ADVERTISEMENT

Why Smithville beat Kearney

Oklah0maDrill

Sep 6, 2022
I have been reading all the hype leading up to this game, and I have stayed quiet so far. Now that the final result is in, lets review some of the things discussed.

Point #1: "Minnick (Kearney) is a better coach than Ambroson (Smithville)"

Both Smithville and Kearney have solid coaches that obviously know the game. It is evident by the way their kids play with passion. However, last time I checked, coach Ambroson is the only coach with a state championship between the two and has been to three semi-final games. Those have all come in the last 5 years. How in the world could you come up with a silly statement like that?? Both teams had all year long to game plan for the District championship, because everyone knew we would see the rematch. Well, the results are in and Smithville made the adjustments needed to put the game in auto-clock to finish the game. Auto-clock!! Also, remember that it take an entire coaching staff to have a great program. Kearney has a great group of coaches and will continue to be relevant in class 4 going forward, but Smithville has the best staff in class 4 without a doubt. Examples would include half-time adjustments from last years Lincoln Prep game, 20 point comeback over MICDS, and blowout of Hannibal in the state title game last year when nobody could figure out how to stop Aneyas Williams except for Smithville. Of course you also have the adjustments made to coming into last nights game.

Point #2: "Kearney is just too talented"

Kearney has lots of talent, there is no doubt about that. However, lets take a look at the current junior and senior class of Smithville. If you did your research, these group of kids have dominated the KC area football scene for the 8 last years. Teams with Briggs Bartosh, Sam Van Dyne, Caden Green, and Chandavian Bradley, were always on the losing end of those games. The Smithville upperclassmen regardless of classification have beat the best of the best. To say that another team is just that much more talented is an uneducated statement. The core guys on that team like Strickland, Hedgecorth, Donnell, Boyd and many more are going to find a way to will their team to victory. Yes, Kearney may have a track state championship, but when everyone puts on the pads, Smithville somehow beats everyone to the spot. They don't care about the stats, they just care about winning!!

Unmentioned point: "Heart"

This team's heart can never be underestimated. When the Friday Night lights come on, they find another gear and make things happen. They don't have the 6'5" QB, 6;5" receiver or the 225lb fullback, but as a group they dominate the competition. There is also no quit and they fight until the last second. Watch highlight of the MICDS game, or watch highlights of the first Kearney vs Smithville game. Even though Smithville missed the two point conversion to go ahead, they still found a way to get the onside kick and had a chance to win with a FG at the end.

I appreciated TopHat2021 and his analysis. I feel like you had a balanced view of both teams. Joey, I appreciate your passion for your team, but no more excuses. Admit what is obvious and then you can focus on next year.

Kearney had a great season, and nobody expected them to go into the playoff undefeated. The Kearney players and community should be proud of that. Someday, Kearney may take that District title torch from them down the road. It just wasn't going to be this year.

I have been reading all the hype leading up to this game, and I have stayed quiet so far. Now that the final result is in, lets review some of the things discussed.

Both Smithville and Kearney have solid coaches that obviously know the game. It is evident by the way their kids play with passion. However, last time I checked, coach Ambroson is the only coach with a state championship between the two and has been to three semi-final games. Those have all come in the last 5 years. How in the world could you come up with a silly statement like that?? Both teams had all year long to game plan for the District championship, because everyone knew we would see the rematch. Well, the results are in and Smithville made the adjustments needed to put the game in auto-clock to finish the game. Auto-clock!! Also, remember that it take an entire coaching staff to have a great program. Kearney has a great group of coaches and will continue to be relevant in class 4 going forward, but Smithville has the best staff in class 4 without a doubt. Examples would include half-time adjustments from last years Lincoln Prep game, 20 point comeback over MICDS, and blowout of Hannibal in the state title game last year when nobody could figure out how to stop Aneyas Williams except for Smithville. Of course you also have the adjustments made to coming into last nights game.

Kearney has lots of talent, there is no doubt about that. However, lets take a look at the current junior and senior class of Smithville. If you did your research, these group of kids have dominated the KC area football scene for the 8 last years. Teams with Briggs Bartosh, Sam Van Dyne, Caden Green, and Chandavian Bradley, were always on the losing end of those games. The Smithville upperclassmen regardless of classification have beat the best of the best. To say that another team is just that much more talented is an uneducated statement. The core guys on that team like Strickland, Hedgecorth, Donnell, Boyd and many more are going to find a way to will their team to victory. Yes, Kearney may have a track state championship, but when everyone puts on the pads, Smithville somehow beats everyone to the spot. They don't care about the stats, they just care about winning!!

This team's heart can never be underestimated. When the Friday Night lights come on, they find another gear and make things happen. They don't have the 6'5" QB, 6;5" receiver or the 225lb fullback, but as a group they dominate the competition. There is also no quit and they fight until the last second. Watch highlight of the MICDS game, or watch highlights of the first Kearney vs Smithville game. Even though Smithville missed the two point conversion to go ahead, they still found a way to get the onside kick and had a chance to win with a FG at the end.

I appreciated TopHat2021 and his analysis. I feel like you had a balanced view of both teams. Joey, I appreciate your passion for your team, but no more excuses. Admit what is obvious and then you can focus on next year.

Kearney had a great season, and nobody expected them to go into the playoff undefeated. The Kearney players and community should be proud of that. Someday, Kearney may take that District title torch from them down the road. It just wasn't going to be this year.
I have to give props to TopHat on this one. He said all year that Smithville was the defending champ and it ran through them and, as late as yesterday, he said his head told him SV although his heart was w/Kearney.

This was quite the statement game for the Smithville staff and players. This is the type of game that the coffee shop talks about for years haha. Very impressive stuff!

Also this post was a classic message board post lol this feller has clearly been squatting on these feelings for 10 long weeks, I love it! Great rivalry.

It's apparent the Smithville coach hasn't been made aware Carney has an all time winning record against the great webbies
*Kearney *Webb is wiping their tears over that statement with all their titles and accolades. I’m sure they are just kept awake at night over a record with the bulldogs.*

Last edited:
*Kearney *Webb is wiping their tears over that statement with all their titles and accolades. I’m sure they are just kept awake at night over a record with the bulldogs.*
Those are great memories both ways especially the close ones (2002, 2008 and the zany 2015 top the list). It would be fun to match up again some day.

Reactions: 503_Maple
I have to give props to TopHat on this one. He said all year that Smithville was the defending champ and it ran through them and, as late as yesterday, he said his head told him SV although his heart was w/Kearney.
Hey I really appreciate what you and OK drill wrote! I try to "call it as I see it". Trust me it has gotten me in plenty of local trouble but that's OK as I know how passionate especially the parents can be!

What Kearney did year ONE is absolutely amazing but look around the State. How many of the survivors were years in the making? Look no further than Liberty North. I remember many giving Jones lots of crap for going 4-6 the first two years there NOW LOOK.

The saying is as old as time itself it seems but Rome indeed was not built in one day. That being said WHAT a future awaits here in Kearney if Minnick and staff stay here long term.

Very, very interesting and well thought out! Best of luck to Smithville the rest of the way. I watched every breath taking second of that MICDS semifinal. I don't know that Dr. Fred, with his inestimable record of success, ever experienced a game quite like that. It was one of the classic playoff games of all time frankly.

Frankly moving forward you need to post more! In saying that I know what an encumbrance time can be. I sure don't get to follow things like I used to but do my best to "hang around"..............

Well, Webb City did something their old-time rivals Kearney and Camdenton couldn't do - win a Class 5 state title.

Just sayin'

Very, very interesting and well thought out! Best of luck to Smithville the rest of the way. I watched every breath taking second of that MICDS semifinal. I don't know that Dr. Fred, with his inestimable record of success, ever experienced a game quite like that. It was one of the classic playoff games of all time frankly.

Frankly moving forward you need to post more! In saying that I know what an encumbrance time can be. I sure don't get to follow things like I used to but do my best to "hang around"..............
Coach Dr Fred had the 7OT win against LSW back in 2011. That’s gotta be one of the wildest ends to a high school football game I’ve ever seen!!!

Coach Dr Fred had the 7OT win against LSW back in 2011. That’s gotta be one of the wildest ends to a high school football game I’ve ever seen!!!
WOW the greatest game of all time indeed! I was way up by the press box with Homey and several others. Wild athleticism on display the Ds both gassed out plus the most amazing play by LSW OL Evan Boehm blocking one Staley D lineman in each arm and holding both back!

WOW the greatest game of all time indeed! I was way up by the press box with Homey and several others. Wild athleticism on display the Ds both gassed out plus the most amazing play by LSW OL Evan Boehm blocking one Staley D lineman in each arm and holding both back!
2010-11 Staley vs LSW in the semis were some great games. Loads of talent, one year a defensive battle next year a track meet!

Reactions: 503_Maple

those were some great HS teams. Boehm and Luke Knott who went on to ISU I think and Morgan Steward and others on the Staley side. I think I have my year correct for those kids. Great era of HS football in KC.

Reactions: thetophat2021
those were some great HS teams. Boehm and Luke Knott who went on to ISU I think and Morgan Steward and others on the Staley side. I think I have my year correct for those kids. Great era of HS football in KC.
The man child Trent hosick playing qb

You DO those were the all stars among many other excellent players in that 2011 all timer.

Hey Fort don't DARE want to look ahead but how about the potential semifinal matchup NWMO C5 vs. Dr. Fred in the Semifinals?

It was a great game....one silly thing that still makes me smile about this game...after MICDS got ahead by multiple scores, some players were telling Smithville players, "Don't feel bad, we do this to everybody!"

• Haha
That entire post, mentioning "ALL" the points on why Smithville beat Kearney but not ONE mention of hot moms. Did the Kearney hot moms not show up? If they did show up, were they bundled up? Does this mean that SMITHVILLE actually has all the hot moms now!? Sounds like I need to make it out to MO for a Smithville vs. Kearney game now!

It was a great game....one silly thing that still makes me smile about this game...after MICDS got ahead by multiple scores, some players were telling Smithville players, "Don't feel bad, we do this to everybody!"
Never, NEVER EVER pays to get overconfident. Getting teens to mature out of that stage is definitely the hard part especially given how some in the Pro ranks don't seem to get this fundamental fact.

That entire post, mentioning "ALL" the points on why Smithville beat Kearney but not ONE mention of hot moms. Did the Kearney hot moms not show up? If they did show up, were they bundled up? Does this mean that SMITHVILLE actually has all the hot moms now!? Sounds like I need to make it out to MO for a Smithville vs. Kearney game now!
I bundled up like a Buffalo Bills home game and was shivering leaving the stadium. Not all that cold but we are just not used to it. Everyone was mega-bundled up including your moms, Bosko.

• Haha
Reactions: BoosterBosko
I don't do next year until this one is history and months beyond BUT come on down next year. This will be a whole other ballgame in 2023.

christmas-outfit-snow.gif

Nobody said Minnick was better. Nobody said Kearney had "too much talent." Just more athletic talent. Which is true. Turnovers was pointed out as a key. And guess what, it was the key.

Next year is a different story (as has been pointed out for several years now is the wave is coming), the talent will be overwhelming--and it will be 2003 part two for the K. Returning 7-8 starters are each side of the ball, and bringing up the soph class that rolled everyone as Freshmen.

For now K will have to be content to repeat as state champs in track. (almost a three-peat but for Webb City edging them out in 2021.)

Last edited:
Nobody said Minnick was better. Nobody said Kearney had "too much talent." Just more athletic talent. Which is true. Turnovers was pointed out as a key. And guess what, it was the key.

Next year is a different story (as has been pointed out for several years now is the wave is coming), the talent will be overwhelming--and it will be 2003 part deux for the K. Returning 7-8 starters are each side of the ball, and brining up the soph class that rolled everyone as Freshmen.

For now K will have to be content to repeat as state champs in track. (almost a three-peat but for Webb City edging them out in 2021.)
Watching this in person K appeared to have a bit of the "deer in the headlights" look to them when Smithville ramped up the tempo after that very nice Grace to Rooney TD that caught the Warriors 100 percent off guard. Then came the directional kick they lost and on the snowball rolled from there.................again great lessons for a young team that has not been to the big time like Smithville has of late.

Watching this in person K appeared to have a bit of the "deer in the headlights" look to them when Smithville ramped up the tempo after that very nice Grace to Rooney TD that caught the Warriors 100 percent off guard. Then came the directional kick they lost and on the snowball rolled from there.................again great lessons for a young team that has not been to the big time like Smithville has of late.

K had the odd 1Q against Tonka. The off first 3Q vs. Belton, and a lackadaisical game versus ES. They weren't ready for this stage. The experience should be good for them going into next season, since almost everyone is back for more next year.

What's obvious? A mostly underclass K team lost to a Senior laden Smithville team they beat earlier in the season. I don't know why the focus on me. I never said K would win or Smithville would win before this game. I merely pointed out that SV and K had seen speed and talent on par with Center. A point to which you agreed. As far as talent--I see two players with seven or more D1 offers and others that are going to play college ball. I don't see that from Smithville. Was I bringing down Smithville by mentioning that? Yes, these same kids from K (with multi-all state performances) will be for a repeat of a state championship in track and field. They are good athletes--some national class. ANd good enough to beat the incredible Smithville team this year. Yes, next year will be a fun time. My torch is lit.

Last edited:
What's obvious? A mostly underclass K team lost to a Senior laden Smithville team they beat earlier in the season. I don't know why the focus on me. I never said K would win or Smithville would win before this game. I merely pointed out that SV and K had seen speed and talent on par with Center. A point to which you agreed. As far as talent--I see two players with seven or more D1 offers and others that are going to play college ball. I don't see that from Smithville. Was a bringing down Smithville by mentioning that? Yes, these same kids will be for a repeat of a state championship in track and field. They are good athletes. Good enough to beat the incredible Smithville team this year. Yes, next year will be a fun time. My torch is lit.
Not sure how many Smithville folks you know but I do several and ALL of them who follow the FB team had an edge to them not too unlike how OK drill posted here and Ambroson read in the Courier after Week 3. That the result was this wide was a huge surprise. That SVille won was not. I have stated, may as well here I guess, privately that there seems to be something extra between Smithville and Kearney which explains why they seem to keep their foot on the gas no matter the score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT