ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St QB Braxton Miller to transfer?

3Rfan

Aug 23, 2002
He graduated in December and would be eligible to play immediately if he transfers? I saw several schools listed that he might want to go. Why the heck is that allowed?

Russell Wilson did it. Its a reward for graduating when you are looking to
improve your situation, athletically. Why not?

Yeah, if you graduate you are allowed to transfer without the one-year waiting period. I think it probably happens more than you think, but doesn't make much news because a high profile athlete is more likely to declare for the draft rather than prolong their college career. I believe this is the same rule that allowed Russell Wilson to transfer from NC State to Wisconsin for his last year of eligibility, because he graduated early from NC State.

Greg paulus transferred from duke after his basketball days were over to start 1 season for Syracuse football.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by nwbearcat43:
Yeah, if you graduate you are allowed to transfer without the one-year waiting period. I think it probably happens more than you think, but doesn't make much news because a high profile athlete is more likely to declare for the draft rather than prolong their college career. I believe this is the same rule that allowed Russell Wilson to transfer from NC State to Wisconsin for his last year of eligibility, because he graduated early from NC State.
I think the rule is fine at the same time Oklahoma had a player transfer from Texas Tech (Baker Mayfield) who was a walk-on and still had to sit out a year. How it is that someone that pays their own way has to sit out. Unless Miller is certain he wants to stay at Ohio st he should take advantage of the rule because he can pretty much pick whichever school he goes to.

Originally posted by hangmanbobbyjaggers:

Florida State will have too many QBs. They had like 3 of the Under Armour qbs committed already
They won't land them all, at least I don't think they will. They have three of the top 25 rated QB's(Locksley, Francois and Johnson). And the #1 QB next year.

I have no idea who will start next year, it will be an interesting QB battle for sure.

Your right, they wont get all 3 of those QB's on campus. 1 maybe 2 but not 3 and none of them will be able to start as a freshman. Sean Maguire got to start this year when "dumb dick" couldn't but he can't be the answer if they are planning on a return to the playoffs. Braxton Miller is a perfect answer and with a pro style offense like Florida State's it will give him the best case senerio of getting drafted and making a NFL roster.

Originally posted by Rock Hard Corn Frog:

Originally posted by nwbearcat43:
I think the rule is fine at the same time Oklahoma had a player transfer from Texas Tech (Baker Mayfield) who was a walk-on and still had to sit out a year. How it is that someone that pays their own way has to sit out. Unless Miller is certain he wants to stay at Ohio st he should take advantage of the rule because he can pretty much pick whichever school he goes to.
think the NCAA needs to really look at the rule about walk-ons transferring. If Tech would have released him, it would have been fine as well, and he could have played. Its wrong to be able to hold up a guy that you would not even give a scholarship to.

Originally posted by nightcrawler7:
Your right, they wont get all 3 of those QB's on campus. 1 maybe 2 but not 3 and none of them will be able to start as a freshman. Sean Maguire got to start this year when "dumb dick" couldn't but he can't be the answer if they are planning on a return to the playoffs. Braxton Miller is a perfect answer and with a pro style offense like Florida State's it will give him the best case senerio of getting drafted and making a NFL roster.
We will see. MacGuire could be the answer if he is consistent. He threw for over 300 yards against a pretty good defense. They will be riding on the shoulders of Dalvin Cook next year.

Hopefully they learn(they as in the frosh WR's) how to hold onto the ************************************ ball.

Drop, what's your thoughts on Jacques Patrick? I got to see him play two games when I was on vacation in Florida last October. Around 6'1"-6'2" and looked like around 230 pounds. Definitely a talented RB. I would've liked to see him in a more wide-open offense. Most of the time, his coach put him in the Single-Wing and let him pound the rock.

I know of guys that stayed another to play a different sport. Why would you do that in the same sport from a team that is already a big deal to another team in the same sport?

In Braxton's case he is not guaranteed a job. They will have all three QBs returning and if Barrett hadn't gotten hurt he likely would have been among the Heisman finalists.

Additionally, FSU plays more of a pro style offense so
Winston will likely be their third QB taken in the first round
in the last 7 or so years. If Miller thinks of himself as an
Nfl QB (not a sure thing) FSU might be a great place to
show his stuff.

Originally posted by gianthook:
Drop, what's your thoughts on Jacques Patrick? I got to see him play two games when I was on vacation in Florida last October. Around 6'1"-6'2" and looked like around 230 pounds. Definitely a talented RB. I would've liked to see him in a more wide-open offense. Most of the time, his coach put him in the Single-Wing and let him pound the rock.
He is a physical beast. FSU could have one heck of a tandem the next few years.

Why does this come out BEFORE he plays in a National Championship game? That can't be good for the team.

Originally posted by 3Rfan:
Why does this come out BEFORE he plays in a National Championship game? That can't be good for the team.
He's not playing. And his team knew he would be. This is not a shock for anybody.

Originally posted by Drop.Tine:

Originally posted by 3Rfan:
He's not playing. And his team knew he would be. This is not a shock for anybody.
I don't see anything wrong with him wanting to continue his career. Especially if it gives him a chance to increase his draft stock. I might not necessarily agree with the rule, but until it changes, why not go for it.

Reactions: KurtWagner
I agree he should go for it, I just think with all the rules they have about transfers I wonder why is this allowed.

Missouri could use a QB and he would get to play in the SEC. He would solve many of the problems they. had this year of relying on the defense to win the games.

This post was edited on 1/14 10:54 PM by SHML

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT