ADVERTISEMENT

Why Smithville beat Kearney

Not sure how many Smithville folks you know but I do several and ALL of them who follow the FB team had an edge to them not too unlike how OK drill posted here and Ambroson read in the Courier after Week 3. That the result was this wide was a huge surprise. That SVille won was not. I have stated, may as well here I guess, privately that there seems to be something extra between Smithville and Kearney which explains why they seem to keep their foot on the gas no matter the score.

Touchy...they will be in hiding next year. (Mark this for re-post for next year after K rolls Smithville at their home)) LOL I hope Minnick keeps the starters in through the end of the game. I mean, if they are going to be dicks about it. It must be the little guy inferiority complex? School has only won like 5 state championships in anything...gimme a break.
The best FB team they had last year would rate as about the 5th or 6th best team in K football since 2002. And this guy is on here talking this sh*t. LOL
Hey Oklahoma Drill, when you win 4 state championships...let me know. Assclown

Last edited:
Touchy...they will be in hiding next year. (Mark this for re-post for next year after K rolls Smithville at their home)) LOL I hope Minnick keeps the starters in through the end of the game. I mean, if they are going to be dicks about it. It must be the little guy inferiority complex? School has only won like 5 state championships in anything...gimme a break.
The best FB team they had last year would rate as about the 5th or 6th best team in K football since 2002. And this guy is on here talking this sh*t. LOL
Hey Oklahoma Drill, when you win 4 state championships...let me know. Assclown
Rut roh.....................I'm out.

Joey,
I am disappointed in you. Just because Kearney lost doesn't mean you have to start calling people names. Is that where you go when your predictions are wrong? Smithville didn't run up the score on anyone, just trying to win the game. All year long you have stated why Kearney would win, and now its always "next year". We can talk about next year when that time comes. What is the point of this discussion board if you just resort to 3rd grade tactics of name calling. Time to grow up.

Joey Northlander-
Kearney High School and Smithville High School are both proud members of the Missouri State High School Activities Association. And they would like to remind you that while the game is competitive, it is also an educational experience for all players and students. They ask that you please continue to exhibit sportsmanship throughout the contests, and refrain from negative cheers, chants, or behavior.
And quit boiling those ribs.

Last edited:
Joey Northlander-
Kearney High School and Smithville High School are both proud members of the Missouri State High School Activities Association. And they would like to remind you that while the game is competitive, it is also an educational experience for all players and students. They ask that you please continue to exhibit sportsmanship throughout the contests, and refrain from negative cheers, chants, or behavior.
OMG this may be the post of the season!

Joey Northlander-
I just hope that both teams have fun. But who in KC boils ribs!?!?

• Wow
Reactions: BoosterBosko
Joey Northlander-
I just hope that both teams have fun. But who in KC boils ribs!?!?
I thought KC was known for its BBQ!? If you all are BOILING ribs, I may NEVER make my way out there! Thats like someone MICROWAVING their ribeye meat for a cheesestake!!!

Reactions: shoot90draw
I thought KC was known for its BBQ!? If you all are BOILING ribs, I may NEVER make my way out there! Thats like someone MICROWAVING their ribeye meat for a cheesestake!!!
Come on over to Slaps down by where I work they will serve you ribs that will blow you away, Bosko! If you let me know when you are coming I will warn them to stock up...........

Very, very interesting and well thought out! Best of luck to Smithville the rest of the way. I watched every breath taking second of that MICDS semifinal. I don't know that Dr. Fred, with his inestimable record of success, ever experienced a game quite like that. It was one of the classic playoff games of all time frankly.

Frankly moving forward you need to post more! In saying that I know what an encumbrance time can be. I sure don't get to follow things like I used to but do my best to "hang around"..............
Fred was in a 76-70 classic battle with LSW to advance in class 5 playoffs once

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
I have been reading all the hype leading up to this game, and I have stayed quiet so far. Now that the final result is in, lets review some of the things discussed.

Point #1: "Minnick (Kearney) is a better coach than Ambroson (Smithville)"

Both Smithville and Kearney have solid coaches that obviously know the game. It is evident by the way their kids play with passion. However, last time I checked, coach Ambroson is the only coach with a state championship between the two and has been to three semi-final games. Those have all come in the last 5 years. How in the world could you come up with a silly statement like that?? Both teams had all year long to game plan for the District championship, because everyone knew we would see the rematch. Well, the results are in and Smithville made the adjustments needed to put the game in auto-clock to finish the game. Auto-clock!! Also, remember that it take an entire coaching staff to have a great program. Kearney has a great group of coaches and will continue to be relevant in class 4 going forward, but Smithville has the best staff in class 4 without a doubt. Examples would include half-time adjustments from last years Lincoln Prep game, 20 point comeback over MICDS, and blowout of Hannibal in the state title game last year when nobody could figure out how to stop Aneyas Williams except for Smithville. Of course you also have the adjustments made to coming into last nights game.

Point #2: "Kearney is just too talented"

Kearney has lots of talent, there is no doubt about that. However, lets take a look at the current junior and senior class of Smithville. If you did your research, these group of kids have dominated the KC area football scene for the 8 last years. Teams with Briggs Bartosh, Sam Van Dyne, Caden Green, and Chandavian Bradley, were always on the losing end of those games. The Smithville upperclassmen regardless of classification have beat the best of the best. To say that another team is just that much more talented is an uneducated statement. The core guys on that team like Strickland, Hedgecorth, Donnell, Boyd and many more are going to find a way to will their team to victory. Yes, Kearney may have a track state championship, but when everyone puts on the pads, Smithville somehow beats everyone to the spot. They don't care about the stats, they just care about winning!!

Unmentioned point: "Heart"

This team's heart can never be underestimated. When the Friday Night lights come on, they find another gear and make things happen. They don't have the 6'5" QB, 6;5" receiver or the 225lb fullback, but as a group they dominate the competition. There is also no quit and they fight until the last second. Watch highlight of the MICDS game, or watch highlights of the first Kearney vs Smithville game. Even though Smithville missed the two point conversion to go ahead, they still found a way to get the onside kick and had a chance to win with a FG at the end.

I appreciated TopHat2021 and his analysis. I feel like you had a balanced view of both teams. Joey, I appreciate your passion for your team, but no more excuses. Admit what is obvious and then you can focus on next year.

Kearney had a great season, and nobody expected them to go into the playoff undefeated. The Kearney players and community should be proud of that. Someday, Kearney may take that District title torch from them down the road. It just wasn't going to be this year.
After reading the full Courier recap article have to ask: are you on Ambroson's staff? Just looking at this again vs. that article I like context. All good if ya choose not to tell...........

Last edited:
After reading the full Courier recap article have to ask: are you on Ambroson's staff? Just looking at this again vs. that article I like context. All good if ya choose not to tell and certainly would never divulge anything on this end.
hammer.gif

• Haha
Reactions: thetophat2021
After reading the full Courier recap article have to ask: are you on Ambroson's staff? Just looking at this again vs. that article I like context. All good if ya choose not to tell...........
Just a community member that has seen many years of mediocre football in Smithville until coach Ambroson joined the staff back in 2015. He has almost doubled the kids that come out for football since he arrived. Do they play football because they win, or because he makes it fun? Either way, in the past we would continually get beat by Kearney or Platte County to end our season. Things have certainly changed in the last 5 years. Hopefully that momentum continues.

Just a community member that has seen many years of mediocre football in Smithville until coach Ambroson joined the staff back in 2015. He has almost doubled the kids that come out for football since he arrived. Do they play football because they win, or because he makes it fun? Either way, in the past we would continually get beat by Kearney or Platte County to end our season. Things have certainly changed in the last 5 years. Hopefully that momentum continues.
Cool! You mentioned "heart" something Ambroson was all over before the article officially came out so was wondering. Trust me anyone could waterboard me I'd never divulge the IDs of any poster without express permission. I know several especially the old timers like myself here. Keep the program moving as it is Smithville, even in the down years, will be in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT