”
that’s not verbatim but something along those lines.
We have two students who were involved in criminal activity. One student has been charged but a court date has not been set. The other student is waiting for a charging decision by the prosecutor. School officials have received credible information that both students were involved. However, each student is going to plead "not guilty" until the matter is resolved. Should we allow them to play?
A2: No. It is important for local school officials to diligently check with law enforcement officials in such situations. Access to credible information or student admission of involvement confirms the student does not meet the standards that are necessary, and you should not allow the students to participate. Neither student should be considered eligible until all matters have been concluded within the legal system and your school.!

Neither is the Sup.

Basketball coach is the AD.

The brother of the bball coach is HS principal.

There is so much info flying around the BFE on this, hard to know what is true and what is not. I have heard there are charges, there are not chargers, there are lawyers involvoed, there aren't.

it is a big mess.

But never fear friends, we all know that MSHSAA specializes in fixing messes.

and precidence has been set, that if you dont like MSHSAA ruling, you can get the local judge to side with your team and get to do whatever you want. Just Like Houston Volleyball

a. A student who commits an act for which charges may be or have been filed by law enforcement authorities under any municipal ordinance, misdemeanor or felony statute shall not be eligible until all proceedings with the legal system have been concluded and any penalty (i.e. jail time, fine, court costs, etc.) or special condition of probation (i.e. restitution, community service, counseling, etc.) has been satisfied. If law enforcement authorities determine that charges will not be filed, eligibility will be contingent upon local school policies.
My question is, absent a confession by the student, who determines whether the student has committed an "act" for which charges "may" be filed? Is a mere allegation enough? How about police report mentions as a suspect? Can a school administrator make determination from information gathered by the administrator? Does the school owe a duty to investigate the facts before disqualifying? Does the school board have to vote? Do they wait for the prosecutor to determine whether the student has committed an act for which charges may be filed. What if charges are filed and the judge or jury determines that the student did not commit the act alleged? What are his/her damages? Who pays for the damages? Can taxpayer funds be used to defend officers or agents of the district or to pay for damages? Of course you say? But they were only supposed to declare ineligible a student who commits an act.........they exceeded their authority since it has been determined that the student did not commit an act..........It doesn't say if they believe he committed an act. Their actions may be deemed slander of character/unlimited damages. I'm sure attorneys could find lots of other deficiencies.
Just food for thought.

and precidence has been set, that if you dont like MSHSAA ruling, you can get the local judge to side with your team and get to do whatever you want. Just Like Houston Volleyball
Given the situation and the circumstances surrounding it, good luck getting a judge to “sign off” on it.

I know what you’re saying, and you’re not wrong, but the Houston situation didn’t involve criminal activity and a crime as sensitive as what supposedly took place. And judge that signed off on that better be on their way out.

My question is, absent a confession by the student, who determines whether the student has committed an "act" for which charges "may" be filed? Is a mere allegation enough? How about police report mentions as a suspect? Can a school administrator make determination from information gathered by the administrator? Does the school owe a duty to investigate the facts before disqualifying? Does the school board have to vote? Do they wait for the prosecutor to determine whether the student has committed an act for which charges may be filed. What if charges are filed and the judge or jury determines that the student did not commit the act alleged? What are his/her damages? Who pays for the damages? Can taxpayer funds be used to defend officers or agents of the district or to pay for damages? Of course you say? But they were only supposed to declare ineligible a student who commits an act.........they exceeded their authority since it has been determined that the student did not commit an act..........It doesn't say if they believe he committed an act. Their actions may be deemed slander of character/unlimited damages. I'm sure attorneys could find lots of other deficiencies.
Just food for thought.
The term “may be filed” is a very broad term. That may be why MHSAA hasn’t done anything yet. A suspension based on something that “may happen” would surely result in a temporary injunction against MHSAA. A lot of things “may happen”

The term “may be filed” is a very broad term. That may be why MHSAA hasn’t done anything yet. A suspension based on something that “may happen” would surely result in a temporary injunction against MHSAA. A lot of things “may happen”
Well, that's the way I see it also. Plus, the question still lingers as to who gets to say that charges may be filed.

Didn’t someone just say that charges have been filed on one of the boys though? So it sounds like they’re in violation regardless.

but those schools weren't legit contenders for a state title
So it’s okay to condone the playing of players who may have committed a serious crime and are under investigation and have been for awhile for said crime and bring the integrity of your program into question as long as you’re contenders?

That’s a hot take.

It sounds like you’re agreeing with Thayers handling of this situation but maybe you’re not agreeing with them. Hard to tell lol
no, im saying them wanting to win outweighed doing what appears to be right. Everything we are discussing is just hearsay. So we are discussing hypotheticals.

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
So it’s okay to condone the playing of players who may have committed a serious crime and are under investigation and have been for awhile for said crime and bring the integrity of your program into question as long as you’re contenders?

That’s a hot take.
as a father of 2 girls I'm not condoning anything they are doing. i can promise you if I was in this situation this wouldn't have drug out as long as it has.

no, im saying them wanting to win outweighed doing what appears to be right. Everything we are discussing is just hearsay. So we are discussing hypotheticals.

as a father of 2 girls I'm not condoning anything they are doing. i can promise you if I was in this situation this wouldn't have drug out as long as it has.
Gotcha. I couldn’t tell either way. Thank you for clarifying.

Most of this is hearsay, but I’m pretty damn certain that this being an open and ongoing investigation/case with the Oregon County Sherriffs Department is a fact.

SWMOHard, any insight on what day this hearing is? I have asked around some folks I know and no one seems to know

SWMOHard, any insight on what day this hearing is? I have asked around some folks I know and no one seems to know
According to a Thayer administrator, it’s now not happening. They were told by MSHSAA what the repercussions were, and Thayer said “we’re playing them anyway” so meeting was cancelled. If charges end up being filed it’s gonna be a can of worms. One of the Liberty staff was booted from the Liberty-Thayer for loudly wondering why they were saying, and repeatedly vocalizing the accusation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT