ADVERTISEMENT

Districts in which a 6 or 7 seed have legit chance to win

oldbaldguy85

Jan 18, 2008
It is often pleaded on this site that the first round district games are not competitive and that only the 1-4 seeds should be allowed in the "playoffs". I give you below a couple of reasons why maybe this would sometimes not be a good idea and it is only because of MSHSAA flawed point system (even though I believe it is a decent system, just needs some tweaks). I also believe that there is merit to only allowing seeds 1-4 in playoffs but just need to tweak system somewhat as evidence below.

Class 2, District 2. Balanced district with some oddities. Montgomery County is seeded 6th with a 6-2 record. They have already beaten the 2 seed (Hermann). If you look at the Cal Preps Predictor (not perfect, but fairly accurate and fun to look at), Montgomery County is favored by 2 TD's over the 1 seed. District championship game might be played in round 1 if seeds hold true as Lift for Life (favorite in this district but seeded 3rd) would play Montgomery County in round one. St. Pius Festus had to forfeit a win that affected the seeds even more. Just some interesting things going on here.

Class 5, District 1. St. Mary's is the 6 seed because they have played a brutal schedule. PB will end up 1 and Cape will end up 2. If you look at Cal Preps, St. Mary's vs. both Cape and PB are 1 point margins which is essentially a toss up. I could see St. Mary's winning this district. Likely Cape Central vs. St. Mary's semifinal matchup will be interesting.

Just two examples of IF only top 4 move on, you are leaving potential district champs out of playoffs. And you could say they needed to do more in the regular season, but heck, Montgomery County is 6-2 and beat the 2 seed. I know these are oddities but just thought these were 2 interesting examples. Are there others??

It is often pleaded on this site that the first round district games are not competitive and that only the 1-4 seeds should be allowed in the "playoffs". I give you below a couple of reasons why maybe this would sometimes not be a good idea and it is only because of MSHSAA flawed point system (even though I believe it is a decent system, just needs some tweaks). I also believe that there is merit to only allowing seeds 1-4 in playoffs but just need to tweak system somewhat as evidence below.

Class 2, District 2. Balanced district with some oddities. Montgomery County is seeded 6th with a 6-2 record. They have already beaten the 2 seed (Hermann). If you look at the Cal Preps Predictor (not perfect, but fairly accurate and fun to look at), Montgomery County is favored by 2 TD's over the 1 seed. District championship game might be played in round 1 if seeds hold true as Lift for Life (favorite in this district but seeded 3rd) would play Montgomery County in round one. St. Pius Festus had to forfeit a win that affected the seeds even more. Just some interesting things going on here.

Class 5, District 1. St. Mary's is the 6 seed because they have played a brutal schedule. PB will end up 1 and Cape will end up 2. If you look at Cal Preps, St. Mary's vs. both Cape and PB are 1 point margins which is essentially a toss up. I could see St. Mary's winning this district. Likely Cape Central vs. St. Mary's semifinal matchup will be interesting.

Just two examples of IF only top 4 move on, you are leaving potential district champs out of playoffs. And you could say they needed to do more in the regular season, but heck, Montgomery County is 6-2 and beat the 2 seed. I know these are oddities but just thought these were 2 interesting examples. Are there others??
Interesting points. Also interesting anomalies. If (big IF) the system needs tweaked to exclude the low seeds, I think looking at the numbers long-term is more telling than anecdotal evidence from one year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT