ADVERTISEMENT

Open Boys Basketball Head Coaching Jobs

Things can change quickly. A "bad situation" can turn around the other way without too much effort.

The bad parent(s) and/or kids move on (same for the school board) etc.

Willard's facilities, history over the past 20 years, and potential talent make it a top job regardless of what's going on right now.

Boy, some people want everything to be handed to them on a silver
There has to be a reason their last 3 coaches have only stayed there 2 or 3 years.

There has to be a reason their last 3 coaches have only stayed there 2 or 3 years.

They've had seven coaches since 1995. 431-297 (.59%) overall.

Jeremy Dresslaer('18-'22)
52-56 overall
Daniel Cutbirth ('17-'18)
14-13 - Class 5 Sectionals
Lamont Frazier ('12-'17)
70-63 - Class 5 Sectionals in '17; Class 5 Quarterfinals in '14, Class 5 Sectionals in '13
Dusty Killingsworth ('09-'12)
47-34 - Class 5 Sectional in '11
Travis Evans ('06-'09)
46-38 - Class 5 Third Place in '07
Brad Barton ('04-'06)
55-4 - Class 4 2nd Place in '05 - Upset in district semis in '06 with a 26-0 record
Sean Williamson ('95-'04)
147-89 - Class 4 Quarterfinals in '04 - Class 3A Sectionals in '97

They've had more post-season success than Glendale over that time even with six losing seasons and turnover in the coaching department. Glendale has gone 476-251 (.66%) over that same span, but with only four district titles and two quarterfinal appearances.

They've had seven coaches since 1995. 431-297 (.59%) overall.

Jeremy Dresslaer('18-'22)
52-56 overall
Daniel Cutbirth ('17-'18)
14-13 - Class 5 Sectionals
Lamont Frazier ('12-'17)
70-63 - Class 5 Sectionals in '17; Class 5 Quarterfinals in '14, Class 5 Sectionals in '13
Dusty Killingsworth ('09-'12)
47-34 - Class 5 Sectional in '11
Travis Evans ('06-'09)
46-38 - Class 5 Third Place in '07
Brad Barton ('04-'06)
55-4 - Class 4 2nd Place in '05 - Upset in district semis in '06 with a 26-0 record
Sean Williamson ('95-'04)
147-89 - Class 4 Quarterfinals in '04 - Class 3A Sectionals in '97

They've had more post-season success than Glendale over that time even with six losing seasons and turnover in the coaching department. Glendale has gone 476-251 (.66%) over that same span, but with only four district titles and two quarterfinal appearances.
You missed my point. The problem over there isn't the coaching. It is the toxic environment. I wish a lot of luck to whoever they convince to take that job. 4 coaches in 13 years speaks volumes.

You missed my point. The problem over there isn't the coaching. It is the toxic environment. I wish a lot of luck to whoever they convince to take that job. 4 coaches in 13 years speaks volumes.

No, I understood your point very clearly. Just trying to put that program in context.

No, I understood your point very clearly. Just trying to put that program in context.
I read just the other day that Toby Heeb who left the NMCC girls job is going to be the boys coach at Delta, joining his brother David who is the girl's coach there.

Curious what your opinion is on their context. Rank that job amongst the COC "East" schools and SPS schools.

Branson, Nixa, Ozark, Republic, Willard, Poo, Glendale, Parkview, Hillcrest, Central

Just for fun and curiosity.

Reactions: JDresslaer4
I'll put in my wooden nickel's worth here...

Poo/Nixa

Ozark/Republic

Parkview

Willard/Glendale/Branson

Central/Hillcrest

Not a huge difference between Parkview, Willard/Glendale/Branson, Central/Hillcrest. Their talent level runs in cycles and they are basically interchangeable depending on that talent level at a given time. The first four teams listed have talent every single year, seems like

Reactions: Eagles_Ball
I'll put in my wooden nickel's worth here...

Poo/Nixa

Ozark/Republic

Parkview

Willard/Glendale/Branson

Central/Hillcrest

Not a huge difference between Parkview, Willard/Glendale/Branson, Central/Hillcrest. Their talent level runs in cycles and they are basically interchangeable depending on that talent level at a given time. The first four teams listed have talent every single year, seems like
Hard to argue here. Only thing I might do different is slide Willard up to Parkview's spot and drop Parkview down. I might even put Branson up with Willard too. I'm just not sure I'd want any part of SPS outside of Poo, but that's just a personal preference. Only reason I'd move Branson up is it seems like a good place and they pay very well. Talent pool is normally nothing special.

Hard to argue here. Only thing I might do different is slide Willard up to Parkview's spot and drop Parkview down. I might even put Branson up with Willard too. I'm just not sure I'd want any part of SPS outside of Poo, but that's just a personal preference. Only reason I'd move Branson up is it seems like a good place and they pay very well. Talent pool is normally nothing special.
I mostly agree too. I think that middle group of Parkview/Willard/Branson/Glendale ends up coming down to personal preference. All have things better than others and worse than the others and are definitely a tier below Ozark/Repmo at this point.

I mostly agree too. I think that middle group of Parkview/Willard/Branson/Glendale ends up coming down to personal preference. All have things better than others and worse than the others and are definitely a tier below Ozark/Repmo at this point.
I was looking at it just from a basketball standpoint. If we're factoring in other things like pay, quality of the schools, location, etc then I agree that Branson and Willard move up and Parkview moves down to the Glendale tier. And I get that coaches usually look at those things too aside from just the basketball aspect of it.

It's hard for me to rank Glendale below Parkview, Willard, and Branson given our advantage over them in the all time series (we're 83-60 Vs. Parkview, 17-4 Vs. Branson, and 9-2 vs. WIllard), but right now at this very moment in time, I'd guess Glendale would be below or tied with some of those programs. However, I wouldn't have said that in 2018, so things can always go back to where they were. Glendale will be WAY DOWN (as bad as we've ever been) the next two years, but I've heard good things about the players at Pershing and Hickory Hills, IF we can keep them at Glendale and in the program.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but Jackson HS has posted head and assistant boys basketball openings. Did Coach Scott retire? Thoughts on who will take over?

I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but Jackson HS has posted head and assistant boys basketball openings. Did Coach Scott retire? Thoughts on who will take over?
Flown under the radar for sure. I understand he's not retiring, whatever that means.

JJ took the Willard boys job

Jack Simpson to Parkview.
These seem to make sense. Adamson has some rapport with community and parents already. Simpson will have a really nice young group to work with at Parkview too. Good hires for both, IMHO.

On the face of it, I’m a little surprised at the Simpson move but like was said Parkview has a better future than Catholic does

Four coaches in 13 years?? Man, let me tell you that ain’t bad at all.

Could have four coaches in five years.

Four coaches in 13 years?? Man, let me tell you that ain’t bad at all.

Could have four coaches in five years.
Just not a good sign, when good coaches can't wait to get away from a school that size. Appears as if the inmates are running the asylum.

Just not a good sign, when good coaches can't wait to get away from a school that size. Appears as if the inmates are running the asylum.
I just don’t think in 2022 four coaches in 13 years is really that far outside the norm.

Like I said, there is a pretty well known Class 6 school right down the road from Willard that has had four in the last five — assuming you count the interim that coached half a season when the head coach quit mid season.

How many coaches have schools like Stoutland and Laquey had in the last 13 years?

How many Marshfield had in the past 13 years?

My guess is, if you were to look at every boys and girls basketball program in SWMO there are way more schools that have had at least four coaches in the last 13 years than those who have had three or fewer.:

I just don’t think in 2022 four coaches in 13 years is really that far outside the norm.

Like I said, there is a pretty well known Class 6 school right down the road from Willard that has had four in the last five — assuming you count the interim that coached half a season when the head coach quit mid season.

How many coaches have schools like Stoutland and Laquey had in the last 13 years?

How many Marshfield had in the past 13 years?

My guess is, if you were to look at every boys and girls basketball program in SWMO there are way more schools that have had at least four coaches in the last 13 years than those who have had three or fewer.:
Willard isn't like Laquey or Stoutland. I think the thing that might raise concerns or question is because it's a large school with a good to great reputation. There are many reasons why people leave too. Coaches go into admin. Leave smaller schools for bigger or better (see more pay) jobs. Leave the area completely. I almost view Willard in the same breath as Republic, Nixa, Ozark, and Branson (non-SPS, non-West COC). It's a place a lot of people would like to be. Just seems to be more turnover there than you'd see at a school like that.

Reactions: FOURPLAY
I almost view Willard in the same breath as Republic, Nixa, Ozark, and Branson (non-SPS, non-West COC). It's a place a lot of people would like to be. Just seems to be more turnover there than you'd see at a school like that.
This.

You can only compare Willard to similar schools/programs. Laquey and Stoutland and all of these other small towns without any real bball tradition aren't places that attract long-time coaching candidates. If they happen to get a pretty good up and coming coach, they move on fairly quickly up the coaching ladder.

Coaches tend to stay for a longer time at the successful bigger schools. They haven't been staying at Willard. Maybe JJ stays there a long time, he's a super good guy and great coach, seems to be respected by all.

Reactions: FOURPLAY
If those coaches had left for other coaching jobs, maybe I'd say there was a systemic problem. However, Barton, Evans, and Cutbirth left for other reasons. Only Williamson and Frazier left for other coaching jobs.

I don't think Willard is any more nor any less political than other one high school towns.

It’s been known for several months but long time Nixa assistant Brock Blansit is taking over for retiring Jay Osborne.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT