ADVERTISEMENT

Common-Sense Districts/Postseason/Realignment Idea

NikeFootball59

Aug 22, 2015
This has been a little offseason project of mine. This was all inspired by a 2020 playoff game where the roster of 60 I coached on was depleted to just 24 due to COVID. We were having a pretty great season and we were playing for a ticket to the District Championship against the #6 team in the state. The problem? Our 24 kids couldn't match up with the opposition's 83. We played our hearts out, never trailing until late in the third quarter. We just did not have the depth to compete with the opposition. Now, I coach at a Class 1 school where this small roster size is an everyday reality. The differences in a team of 30 kids playing a team of 40-50 are huge.

This made me consider a tactic MSHSAA could employ for parity. What if we added a roster size multiplier to the enrollments of schools and classified them from there? These roster size desparities are an underrated factor in the lack of parity facing our game. We cannot control whether or not teams recruit, but we can control a team that is a couple of injuries away from forfeiting playing against a team that's three-deep at every position in big games.

In doing this, I formulated the current enrollments listed on MSHSAA and morphed them into a 9-12 estimate. From there, I listed the roster sizes of each school (also on MSHSAA). Subjectively, I found that the "ideal" roster size is 44 kids. In an ideal world with relatively even amounts of kids per grade, this could allow for teams to go two-deep on J.V. and maybe even afford a freshman/C-team. In doing this, every one number greater or less than 44 added 10 students to the 9-12 enrollment. So a school of 450 with 48 kids playing football would play as a school of 490 kids with this adjusted enrollment factor. This doesn't make huge differences compared to where we are now, but schools in high-participation conferences (Clarence Cannon, Big 8, etc.) are sometimes found playing "up" a division with this. Some schools that are greatly affected are the ones with the extremely inflated rosters. Three that come to mind are Smithville (123), Kearney (110), and Centralia (83) who all experience enrollment boosts of 790, 660, and 390 respectfully. This may seem unfair to them, but it isn't fair to their regular competition to play a team with 2-4x as many players as they do. We already have rules in place that prevent a public school from playing against a school twice its size in their classification. Why not apply that principle to the actual players on the field as well?

This actually has a similar effect on the private schools as the current rules in place. Not all private schools are built the same. St. Vincent, Springfield Catholic, and even Helias are different entities than DeSmet, CBC, or Lutheran North. Usually the schools who get complained about the most on here also boast great numbers compared to their competition. Lutheran North has 50 kids, Grandview Hillsboro has 27. Similar enrollments, but very different situations and rosters. With that said, it's equally important for enrollment size to be considered in this. If we're just classifying based off of roster sizes, Centralia and Carthage would be in the same classification. 83/1,000 kids is a different animal than 83/500. This formula considers both enrollment and roster size, not just one or the other.

Full Results & Enrollments Adjusted

For the district alignments, consider that MSHSAA will have 312 teams playing 11-man football in 2022. That is unless there is some sort of 8-man news I haven't read up on yet. You could keep it as 6 classes, with 52 in each. However, in what I found, having six classes makes for some very odd geography and it becomes tough to divide into districts. I'm not a fan of what MSHSAA currently does, which spots certain teams a BYE because they play in a 6-team district vs. 7-team districts. I'm a big fan of keeping every district even numerically and keeping geographic integrity. This is why I'm a bigger fan of four classes of 78 teams in each. Each class has six districts of thirteen teams.

Teams by District & Classification

To take things a step further, I'm also a big fan of playing your district. We all love non-conference showdowns like Blair Oaks/Maryville, but our state is a circus with scheduling. You have some conferences with literally five teams (Mississippi River Conference) and others that offer a full regular season slate of only conference games (COC, CCC). With 13-team districts, this gives every team 12 games. Before people come clamoring in about, how that's too many games, remember that each Class only has 6 districts. You win your 13-team district to make the playoffs. There's a quarterfinal, semifinal, and a state game. 15 games are still being played by the state finalists. Giving every team 12 games gives everyone a chance to play in November as well.

Sorry for the long post, it's been a lot of thought put into this. What do you guys think about it?

I don't think they will go for it. I coached on a team where we had 17 players in class 2. Our conference was class 1 to class 5. We were always at the disadvantage.

Reactions: NikeFootball59
I don't think they will go for it. I coached on a team where we had 17 players in class 2. Our conference was class 1 to class 5. We were always at the disadvantage.
I don’t think they’d do this, it’s just an idea. Our state is becoming so messy with scheduling and blatant mismatches

Huh? I said I coached at a school that had 17 players out. We played in a conference that had class 1 to class 5.

I appreciate anyone who is willing to think outside the box and make an effort. I wish those in charge cared enough to do that.

Reactions: NikeFootball59
This has been a little offseason project of mine. This was all inspired by a 2020 playoff game where the roster of 60 I coached on was depleted to just 24 due to COVID. We were having a pretty great season and we were playing for a ticket to the District Championship against the #6 team in the state. The problem? Our 24 kids couldn't match up with the opposition's 83. We played our hearts out, never trailing until late in the third quarter. We just did not have the depth to compete with the opposition. Now, I coach at a Class 1 school where this small roster size is an everyday reality. The differences in a team of 30 kids playing a team of 40-50 are huge.

This made me consider a tactic MSHSAA could employ for parity. What if we added a roster size multiplier to the enrollments of schools and classified them from there? These roster size desparities are an underrated factor in the lack of parity facing our game. We cannot control whether or not teams recruit, but we can control a team that is a couple of injuries away from forfeiting playing against a team that's three-deep at every position in big games.

In doing this, I formulated the current enrollments listed on MSHSAA and morphed them into a 9-12 estimate. From there, I listed the roster sizes of each school (also on MSHSAA). Subjectively, I found that the "ideal" roster size is 44 kids. In an ideal world with relatively even amounts of kids per grade, this could allow for teams to go two-deep on J.V. and maybe even afford a freshman/C-team. In doing this, every one number greater or less than 44 added 10 students to the 9-12 enrollment. So a school of 450 with 48 kids playing football would play as a school of 490 kids with this adjusted enrollment factor. This doesn't make huge differences compared to where we are now, but schools in high-participation conferences (Clarence Cannon, Big 8, etc.) are sometimes found playing "up" a division with this. Some schools that are greatly affected are the ones with the extremely inflated rosters. Three that come to mind are Smithville (123), Kearney (110), and Centralia (83) who all experience enrollment boosts of 790, 660, and 390 respectfully. This may seem unfair to them, but it isn't fair to their regular competition to play a team with 2-4x as many players as they do. We already have rules in place that prevent a public school from playing against a school twice its size in their classification. Why not apply that principle to the actual players on the field as well?

This actually has a similar effect on the private schools as the current rules in place. Not all private schools are built the same. St. Vincent, Springfield Catholic, and even Helias are different entities than DeSmet, CBC, or Lutheran North. Usually the schools who get complained about the most on here also boast great numbers compared to their competition. Lutheran North has 50 kids, Grandview Hillsboro has 27. Similar enrollments, but very different situations and rosters. With that said, it's equally important for enrollment size to be considered in this. If we're just classifying based off of roster sizes, Centralia and Carthage would be in the same classification. 83/1,000 kids is a different animal than 83/500. This formula considers both enrollment and roster size, not just one or the other.

For the district alignments, consider that MSHSAA will have 312 teams playing 11-man football in 2022. That is unless there is some sort of 8-man news I haven't read up on yet. You could keep it as 6 classes, with 52 in each. However, in what I found, having six classes makes for some very odd geography and it becomes tough to divide into districts. I'm not a fan of what MSHSAA currently does, which spots certain teams a BYE because they play in a 6-team district vs. 7-team districts. I'm a big fan of keeping every district even numerically and keeping geographic integrity. This is why I'm a bigger fan of four classes of 78 teams in each. Each class has six districts of thirteen teams.

To take things a step further, I'm also a big fan of playing your district. We all love non-conference showdowns like Blair Oaks/Maryville, but our state is a circus with scheduling. You have some conferences with literally five teams (Mississippi River Conference) and others that offer a full regular season slate of only conference games (COC, CCC). With 13-team districts, this gives every team 12 games. Before people come clamoring in about, how that's too many games, remember that each Class only has 6 districts. You win your 13-team district to make the playoffs. There's a quarterfinal, semifinal, and a state game. 15 games are still being played by the state finalists. Giving every team 12 games gives everyone a chance to play in November as well.

Sorry for the long post, it's been a lot of thought put into this. What do you guys think about it?
What class 1 school had 83 players??

First of all, awesome amount of time and effort put in to your plan. Impressive, even including pins with picture stadium locations. I understand your point and you make many good ones. Tip of the cap. Simple solution, if this were implemented, I would bet that schools would just have cuts and set roster limits. Our school does not cut nor would ever cut. Well, unless this were to happen. I would not be in favor. The game of football should be perpetuated. The things associated with being a part of a team and learning so many priceless lessons are meant and needed by the many, or at least the more. That is my philosophy. If you meet the expectations we set forth, your ability or measurables do not matter. I don't care if you could not play dead in a Western, you do what you are supposed to, how you are supposed to, you belong on our team. Most young people need football way more than football needs them. Actually, so do most coaches! This plan would penalize those schools that carry big rosters and keep kids as part of a team. A school of 900 would most certainly not enjoy playing a school of 2300 week in or week out. There is a difference in the quality of those kids on the roster between a school of 900 and a school of 2300. Just my take. Thank you for the thoughts and insight. Happy Easter.

First of all, awesome amount of time and effort put in to your plan. Impressive, even including pins with picture stadium locations. I understand your point and you make many good ones. Tip of the cap. Simple solution, if this were implemented, I would bet that schools would just have cuts and set roster limits. Our school does not cut nor would ever cut. Well, unless this were to happen. I would not be in favor. The game of football should be perpetuated. The things associated with being a part of a team and learning so many priceless lessons are meant and needed by the many, or at least the more. That is my philosophy. If you meet the expectations we set forth, your ability or measurables do not matter. I don't care if you could not play dead in a Western, you do what you are supposed to, how you are supposed to, you belong on our team. Most young people need football way more than football needs them. Actually, so do most coaches! This plan would penalize those schools that carry big rosters and keep kids as part of a team. A school of 900 would most certainly not enjoy playing a school of 2300 week in or week out. There is a difference in the quality of those kids on the roster between a school of 900 and a school of 2300. Just my take. Thank you for the thoughts and insight. Happy Easter.
Thank you for the kind words! I meant to include that potential flaw in there. This is just a hypothetical idea. The hope is that you can rely on grown men who have outstanding leadership roles to act with a shred of integrity. I think 99% of coaches are good men, but there’s certain coaches who lack integrity and would gladly cheat for immediate success. I personally could never cut a kid because he’s not talented enough, I’m too soft.

I think roster size disparities do create massive advantages/disadvantages that can’t be overcome with simple elbow grease more often than not. I think MSHSAA should always be looking for ways to eliminate scenarios that guarantee a team will fail regardless of how hard they play. I have been in that scenario as a coach and it is so sad. I fully understand it’s a part of life and this game teaches life lessons, but we should always be looking for ways to improve and be better. Not everything should have to be hard just because “hard” is the tradition! Just my thoughts. Have a great Easter as well!

Just multiply each school’s free and reduced lunch percentage by their whole schools population and use that number for classifications. It’s amazing how level the playing field becomes.
That’s actually a really great point. Never thought of that before

Love the ingenuity of this. What is there to stop teams from simply limiting their rosters so that they can avoid moving up or down? Just like teams who are currently installing now (which isn't allowed) there will be those who manipulate any system put in place for an advantage.

I like the free and reduced lunch percentage idea, I feel like that would be a good blend of this idea and it is something that is generally out of control of the district.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TheRealJoey

So the most dominating team in state history, the 2003 Kearney Bulldogs had a roster of 35. Should they have played in Class 2 instead of Class 4?

Roster size is too arbitrary a number to use, and too controllable. You don't want to build in a system that rewards keeping a smaller roster, necessarily. And there are different philosophies on who gets to stay on a roster. Enrollment is not a controllable factor (at least in theory.) When you start diving into subjective categories, you lose objectivity. What if teams declare the number of likely college players, D1, D2 or other players they are going to have in a season? Two three-star players and you move up a class? It just is too tedious and could be manipulated.

So the most dominating team in state history, the 2003 Kearney Bulldogs had a roster of 35. Should they have played in Class 2 instead of Class 4?
Good for them. Yes, they should have if their 9-12 enrollment was low enough. Them winning Class 4 with 35 players is remarkable, but we shouldn't design the system around one team overachieving.

Roster size is too arbitrary a number to use, and too controllable. You don't want to build in a system that rewards keeping a smaller roster, necessarily. And there are different philosophies on who gets to stay on a roster. Enrollment is not a controllable factor (at least in theory.) When you start diving into subjective categories, you lose objectivity. What if teams declare the number of likely college players, D1, D2 or other players they are going to have in a season? Two three-star players and you move up a class? It just is too tedious and could be manipulated.
As I mentioned earlier, we should be able to trust the grown men in place of leading a football team to act with integrity. There can also be rules that apply to roster sizes. No additions after a certain date, maybe? While it's an arbitrary factor, it can also be measured pretty easily. Do the guys on the sideline/field match the roster numbers sent to MSHSAA? A few kids can maybe be added in August if it doesn't push them up or down a class. The only ones who would have to be on serious watch are the schools who are >4 kids away from playing up or down. Again, this is all hypothetical.

If a team has a small roster, but is loaded with talent, good for them. It's not fair to put a team of 75 guys (that can two-platoon or sub guys all night without losing much) against a team of 31. Fatigue is the ultimate equalizer of talent. If a team is lying about roster sizes or cutting guys to play down, the coach needs to be punished for it. Doesn't have to be an eliminated season like what happened with Cardinal Ritter a few years back, but maybe just something like a predetermined loss or a playoff ban if severe enough.

As I mentioned earlier, we should be able to trust the grown men in place of leading a football team to act with integrity. There can also be rules that apply to roster sizes. No additions after a certain date, maybe? While it's an arbitrary factor, it can also be measured pretty easily. Do the guys on the sideline/field match the roster numbers sent to MSHSAA? A few kids can maybe be added in August if it doesn't push them up or down a class. The only ones who would have to be on serious watch are the schools who are >4 kids away from playing up or down. Again, this is all hypothetical.

If a team has a small roster, but is loaded with talent, good for them. It's not fair to put a team of 75 guys (that can two-platoon or sub guys all night without losing much) against a team of 31. Fatigue is the ultimate equalizer of talent. If a team is lying about roster sizes or cutting guys to play down, the coach needs to be punished for it. Doesn't have to be an eliminated season like what happened with Cardinal Ritter a few years back, but maybe just something like a predetermined loss or a playoff ban if severe enough.

Any system that requires integrity for its success is doomed to fail. Even if 99% of coaches have integrity.

I did see Liberty North a couple years ago...take on Truman, who showed up with about 34 players. It was sad. So I see your point to an extent. But the application of this would lead down a slippery slope of subjectivity and possible team size manipulation.

I did see Liberty North a couple years ago...take on Truman, who showed up with about 34 players. It was sad. So I see your point to an extent. But the application of this would lead down a slippery slope of subjectivity and possible team size manipulation.

Exactly. You always have to consider the unintended consequences. This happens far too little at the policy level at MSHSAA, etc.

Just multiply each school’s free and reduced lunch percentage by their whole schools population and use that number for classifications. It’s amazing how level the playing field becomes.
This is the best idea on here

Looks like Soph through Senior, Kearney now has 138 players. Perhaps due to the new coach coming in...picking up 28 more players?

my idea for realignment might be stupid but i think it could fit for football. The problem i see every year and out is that The Stl/KC schools dominated classes 3-6 every year except for Webb City.

They're is 2 ways teams get moved down

1. Teams with roster size of 30 or less in Classes 3-6

2. Schools that has a huge school boundaries. I'm Sorry but Troy, Smith-Cotton, Branson, Poplar Bluff, and Camdenton fit better in Class 4 than the class they're in now. They'll have a better chance to make it longer in the playoffs. they are small size town schools with a huge District Boundary's.

Since 2002 Classes 3-6 have had 49 Stl/KC schools state Champions & 27 Non Stl/KC area state champions but 10 of the 27 Non Big Cities schools champions was Webb City.

Class 6 would be the top 16 STL /15 KC schools plus Joplin.

Class 5 would be top 12 STL/KC Schools, Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Jeff City, Joplin, St Joseph, and Springfield Area Schools.

Class 4. 8 or 12 Stl/KC schools smaller big cities schools and next bigger schools.

my idea for realignment might be stupid but i think it could fit for football. The problem i see every year and out is that The Stl/KC schools dominated classes 3-6 every year except for Webb City.

2. Schools that has a huge school boundaries. I'm Sorry but Troy, Smith-Cotton, Branson, Poplar Bluff, and Camdenton fit better in Class 4 than the class they're in now. They'll have a better chance to make it longer in the playoffs. they are small size town schools with a huge District Boundary's.

Since 2002 Classes 3-6 have had 49 Stl/KC schools state Champions & 27 Non Stl/KC area state champions but 10 of the 27 Non Big Cities schools champions was Webb City.

Class 5 would be top 12 STL/KC Schools, Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Jeff City, Joplin, St Joseph, and Springfield Area Schools.

Class 4. 8 or 12 Stl/KC schools smaller big cities schools and next bigger schools.
That’s not a terrible idea, either. I don’t think my idea is the only way to do it. I just like to get the conversation started. Brainstorming creative ideas is so fun!

Easy there, Nike. You're talking to THE Joe Kane. In addition to being a drunk, he's one of the most wreckless guys I know! Joe once LAID down in the middle of a busy highway!! Then he got his friends to join him!

He ain't passing up no girl that is just wearing whipped cream.

I see a bunch of 29 man rosters in this future.

I see a bunch of 29 man rosters in this future.
It's Already Happening or close to Happening. In the past 2 or 3 years i have watch 3 teams with low roster numbers. Fulton 511 9-11 enrollment with 32 players, Warrenton 714 9-11 enrollment 36 players and Ft Zumwalt East 926 enrollment had 32 players.

It's Already Happening or close to Happening. In the past 2 or 3 years i have watch 3 teams with low roster numbers. Fulton 511 9-11 enrollment with 32 players, Warrenton 714 9-11 enrollment 36 players and Ft Zumwalt East 926 enrollment had 32 players.
If Im class 3 and want to move down i figure out how to run some off.

Or dont put the JV on the varsity roster.

i would like to see more co-ops happen than teams that can't field teams like clinton and Pleasant Hope did last year
If you're coop-ing at the class 3 level you have bigger problems than that will fix.

Pretty sure clinton 'opted out' to save face and someone didn't want a bad record on the resume.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT