ADVERTISEMENT

Northland Schools?

the_d_is_silent.gif

• Haha
Reactions: thetophat2021
This ties in to what Boogie is saying about AST. Even jocks today don't have the background kids used to have in outdoor activities. A life history of running around a neighborhood and playing nonstop sports for years before high school. So then the ankles, knees, all that doesn't have all that background training. You have to have people that have the training to know today's kids and their backgrounds, and the technical knowledge to train them properly.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/pedbike/inactive.cfm

Yeah. When you're right, you're right.

I am curious to see the front 7 on D for K vs. Raytown South and Grandview. This group of linebackers Stansbury, Helberg, Grace, and Shear, is a vast improvement over where they were in weeks one to three. Stansbury was only getting his feet wet, Helberg wasn't eligible yet, and Grace was out with an injury. However, they did lose Freeland, who was all-conference last year. Helberg is sound and athletic- baseball player. Stansbury is making players everywhere, another baseball player, he is 6'2" 210. Junior Grace is much faster and a little stronger than Cale Garett, but not quite as big at 6'2', 210. There were some extremely impressive plays Friday by him. Curious to see how the opponent run games works the next several weeks.
The likely line is: at Ray South and Grandview then home to a really down (don't let the record deceive anyone reading) Belton then most likely District scenario is hosting Excelsior and Savannah then going back to Smithville. On the Cale comparison..................o_O

The likely line is: at Ray South and Grandview then home to a really down (don't let the record deceive anyone reading) Belton then most likely District scenario is hosting Excelsior and Savannah then going back to Smithville. On the Cale comparison..................o_O

Playing Excelsior is like having a week off, unfortunately. Five minutes into 2Q and it is over.

Those times were 2 decades ago.
Amazing how time flies (my God the 2003 team will be honored at the 20 year reunion at halftime of this December's C4 championship game!) but yet how everything has changed. Back then the West side of MO absolutely ruled HSFB all classes it was physicality on the lines that made the difference. Today STL is producing more top notch D1 athletes than one can count and the whole Privates issue lingers..............

Back then no Staley, no LSW, no LN totally different World today just along Highway 92 where PC and Smithville both have top drawer programs contending year in and out (maybe not PC this year but loooook out 2024 and 2025). No excuses, though. This year's KDogs team has a ton of talent all over the place we shall see how much the coaching staff and these players clean everything up (fingers crossed for this Alum)...........

• Haha
Reactions: Veer_left
I am curious to see the front 7 on D for K vs. Raytown South and Grandview. This group of linebackers Stansbury, Helberg, Grace, and Shear, is a vast improvement over where they were in weeks one to three. Stansbury was only getting his feet wet, Helberg wasn't eligible yet, and Grace was out with an injury. However, they did lose Freeland, who was all-conference last year. Helberg is sound and athletic- baseball player. Stansbury is making players everywhere, another baseball player, he is 6'2" 210. Junior Grace is much faster and a little stronger than Cale Garett, but not quite as big at 6'2', 210. There were some extremely impressive plays Friday by him. Curious to see how the opponent run games works the next several weeks.
Grandview is playing very well albeit 90+ percent run. Not sure that will play all that well weeks 8 and 9 but also like their O Line. Great to see them in this position! Count me thinking Week 8 will be a very, very good challenge for Kearney's vaunted D Line.

1) I see this excuse too much in recent years.
2) In the recent years, I'm talking before Minnick, there have been heaps of injuries. I want to know what the AST classes are doing at KMO. They have so much talent but no longevity.

KMO seems to have big physical kids, who play hard, wildly undisciplined, and get injured or career/season injuries every single season. Does their AST not put into place preventative measures while training? Are they just purely lifting glamor muscles and olympic lifts to show the guns off only to have weak ankles, knees, shoulders, and backs leading to massive injuries regardless of their ability?

Turf can partially be to blame but not every single year. This can't be the case! They have so many injuries, maybe it's time to change the culture of AST at KMO and find ways to still be strong, physical, and explosive; just not fundamentally weak.

3) Looking around many schools have similar athletes and they just don't seem to have those massive injuries all the time. From Smithville to Platte County and Liberty to Lees Summit. Is there something in the water at KMO, or the AST isn't up to snuff, or do kids faint at the sight of losing potential college play due to a tweak here and there.
1) This is happening everywhere this year not just in KTown. Injuries are definitely part of this game but the key numbers are really high so far.

2) Kearney is in year two of a HUGE transition and it will all be for the (much) better in the long run trust me. They are indeed fortunate to have this "purple wave" of top talent coming through but I do expect them to, as long as Minnick sticks around, do nothing but get better all around. Tough to rebuild a program after five post-Jones down years but it will absolutely happen again if he stays here. Amazing the competition level today vs. just one decade ago on Hwy 92!

3) You mentioned the new turf. Haven't been anywhere near it no idea how it feels but do notice lots of these injuries happening on it including visiting teams. Who knows? I still just think some of it is the fact teams are really coming after Kearney hard this year. No more sneaking up on anyone.

1) Nobody is putting out injuries as an excuse here. That is your story. Injuries happen. Then there is your story about what is happening. Obviously, when you have major players out with injuries from a sports team, it impacts the team's performance. Duh!!! If not, then start your third stringers when your starters are healthy. That is not an excuse. That is just a reality.

2) AST Classes. Probably not where it should be at that school--you are probably on to something there. "So much talent but no longevity?" What does that mean? K just had three guys go D1 and a host of girls go D1 in various sports.

3) I'm not up on most school's injuries. I know Anneas Williams was out for the season with a broken collarbone. But all you have to do is look at the sideline and see the kids with crutches. I'm guessing there is not a lot of difference from school to school. However, when the injuries are top players (like top five on your team players) it makes a difference, and everyone notices. See Patrick Mahomes getting his knee re-directed in 2020.
To the longevity, I see very explosive athletes and look to be in premiere physical shape. They break down and have serious injuries every year. I find it odd at least KMO has had several cases in football. I can't speak for their other sports but I know track there is exceptional.

I was pointing at how KMO always has top athletes out in football each year. Relative other schools don't seem to have that problem. I can be totally wrong on that front as well.

Yes, again, AST classes from the last few decades that haven't changed from old school power lifts only but not looking to the best for athletes.

You're spot on though with your third point. I only bring up KMO more in this instance I see them always have top talent injuries every year from knees torn, hands broken, ankles broken, shoulder etc. All early in football seasons.

To the longevity, I see very explosive athletes and look to be in premiere physical shape. They break down and have serious injuries every year. I find it odd at least KMO has had several cases in football. I can't speak for their other sports but I know track there is exceptional.

I was pointing at how KMO always has top athletes out in football each year. Relative other schools don't seem to have that problem. I can be totally wrong on that front as well.

Yes, again, AST classes from the last few decades that haven't changed from old school power lifts only but not looking to the best for athletes.

You're spot on though with your third point. I only bring up KMO more in this instance I see them always have top talent injuries every year from knees torn, hands broken, ankles broken, shoulder etc. All early in football seasons.
Joeeeyyy sttaaaaahhppppppppppppppppppppppppp

1) This is happening everywhere this year not just in KTown. Injuries are definitely part of this game but the key numbers are really high so far.

2) Kearney is in year two of a HUGE transition and it will all be for the (much) better in the long run trust me. They are indeed fortunate to have this "purple wave" of top talent coming through but I do expect them to, as long as Minnick sticks around, do nothing but get better all around. Tough to rebuild a program after five post-Jones down years but it will absolutely happen again if he stays here. Amazing the competition level today vs. just one decade ago on Hwy 92!

3) You mentioned the new turf. Haven't been anywhere near it no idea how it feels but do notice lots of these injuries happening on it including visiting teams. Who knows? I still just think some of it is the fact teams are really coming after Kearney hard this year. No more sneaking up on anyone.
Was Minnick really Kearneys 4th choice for the job when he was hired?

I'm not saying that you aren't right, but almost everyone I know of is dealing with way more injuries this year than in years past. Obviously, I don't know everyone, but most of the guys I know are having these issues.
I agree. I think like others have said specialization has created more injuries. I only notice some schools like Liberty, KMO, Staley, and OP of recent years (maybe not this season) have had kids with serious injury.

It's more of a question of why are kids at certain schools having issues over others. I think it could be a focus or lack of focus in AST classes. I know of one school who primarily only power lifts and wonder why their players get hurt when maxing it out on game days.

I think my main question is "why are more injuries happening?" I talk about KMO as I have been on that field, smithville's, platte's, and liberty's. I just remember seeing more severe injuries at KMO over those schools from broken hands, collarbones, shoulder, knees, ankles, shins, you name it.

I wonder if the type of activities kids do now is the factor or is it AST classes or is it the power lifting hit max effort all the time?

I think my main question is "why are more injuries happening?" I talk about KMO as I have been on that field, smithville's, platte's, and liberty's. I just remember seeing more severe injuries at KMO over those schools from broken hands, collarbones, shoulder, knees, ankles, shins, you name it.

I wonder if the type of activities kids do now is the factor or is it AST classes or is it the power lifting hit max effort all the time?

Well, first you need to look at what types of injuries they are?

Torn ACLs?
Broken bones? (Bones just break sometimes in contact sports)

Excelsior lost their QB for the year. Fort has their QB down right now. Menne missed a good part of the year for Fort last year.

Kearney lost their state champion hurdler that now goes to Nebraska for all of last season. He made a run-up for state and got third. But he was WAY off where he was the previous year.

Well, first you need to look at what types of injuries they are?

Torn ACLs?
Broken bones? (Bones just break sometimes in contact sports)

Excelsior lost their QB for the year. Fort has their QB down right now. Menne missed a good part of the year for Fort last year.
Agree contact sports providers more chances to break a bone.

Strickland from Smithville broke his femur a few years ago.

I think you or someone else mentioned it. Is specialization and generic training causing the injury issue? I think it’s a combo personally.

Agree contact sports providers more chances to break a bone.

Strickland from Smithville broke his femur a few years ago.

I think you or someone else mentioned it. Is specialization and generic training causing the injury issue? I think it’s a combo personally.

Platte County last year had a huge wave of injuries. They lost Salzman for the year with a broken bone. They lost a host of others for multiple games. Their first two games with Kearney and Smithville slobberknockered them. There you have a team loaded with future D1 and D2 players that spiraled into a 5-6 season. And for bozos saying I am making an excuse for them...I am not. It just happened and the results blew me away. That much talent just not on the field.

Last edited:
Platte County last year had a huge wave of injuries. They lost Salzman for the year with a broken bone. They lost a host of others for multiple games. There you have a team loaded with furture D1 and D2 players that spiraled into a 5-6 season. And for bozos saying I am making an excuse for them...I am not. It just happened and the results blew me away. That much talent just not on the field.
I’d like to see a study done on injuries done about HS football athletes in general. Too many are getting these season ending injuries, from what? Idk.

My opinion is the old school refusal to change or adapt training weightlifting classes offered from some schools. Training one aspect of an athlete I see at more schools getting more athletes injured over others. PC is no exception, I agree, as they are a strict “football players only” at summer weights.

I’d like to see a study done on injuries done about HS football athletes in general. Too many are getting these season ending injuries, from what? Idk.

My opinion is the old school refusal to change or adapt training weightlifting classes offered from some schools. Training one aspect of an athlete I see at more schools getting more athletes injured over others. PC is no exception, I agree, as they are a strict “football players only” at summer weights.

Yep...the obsession with max lifts, or even 3-5 rep maxes...and what does that really do for performance and injury prevention? There needs to be variety and particularity.

I wonder if the type of activities kids do now is the factor or is it AST classes or is it the power lifting hit max effort all the time.
Wish I had an answer for ya. Usually when "fishbone" diagramming a single root cause you find it is a combo OR just plain snake bite.

Not to bring webb in but i really think its the strength programs. Our dbs are 200 and thick. Lifting has been a bigger thing lately and maybe that is stressing the ligaments and bones. Who knows....i hate it.

Amazing how time flies (my God the 2003 team will be honored at the 20 year reunion at halftime of this December's C4 championship game!) but yet how everything has changed. Back then the West side of MO absolutely ruled HSFB all classes it was physicality on the lines that made the difference. Today STL is producing more top notch D1 athletes than one can count and the whole Privates issue lingers..............

Back then no Staley, no LSW, no LN totally different World today just along Highway 92 where PC and Smithville both have top drawer programs contending year in and out (maybe not PC this year but loooook out 2024 and 2025). No excuses, though. This year's KDogs team has a ton of talent all over the place we shall see how much the coaching staff and these players clean everything up (fingers crossed for this Alum)...........
The 2003 C4 semifinal was indeed funny as it gets, veer left.................Floray told me all about how this board was back then...............

When you guys get it all figured out, please let local AD's and coaches know your findings. I'm sure they would put it all to good use to solve the (mythical) problems.

Ray South must be good. They took an early lead on Smithville they kept for most of the 1Q. SV had to go on 4th down a few times to get their first TD drive. RS got picked three times and were only down 21-12 with 2 minutes left in the 4thQ . Man, don't sleep on Ray South. Held SV QB to 8/18.

Ray South must be good. They took an early lead on Smithville they kept for most of the 1Q. SV had to go on 4th down a few times to get their first TD drive. RS got picked three times and were only down 21-12 with 2 minutes left in the 4thQ . Man, don't sleep on Ray South. Held SV QB to 8/18.
Grandview beat them 40-zip so how good are those Bulldogs?

When you guys get it all figured out, please let local AD's and coaches know your findings. I'm sure they would put it all to good use to solve the (mythical) problems.
I dont think this guy gets the whole "message board" idea. Sounds like someone that says "great call ref" with every yellow flag.

I dont think this guy gets the whole "message board" idea. Sounds like someone that says "great call ref" with every yellow flag.
You could say he tends to veer left at the thought of having a real opinion.

I couldn't help myself from a tasteless pun

• Haha
Reactions: Veer_left
Smithville is known for subbing a lot in games like this how many carries did the HC's kid have?
HC kid - 0 carries Top RB 13 carries.

Raytown South 205 Yards rushing. 7.3 per carry. 137 yards passing. 12/21. 1 TD and 3 INTs. The INTs killed them.

Ray South 342 total yards
Smithville 297
The team that got rolled by Grandview?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT