4. MICDS
5. Fort Osage

Class 6
1. CBC
2. Lee Summit North
3. DeSmet
4. Joplin
5. Liberty North
I could easily see MICDS making the semifinals at a minimum even moving up.

I think LN will be in the mix for sure and was probably better served at 3 for now. They are replacing the entire offensive line, but as some have mentioned, Jones left the cupboard full and a large number of skill positions return on offense and defense for a team that rolled through 6 in MO and fell short in the title game. I do wonder how the QB will operate under a bit more pressure similar to the championship game and may cause more pressure on that defense than last year.
I made Fort O and LN teams to watch literally the minute the final whistle blew last December BUT doesn't that LSN-CBC semi scream rematch????

Is this accurate for their JV record?
https://www.maxpreps.com/mo/smithville/smithville-warriors/football/jv/21-22/schedule/
They have to be the frontrunner in Class 4 if that is accurate. I saw them play Fort last year. Loads of athletic kids I couldn't believe weren't varsity.

And they played a number of senior kids on JV games, because the coach wanted to reward them for hard work, but did not have spots for them on the varsity super team from last year. This irritated a number of parents from the Junior and Soph class.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetophat2021
They will not be top 3 in the state. They will take a couple steps back. But there is talent there and their new coach is a good one. But lots of variables at play. That will be one of the most interesting questions as we move into the season.
I actually think their coaching staff has the potential to be improved. I think they should be right back at the top of the OC. Remains to be seen if they can keep the ball rolling after this year though.

It's interesting that St Pius is really the only private school in the KC area on the MO side of the state line that is contending with Rockhurst falling off in recent years. With the public schools the power seems to have even shifted away from the eastern metro(BS and BSS) to north and south(Ray-PEC LN and LSN in C6 and Smithville, Platte County in C5 and C4). Fort is holding out in C5 in the eastern metro and GV seems like they may become a consistently solid program.

I actually think their coaching staff has the potential to be improved. I think they should be right back at the top of the OC. Remains to be seen if they can keep the ball rolling after this year though.
No doubt. Wyatt is a really good coach. They can definitely be at the top of OC. How they adjust to completely opposite end of the spectrum cultures will determine how far they can go. The talent level takes a step back after this year as well.

Reactions: _slo_mo_
It's interesting that St Pius is really the only private school in the KC area on the MO side of the state line that is contending with Rockhurst falling off in recent years. With the public schools the power seems to have even shifted away from the eastern metro(BS and BSS) to north and south(Ray-PEC LN and LSN in C6 and Smithville, Platte County in C5 and C4). Fort is holding out in C5 in the eastern metro and GV seems like they may become a consistently solid program.

I would not sleep on Kearney, this year, and especially the next several years, with the new coach in. They looked sensational at the CMU camp, and what is coming down the pike is decade level talent. Ask Liberty North and Troy about how frustrated they got. K completely dominated Hickman(C6), Ft. Zum North(C5), Northest, Cedar Hill (C6) Raytown(C5), White Hall of Arkansas (C5A) and Shawnee Heights of Kansas (C5A).

2020 Freshmen (Now Juniors) 32-12 over Smithville. And 6 of those were garbage minutes.
2021 Freshman (Now Sophomores) 30-8 over Smithville. And those 8 were versus the 3rd string K defense.

A purple storm is gathering again.

Last edited:
I would not sleep on Kearney, this year, and especially the next several years, with the new coach in. They looked sensational at the CMU camp, and what is coming down the pike is decade level talent. Ask Liberty North and Troy about how frustrated they got. K completely dominated Hickman(C6), Ft. Zum North(C5), Northest, Cedar Hill (C6) Raytown(C5), White Hall of Arkansas (C5A) and Shawnee Heights of Kansas (C5A).

2020 Freshmen (Now Juniors) 32-12 over Smithville. And 6 of those were garbage minutes.
2021 Freshman (Now Sophomores) 30-8 over Smithville. And those 8 were versus the 3rd string K defense.

If not this year for Kearney I definitely think 2023 and 2024. Watched that incoming sophomore class in 7th grade (they had two teams) and they were very solid. Remember thinking they'd have been close to unbeatable if they combined the two teams. Do they still have that kicker? I think he is African descent. He was nailing 40-50 yarders in middle school. Was a good basketball player as well.
I think Smithville and Kearney are the frontrunners in Class 4. Kearney might lose some early with that schedule, but come playoff time it will be a huge plus.

Last edited:

Definitely not. I was just talking about recent performance. I think Kearney made about as good a hire as possible with Minnick and it sounds like he's got a pipeline of talent on the way.

They will not be top 3 in the state. They will take a couple steps back. But there is talent there and their new coach is a good one. But lots of variables at play. That will be one of the most interesting questions as we move into the season.
Unless they have some key injuries, I have them as district champs/quarter finalists at the least but I do agree that I won’t have them as a top 3 team until I get to see them play for a few weeks. I’d say probably #5 would be more accurate. I would definitely have Smithville above them at least. Defending champs until proven otherwise.

If not this year for Kearney I definitely think 2023 and 2024. Watched that incoming sophomore class in 7th grade (they had two teams) and they were very solid. Remember thinking they'd have been close to unbeatable if they combined the two teams. Do they still have that kicker? I think he is African descent. He was nailing 40-50 yarders in middle school. Was a good basketball player as well.
I think Smithville and Kearney are the frontrunners in Class 4. Kearney might lose some early with that schedule, but come playoff time it will be a huge plus.

I believe they have another kicker that is even better. Father played D1 as kicker. Had some 45+ kicks in Freshman games. That class is stacked with athletes. There a number of kids that had parents that played D1 sports. Several from that class will be starters on varsity football this year. A number of them have already left their mark in other varsity sports as freshmen. The combination of that class and the one in front of them, will be a force the next couple years.

Last edited:
I wanna hear what you KC fellers have to say about Park Hill South. I just moved to Thousand Oaks from Briarcliff this past year so I need to adjust my affiliations accordingly

I wanna hear what you KC fellers have to say about Park Hill South. I just moved to Thousand Oaks from Briarcliff this past year so I need to adjust my affiliations accordingly

They are losing a good number of solid players headed for the college ranks. At least eight that were all district.

Oak Grove will be solidly KC suburban the way that area is growing.

No doubt. Wyatt is a really good coach. They can definitely be at the top of OC. How they adjust to completely opposite end of the spectrum cultures will determine how far they can go. The talent level takes a step back after this year as well.
Anyone in the OC know what should be expect from Lebanon, Camdenton and Rolla this fall?

First year I could see K starting 0-3 then getting on a roll heading into a likely district final rematch with Smithville. This of course assumes the Purple and Gold Dogs don't move to C5. Last enrollment number I saw would call that very unlikely. Some of those Raytown offensive plays remind of the Bouchard era at Staley and I "believe" Minnick was an assistant there back in those years.

Definitely not. I was just talking about recent performance. I think Kearney made about as good a hire as possible with Minnick and it sounds like he's got a pipeline of talent on the way.
You are on it, Fort. Platte County going to two straight championship games in different classes and Smithville having one of those "teams for the ages" last season and what a program Ambroson has built. Planning plenty of staying close to home across Hwy 92 this fall!

It totally flips after Week 3. Will be interesting to see how Excelsior fares first year back in the Suburban Blue, too.

I believe they have another kicker that is even better. Father played D1 as kicker. Had some 45+ kicks in Freshman games. That class is stacked with athletes. There a number of kids that had parents that played D1 sports. Several from that class will be starters on varsity football this year. A number of them have already left their mark in other varsity sports as freshmen. The combination of that class and the one in front of them, will be a force the next couple years.
Yep already feeling a buzz in the air here. Been some time............

First year I could see K starting 0-3 then getting on a roll heading into a likely district final rematch with Smithville. This of course assumes the Purple and Gold Dogs don't move to C5. Last enrollment number I saw would call that very unlikely. Some of those Raytown offensive plays remind of the Bouchard era at Staley and I "believe" Minnick was an assistant there back in those years.

Don't sleep on this year - got two D1 recruits with multiple offers on offense. And many more surprises.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the TE in particular!

For Kearney, you want to watch the TE, weight room beast (1400 lbs combined) with multiple D1 offers. Leave him any room, and you will pay--he will either bash people or drag them. Watch out for the OT that is 6'6" 270, has offers from Valpo, Pitt St, and Yale (my alma mater.) Fast and athletic. Also the 7x all state in track, and champion in the hurdles -- safety and return man. Had a number of TD returns as a soph. I think he is a faster and every bit as good an athlete as Fenner of Fort Osage--and his track performances make that an empirical fact. Finished right by Heston Miller of WP in the 200m--and that is his third best event. The tailbacks are good: #28, violent and effective. The other tailback is a soph- his dad played for the University of Maryland and the Detroit Lions. And if that isn't enough, there is another talented tailback that is a senior, that has not played in two years due to various injuries. He was the starting tail from their freshman year--another weightroom beast that is violent and effective--and probably 19 years old now. And the previously "baseball only kid" that plays WR. Scored at least 6 TDs at UCM camp scrimmages. The 6'5" WR on the other side--has good hands. The O line moved C5 and C6 teams around without much problem at UCM. Not sure about the D-line. Some pressure. Linebackers did get some sacks at UCM against the quality teams. The TE's soph brother is about 6'2', 195, and also a weight room beast--squatted 430 as a freshman. A couple of sacks on Liberty North before the Eagles threw a frustrated tantrum, and the event had to be cancelled. Not sure where this team goes but they looked good at UCM. This senior class put up 50+ points as Freshman vs. the Freshman against PC. Both the Junior and Soph classes handled their PC counterparts as Freshmen as well, by more than a touchdown or two. Kearney is coming in with a superiority in talent for week 1 and a vastly improved coaching plan.

Last edited:
And they played a number of senior kids on JV games, because the coach wanted to reward them for hard work, but did not have spots for the

And they played a number of senior kids on JV games, because the coach wanted to reward them for hard work, but did not have spots for them on the varsity super team from last year. This irritated a number of parents from the Junior and Soph class.
There were four seniors that played on that JV team for Smithville. They rotated. Most games eveybody played at least a half. The two's/3's probably averaged MORE snaps per game on the season than any starter. They earned it. In OUR program if you are of good character, a good student, work hard, and meet expectations, YOU WILL PLAY. Have 120 kids to play on three levels. Work hard to make sure they all get game time at some level. That isn't why they were dominant. Sell it however you want. For the record, JV team was undefeated previous year when 3/4 of kids were freshmen and sophomores. Yes, 18-0 over two seasons. 20 and 21. Successful teams because of all the kids that played unselfishly, played for each other, and played how they were coached. Every year is a new year. Looking to continue building on the positives.

There were four seniors that played on that JV team for Smithville. They rotated. Most games eveybody played at least a half. The two's/3's probably averaged MORE snaps per game on the season than any starter. They earned it. In OUR program if you are of good character, a good student, work hard, and meet expectations, YOU WILL PLAY. Have 120 kids to play on three levels. Work hard to make sure they all get game time at some level. That isn't why they were dominant. Sell it however you want. For the record, JV team was undefeated previous year when 3/4 of kids were freshmen and sophomores. Yes, 18-0 over two seasons. 20 and 21. Successful teams because of all the kids that played unselfishly, played for each other, and played how they were coached. Every year is a new year. Looking to continue building on the positives.
Been a LONG time since I looked forward to a season like this...............gonna be amazing.

I wasn't trying to sell anything. Merely conveying what I heard from some parents. The fact you play good freshman on JV also bolsters the record as well--i get it.

For Kearney, you want to watch the TE, weight room beast (1400 lbs combined) with multiple D1 offers. Leave him any room, and you will pay--he will either bash people or drag them. Watch out for the OT that is 6'6" 270, has offers from Valpo, Pitt St, and Yale (my alma mater.) Fast and athletic. Also the 7x all state in track, and champion in the hurdles -- safety and return man. Had a number of TD returns as a soph. I think he is a faster and every bit as good an athlete as Fenner of Fort Osage--and his track performances make that an empirical fact. Finished right by Heston Miller of WP in the 200m--and that is his third best event. The tailbacks are good: #28, violent and effective. The other tailback is a soph- his dad played for the University of Maryland and the Detroit Lions. And if that isn't enough, there is another talented tailback that is a senior, that has not played in two years due to various injuries. He was the starting tail from their freshman year--another weightroom beast that is violent and effective--and probably 19 years old now. And the previously "baseball only kid" that plays WR. Scored at least 6 TDs at UCM camp scrimmages. The 6'5" WR on the other side--has good hands. The O line moved C5 and C6 teams around without much problem at UCM. Not sure about the D-line. Some pressure. Linebackers did get some sacks at UCM against the quality teams. The TE's soph brother is about 6'2', 195, and also a weight room beast--squatted 430 as a freshman. A couple of sacks on Liberty North before the Eagles threw a frustrated tantrum, and the event had to be cancelled. Not sure where this team goes but they looked good at UCM. This senior class put up 50+ points as Freshman vs. the Freshman against PC. Both the Junior and Soph classes handled their PC counterparts as Freshmen as well, by more than a touchdown or two. Kearney is coming in with a superiority in talent for week 1 and a vastly improved coaching plan.
Again my expectations year 1 are not that high. Will have to see how they all gel and I still kinda wonder how the D will come out. As of today my over/under win total would be 8 or 9 depending on how many teams in their district (potential first round bye) plus how they fare in the first three. All the others should be wins until the district final. I suppose we again will literally have to wait til the beginning of the season to learn the new Class and District assignments.

This year truly feels like most of the Covid stuff is behind us. Like Mr. Top I'm ready to get rocking and rolling. Hwy 92 and the northland in general is so fun come football time.

Again my expectations year 1 are not that high. Will have to see how they all gel and I still kinda wonder how the D will come out. As of today my over/under win total would be 8 or 9 depending on how many teams in their district (potential first round bye) plus how they fare in the first three. All the others should be wins until the district final. I suppose we again will literally have to wait til the beginning of the season to learn the new Class and District assignments.

Any glaring weaknesses will be exposed weeks 1 and 2 by great opponents.

This year truly feels like most of the Covid stuff is behind us. Like Mr. Top I'm ready to get rocking and rolling. Hwy 92 and the northland in general is so fun come football time.
Yes indeed! Park Hill should be improved, PH South begins the Benny era, NKC also has some nice returning talent and Pius isn't going anywhere any time soon. Staley always has the numbers, too.............

Anything is better than the horrible schemes, bad offensive plans, and wasted use of talent that was carried out last year.

QB Hedgecorth is back, too. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

QB coming back, but:

90% of their receiving production graduated in Foster, Calvert and Nitsche.
76% of their rushing production graduated (easier to replace)
They have an entirely new O line.
Defense: Lost two all-decade players in Crim and Simoncic, the Bobby Bell award winner. Also lost Talley LB and Rieckert, DB. Both all-district, etc...

Its Missouri, so Show-me. Obviously not saying they won't be good. Or that they don't have an outstanding program, which is plain to see. Coaches have their work cut out for them in getting things re-imagined.

QB coming back, but:

90% of their receiving production graduated in Foster, Calvert and Nitsche.
76% of their rushing production graduated (easier to replace)
They have an entirely new O line.
Defense: Lost two all-decade players in Crim and Simoncic, the Bobby Bell award winner. Also lost Talley LB and Rieckert, DB. Both all-district, etc...

Its Missouri, so Show-me. Obviously not saying they won't be good. Or that they don't have an outstanding program, which is plain to see. Coaches have their work cut out for them in getting things re-imagined.
All gonna matter how their JV stats match up when those kids move up agree. Do you have any intel how Excelsior may look this year?

All gonna matter how their JV stats match up when those kids move up agree. Do you have any intel how Excelsior may look this year?

When you have seniors and you have top Freshman playing on JV, that can skew the results for JV. For instance, Kearney started their JV game versus Smithville without an actual quarterback. And K doesn't move up Freshmen to JV. Perhaps an additional reason K's Frosh had a 30-0 over SV late in the 4Q.

Excelsior returns a lot of key players. They have six all-conference players coming back. Four on defense and two on Offense. A core of 7 all district players - the QB, two from the O line, a dback and two linebackers.

AND LAST year, they got about 4.7 ypc on Smithville for 220+ yards rushing. No one else came close to that. Good system. D was really not good though.

When you have seniors and you have top Freshman playing on JV, that can skew the results for JV. For instance, Kearney started their JV game versus Smithville without an actual quarterback. And K doesn't move up Freshmen to JV. Perhaps an additional reason K's Frosh had a 30-0 over SV late in the 4Q.

Excelsior returns a lot of key players. They have six all-conference players coming back. Four on defense and two on Offense. A core of 7 all district players - the QB, two from the O line, a dback and two linebackers.

AND LAST year, they got about 4.7 ypc on Smithville for 220+ yards rushing. No one else came close to that. Good system. D was really not good though.
Could/should all FOUR Hwy 92 teams rank in the MO preseason top ten? Based on your info I would think so!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT