ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Volleyball got MSHSAA'ed

bryantboy99

Sep 20, 2011
This is pretty sad on MSHSAA's part and whoever turned them in for playing in a charity volleyball tournament.

Yep!!! Just AWFUL!!!!!! Precedent has been established. Cheat and knowingly get caught with roster violations, earbuds, etc. and you are okay, there is nothing to see here. BUT play a game for a good cause and get punished. MSHSAA sucks. Also, saw a story out of Gulf Shores Alabama last night, where they are having to forfeit games due to a local business paying the rent for like four or five of their players.

Yep!!! Just AWFUL!!!!!! Precedent has been established. Cheat and knowingly get caught with roster violations, earbuds, etc. and you are okay, there is nothing to see here. BUT play a game for a good cause and get punished. MSHSAA sucks. Also, saw a story out of Gulf Shores Alabama last night, where they are having to forfeit games due to a local business paying the rent for like four or five of their players.
Houston should have been a private school. That'll teach them.

You are a bozo if you think they should have to forfeit! The stand up to cancer was Saturday, they beat Licking on Monday and THEN GET TURNED IN! If you can't beat them, let's tell on them!!
Easy there, @HAWKS4LIFE !! Now Im not disagreeing with your post. But, calling people a bozo is MY THING!!! As is nincompoop and calling @HomeyR a CLOWN! Mostly because he is THE MoSports clown! So get your own thing!

I would be upset if I was a coach and found out my players were playing in a volleyball match in the middle of districts. Why would you risk getting injured in a charity volleyball match. Does the coach not have a clue as to what's going on?

Reactions: MC_PL01
I would be upset if I was a coach and found out my players were playing in a volleyball match in the middle of districts. Why would you risk getting injured in a charity volleyball match. Does the coach not have a clue as to what's going on?
Would you still be upset with the player if one of their parents had cancer, the benefit was supporting that parent, and they were playing at about 30% speed with cousins, other families, and people they know from their parents work and church?

Reactions: mosofan and I2R I
giphy.gif

Did the coach or AD not know the rules, or did they intentionally disregard them?

A good argument to be made that a charity "Competition" does not even fit under this rule. They were not competing in a St. Louis All-State USA Volleyball event--a serious competition. This was a charity EVENT that hardly matches the nature and intent of the rule.

Would you still be upset with the player if one of their parents had cancer, the benefit was supporting that parent, and they were playing at about 30% speed with cousins, other families, and people they know from their parents work and church?
Probably not. Is that what happened? I read it was a coed organized volleyball tournament and they were going 100% These are 2 totally different things. I don't think they should be stripped of district title. Thats not what i'm arguing here.

Probably not. Is that what happened? I read it was a coed organized volleyball tournament and they were going 100% These are 2 totally different things.

COED.. By definition, not even the same sport. Just like Boys Tennis is not Girls Tennis. More proof of the inapplicability of the rule.

Whoever is calling the shots on this at MSHSAA should have their bell rung for making such a stupid baseless call. Different sport.

Reactions: thetophat2021
A good argument to be made that a charity "Competition" does not even fit under this rule. They were not competing in a St. Louis All-State USA Volleyball event--a serious competition. This was a charity EVENT that hardly matches the nature and intent of the rule.
I read through the by-laws to see if it mentioned anything about it having to be a St. Louis All-State USA Volleyball event to be in violation. It didn't.

Yep, I double checked the MSHSAA site. There IS NO COED VOLLEYBALL.

Not the same sport. I guess if Houston girls were competing on a COED team for the school, they would be ineligible under the letter of the rule. Otherwise, they did not compete in the same sport. And the judgment should be reversed.

If the Licking parents (that's odd to type) ratted them out, then everyone should immediately become Stover Bulldog fans. If the Licking girls (again, not easy to keep from chuckling) should advance, they deserve to have the dreaded asterisk next to their name.
MSHSAA is sliding down the same slippery slope of the NCAA. To use a Bosko term, they're a bunch of clowns with an overblown sense of self worth and a bloated payroll. I would love to buy several of the MSHSAA chiefs for what they're worth and sell them for they think they're worth and then I could immediately retire.
Probably not healthy to get this riled up at 9:30 in the morning?

Reactions: BoosterBosko
Yep, I double checked the MSHSAA site. There IS NO COED VOLLEYBALL.

Not the same sport. I guess if Houston girls were competing on a COED team for the school, they would be ineligible under the letter of the rule. Otherwise, they did not compete in the same sport. And the judgment should be reversed.
I'm sure MSHSAA would be as interested in your thoughts as everybody else always has.

Probably not. Is that what happened? I read it was a coed organized volleyball tournament and they were going 100% These are 2 totally different things. I don't think they should be stripped of district title. Thats not what i'm arguing here.
I'm not exactly sure, I do know it was in support of someone who had cancer. Could've been a parent. I was partly just playing devils advocate, ultimately I probably don't know anymore of the details than you do. But, like you, I certainly don't think this warranted disqualification. Especially in light of all the ineligible player issues we've had in football not dq'ing anyone.

I'm not exactly sure, I do know it was in support of someone who had cancer. Could've been a parent. I was partly just playing devils advocate, ultimately I probably don't know anymore of the details than you do. But, like you, I certainly don't think this war ranted disqualification. Especially in light of all the ineligible player issues we've had in football not dq'ing anyone.
It is sad this has happened. It really makes Licking look bad (even if they are not the ones who turned them in) because Licking had beat them 2x in regular season already and now they lost when it matters, but they won... I said it before, If I am Licking, it would be hard for me to accept the invite. Watch them make a run and win it all.

Just to confirm Stagolee, you are advocating in support of a high school team being disqualified because two athletes played volleyball in a community fundraiser for someone who had cancer?

Yep, because everyone is interested in what the jacktard has to say...no matter how stupid it sounds.

I am hearing from a few schools that they plan to wear pink in support of Houston in their next game. It would be real nice to see all of the schools do it.

Just to confirm Stagolee, you are advocating in support of a high school team being disqualified because two athletes played volleyball in a community fundraiser for someone who had cancer?
I am in support of MSHSAA enforcing their policies, regardless of what school it is, how the school is funded, where it is located, the demographic makeup of the student body, or whether or not it is popular among the intelligentsia on internet message boards.

Reactions: Winston Bishop
I am in support of MSHSAA enforcing their policies, regardless of what school it is, how the school is funded, where it is located, the demographic makeup of the student body, or whether or not it is popular among the intelligentsia on internet message boards.
You don't seem too concerned about private schools getting away with cheating.

Weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT