ADVERTISEMENT

Northland Schools?

quadzilla200

Feb 21, 2020
There are some real head scratcher scores. Are PC , Smithville and Kearney all down? Raytown played some of the worst football I've seen a team play against Fort last week. Platte not blowing them out (or NKC) and Smithville not blowing out Ray South who barely beat Raytown and Truman.

Liberty North is a buzzsaw right now and I can't see anyone getting close to them IF they stay injury free. I didn't watch week 1 for LSN so I don't know how they lost. LSN scores aren't near as impressive since. Does LN have to worry about a RB like CBC has last year?

There are some real head scratcher scores. Are PC , Smithville and Kearney all down? Raytown played some of the worst football I've seen a team play against Fort last week. Platte not blowing them out (or NKC) and Smithville not blowing out Ray South who barely beat Raytown and Truman.

Liberty North is a buzzsaw right now and I can't see anyone getting close to them IF they stay injury free. I didn't watch week 1 for LSN so I don't know how they lost. LSN scores aren't near as impressive since. Does LN have to worry about a RB like CBC has last year?
Kearney had homecoming but man oh man the poor discipline continues. The talent all around is there, though, but they've gotta clean this up FAST. Grandview will be all over them if not.

Platte County has returned to Earth. Smithville may be sandbagging. Wouldn't be the first time.

Kearney had homecoming but man oh man the poor discipline continues. The talent all around is there, though, but they've gotta clean this up FAST. Grandview will be all over them if not.

Platte County has returned to Earth. Smithville may be sandbagging. Wouldn't be the first time.

Kearney looks to be sandbagging. Strange play calling. Focusing touches on secondary personnel. Their D only gaVe up less than 85 yards all night to Ruskin all night. But another turnover for a score. And over 120 yards in penalties. 50 yards in penalties on four plays on first possession and score for Ruskin.

The Bulldogs look they would rather be somewhere else. 42-12.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Kearney looks to be sandbagging. Strange play calling. Focusing touches on secondary personnel. Their D only gaVe up less than 85 yards all night to Ruskin all night. But another turnover for a score. And over 120 yards in penalties. 50 yards in penalties on four plays on first possession and score for Ruskin.

The Bulldogs look they would rather be somewhere else. 42-12.
Homecoming had some to do with it BUT still way too many penalties and other unforced errors. We are now moving to find out who is legitimately in the running for State deep runs and who is home bound come November. Again the time to clean this up is HERE. No matter how talented your roster is this ain't the "flip of a switch". Bad habits carry over. ALWAYS.

Homecoming had some to do with it BUT still way too many penalties and other unforced errors. We are now moving to find out who is legitimately in the running for State deep runs and who is home bound come November. Again the time to clean this up is HERE. No matter how talented your roster is this ain't the "flip of a switch". Bad habits carry over.

Well only one turnover this time for K, but it was for 6 points for Ruskin. There looked to be two close calls, Where a possible pick six bounced out of the hands of the Ruskin blue eagle player’s hands. And a fumble that could’ve been recovered by a blue eagle but was instead covered by a Kearney Player.

Well only one turnover this time for K, but it was for 6 points for Ruskin. There looked to be two close calls, Where a possible pick six bounced out of the hands of the Ruskin blue eagle player’s hands. And a fumble that could’ve been recovered by a blue eagle but was instead covered by a Kearney Player.
Gotta give credit, though, to Ruskin who is already getting measurably better under their new HC. Again it is all fixable let's revisit this Friday at Ray South. Definitely have that on the bucket list now.

Reactions: Boogie_Mane

From week one and what i believe i saw, LN tried to play LSN's game and threw the ball more than ive seen a LN team throw since pre Jones. Took the physicality completely out of the game and thats where LN thrives and have since learned from those mistakes. Id take LN by 2 possessions if they played today

From week one and what i believe i saw, LN tried to play LSN's game and threw the ball more than ive seen a LN team throw since pre Jones. Took the physicality completely out of the game and thats where LN thrives and have since learned from those mistakes. Id take LN by 2 possessions if they played today
I agree. Liberty North also hadn't realized what they had in JaCorey Love yet. Didn't get near enough carries the first game. Kid is now their primary RB. Also some bad missed tackles that led to Mozee scoring before half. Was a great win for LSN but LN will win the one that counts.

I agree. Liberty North also hadn't realized what they had in JaCorey Love yet. Didn't get near enough carries the first game. Kid is now their primary RB. Also some bad missed tackles that led to Mozee scoring before half. Was a great win for LSN but LN will win the one that counts.
This year in particular I am avoiding looking too far ahead because of the ever present prospect of key injuries but agree TODAY LN would win maybe with some degree of ease.

Gotta give credit, though, to Ruskin who is already getting measurably better under their new HC. Again it is all fixable let's revisit this Friday at Ray South. Definitely have that on the bucket list now.

Kearney down:

Starting all-Conference center for the season since last week.
Down all-conference left linebacker for the season this week.
Down all-state speed in Noland since Game 2.
Last game missing two additional starting linemen- short-term injuries.
(Total of 9 starters out)

Kearney got back for the past three games:

Three-year starting QB back for three weeks now. Big improvement. Mobile and pretty accurate.
Junior middle linebacker all-state athlete Grace. Big improvement. Two blocked PATs and saved two TDs running down backs vs Ruskin. Big, physical, mean, and fast.
Senior linebacker all-state bb player, Helberg. Big improvement. Lots of TFLs. Big athletic. Just started games week 4. Started season late.
(Starting D only giving up 45 yards rushing per game the past three weeks. And 4 1st downs per game.)

Kearney down:

Three-year starting QB back for three weeks now. Big improvement. Mobile and pretty accurate.
Junior middle linebacker all-state athlete Grace. Big improvement. Two blocked PATs and saved two TDs running down backs vs Ruskin. Big, physical, mean, and fast.
Senior linebacker all-state bb player, Helberg. Big improvement. Lots of TFLs. Big athletic. Just started games week 4. Started season late.
(Starting D only giving up 45 yards rushing per game the past three weeks. And 4 1st downs per game.)
Yep this feels a lot like 2014. Honestly that was Jones' best job here somehow getting them past Helias Catholic in an all time OT classic to even face JRod's best overall team in the C4 semis.

Kearney down:

Owe good lord cry me a River 😂😂😂

Owe good lord cry me a River 😂😂😂

Whose crying? They got back two of their four best players on the team week 4: two of most dynamic and impactful players are now on the field. They will get another one back by the playoffs.

Last edited:
Whose crying? They got back two of their four best players on the team week 4: two of most dynamic and impactful players are now on the field. They will get another one back by the playoffs.
So agree cannot believe he posted that. Not sure last time I've seen so many key injuries week to week and it seems to be across the State.

Watched Oak Park Friday, they are pretty good, don't think they can hang with the better class 6 schools though. They should win their district, then who knows??
Did they come out of the gate faster this week? The talent to make the C6 quarters is definitely there but, yes, beating the Liberty North steamroller will be a huge ask. The aforementioned was my only real criticism of the game I saw at Platte County a couple of weeks back.

Reactions: James_On18
Did they come out of the gate faster this week? The talent to make the C6 quarters is definitely there but, yes, beating the Liberty North steamroller will be a huge ask. The aforementioned was my only real criticism of the game I saw at Platte County a couple of weeks back.
Fort O appears to be yet another team who has lost their starting QB so not sure how Week 9 will go but know the Indians are no pushover (wash, rinse, repeat since the early to mid 2000s LOL)..........

Not really fast, they got ahead and controlled the game. Their O-line is massive.

Not really fast, they got ahead and controlled the game. Their O-line is massive.
Good, serviceable QB. Excellent RB. Agree on the lines they totally owned the LOS vs. Platte County both sides of the ball and forced the super Soph who is now returning to Earth along with the rest of the Pirates into a lot of mistakes. Best of luck to them doggone wish they'd stayed in Class 5, though!

Good, serviceable QB. Excellent RB. Agree on the lines they totally owned the LOS vs. Platte County both sides of the ball and forced the super Soph who is now returning to Earth along with the rest of the Pirates into a lot of mistakes. Best of luck to them doggone wish they'd stayed in Class 5, though!
They'd have a great chance at 5

Where does Emmons (#6) rate among Kearney's all time best backs in your opinion? Last Friday looked very Broughton to me!
Well, now you are getting into a difference in coaching styles. Jones would pound a horse into the ground. If it works—he kept doing it til you stopped it.

Broughten his senior year had 347 touches that yielded 38 touchdowns. He averaged 6.49 yards per carry on the ground. They put the team on his back, and he had almost 60% of the total yards amassed from the total O.

By contrast, Minnick is Offense by committee, spreading the ball around—and they back off on lesser opponents, using as many as six different RBs.

Through 5 games, Emmons only has 62 touches, averaging 7.6 yards per touch. He had 225 rushing on Smithville, almost 9.5 per carry. Saw this from Zach Grace last year, only 82 touches for the season but he had 22 touchdowns. He ran a 30-yarder on Ruskin, then he was done for the night. Emmons just disappears in terms of touches sometimes. Why? Coaching philosophy, I guess? Emmons is certainly outpacing Broughten in yards per carry. But the number of touches is not even close to what Broughten did. Injury prevention?

Last edited:
Well, now you are getting into a difference in coaching styles. Jones would pound a horse into the ground. If it works—he kept doing it til you stopped it.

Broughten his senior year had 347 touches that yielded 38 touchdowns. He averaged 6.49 yards per carry on the ground. They put the team on his back, and he had almost 60% of the total yards amassed from the total O.

By contrast, Minnick is Offense by committee, spreading the ball around—and they back off on lesser opponents, using as many as six different RBs.

Through 5 games, Emmons only has 62 touches, averaging 7.6 yards per touch. He had 225 rushing on Smithville, almost 9.5 per carry. Saw this from Zach Grace last year, only 82 touches for the season but he had 22 touchdowns. He ran a 30-yarder on Ruskin, then he was done for the night. Emmons just disappears in terms of touches sometimes. Why? Coaching philosophy, I guess? Emmons is certainly outpacing Broughten in yards per carry. But the number of touches is not even close to what Broughten did. Injury prevention?
The running style is the main area where I see similarities. You are quite correct I still vivdly remember the 2012 Lee's Summit Broughton wildcat second half!

This year's unreal injury situation is likely why Minnick is very smartly doing that. Once the playoffs commence, though, I think he needs to ride this Emmons kid far as they can advance! I also really liked what I saw from the Rooney to Linthacum combo they were trying the deep balls that looked purely like practice/show plays and were just a tick off that will change provided both can stay healthy.

The BIG injury is the all conference Center. I saw Ruskin breaking through more than I expected defensively Friday gonna be extremely interested to see how they look Week 7 at Ray South now.

I've probably been hyper-critical of some things (imagine that LOL) hoping they clean up all those pens and turnovers because everything else is there for a run to CoMo I remain convinced!

Kearney down:

1) I see this excuse too much in recent years.
2) In the recent years, I'm talking before Minnick, there have been heaps of injuries. I want to know what the AST classes are doing at KMO. They have so much talent but no longevity.

KMO seems to have big physical kids, who play hard, wildly undisciplined, and get injured or career/season injuries every single season. Does their AST not put into place preventative measures while training? Are they just purely lifting glamor muscles and olympic lifts to show the guns off only to have weak ankles, knees, shoulders, and backs leading to massive injuries regardless of their ability?

Turf can partially be to blame but not every single year. This can't be the case! They have so many injuries, maybe it's time to change the culture of AST at KMO and find ways to still be strong, physical, and explosive; just not fundamentally weak.

3) Looking around many schools have similar athletes and they just don't seem to have those massive injuries all the time. From Smithville to Platte County and Liberty to Lees Summit. Is there something in the water at KMO, or the AST isn't up to snuff, or do kids faint at the sight of losing potential college play due to a tweak here and there.

The running style is the main area where I see similarities. You are quite correct I still vivdly remember the 2012 Lee's Summit Broughton wildcat second half!

This year's unreal injury situation is likely why Minnick is very smartly doing that. Once the playoffs commence, though, I think he needs to ride this Emmons kid far as they can advance! I also really liked what I saw from the Rooney to Linthacum combo they were trying the deep balls that looked purely like practice/show plays and were just a tick off that will change provided both can stay healthy.

The BIG injury is the all conference Center. I saw Ruskin breaking through more than I expected defensively Friday gonna be extremely interested to see how they look Week 7 at Ray South now.

I've probably been hyper-critical of some things (imagine that LOL) hoping they clean up all those pens and turnovers because everything else is there for a run to CoMo I remain convinced!

I am curious to see the front 7 on D for K vs. Raytown South and Grandview. This group of linebackers Stansbury, Helberg, Grace, and Shear, is a vast improvement over where they were in weeks one to three. Stansbury was only getting his feet wet, Helberg wasn't eligible yet, and Grace was out with an injury. However, they did lose Freeland, who was all-conference last year. Helberg is sound and athletic- baseball player. Stansbury is making players everywhere, another baseball player, he is 6'2" 210. Junior Grace is much faster and a little stronger than Cale Garett, but not quite as big at 6'2', 210. There were some extremely impressive plays Friday by him. Curious to see how the opponent run games works the next several weeks.

• Wow
Fort O appears to be yet another team who has lost their starting QB so not sure how Week 9 will go but know the Indians are no pushover (wash, rinse, repeat since the early to mid 2000s LOL)..........
C5 is very weak this year in KC (shame OP isn't part of C5). NKC and Raytown are way off where they've been and nobody else has taken a step forward. No parity. It has ended up working into FO's favor. PC vs. FO would be good I think. That #2 seed will be very important in that matchup with those fan bases.

GV's offense, if healthy, is so potent. Most people picked them out of KC before the season, and that was before Ty Williams came out of nowhere as a potential Simone award winner. If they can clamp down just some on defense they will be very hard to beat.

C5 is very weak this year in KC (shame OP isn't part of C5). NKC and Raytown are way off where they've been and nobody else has taken a step forward. No parity. It has ended up working into FO's favor. PC vs. FO would be good I think. That #2 seed will be very important in that matchup with those fan bases.

GV's offense, if healthy, is so potent. Most people picked them out of KC before the season, and that was before Ty Williams came out of nowhere as a potential Simone award winner. If they can clamp down just some on defense they will be very hard to beat.
NKC has wasted a lot of talent the last few years.

I am curious to see the front 7 on D for K vs. Raytown South and Grandview. This group of linebackers Stansbury, Helberg, Grace, and Shear, is a vast improvement over where they were in weeks one to three. Stansbury was only getting his feet wet, Helberg wasn't eligible yet, and Grace was out with an injury. However, they did lose Freeland, who was all-conference last year. Helberg is sound and athletic- baseball player. Stansbury is making players everywhere, another baseball player, he is 6'2" 210. Junior Grace is much faster and a little stronger than Cale Garett, but not quite as big at 6'2', 210. There were some extremely impressive plays Friday by him. Curious to see how the opponent run games works the next several weeks.
Are you indicating that the Grace kid is better than Cale Garrett was?

Agreed.... If GV keeps getting just a little better on defense every week, they will be very difficult to beat come playoff time. Their offense is almost unstoppable and the Greco kid is back. So just another weapon for them to use.

Reactions: da bears 25

GV defense is improving every week, you don't lose a Brody Baker and not feel it. GV offense can light up the scoreboard with most anyone but if they want to beat WC the defense has to continue to get better and not take plays off like they have been caught doing.

Are you indicating that the Grace kid is better than Cale Garrett was?

I said faster and stronger. There is no debate on that. A much more accomplished athlete in other sports. No debate there either. Does that translate to "better" on the football field? We shall see. I saw him chase down two running backs downfield from behind Friday, and block two PATs. I was impressed. I saw him blast some runners too. He is not a dainty tackler. Bigger, faster stronger version of Thompson from Fort.

Last edited:
2) In the recent years, I'm talking before Minnick, there have been heaps of injuries. I want to know what the AST classes are doing at KMO. They have so much talent but no longevity.

KMO seems to have big physical kids, who play hard, wildly undisciplined, and get injured or career/season injuries every single season. Does their AST not put into place preventative measures while training? Are they just purely lifting glamor muscles and olympic lifts to show the guns off only to have weak ankles, knees, shoulders, and backs leading to massive injuries regardless of their ability?

Turf can partially be to blame but not every single year. This can't be the case! They have so many injuries, maybe it's time to change the culture of AST at KMO and find ways to still be strong, physical, and explosive; just not fundamentally weak.

3) Looking around many schools have similar athletes and they just don't seem to have those massive injuries all the time. From Smithville to Platte County and Liberty to Lees Summit. Is there something in the water at KMO, or the AST isn't up to snuff, or do kids faint at the sight of losing potential college play due to a tweak here and there.

I'm not saying that you aren't right, but almost everyone I know of is dealing with way more injuries this year than in years past. Obviously, I don't know everyone, but most of the guys I know are having these issues.

1) Nobody is putting out injuries as an excuse here. That is your story. Injuries happen. Then there is your story about what is happening. Obviously, when you have major players out with injuries from a sports team, it impacts the team's performance. Duh!!! If not, then start your third stringers when your starters are healthy. That is not an excuse. That is just a reality.

2) AST Classes. Probably not where it should be at that school--you are probably on to something there. "So much talent but no longevity?" What does that mean? K just had three guys go D1 and a host of girls go D1 in various sports.

3) I'm not up on most school's injuries. I know Anneas Williams was out for the season with a broken collarbone. But all you have to do is look at the sideline and see the kids with crutches. I'm guessing there is not a lot of difference from school to school. However, when the injuries are top players (like top five on your team players) it makes a difference, and everyone notices. See Patrick Mahomes getting his knee re-directed in 2020.

Reactions: Boogie_Mane
I'm not saying that you aren't right, but almost everyone I know of is dealing with way more injuries this year than in years past. Obviously, I don't know everyone, but most of the guys I know are having these issues.

This ties in to what Boogie is saying about AST. Even jocks today don't have the background kids used to have in outdoor activities. A life history of running around a neighborhood and playing nonstop sports for years before high school. So then the ankles, knees, all that doesn't have all that background training. You have to have people that have the training to know today's kids and their backgrounds, and the technical knowledge to train them properly.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/pedbike/inactive.cfm

GV defense is improving every week, you don't lose a Brody Baker and not feel it. GV offense can light up the scoreboard with most anyone but if they want to beat WC the defense has to continue to get better and not take plays off like they have been caught doing.

Gotta improve that D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT