ADVERTISEMENT

Kearney at Smithville (C4 D8 championship)

thetophat2021

Jun 14, 2021
Kearney, MO
Wash, rinse, repeat here we go again: This is the SIXTH straight year these two have played twice but just the second since the new Sheriff arrived in KTown. Last year was close for about one half of the first quarter then Smithville completely dominated from then on, something I don't nearly expect this go around.

FACTORS FAVORING SMITHVILLE:

1) Since the Warriors joined the Suburban Blue in 2018 they have been to FOUR final fours and won ONE championship two years ago PLUS have not been eliminated by a public school any of those runs. In other words this is now one of Missouri's ELITE HSFB programs and that will be extremely difficult for Kearney to overcome Friday.

2) Home field advantage. As most if not all of you know I travel all around looking for the best games of each week. Among my list of most difficult environments for a visitor to come in and win THIS ONE ranks at or very near the top in the entire NWMO region. Again Smithville's last loss at home to a public school was their nemesis (a subject for another time) Platte County when they collapsed in the second half October 2018 after being in full control the first one. Granted they did not play some years but Kearney has not been close to beating Smithville any visit since 2011.

3) HC Ambroson probably has assembled the best staff in the KC Metro (a major, major mouthful) and their experience will pay off in key moments in any game.

4) The confidence factor. Smithville is 10-1 vs. Kearney since the aforementioned joining the Sub Blue. I sincerely doubt anyone over that way believes that trend will change any time soon.

FACTORS FAVORING KEARNEY:

1) Senior leadership. Kearney has lots and lots of it and last year's experience should have left a very bitter taste in their mouths. Don't be deceived by the Week 3 result it was tainted by about as significant a rash of key injuries as you will see in this sport. Pay particular attention to RB #6 Emmons who is the definition of a gamer/workhorse and could carry this team onward and upward Friday.

2) The blowout rematch factor. I warn, warn and warn about this every season and many times it verifies. Even the elite teams tend to drop just a smidge when rematching a team they either blew away the season prior or earlier in the same one. Ambroson won't be able to sell the "us vs. the World underdog" narrative this time around.

3) All around athleticism. This program is definitely on the upswing and not just at the aforementioned Senior level. The RB corps is deep and talented so are the D Linemen and LBs and everyone knows about their prowess in other sports (please no Joey comments, thanks!).

So given all those items what are the concerns I've seen this year you ask? Here are a couple key ones:

Smithville is not playing nearly as well down the stretch in "overmatch" games as the past three years. I am particularly concerned about their ability to stop the run and overall defensive speed. This showed itself vs. Grandview in particular, a result I still have trouble wrapping my head around.

Kearney has shown tendencies to start slow even against overmatched teams (giving up big plays and first scores vs. Ruskin, Grandview and Ray South all games I attended in person) plus seems to have discipline/pen issues time and again. Much as everyone can be correct saying those will go away when the chips are all down I tend to believe your bad habits magnify in big games instead.

OVERALL SYNOPSIS: My expectations going into this game are polar opposite of last year when I all but knew Kearney had awakened the green monster in the regular season and they would have to match an extreme energy level to have a chance. This Friday I expect these two to face off more at eye level in a back and forth game that could actually resemble, score wise, the Smithville-Platte County shootout from which the Warriors were smarting which also contributed to the Week 3 blowout. As posted earlier my heart says Kearney breaks through but my head says Smithvillle guts this one out and moves on let's say 37-34.

Whatever happens GOOD LUCK to both fine teams, staffs and communities! It should be lots and lots of fun on a perfect evening for HSFB!

Last edited:
Top, pretty good response.

I see this game going one of two ways in favor of Smithville only. This game plays out like last years 2023 District 8 championship game OR like 2019 with surprise offensive output that both defenses couldn't find a stop. I think the 2019 game was like 62-40. I doubt the later of those options happens under SVille DC or KMOs.

I also know the "us vs the world" mentality is no longer there. It is now "the title runs through Smithville and the Green Machine." Smithville owns the district for the last 3 seasons (4 out of last 5). Pressure is on but when has it not been in the last 5 seasons for Smithville?

Warriors win 35-21.

Top, pretty good response.

I see this game going one of two ways in favor of Smithville only. This game plays out like last years 2023 District 8 championship game OR like 2019 with surprise offensive output that both defenses couldn't find a stop. I think the 2019 game was like 62-40. I doubt the later of those options happens under SVille DC or KMOs.

I also know the "us vs the world" mentality is no longer there. It is now "the title runs through Smithville and the Green Machine." Smithville owns the district for the last 3 seasons (4 out of last 5). Pressure is on but when has it not been in the last 5 seasons for Smithville?

Warriors win 35-21.
I was at that one it was 60-45 Smithville. You obviously know the Warriors program better than me but I did get indications of that "us vs. the World" attitude last year during, of all things, my HS class reunion where a number of former classmates now reside in and raise kids in Smithville.

Don't underestimate the talent Kearney brings to this one. We have all seen occasions where that trumps tradition etc. in these big games. Smithville did not see QB Rooney and there was nobody to throw to WR Lithacum back in week 3. Once again, though, how clean can Kearney play. The last two Smithville games they've turned the ball over WAAAAAAAAAY too much.

As for Kearney being "deer in the headlights" like last year I seriously doubt it. My big advice to them, though, is match Smithville's energy coming out of the gate. When was the last time you all trailed at half at home?????? Had to have been many years ago.

Reactions: KevAn92
Smithville wins 34-21 Smithville brings their A game and Kearney still has penalty issues which you just cant recover from against good teams.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Smithville wins 34-21 Smithville brings their A game and Kearney still has penalty issues which you just cant recover from against good teams.
I continue to say (was screaming it after the Week 3 game) to beat a team like Smithville the KDogs need to keep it simple i.e. just line up, play disciplined and win at the line of scrimmage no need for "trickeration" etc. We shall see............

Reactions: KevAn92
I continue to say (was screaming it after the Week 3 game) to beat a team like Smithville the KDogs need to keep it simple i.e. just line up, play disciplined and win at the line of scrimmage no need for "trickeration" etc. We shall see............
I've seen both teams, and I'm not sure there's any question which one overall has more talented individual players. There also isn't any question which one seemed more disciplined with regard to their play on the field. Discipline, as we know, often makes up for a lack of talent, but if this were Vegas, I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.

I was at that one it was 60-45 Smithville. You obviously know the Warriors program better than me but I did get indications of that "us vs. the World" attitude last year during, of all things, my HS class reunion where a number of former classmates now reside in and raise kids in Smithville.

Don't underestimate the talent Kearney brings to this one. We have all seen occasions where that trumps tradition etc. in these big games. Smithville did not see QB Rooney and there was nobody to throw to WR Lithacum back in week 3. Once again, though, how clean can Kearney play. The last two Smithville games they've turned the ball over WAAAAAAAAAY too much.

As for Kearney being "deer in the headlights" like last year I seriously doubt it. My big advice to them, though, is match Smithville's energy coming out of the gate. When was the last time you all trailed at half at home?????? Had to have been many years ago.
It should be a good game, I hope for the sake of both teams they can all come out healthy and still friendly. SVille last trailed at home against a juggernaut Helias (which no team but Sville contained). Which was a heart breaker of an ending.

You are right Sville will and should get KMOs best shot. The number 1 seed deserves everyones best.

I've seen both teams, and I'm not sure there's any question which one overall has more talented individual players. There also isn't any question which one seemed more disciplined with regard to their play on the field. Discipline, as we know, often makes up for a lack of talent, but if this were Vegas, I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.
Yeah way too many variables. Never know when, as stated before, particularly senior talent and leadership will win over tradition. This happened to Webb City in 2018 hosting Ladue Horton Watkins.

It should be a good game, I hope for the sake of both teams they can all come out healthy and still friendly. SVille last trailed at home against a juggernaut Helias (which no team but Sville contained). Which was a heart breaker of an ending.

You are right Sville will and should get KMOs best shot. The number 1 seed deserves everyones best.
That Helias Catholic game, heartbreaking as it was for you all, was the first sign great things were to come now look!

Big thing for Kearney is to not give Smithville 100 plus yards in penalties. As you know, you just can't keep shooting yourself in the foot over and over because sooner or later it will comes back to bite you. You just can't get away with that against the better teams. The cleaner the game the more in favor for Kearney. If not, it could be a toss of the dice. Should be a fun game.

Big thing for Kearney is to not give Smithville 100 plus yards in penalties. As you know, you just can't keep shooting yourself in the foot over and over because sooner or later it will comes back to bite you. You just can't get away with that against the better teams. The cleaner the game the more in favor for Kearney. If not, it could be a toss of the dice. Should be a fun game.
This is why I blew a gasket when reading the Savannah score was deceptive because of 180 plus yards of Kearney pens................

• Haha
Reactions: KevAn92 and HHSX2
This is why I blew a gasket when reading the Savannah score was deceptive because of 180 plus yards of Kearney pens................
I was the same way this with the Helias vs Washington game. Helias kicked themselves in the butt with penalties.

It is hard for me to get a good gauge on how this one will pan out. I could see it being similar to earlier in the year, with Kearney struggling to get out of their own way. It could also be a shootout coming down to how the ball bounces. Kearney could also have a very dominant showing, based on the end of their regular season. The Savannah game does leave me wondering how disciplined the Dogs can play. If Smithville wins it is because they were efficient on offense and they mitigated the force that is Emmons.

Either way I am betting that this one is an instant classic! Today cannot go by fast enough!

It is hard for me to get a good gauge on how this one will pan out. I could see it being similar to earlier in the year, with Kearney struggling to get out of their own way. It could also be a shootout coming down to how the ball bounces. Kearney could also have a very dominant showing, based on the end of their regular season. The Savannah game does leave me wondering how disciplined the Dogs can play. If Smithville wins it is because they were efficient on offense and they mitigated the force that is Emmons.

Either way I am betting that this one is an instant classic! Today cannot go by fast enough!
Taking off at 11:30 AM tomorrow. Promise I won't go over to the Smithville Elk's Lodge and cause trouble...............

Bosko was willing to make a trip but you clarified the TT bar name....
The ole american legion hall is where you'll wanna go, or the TT bar in downtown if you're feeling frisky (that's the name, not a reference to a gentlemen's club to clarify for our resident booster club president)
HEY YO!! NOW you two are speaking my language. Great gentlemen's clubs and fun dive bars! I'll go anywhere for a cold beer and a nice set!

Whoa. Has MoSports matured!? Look at this. An entire thread about Kearney and not a single mention of hot Kearney moms! Way to go us! Oh...oops...
aroused international man of mystery GIF

Bosko's hot moms..............

• Love
Reactions: BoosterBosko
Wash, rinse, repeat here we go again: This is the SIXTH straight year these two have played twice but just the second since the new Sheriff arrived in KTown. Last year was close for about one half of the first quarter then Smithville completely dominated from then on, something I don't nearly expect this go around.

FACTORS FAVORING SMITHVILLE:

1) Since the Warriors joined the Suburban Blue in 2018 they have been to FOUR final fours and won ONE championship two years ago PLUS have not been eliminated by a public school any of those runs. In other words this is now one of Missouri's ELITE HSFB programs and that will be extremely difficult for Kearney to overcome Friday.

2) Home field advantage. As most if not all of you know I travel all around looking for the best games of each week. Among my list of most difficult environments for a visitor to come in and win THIS ONE ranks at or very near the top in the entire NWMO region. Again Smithville's last loss at home to a public school was their nemesis (a subject for another time) Platte County when they collapsed in the second half October 2018 after being in full control the first one. Granted they did not play some years but Kearney has not been close to beating Smithville any visit since 2011.

3) HC Ambroson probably has assembled the best staff in the KC Metro (a major, major mouthful) and their experience will pay off in key moments in any game.

4) The confidence factor. Smithville is 10-1 vs. Kearney since the aforementioned joining the Sub Blue. I sincerely doubt anyone over that way believes that trend will change any time soon.

FACTORS FAVORING KEARNEY:

1) Senior leadership. Kearney has lots and lots of it and last year's experience should have left a very bitter taste in their mouths. Don't be deceived by the Week 3 result it was tainted by about as significant a rash of key injuries as you will see in this sport. Pay particular attention to RB #6 Emmons who is the definition of a gamer/workhorse and could carry this team onward and upward Friday.

2) The blowout rematch factor. I warn, warn and warn about this every season and many times it verifies. Even the elite teams tend to drop just a smidge when rematching a team they either blew away the season prior or earlier in the same one. Ambroson won't be able to sell the "us vs. the World underdog" narrative this time around.

3) All around athleticism. This program is definitely on the upswing and not just at the aforementioned Senior level. The RB corps is deep and talented so are the D Linemen and LBs and everyone knows about their prowess in other sports (please no Joey comments, thanks!).

So given all those items what are the concerns I've seen this year you ask? Here are a couple key ones:

Smithville is not playing nearly as well down the stretch in "overmatch" games as the past three years. I am particularly concerned about their ability to stop the run and overall defensive speed. This showed itself vs. Grandview in particular, a result I still have trouble wrapping my head around.

Kearney has shown tendencies to start slow even against overmatched teams (giving up big plays and first scores vs. Ruskin, Grandview and Ray South all games I attended in person) plus seems to have discipline/pen issues time and again. Much as everyone can be correct saying those will go away when the chips are all down I tend to believe your bad habits magnify in big games instead.

OVERALL SYNOPSIS: My expectations going into this game are polar opposite of last year when I all but knew Kearney had awakened the green monster in the regular season and they would have to match an extreme energy level to have a chance. This Friday I expect these two to face off more at eye level in a back and forth game that could actually resemble, score wise, the Smithville-Platte County shootout from which the Warriors were smarting which also contributed to the Week 3 blowout. As posted earlier my heart says Kearney breaks through but my head says Smithvillle guts this one out and moves on let's say 37-34.

Whatever happens GOOD LUCK to both fine teams, staffs and communities! It should be lots and lots of fun on a perfect evening for HSFB!
WOW what a physical bloodbath that was! Kearney won the turnover battle and the huge key was their bend but don't break D really cranking it up in the red zone.

The really scary part for upcoming opponent(s) is they won in pretty dominant fashion without key contributions from #1 and #6 whom Smithville keyed on and neutralized very well.

Had the Warriors been able to play clean and score when they had point blank opportunities this may well have verified as a shootout but KUDOS to Kearney for an outstanding game plan and avoiding falling behind at half. Smithville had not trailed at half at home in EIGHT years, folks.

The track speed I know everyone teases Joey about sure verified tonight, too. As pointed out sometimes a very talented Senior class will take over games like this it sure happened tonight!

I was very critical of Kearney back in Week 3 because of those onside kicks then Smithville goes right out and does this when not necessary tonight!

Rare occasion I say Ambroson got outcoached but Minnick has now drawn even with him and had an offensive game plan that was genius level tonight.
NOW on to the next challenge Saturday 1 PM at home where Logan and Co get a shot at awarding him his first ever State playoff victory.

BIG shout out to the Kearney community for showing up en masse and being extremely vocal tonight! It certainly appears the program just crossed back over Smithville and looks well set for years to come! Welcome newcomer Nevada next week!

Reactions: cardsfan200306
Congratulations and good for them. Sounds like they put one together and forced a crucial turnover in the red zone.

Even though Joey has said nothing, he can still get bent. Good luck to KMO against Nevada who has a strong O and D Line. Could be a close run heavy battle.

WOW what a physical bloodbath that was! Kearney won the turnover battle and the huge key was their bend but don't break D really cranking it up in the red zone.

The really scary part for upcoming opponent(s) is they won in pretty dominant fashion without key contributions from #1 and #6 whom Smithville keyed on and neutralized very well.

Had the Warriors been able to play clean and score when they had point blank opportunities this may well have verified as a shootout but KUDOS to Kearney for an outstanding game plan and avoiding falling behind at half. Smithville had not trailed at half at home in EIGHT years, folks.

The track speed I know everyone teases Joey about sure verified tonight, too. As pointed out sometimes a very talented Senior class will take over games like this it sure happened tonight!

I was very critical of Kearney back in Week 3 because of those onside kicks then Smithville goes right out and does this when not necessary tonight!

Rare occasion I say Ambroson got outcoached but Minnick has now drawn even with him and had an offensive game plan that was genius level tonight.
NOW on to the next challenge Saturday 1 PM at home where Logan and Co get a shot at awarding him his first ever State playoff victory.

BIG shout out to the Kearney community for showing up en masse and being extremely vocal tonight! It certainly appears the program just crossed back over Smithville and looks well set for years to come! Welcome newcomer Nevada next week!
Might be as physical as I have seen KHS in years.

Congratulations and good for them. Sounds like they put one together and forced a crucial turnover in the red zone.

Even though Joey has said nothing, he can still get bent. Good luck to KMO against Nevada who has a strong O and D Line. Could be a close run heavy battle.
What I've seen of the Tigers this is the best team they maybe ever have fielded. HUGE key is for Kearney to not even dare look past them. Given what I saw last night I doubt that happens but we shall see. That is their next 2023 exam indeed...................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT