ADVERTISEMENT

MSHSAA Postseason Format

HoopsTournament

Jul 30, 2001
Here is an interesting consequence of the new format of MSHSAA Postseason Basketball. St. Elizabeth Girls will be playing at Cairo which is 1:40 north. St. Elizabeth Boys will be at Sheldon which is 2:45 West. Under the old format, they would have been playing on the same night most likely together at a neutral site. So instead of probably at most 2 hours on the road for one night, their fans will be on the road for 8 hours and 50 minutes over two nights. And that is if they don’t stop for gas, bathroom breaks or for other reasons.

Here is an interesting consequence of the new format of MSHSAA Postseason Basketball. St. Elizabeth Girls will be playing at Cairo which is 1:40 north. St. Elizabeth Boys will be at Sheldon which is 2:45 West. Under the old format, they would have been playing on the same night most likely together at a neutral site. So instead of probably at most 2 hours on the road for one night, their fans will be on the road for 8 hours and 50 minutes over two nights. And that is if they don’t stop for gas, bathroom breaks or for other reasons.
Pierce City football says 'Hold my gas card and 10 hour round trip". (and that was the first round of districts.)

🧐 ......MSHSAA needs to take a refresher course in COMMON SENSE.....! C =|~

Reactions: Missouri Kid
This makes absolutely no sense to me. How is it determined who is the host school. Mshsaa does everything ass backwards. Most of it is done without regards to the fans and teams. From St. Elizabeth to Sheldon is a far piece. Sheldon’s facilities are not the best in the world so St. Elizabeth fans should not expect much in the way of seating. Let alone the home court advantage.

• Sad
Reactions: HoopsTournament
Even years - even number district host. Odd years - odd number district host. It's like that in every other sport. I'll miss the neutral sites for some places. It was neat to play in the college arenas or like the arena at the State Fairgrounds. But when the "Southwest" region games were played in Warrensburg you knew a change had to be made. Making boy's and girls' basketball separate sports essentially has been a good change that MSHSAA has made. It makes sense. You are always going to have some outlier games but that's going to happen when you shrink down to 16 teams.

Reactions: nwlions
I noticed the Battle girls are playing in St. Louis and the Battle boys are playing in Kansas City.

You have no friend in MSHSAA

Let's see.........what do they get paid?
Good thing they have all those educational requirements to make such stupid decisions.

Even years - even number district host. Odd years - odd number district host. It's like that in every other sport. I'll miss the neutral sites for some places. It was neat to play in the college arenas or like the arena at the State Fairgrounds. But when the "Southwest" region games were played in Warrensburg you knew a change had to be made. Making boy's and girls' basketball separate sports essentially has been a good change that MSHSAA has made. It makes sense. You are always going to have some outlier games but that's going to happen when you shrink down to 16 teams.
So for classes 1-3 the odd district winner hosts sectional, who would host the quarterfinal?

So for classes 1-3 the odd district winner hosts sectional, who would host the quarterfinal?
For this year, even number or the bottom team on the bracket hosts sectional. Quarterfinals - whoever didn't host in sectionals would host in quarterfinals. If both teams hosted, the bottom team on the bracket. If neither team hosted, the bottom team on bracket.

Reactions: da bears 25
Not having neutral site games is bad for fans and bad for media. There are places in southwest Missouri that can host. Instead of crying about it, maybe they could have stepped up and actually hosted those games. And there are going to be small schools who have gyms that are not big enough to host games. (This is not a concern for outdoor sports like it is for basketball.) Lastly, because districts change every year, there are teams that move from odd to even numbered districts from year to year. Changing the odd to even is not equitable.

Not having neutral site games is bad for fans and bad for media. There are places in southwest Missouri that can host. Instead of crying about it, maybe they could have stepped up and actually hosted those games. And there are going to be small schools who have gyms that are not big enough to host games. (This is not a concern for outdoor sports like it is for basketball.) Lastly, because districts change every year, there are teams that move from odd to even numbered districts from year to year. Changing the odd to even is not equitable.
They actually do have minimum capacity for hosting the game. The St. E/Sheldon game is being played at Nevada High School for example.

And for media, it is awful. I can only go to one game a night, which means that I can cover at most 4 games this week for sectionals and quarterfinals. Last year, I was able to cover 10 games. Tell me how this is better for the fans.
it beats having districts of 2 or 3 girls teams in SEMO while stuffing 9 teams into districts in western MO.

Sorry that you are inconvenienced.

Reactions: CaptainMullet
it beats having districts of 2 or 3 girls teams in SEMO while stuffing 9 teams into districts in western MO.

Sorry that you are inconvenienced.
And if you want to talk about being inconvenienced, a few Southwest Missouri schools were inconvenienced by having to travel in the quarterfinals last year and so they cried like babies so they could get their way. And, as a result, real basketball fans who want to see more games lose.

They actually do have minimum capacity for hosting the game. The St. E/Sheldon game is being played at Nevada High School for example.
The problem is that MSHSAA defines the capacity for what they think should be the maximum number of fans that want to go to a game. But some of the top C1 schools have a bigger fan following than bigger schools in the postseason. Thinking MSHSAA can actually do a good job at defining a correct minimum capacity is laughable.

And if you want to talk about being inconvenienced, a few Southwest Missouri schools were inconvenienced by having to travel in the quarterfinals last year and so they cried like babies so they could get their way. And, as a result, real basketball fans who want to see more games lose.
That's fair.

I'm curious which schools you're referring to; I went back to see who was in the quarterfinals last year and didn't see a ton of SWMO schools represented..

WRONG.... Try, they didnt want to pay the $$$ to rent out those neutral sites.... They figured it worked just fine during Covid, why not do it like this now...

Slow day at work, so I am listing all the first round games in Class 1-3 that is over 1.5 hours.
South PemiscottoCabool
3:14​
South IrontoChadwick
3:08​
FatimatoThayer
3:00​
St. ElizabethtoNevada
2:35​
HarrisburgtoCanton
2:04​
Blue EyetoCollege Heights Christian
1:49​
EugenetoHartville
1:48​
PriorytoPalmyra
Mongomery Co.toVersailles
1:43​

MSHSAA has added seating capacity for host school. Here is the capacity for the sites hosting.
Cabool
1600​
Summit Christian
1400​
Versailles
1200​
Nevada
1200​
Palmyra
1100​
Richland (Essex)
1000​
Hartville
1000​
Canton
1000​
Thayer
1000​
Charleson
900​
Lawson
900​
Crest Ridge
850​
Maysville
840​
Trenton
825​
Southwest Washburn
800​
Dadeville
660​
College Heights
650​
Tipton
640​
Jefferson (Conception Jct.)
630​
Chadwick
600​
Bunceton
600​
Jefferson (Festus)
600​
Brunswick
560​
St.Vincent
380​

I'm curious which schools you're referring to; I went back to see who was in the quarterfinals last year and didn't see a ton of SWMO schools represented..
Girls: Miller, Norwood, Fordland, El Dorado Springs, Fair Grove, Mansfield, Skyline
Boys: Sparta, Weaubleau, Marionville, Hartville

I don't know if all of them complained, but I do know a couple in particular that did and I am not going to out them on a message board.

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Slow day at work, so I am listing all the first round games in Class 1-3 that is over 1.5 hours.
South PemiscottoCabool
South IrontoChadwick
FatimatoThayer
St. ElizabethtoNevada
HarrisburgtoCanton
EugenetoHartville
PriorytoPalmyra

MSHSAA has added seating capacity for host school. Here is the capacity for the sites hosting.
Cabool
1600​
Summit Christian
1400​
Versailles
1200​
Nevada
1200​
Palmyra
1100​
Richland (Essex)
1000​
Hartville
1000​
Canton
1000​
Thayer
1000​
Charleson
900​
Lawson
900​
Crest Ridge
850​
Maysville
840​
Trenton
825​
Southwest Washburn
800​
Dadeville
660​
College Heights
650​
Tipton
640​
630​
Chadwick
600​
Bunceton
600​
Jefferson (Festus)
600​
Brunswick
560​
St.Vincent
380​
Perryville St. Vincent hosting with that capacity has every chance to be a clusterf***.

Perryville St. Vincent hosting with that capacity has every chance to be a clusterf***.
There better be 380 fairly physically fit folk if you're going to put 380 people in that Cracker Jack box. Holy hell, I'd say 250 or so might make that place uncomfortable.

Let's assume there is an equal amount of fans traveling from both schools. If you look at last year's Class 1-3 Boys sectionals the TOTAL travel time between all fans is far higher. Here's a list of all the Sectional games last year that had a combined travel time of over 1.5 hours.... two more were 1 hour 29 minutes.
Team 1Team 2HostTeam 1 TravelTeam 2 TravelTotal
ClarktonRichlandMountain View2:071:493:56
SteelevilleThayerLebanon1:242:153:39
OrrickGreen CitySt. Joe1:182:113:29
CooterSummersvilleBloomfield1:192:033:22
South IronChadwickMountain View1:281:383:06
Thomas JeffersonRich HillWillard1:091:452:54
SalisburyLincolnCapital City1:291:212:50
AdvancePrincipiaPark Hills1:261:232:49
DadevilleSt. ElizabethWillard0:292:092:38
SpartaSouthwest WashburnCarthage1:201:122:32
Lutheran NorthSouth ShelbyHannibal1:440:392:23
St. Pius XMilanStaley0:182:042:22
LeetonGlasgowHarrisburg1:490:322:21
WebleauWellingtonHarrisonville1:161:052:21
AtlantaBrunswickHarrisburg1:051:042:09
CraneMarionvilleCarthage1:060:521:58
North CallawayCole CampCapital City0:401:091:49
EugeneHartvilleLebanon1:040:421:46
Lone JackLafayette CountyHarrisonville0:311:101:41
WinstonJeffersonSt. Joe0:480:481:36
South PemiscottoCabool
South IrontoChadwick
FatimatoThayer
St. ElizabethtoNevada
HarrisburgtoCanton
EugenetoHartville
PriorytoPalmyra

Cabool
1600​
Summit Christian
1400​
Versailles
1200​
Nevada
1200​
Palmyra
1100​
Richland (Essex)
1000​
Hartville
1000​
Canton
1000​
Thayer
1000​
Charleson
900​
Lawson
900​
Crest Ridge
850​
Maysville
840​
Trenton
825​
Southwest Washburn
800​
Dadeville
660​
College Heights
650​
Tipton
640​
630​
Chadwick
600​
Bunceton
600​
Jefferson (Festus)
600​
Brunswick
560​
St.Vincent
380​

The biggest complaints I heard were the quarterfinal games between Sparta and Thayer in class 3 and Marionville and Hartville in class 2 being at Warrensburg. At least they were the same night for someone just wanting to watch.

Reactions: Winston Bishop
Girls: Miller, Norwood, Fordland, El Dorado Springs, Fair Grove, Mansfield, Skyline
Boys: Sparta, Weaubleau, Marionville, Hartville

I don't know if all of them complained, but I do know a couple in particular that did and I am not going to out them on a message board.

I am not going to out them on a message board.
What are we even doing here? You're worried about whether you can cover more than one game a night, but when you have actual intel you won't share it?

A few years ago when St. Vincent hosted districts, the games took place on a temporary floor at the Perry Park Center (very much like Farmington used to do with the Civic Center). Might they be doing that again?

A few years ago when St. Vincent hosted districts, the games took place on a temporary floor at the Perry Park Center (very much like Farmington used to do with the Civic Center). Might they be doing that again?
Possibly. I’m long removed from that area, but Perry Park Center is a nice facility. Or it was 15ish yrs ago. Does St Vincent still have the rubber floor? Makes my ACLs weak just thinking about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT