ADVERTISEMENT

If you were the King of MSHSAA, what would you do different?

Pancho and Lefty

Feb 6, 2007
1. Split championships into public and private
2. Football go back to back to 5 classes.
3. Shorten basketball season by 2 weeks.
4. Increase officials pay
5. Always have a cash option when having online only ticket sales.

Would the 5 classes include 1 for the private or would it be 5 public schools and 1 private?

1. Split championships into public and private
2. Football go back to back to 5 classes.
3. Shorten basketball season by 2 weeks.
4. Increase officials pay
5. Always have a cash option when having online only ticket sales.
1) Have the best interests of the students in mind rather than chasing the $$$$$$$$$$$$$
2) When I say students, I mean ALL students not just the ones in my circle.
3) Set classes and districts at least 6 months prior to the season for ease of scheduling
4) Change the seed formulation
5) I would be required to ride the yellow bus with the team traveling the farthest each district round
6) Enforce the rules regardless of who committed the violation.
7) You get caught recruiting, you're out of the playoffs for as long as the player is at your school.
8) Hire good people.
9) Enact an oversight board that would consist of more than just overpuffed admins.

1) Have the best interests of the students in mind rather than chasing the $$$$$$$$$$$$$
2) When I say students, I mean ALL students not just the ones in my circle.
3) Set classes and districts at least 6 months prior to the season for ease of scheduling
4) Change the seed formulation
5) I would be required to ride the yellow bus with the team traveling the farthest each district round
6) Enforce the rules regardless of who committed the violation.
7) You get caught recruiting, you're out of the playoffs for as long as the player is at your school.
8) Hire good people.
9) Enact an oversight board that would consist of more than just overpuffed admins.
All solid responses, but numbers 5 and 9...YES. If the oversight board is oversight of MSHSAA?

After watching 5 other state activities associations over a number of years, I think MSHSAA does very good.
Agree! Seems easy to sit here and complain about the Association when what they do does not fit “my” agenda. The decisions they make are made depending all the information provided to them by member schools. Some of us learned a long time ago that whatever decision is made will not make everyone happy… No matter what it is…. So tighten up your chin strap and deal with it!

1. Eliminate conferences for football put teams in 6 or 7 team districts starting with week 3 or 4 play everybody top 2 advance to playoffs cross bracket and play on Saturdays teams from same district wouldn't meet until state championship game.
2. Change enrollment numbers for 8 man to allow more schools to go 8 man.
3. Put all softball in the same season probably spring.
4. Separate private and public schools for soccer, tennis, golf, and anything I'm forgetting that are dominated by privates. Reinstate multiplier for private schools at .25 and keep success factor but tweak it to less years which would require adjustment of point system.
5. Try to get state championship games back on TV.
6. Take Final 8 teams to state tournament site and get rid of 3rd place games in basketball volleyball soccer softball etc. Harder to do with baseball because of pitching.

IMO 5 for public, private can do what they want as far as 1 or 2 classes. Separate set of rules, separate set of championships.
As a public school coach, I wanted to play the best teams around! I also learned that not all public schools are the same and all private schools are not the same. Maybe the success factor should be applied to all schools to give more schools a chance for that medal!!! 10 classes for public and 4 for private!!! 😁

Stand back everybody...Bosko is INCOMING!!
stay-puft-124333.jpg

As a public school coach, I wanted to play the best teams around! I also learned that not all public schools are the same and all private schools are not the same. Maybe the success factor should be applied to all schools to give more schools a chance for that medal!!! 10 classes for public and 4 for private!!! 😁
All for playing against good teams. That's the best way to get better. We aren't going to agree, but my opinion is it isn't a level playing field when you have schools with a 4 mile attendance boundary playing against 1 with a 20 (or is it 25?). If you have the right 4 or 5 players, the success factor doesn't make much difference.

Agree on 1 softball season, spring softball make more sense, could see an umpire shortage.

1. Build a state architect indoor stadium to host Football, Basketball Volleyball, and Wrestling championships either in Columbia, or Jeff City
2. “ Make Class 1 schools with 20 Wins or Less in the past 6 Seasons, not including Private schools or no schools with a enrollment of 200 and under”
3. Combined the Illinois playoff System, and Missouri point system but all teams makes the playoffs.
4. Get rid of this stupid Online ticket bs. go back to Cash only,
5. If games are over 3+ hour round trip, games has to played at neutral sites.
6. Bump up the running clock time from 35 points to 49 Points.
7. Release districts and assignments 3 months prior to start of season.
8.Finally i make bosko the president of Mshsaa and Kearney Moms as his secretary’s

Last edited:
1. Build a state architect indoor stadium to host Football, Basketball Volleyball, and Wrestling championships either in Columbia, or Jeff City
2. Make Class 1 All Schools that’s has less than 30 Wins in the last 6 seasons, Class 2 Private Schools. Class 3-6 Divided evenly.
3. Combined the Illinois playoff System, and Missouri point system but all teams makes the playoffs.
4. Get rid of this stupid Online ticket bs. go back to Cash only,
5. If games are over 3+ hour round trip, games has to played at neutral sites.
6. Bump up the running clock time from 35 points to 49 Points.
7. Release districts and assignments 3 months prior to start of season.
8.Finally i make bosko the president of Mshsaa and Kearney Moms as his secretary’s
I like all of this. On #1, I piddled around with this idea several years ago. Might have to do something with MU because of the cost, but can you imagine a well-designed indoor football stadium that seats 15,000, and can be used for soccer, baseball, basketball, etc state championships and final fours? State of the art, modern, great site lines, locker rooms, etc.?

Elect me your next king, and I will build this for you, the people!

There are public schools that are recruiting and private schools that are not. And to think it is not happening at public schools is naive. Maybe separate private in KC/St.L seems equitable, but there are privates in other parts of Missouri that are nothing like those big city private schools. A one-size fits all solution doesn’t work. That is why I agree that success factor should apply to all schools, but shorten to four years.

Reactions: Vallegrad2
There are public schools that are recruiting and private schools that are not. And to think it is not happening at public schools is naive. Maybe separate private in KC/St.L seems equitable, but there are privates in other parts of Missouri that are nothing like those big city private schools. A one-size fits all solution doesn’t work. That is why I agree that success factor should apply to all schools, but shorten to four years.
So if you know it's happening, report them.
Is MSHSAA not doing their jobs?

Reactions: Vallegrad2
No need for success factor. Separate associations. One public. One private.
They can still schedule inter-association games in the regular season.

Reactions: MGHS and Treadmill
1. Offer a $50 online package... you get all the postseason games for that sport...
2. Reseed football after districts (use the point system, travel would probably be less than districts)
3. Hire an assistant king who would be honest with me when something is a bad idea... probably Veer
4. Move boys golf to the fall and girls to the spring... no reason you have girls tennis and golf in the fall and boys golf and tennis in the spring.
5. Give Pembroke Hill back their state basketball titles from the mid 90s (the stuff they got busted for would be ignored compared to some of the shady crap going on now... plus those trophies are displayed in the MSHSAA office as almost a way to show off)

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Agree let the private schools form their own playoff association. Totally get it there is quite a diff in CBC and Valle. If they want to go to large and small school playoffs, so be it. Let them decide. If public schools want to play them during the regular season, they can.

I haven't heard a basketball coach yet say the season is too short. Start a week later. Have you ever seen how excited kids get on snow days for indoor sports, or massive rain days and facility constraints on rain days, when they hear the intercom announce "baseball practice is cancelled"?

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT