ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Volleyball got MSHSAA'ed

Would you still be upset with the player if one of their parents had cancer, the benefit was supporting that parent, and they were playing at about 30% speed with cousins, other families, and people they know from their parents work and church?
30%?? There is no way a competitive athlete, at any level, doesn't go all in once the juices start flowing. That said, this is embarrassing for MSHSAA and just a stupid "rule"

Licking plays at Stover at 7 PM tonight.

If it is the case that Licking turned in Houston to win a game they otherwise lost, then the Houston community should show up tonight and boo them off the court.

I'm betting nobody cares that much lol

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Assuming this is from a parent of a Houston player on FB.

When your child calls home sobbing so hard you fear the worst... it breaks your heart.
The three girls did indeed go to a charity event Saturday where they played in a CO-ED volleyball tournament. But this in no way was a real competition..there were no real referees or trained officials.. the nets weren't regulation. There was no roster.The score flipper sometimes gave one team some points and sometimes the other team points.. it was laughed about and no one cared.. you know why.. because it wasnt a competition.. there was no coach, no prior practices, they did not have uniforms or numbers, nobody kept track of rotations... this WAS NOT A REAL COMPETITION. It was joyful and fun and a way for them to give back.. and they have now been robbed of this on top of the title.

Yeah, I'm all for private schools cheating. Depending on the private school, those kids are either from the better families, or more athletic. They deserve to win.
That's kinda what Graphic Edge guy says too.

Higher caliber kids.

Standard issue troll who went straight to my ignore list back in August.
186x9b.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: thetophat2021
So lets say some players go to a backyard BBQ on Saturday, and there is a net up, and some kids and adults start playing. If someone starts keeping score, would this same rule apply to this situation??
I'd like to say I'm surprised, but MSHSAA comes in on brand as usual. The rule itself is dumb in the first place, and then on top of that the things that MSHSAA let constantly slide that actually effect outcomes of games compared to this instance is pathetic.

Assuming this is from a parent of a Houston player on FB.

When your child calls home sobbing so hard you fear the worst... it breaks your heart.
The three girls did indeed go to a charity event Saturday where they played in a CO-ED volleyball tournament. But this in no way was a real competition..there were no real referees or trained officials.. the nets weren't regulation. There was no roster.The score flipper sometimes gave one team some points and sometimes the other team points.. it was laughed about and no one cared.. you know why.. because it wasnt a competition.. there was no coach, no prior practices, they did not have uniforms or numbers, nobody kept track of rotations... this WAS NOT A REAL COMPETITION. It was joyful and fun and a way for them to give back.. and they have now been robbed of this on top of the title.
I would assume that people would post pictures and videos of the event to show it was just that. If it was a school function, did the coaches play?

So lets say some players go to a backyard BBQ on Saturday, and there is a net up, and some kids and adults start playing. If someone starts keeping score, would this same rule apply to this situation??
I'd like to say I'm surprised, but MSHSAA comes in on brand as usual. The rule itself is dumb in the first place, and then on top of that the things that MSHSAA let constantly slide that actually effect outcomes of games compared to this instance is pathetic.
MSHSAA may be the most 'tone deaf' organization I've seen in my life. This is just another example.

Forgive a private school that has a history of blatantly ignoring rules then turn right around and do this.

Shameful.

Who makes these decisions?
They need to at least hire some ol' boy with common sense so their PR isn't a complete and utter disaster 99.9% of the time.

If it is the case that Licking turned in Houston to win a game they otherwise lost, then the Houston community should show up tonight and boo them off the court.

Houston to Stover is quite the drive over some crappy roads. 17 up to 7 to 5 to 135. Yikes.

This is a great example of why people hate MSHSAA. They excel at doing stupid things that agitate fans like this, digital ticketing, the district game streaming money grab thing and more. But they make sure to keep their bloated roster of six figure staff taken care of.

I happen to know of a get together where many kids including some HS players from several schools in this area were at one point playing an informal "competition". No refs, no roster, no rotation, not even a correct net but they were in fact "playing" a game. Sounds like they were lucky that no one turned them into MSHSAA. Good lord.

SECTION 32023-24 MSHSAA OFFICIAL HANDBOOK Page 71

a. Same Season/Same Sport: A student shall neither practice nor compete as a member of a non-school team or as an individual participant in organized non-school competition in that same sport

Please show evidence they competed in the sport, as defined by MSHSAA: Girls Volleyball.

Yep! Didn't happen.

Reactions: 65TPT
I am in support of MSHSAA enforcing their policies, regardless of what school it is, how the school is funded, where it is located, the demographic makeup of the student body, or whether or not it is popular among the intelligentsia on internet message boards.
I thought perhaps you were just trying to rile up Northland Joe, which I always support. But I can not support your other posts. (Unless I become rich enough to send my kids to private school, wherein I will once again need to reevaluate my stance.)

giphy.gif

If Houston self-reported and was punished, it is just another reason to NEVER self-report. Those who do get punished. Those who never do will fight allegations and end up with no punishment.

Reactions: da bears 25
My take is this... Worse case, suspend the 3 players for the next game or 2. Let the rest of the team play it out. But honestly, if it was a school functioned fund raiser, just let it be. It is not like they were playing on their AAU squad. MSHSA allows for a 1 time try-out for travel teams during the season correct? What is the difference there?

My take is this... Worse case, suspend the 3 players for the next game or 2. Let the rest of the team play it out. But honestly, if it was a school functioned fund raiser, just let it be. It is not like they were playing on their AAU squad. MSHSA allows for a 1 time try-out for travel teams during the season correct? What is the difference there?

The difference is a horrendous misinterpretation of the rule.

Reactions: Missouri Kid
If Houston self-reported and was punished, it is just another reason to NEVER self-report. Those who do get punished. Those who never do will fight allegations and end up with no punishment.

Just like a cop with no reasonable articulable suspicion that something illegal is afoot, asking questions.

Your response should be: "I DON'T answer QUESTIONS."

Or as Tony Soprano would say, "I DON"T know NOTHING"

I love how MSHSAA is fighting back saying "you are going to undermine our authority"
Meanwhile as mentioned by the guy above... no one should ever self report... "prove it"

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
I love how MSHSAA is fighting back saying "you are going to undermine our authority"
Meanwhile as mentioned by the guy above... no one should ever self report... "prove it"
They get their 'authoritah' from the districts.

I posted about cleaning house in an earlier post. Sounds like they want the process expedited.

What a cluster.

Mark Linneman. In an unprecedented turns of events, shit is now rolling up hill. Also I'd like to put in my name to be the next President of MSHSAA

Help me understand what is going on here:

1. Houston beats Licking in district championship.

2. There is a charity fundraiser in Salem in which athletes from all over the region compete, including, apparently, Licking.

3. Houston admin discovers the "violation" and "self reports"

4. MSHSAA exacts retribution and, apparently without getting a complete picture of who participated at the event in Salem, declares Licking the winner of the district tournament.

Couple questions:

— Do we know who else participated at the charity event? Was there athletes from other schools in the playoffs besides Houston participating in the event?
— Did Licking have athletes participating in the event?
— Do we know if Licking made the initial complaint as others have surmized and Houston simply admitted to the allegation and met the definition "self reporting" a violation?
— What is the actual definition of same sport?

In my opinion, if you’re hell-bent on enforcing the rules for this infraction, then the first thing to do is figure out who participated in the charity event and make sure that you know who was there and apply punishment even-handedly.

If it is the case that Licking both reported the Houston violation, and committed the same offense at the same event as others have stated, then they should be banned from all postseason activities. That is way beyond unacceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT