ADVERTISEMENT

Bill would open Mizzou Public School sports to home-schooled students...

My son interviewed with Frontenac and the pay was going to be higher than comparable MO schools. However...when playing the long game, the MO Public School Teacher Retirement Plan is way better than the KS offering. The devil is always lurking in the details.
I also remember that the SWKS schools were paying bonuses for new graduates to relocate to Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, etc to teach. I suggested to my son that before he signed on for that gig, perhaps he should go spend a weekend in Garden City...in January. If you like non-stop wind, Garden City is your place!
Yeah but you are talking almost $15,000 to $25,000 more a year, and some areas will pay off your student loans.

Yep and that is why so many of the urban districts are failing so bad. Not because the teachers are bad but simply because a high number of their students are chronically absent, living in unstable or unhealthy housing arrangements, lacking parental involvement, basically on their own left to their own devices and surrounded by a peer culture that constantly tries to lure them down a bad path in life.
But it's not just urban issue rural areas are affected. I was a a school board meeting and they were discussing the percentage of homeless or couch surfing that kids do today in all districts and it was crazy.

I am just wondering out loud if some of these issues is part of today's culture and impowering kids to have a say in how they are raised? I know I will be accused of being old, but back when I was in school my parents could hold my feet to the fire along with the school. my parents nor did the schools worry about being hotline like many do today, if you try to have your kids toe the line. My kids see so many kids leaving school early or just skipping and they want to do the same thing. So for two years we had one of ours attend private school so they could see we were not being the overbearing parents by making them attend school and do homework.

My son interviewed with Frontenac and the pay was going to be higher than comparable MO schools. However...when playing the long game, the MO Public School Teacher Retirement Plan is way better than the KS offering. The devil is always lurking in the details.
I also remember that the SWKS schools were paying bonuses for new graduates to relocate to Garden City, Dodge City, Liberal, etc to teach. I suggested to my son that before he signed on for that gig, perhaps he should go spend a weekend in Garden City...in January. If you like non-stop wind, Garden City is your place!
conference calls GIF

Auntie Em Uncle Henry it's a TWISTER..............

Reactions: 86THS
But it's not just urban issue rural areas are affected. I was a a school board meeting and they were discussing the percentage of homeless or couch surfing that kids do today in all districts and it was crazy.

I am just wondering out loud if some of these issues is part of today's culture and impowering kids to have a say in how they are raised? I know I will be accused of being old, but back when I was in school my parents could hold my feet to the fire along with the school. my parents nor did the schools worry about being hotline like many do today, if you try to have your kids toe the line. My kids see so many kids leaving school early or just skipping and they want to do the same thing. So for two years we had one of ours attend private school so they could see we were not being the overbearing parents by making them attend school and do homework.
IMO attendance is a massive problem with test scores being low. The old days really poor attendance was missing 10-12 days a semester. Now that is 20+.

Yeah but you are talking almost $15,000 to $25,000 more a year, and some areas will pay off your student loans.
Whoa, it was nothing near that for SEKS. Curious: to get the student loan payoff deal, does the teacher have to commit to the district for a set number of years?

I think the new "chaos politics" is what we are going to have going forward. Meaning far right and far left yell the loudest, push for things that make a lot of noise but aren't really a true point. Moderates on both sides split up votes, and nothing gets done. If you look at the first couple of days in the MO senate, it has already started out in a mess, and session was ended early already due to arguing and bickering.

Example - great deal of politicians are running on cleaning up public education, stamping out mask mandates, DEI, CRT, LGBTQ. and the liberal agenda (all their words not mine). Those statements draw publicity and get folks cheering. The reality of it is none of those are a major problem. For all the talk of litter boxes in bathrooms, has anyone ever seen one? Wouldn't you think when 90% of kids have a cell phone in their pocket that one of them would take a pic of a litter box in the science wing bathroom? How many teachers have you seen pushing a political agenda? Why would someone in a tested area push a political or lifestyle agenda over teaching their subject?

90% of problems with public education starts and ends at home. End of discussion. Another observation I have noticed. You hear all the yelling and complaining about public education. For our first semester parent-teacher conferences, I had under 10% parent participation. If you thought the schools were pushing an agenda, teachers were crazy, curriculum was very liberal, etc wouldn't that have been a chance to come up to the school, visit the classrooms and teachers, and see for yourself what is going on? Open house we averaged about 25% turn out.
You said it better than I ever could. So much time is spent on things that aren’t a big deal. So inefficient as a society.

No it's not necessarily urban or rural, it's poor. There are very few school districts that are both high performing AND "demographically challenged". Likewise show me a district with high average income and I'll bet you the test scores are good. It's almost as if they are related.

Even the best educators have a difficult time improving the test scores of kids who don't see value in education and are surrounded by people outside of school who reinforce that. That's true whether it's an inner city kid influenced by gangs, a kid in Carthage who sleeps on the floor of a house with 17 other relatives and is in the country illegally, or a kid from the sticks who has never experienced a life that didn't involve meth and avoiding law enforcement.

No it's not necessarily urban or rural, it's poor. There are very few school districts that are both high performing AND "demographically challenged". Likewise show me a district with high average income and I'll bet you the test scores are good. It's almost as if they are related.

Even the best educators have a difficult time improving the test scores of kids who don't see value in education and are surrounded by people outside of school who reinforce that. That's true whether it's an inner city kid influenced by gangs, a kid in Carthage who sleeps on the floor of a house with 17 other relatives and is in the country illegally, or a kid from the sticks who has never experienced a life that didn't involve meth and avoiding law enforcement.
Carthage and Monett probable are very similar You have those who are very well off, then the EL kids, such diverse communities from top to bottom.

Who ever said schools starting at 40,000 is full of feces. He'll, you still got some schools still with 25,000 as base. When I graduated in 1991 they raised the base to 25,000. Kids going to college have to really want to teach. The lack of pay, family and administration support will drive the younguns out.

Who ever said schools starting at 40,000 is full of feces. He'll, you still got some schools still with 25,000 as base. When I graduated in 1991 they raised the base to 25,000. Kids going to college have to really want to teach. The lack of pay, family and administration support will drive the younguns out.
I believe this is the 2nd year where the MO legislature has provided a grant to districts that makes up the diff between starting salary and $38,000.

Agree on kids really have to want to do it to stay in. Highest level ever of teachers getting out within 5 years, and lowest number of applicants for open jobs. Many districts not able to fill the toughers spots of foreign language, SPED, etc. Obviously TA, custodial, cooks, etc are understaffed almost everywhere.

After years of John Ashcroft’s teacher hating, the minimum teacher pay was finally substantially increased and our pension was improved to become one of the the best in the country when the Education Governor Mel Carnahan was in office. He was the best thing that ever happened to schools in Missouri. The past 20 years it has been all down hill.

Reactions: Rufus R. Jones
After years of John Ashcroft’s teacher hating, the minimum teacher pay was finally substantially increased and our pension was improved to become one of the the best in the country when the Education Governor Mel Carnahan was in office. He was the best thing that ever happened to schools in Missouri. The past 20 years it has been all down hill.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: MC_PL01
From 2022, Einstein:

On average, starting salaries for Missouri teachers are a little more than $33,200. Only Montana pays new teachers less.

Even Missouri teachers with more experience are in the bottom five of states for average pay; the review found the average Missouri teacher salary is $51,600. That is much less than professionals with similar levels of education in the state.

“Asking educators to sacrifice, over the course of their life, 25 or 30% of what their contemporaries could be making is a lot to ask,” Jones said. “It's hard to make a case for a person coming out of college that they should go into education.”

Missouri also pays significantly less than its neighboring states. Jones said that's especially problematic because the St. Louis and Kansas City metro areas straddle state lines, so it’s easy for teachers to find jobs across the border without having to move.

Illinois’ average teacher pay is almost $20,000 more than Missouri’s. Kansas’ is more comparable but is still about $2,000 more, and the state’s starting pay is about $6,000 more than Missouri’s.

“Even for the Midwest, we are lagging behind,” Jones said. “We're just not competing in the way we should to get high-quality teachers in our classrooms.”

This is an issue that politicians and state education leaders have repeatedly said needs to be fixed. In January, during his 2022 State of the State address, Gov. Mike Parson said raising teacher pay should be a priority.

“Missouri is currently ranked 50th in the United States for starting teacher pay, and half of our new teachers leave the profession by their fifth year,” Parson said. “This is unacceptable, and we must do better.”
The average Principal pay is what?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT