ADVERTISEMENT

High school recruiting by D1s dying more rapidly.

KCPrepZone

May 13, 2022

This is the max preps post where coach Deion says he’s only gonna take 4 to 5 highschoolers and then basically we live in a free agent age of the transfer portal. With coaches being on such a short lease they don’t have time to make the investment in highschoolers. I know that Missouri went down to 10 last year but it could get to the point where we only get 3 to 4 year highschoolers going to some of these D1s.

Look at Mizzou in a year that maybe the best player on the squad is from Truman State.

Last edited:
Deion may be the exception. You have to think the top programs are still going to be going after the best high school guys.. But second tier? who knows? Its a different world for sure

Deion may be the exception. You have to think the top programs are still going to be going after the best high school guys.. But second tier? who knows? Its a different world for sure

I think the idea is what used to be the top 20-24 players is not moving toward the best 3-8 players

Read awhile back that Deion was using the 40-40-20 plan. 40% Grad transfers. 40% reg student transfers, and 20% HS players. Not sure if that was just for year 1 or what.
This stuff has taken away some of the spirit of the game IMO. All for these kids being able to make some money, but when things like Lovett at UGA have taken away from the deal. He has a great soph season at Mizzou, and UGA has kids graduate. UGA gets him more money and he goes there. Can't blame a kid at all, but a big draw of college sports is the home team deal, play and root for your home state, you see kids grow up and develop.

As college players exhaust their elibility or turn pro, they have to be replaced by someone. There are arguments to be made against the current transfer rules. The idea that high schoolers will no longer get recruited is not one of them.

Reactions: Mitsurugi san
As college players exhaust their elibility or turn pro, they have to be replaced by someone. There are arguments to be made against the current transfer rules. The idea that high schoolers will no longer get recruited is not one of them.

No one said they won’t be recruited. What is happening is the pool of scholarships devoted to high schoolers is down by more than 50% in the major D1s. Coaches have short window so they want sure bets. The transfer portal gets them a lot closer to getting a sure thing, with a free agent signing. Someone that has already survived college classes and has a couple of years under their belt.

No one said they won’t be recruited. What is happening is the pool of scholarships devoted to high schoolers is down by more than 50% in the major D1s. Coaches have short window so they want sure bets. The transfer portal gets them a lot closer to getting a sure thing, with a free agent signing. Someone that has already survived college classes and has a couple of years under their belt.
The best players will go to the best places. Everybody else will slot in going down the ladder. Capitalism at its finest.

The portal will keep the number of D1 highschoolers lower than before the portal came into effect. More than likely some of those may be relegated to D2 or FCS programs. Some of those kids through the portal will move up from the lower ranks after a couple years due to the S&C programs and just being immersed within a college football environment. Some of the kids from all divisions who enter wont have a landing spot so thats just the nature of the biz.

Reactions: Rufus R. Jones
Isn't this a byproduct of Covid?
Yes. My step sons team had 6 and 7th year seniors. You add red shirt , medical year, and Covid and some of these men are in their mid to late twenties and still playing college ball. In his case it is slowly starting to clear out in front of him now.

Reactions: Cards1968
Portal is ruining everything about college sports....I can't wait for the first person on MNF to say their name followed by: THE ClemOkZonaippi St. BullFrogs!!!

2025s will be the first to not have to deal with the extra Covid year. It has influenced high school recruiting more than the transfer portal (even though many of those kids are in the transfer portal). That was the most ridiculous thing the NCAA did during Covid giving them an extra year. No seasons were ever cancelled except the spring of 2020. John Calipari said it best do you really want 25 year olds playing 18 year olds (especially football). It backlogged everything.
There are coaches who prefer the old way of recruiting, but I keep seeing in articles they are under the assumption that all these players will have no loyalty to their school now, and why build up an 18 year old who is just going to leave. Wouldn't that trickle down? I wonder if D2 coaches just assume their top high school players are going to leave as well.
All it takes are coaches and players to buck that trend and succeed to get the pendulum swinging back the other way.

Here is the current transfer portal
I looked at it two days ago and it was 363. Already up to 444.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT