ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri's playoff system...an idea

shovel_option

Aug 24, 2009
I think Missouri's playoff system, while a good attempt to be like other sports and have a true bracket, could be modified and improved. It's no secret this first round is a joke and the forfeits will only continue to rise. I like Illinois' playoff system, 32 teams, based on record, seeded in two brackets of 16 (based on geography). I believe Class 7 and Class 8 might be a 32 team bracket since most are in the northern part of Illinois anyway. I do think Missouri's point system is better than just going off record like Illinois does (rewards soft schedules, etc), most 5-4 teams in ILL make the playoffs. The same could be true for Missouri. I also don't like that Illinois schools have no idea what Class they are until the 256 qualifiers are announced. I say we keep the classes from preseason, and then use the point system to take the top 32 schools in each class. Then divide them up into 2 geographic brackets (East/West or North/South) to prevent true cross-state travel 4 weekends in a row.

Here's what Class 3 looked like: There was an imbalance in district points, Districts 1 - 4 (the "east") had way more than 16 teams represented out of 32, so I had to poach a few to go to the West bracket.
East Bracket
#1 St. Mary's vs #16 Orchard Farm
#8 Priory vs #9 Cardinal Ritter
#4 Kennett vs #13 Sullivan
#5 Lutheran North vs #12 Normandy

#2 Valle Catholic vs #15 Westminster
#7 St. Clair vs # 10 Dexter
#3 Park Hills vs #14 Winfield
#6 Ste. Genevieve vs #11 Potosi

West Bracket
#1 Odessa vs #16 Buffalo
#8 Owensville vs #9 Chillicothe
#4 St. Pius KC vs #13 Seneca
#5 Center vs #12 Mountain Grove

#2 Aurora vs #15 Pleasant Hill
#7 Blair Oaks vs #10 Boonville
#3 Mexico vs #14 Oak Grove
#6 Summit Christian vs #11 Hollister

Is it perfect? No. Illinois brackets are often times not completely 50% balanced with the best teams. Geography has to come into play in my mind. Doing all 32 teams together could create some nightmare trips on repeated weekends. But you certainly could try if everyone was agreeable.
Are the seeds perfect? Of course not. There's been many years where East St. Louis is a lower seed thanks to a 5-4 or 6-3 record and they blitz everyone.

I do like the formula dictating seeding. Something has to, and I think it's better than straight record. Look at a team like Cardinal Ritter...I think we can all agree they are top 32 Class 3 team, and probably a top 16 team. With a 3-6 record they'd no chance in ILL to make the playoffs, the formula rewards their schedule.

Discuss...

Reactions: NikeFootball59
Doesn't MSHAA start getting a piece of the gate when districts start? There is no gate when games don't get played. This more than anything else would appear to be the only thing that catches their attention.
I think adding a losers game after each round would incentivize more people to play through the season and give half the kids in the state the ability to finish on a win or at least in a competitive game.

Reactions: I2R I
Doesn't MSHAA start getting a piece of the gate when districts start? There is no gate when games don't get played. This more than anything else would appear to be the only thing that catches their attention.
No its split between the schools in the first round.

I like mine better... Our current system is solid with it's largest flaw being we get our state title game in the Quarter finals or semi-finals.

The biggest lie we tend to believe is the deal with travel?
Approx. number of away events.
Volleyball 15 - Football 5.
Basket Ball 14 - Wrestling 15
Track-12 Base Ball/Soft Ball 12-15

So, I suggest use our current score system. Then after week 9 games the top half are playing to advance and the bottom half are playing a final game (we could somewhat consider geography with the bottom half teams) So our bracket would be:
1 vs 16, 1 vs 15 (or 1 vs 32, 2 vs 31, 3 vs 30) and so on. THE BOTTOM half would be 31 vs 32, 29 vs 30 (or 63 vs 64, ...57 vs 58) we would get our top 4 teams in the Semi-Finals, the bottom half would finish with a competitive game.
.....Imagine the El Dorado Springs at East Newt game, for a chance to play Lamar, a team that drubbed EN last Friday Lamar coasted to a 35-0 half-time lead and it wasnt that close.

I like mine better... Our current system is solid with it's largest flaw being we get our state title game in the Quarter finals or semi-finals.

The biggest lie we tend to believe is the deal with travel?
Approx. number of away events.
Volleyball 15 - Football 5.
Basket Ball 14 - Wrestling 15
Track-12 Base Ball/Soft Ball 12-15

So, I suggest use our current score system. Then after week 9 games the top half are playing to advance and the bottom half are playing a final game (we could somewhat consider geography with the bottom half teams) So our bracket would be:
1 vs 16, 1 vs 15 (or 1 vs 32, 2 vs 31, 3 vs 30) and so on. THE BOTTOM half would be 31 vs 32, 29 vs 30 (or 63 vs 64, ...57 vs 58) we would get our top 4 teams in the Semi-Finals, the bottom half would finish with a competitive game.
.....Imagine the El Dorado Springs at East Newt game, for a chance to play Lamar, a team that drubbed EN last Friday Lamar coasted to a 35-0 half-time lead and it wasnt that close.
What's the big deal about needing the best 2 teams in the finals? No bracket does that. The MLB or NFL playoffs could have the same issue. The objective is to effectively determine a champion. And any single elimination bracket accomplished that. Who should be #2 or #3 or whatever is irrelevant.

Like the system that was in place from 1988-2007 or whatever?
Just with the 4 teams per district like that but it would be bracketed like it is now. Play whoever you want first 9 games of the season. You would then have districts, district championships, sectionals, quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals.

Reactions: Treadmill
I think Missouri's playoff system, while a good attempt to be like other sports and have a true bracket, could be modified and improved. It's no secret this first round is a joke and the forfeits will only continue to rise. I like Illinois' playoff system, 32 teams, based on record, seeded in two brackets of 16 (based on geography). I believe Class 7 and Class 8 might be a 32 team bracket since most are in the northern part of Illinois anyway. I do think Missouri's point system is better than just going off record like Illinois does (rewards soft schedules, etc), most 5-4 teams in ILL make the playoffs. The same could be true for Missouri. I also don't like that Illinois schools have no idea what Class they are until the 256 qualifiers are announced. I say we keep the classes from preseason, and then use the point system to take the top 32 schools in each class. Then divide them up into 2 geographic brackets (East/West or North/South) to prevent true cross-state travel 4 weekends in a row.

Here's what Class 3 looked like: There was an imbalance in district points, Districts 1 - 4 (the "east") had way more than 16 teams represented out of 32, so I had to poach a few to go to the West bracket.
East Bracket
#1 St. Mary's vs #16 Orchard Farm
#8 Priory vs #9 Cardinal Ritter
#4 Kennett vs #13 Sullivan
#5 Lutheran North vs #12 Normandy

#2 Valle Catholic vs #15 Westminster
#7 St. Clair vs # 10 Dexter
#3 Park Hills vs #14 Winfield
#6 Ste. Genevieve vs #11 Potosi

West Bracket
#1 Odessa vs #16 Buffalo
#8 Owensville vs #9 Chillicothe
#4 St. Pius KC vs #13 Seneca
#5 Center vs #12 Mountain Grove

#2 Aurora vs #15 Pleasant Hill
#7 Blair Oaks vs #10 Boonville
#3 Mexico vs #14 Oak Grove
#6 Summit Christian vs #11 Hollister

Is it perfect? No. Illinois brackets are often times not completely 50% balanced with the best teams. Geography has to come into play in my mind. Doing all 32 teams together could create some nightmare trips on repeated weekends. But you certainly could try if everyone was agreeable.
Are the seeds perfect? Of course not. There's been many years where East St. Louis is a lower seed thanks to a 5-4 or 6-3 record and they blitz everyone.

I do like the formula dictating seeding. Something has to, and I think it's better than straight record. Look at a team like Cardinal Ritter...I think we can all agree they are top 32 Class 3 team, and probably a top 16 team. With a 3-6 record they'd no chance in ILL to make the playoffs, the formula rewards their schedule.

Discuss...
You still get all the blow outs because schools will play the cupcakes in the regular season to get wins and no losses to make the play-offs. Especially the independent schools.

What's the big deal about needing the best 2 teams in the finals? No bracket does that. The MLB or NFL playoffs could have the same issue. The objective is to effectively determine a champion. And any single elimination bracket accomplished that. Who should be #2 or #3 or whatever is irrelevant.
That is silly. So in College football we should take the one seed and then let's take numbers 10-15 & 20 then have a 4 team playoff? MLB etc are all in divisions and conferences created by one entity (MLB-NFL) High school sports are not. Goal should be to get the best teams the deepest, anything less by design, is a flawed system. Thus the scoring system and or the number beside the team when the playoffs (districts for football) start.

Reactions: touchdownsilly
That is silly. So in College football we should take the one seed and then let's take numbers 10-15 & 20 then have a 4 team playoff? MLB etc are all in divisions and conferences created by one entity (MLB-NFL) High school sports are not. Goal should be to get the best teams the deepest, anything less by design, is a flawed system. Thus the scoring system and or the number beside the team when the playoffs (districts for football) start.
The college football playoff is not an even comparable. It is entirely subjective as to who the teams in the "playoff" are.
The goal of Missouri's system is NOT to get the best teams the deepest. It is to determine a champion. Let the ones that can't cut it spend their off seasons arguing about who #2 is.

The college football playoff is not an even comparable. It is entirely subjective as to who the teams in the "playoff" are.
The goal of Missouri's system is NOT to get the best teams the deepest. It is to determine a champion. Let the ones that can't cut it spend their off seasons arguing about who #2 is.
Yes, because finishing second or third is no better than finishing last.

That sounds like Ricky Bobby, if you aren't first you are last.

I call BS.

Do you actually think from high school and for the rest of ones life they do not care if they lost the district title as compared to lost in the semi-finals? I do think it matters, I really do.
Let's try this,
"Yes my Senior year we lost in the district semi-finals but we lost to a team that advance to the quarter finals"
vs
"My senior year we were pretty good, we lost in the quarter finals."

Which one lets you know they actually had pretty darn good team?

Yes, because finishing second or third is no better than finishing last.

That sounds like Ricky Bobby, if you aren't first you are last.

I call BS.

Do you actually think from high school and for the rest of ones life they do not care if they lost the district title as compared to lost in the semi-finals? I do think it matters, I really do.
Let's try this,
"Yes my Senior year we lost in the district semi-finals but we lost to a team that advance to the quarter finals"
vs
"My senior year we were pretty good, we lost in the quarter finals."

Which one lets you know they actually had pretty darn good team?
Then they need to add a loser's bracket like wrestling has. And play it clear out until everybody has placed, 1-64.

Yep and i've seen some stacked districts in my day.
But why? Why are we penalizing excellent teams just because of location? To me, It is an elementary set up to think, "we must have teams near each other play each other first". What the state seeks is a team from each area rather than the best teams. I always thought a playoff was to find the best teams and then they battle it out.

But why? Why are we penalizing excellent teams just because of location? To me, It is an elementary set up to think, "we must have teams near each other play each other first". What the state seeks is a team from each area rather than the best teams. I always thought a playoff was to find the best teams and then they battle it out.
I get it. Thayer ran into valle. They won't be class 1 ever again. Last year was the year but Windsor got in the way.

Try being in a district with Adrian, Rich Hill, Appleton City and Osceola when all were (rightfully) ranked in the top 10.

Adrian lost to Rich Hill 7-6 in 1999. RH wins the state title.
Adrian lost to Midway first round of playoffs 1996 after beating them in regular season. Midway crushes everyone else on way to title.

I understand.

It's better than Thayer hosting Miller tonight.

Reactions: runbillyrun
Here is what the 16 districts would look like. They are in seed order.

Class 1
District 1- Hayti, Portageville, Caruthersville, Malden
District 2- St. Vincent, Scott City, Charleston, Chafee
District 3 – St. Pius X, Brentwood, Crystal City, Principia
District 4 – Monroe City, Mark Twain, Louisiana, Van-Far
District 5 –Highland, Scotland County, South Shelby, Paris
District 6 –Marceline, Westran, Salisbury
District 7 – Fayette, Sweet Springs, Harrisburg, Slater
District 8 –South Callaway, Tolton Catholic, Tipton, Russellville
District 9 – Thayer, Ash Grove, Cabool, Miller
District 10 – Marionville, Diamond, Sarcoxie, Pierce City
District 11- Skyline, Windsor, Lincoln, Cole Camp
District 12 -Adrian, Midway, Sherwood, Crest Ridge
District 13 – University Academy, Polo, Wellington-Napoleon, Carrollton
District 14 – Mid-Buchanan, East-Buchanan, West Platte, North Platte
District 15 – Penney, Gallatin, Maysville, Plattsburg
District 16 – Milan, South Harrison, Putnam County, Princeton

Class 2
District 1 – NMCC, Kelly, East Prairie
District 2 – Jefferson, Grandview, Cuba
District 3 - Lift for Life, Carnahan, Lutheran South
District 4 – Lutheran, Duchesne, Hermann, Borgia
District 5 - Bowling Green, Montgomery County, North Callaway
District 6 – Palmyra, Macon, Clark County
District 7 – Hallsville, Centralia, MMA
District 8 – Warsaw, California, Versailles
District 9 – Ava, Liberty, Willow Springs, Houston
District 10 - Fair Grove, Strafford, Catholic
District 11 – Forsyth, East Newton, Mount Vernon, Clever
District 12 – Lamar, Stockton, El Dorado Springs
District 13 – Butler, Holden, Knob Noster, Lone Jack
District 14 - Pembroke Hill, St. Michael’s, Hogan Prep
District 15 – Higginsville, Richmond, Lexington
District 16 – Maryville, Trenton, Lathrop, Lawson

Class 3
District 1 - Kennett, Dexter, Doniphan
District 2 – Park Hills Central, Potosi, Fredericktown
District 3 – Valle Catholic, Ste. Genevieve, Herculaneum
District 4 – St. Clair, Priory, Westminster Christian
District 5 – St. Mary’s, Roosevelt, Bayless
District 6 – Lutheran North, Cardinal Ritter, Normandy
District 7 – Orchard Farm, Winfield, St. Charles West, Wright City
District 8 – Mexico, Boonville, Southern Boone, Fulton
District 9 – Owensville, Sullivan, Salem, St. James
District 10 – Blair Oaks, Eldon, Osage
District 11 – Hollister, Mountain Grove, Buffalo, Reeds Spring
District 12 – Aurora, Seneca, Cassville
District 13 – Odessa, Oak Grove, Pleasant Hill
District 14 – Center, Summit Christian, Central
District 15 – St. Pius X, Benton, Northeast
District 16 – Chillicothe, Savannah, Cameron

Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Class 4
District 1 – North County, Farmington, Sikeston, Perryville
District 2 – Hillsboro, Festus, DeSoto
District 3 – Union, Pacific, Windsor
District 4 – Vashon, Affton, Gateway
District 5 – MICDS, University City, John Burroughs, Clayton
District 6 – University City, Jennings, Soldan
District 7 – McCluer, Hazelwood East, Riverview Gardens, McCluer North
District 8 – Parkway North, St. Dominic, Parkway Central, St. Charles
District 9 – West Plains, Logan-Rogersville, Marshfield, Hillcrest
District 10 –McDonald County, Carl Junction, Monett
District 11 –Nevada, Bolivar, Harrisonville, Warrensburg
District 12 – Lincoln College Prep, Grandview, East
District 13 – Lafayette, Winnetonka, Van Horn
District 14 – Smithville, Excelsior Springs, Kearney
District 15 – Jefferson City, Moberly, Marshall
District 16 – Hannibal, Kirksville, Warrenton

Class 5
District 1 – Jackson, Poplar Bluff, Cape Central
District 2 – Seckman, Fox, Mehlville, Oakville
District 3 – Rockwood Summit, Horton Watkins, Parkway South, Webster Groves
District 4 – Eureka, Parkway West, Lafayette
District 5 – Chaminade, Francis Howell North, Ritenour
District 6 – Ft Zumwalt North, Ft Zumwalt South, Francis Howell Central, Ft Zumwalt East
District 7 – Holt, Washington, Liberty
District 8 – Helias, Battle, Capital City
District 9 – Lebanon, Rolla, Camdenton, Waynesville
District 10 – Glendale, Central, Parkview
District 11 – Carthage, Republic, Willard
District 12 – Webb City, Branson, Neosho
District 13 – Raytown, Belton, Ruskin, Raytown South
District 14 – Grain Valley, Smith-Cotton, Truman
District 15 – Fort Osage, North Kansas City, William Chrisman
District 16 – Platte County, Staley, Oak Park, St Joe Central

Class 6
District 1 – Marquette, Lindbergh, Northwest, Vianney
District 2 – CBC, DeSmet, Kirkwood, SLUH
District 3 – Francis Howell, Hazelwood Central, Pattonville, Hazelwood West
District 4 – Troy, Timberland, Hickman, Ft Zumwalt West
District 5 – Joplin, Nixa, Kickapoo, Ozark
District 6 – Lee’s Summit North, Ray-Pec, Lee’s Summit West, Lee’s Summit
District 7 – Rockhurst, Rock Bridge, Blue Springs, Blue Springs South
District 8 – Park Hill South, Liberty North, Liberty, Park Hill

I get it. Thayer ran into valle. They won't be class 1 ever again. Last year was the year but Windsor got in the way.

Try being in a district with Adrian, Rich Hill, Appleton City and Osceola when all were (rightfully) ranked in the top 10.

Adrian lost to Rich Hill 7-6 in 1999. RH wins the state title.
Adrian lost to Midway first round of playoffs 1996 after beating them in regular season. Midway crushes everyone else on way to title.

I understand.

It's better than Thayer hosting Miller tonight.
The examples you used, YES you really do understand. Thanks.

Agreed. If you were not the best team out of a four team district you do not deserve to move on.

Many years, it wasn't always clear who the best team in the 4 team district was. In fact, a few of these were determined by coin flip when three of the teams were 2-1 with the same point differentials. The current system is as simple as it gets: win on the field and you get to keep playing.

Reactions: touchdownsilly
Agreed. If you were not the best team out of a four team district you do not deserve to move on.
Same applies if you can’t win best of 6/7/8 team district. What’s the shame if a bottom seed loses to a top seed in a larger district? The only advantage of 16 districts instead of 8 is twice as many teams can claim district titles… double the trophies.

Same applies if you can’t win best of 6/7/8 team district. What’s the shame if a bottom seed loses to a top seed in a larger district? The only advantage of 16 districts instead of 8 is twice as many teams can claim district titles… double the trophies.
And those extra 8 district championships would mean the world to a lot of programs and communities.

And those extra 8 district championships would mean the world to a lot of programs and communities.
Oh the heartfelt cry from the “participation trophy“ crowd: “Hey, we won best out of four. Let’s hurry and put that trophy right there in our trophy case. We are soooooo proud of ourselves!
Why not go to two-team districts so we can have 32 district champs. HOORAH!

Nobody ever rises out of low expectations.

Last edited:
I think adding a losers game after each round would incentivize more people to play through the season and give half the kids in the state the ability to finish on a win or at least in a competitive game.

Here’s what you do:

Eight team “districts” which essentially serve as pool play.. everyone plays three games based on seeding.

Then you have eight brackets.
Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Turquoise, Rubella, Porrn, Black.

Every team would advance to the corresponding bracket at the end of district pool play. The top team would play in the Platinum, the second place would play in the Good bracket, etc, etc.

Each bracket would be double elimination.

Why aren’t we doing this already???

• Haha
Reactions: HoopsTournament
I say take the districts we have now and split into 2 sub districts when they are seeded. Run the point system through districts and reseed for playoffs.

A lot of you say, "We get our champion & that is all that matters."
Then you say,
"I wonder why schools can not field teams"

This is NOT the NFL
and
15-16-17-18 year old kids are not as resilient as grown ass men.
Nor should they be, unless all of our grown men are pansies.

I think our system is good. A little tweaking and maybe it could be better.
After that my biggest thing is STOP using proximity as an excuse.

For example "IF" Webb and Carthage are the two best in class 5, (NOT saying they are, this is an example) Then WHY rob one of them a few more games just because they are 9 miles apart? WHY allow some team from wherever to win a couple of games they do not even deserve to be playing just because the teams in their area are mediocre but only an hour away?
That will never make sense in my mind.

Your right. Except, the state has reduced funding for bus travel. Heck, there are some schools out there that still don't have play clocks or play clocks that work correctly.

Your right. Except, the state has reduced funding for bus travel. Heck, there are some schools out there that still don't have play clocks or play clocks that work correctly.
Travel.
Basketball, Baseball, wrestling, volleyball, & track all make about 15 trips in a season. With about half of those trips during the week.
Football makes what five to eight.

Travel.
Basketball, Baseball, wrestling, volleyball, & track all make about 15 trips in a season. With about half of those trips during the week.
Football makes what five to eight.
Travel for a football team is not at all the same as travel for a basketball team. Football teams have to arrive 2.5-3 hours before the game. What is best for those other sports really doesn't have anything to do with football. That's why we have the goofy ass system we have, is because we "needed" to make it like basketball.
The ability for people to field teams doesn't have a damn thing to do with whether or not the subjective "best teams" play in the state title game. Most of the kids that choose not to play don't have any idea who played in the state title game.
"After that my biggest thing is STOP using proximity as an excuse." I'm sure you do want this argument to disappear. Wouldn't that be convenient, since you have yet to find a decent rebuttal for it. Like saying "just shut up."

I might like to see MSHSAA try to move the semifinal games, even the quarterfinals, to neutral sites to cut down on travel, especially for Friday night games. Might not work for smaller classes, but I’m certain there are plenty of neutral venues for 4, 5 and 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
Travel for a football team is not at all the same as travel for a basketball team. Football teams have to arrive 2.5-3 hours before the game. What is best for those other sports really doesn't have anything to do with football. That's why we have the goofy ass system we have, is because we "needed" to make it like basketball.
The ability for people to field teams doesn't have a damn thing to do with whether or not the subjective "best teams" play in the state title game. Most of the kids that choose not to play don't have any idea who played in the state title game.
"After that my biggest thing is STOP using proximity as an excuse." I'm sure you do want this argument to disappear. Wouldn't that be convenient, since you have yet to find a decent rebuttal for it. Like saying "just shut up."
"decent rebuttal" there is no decent rebuttal to an irrelevant excuse. Yes football teams do leave earlier (Saturday games are very routine)
"doesn't have anything to do with football - the comment is always "expense" and I am 100% certain if you travel 15 times and I travel 6, I am going to spend less or about the same.

"Ability to field a team" ..... My data is;
A. we have men only celebrating the champion and the numbers are in decline. Where is your data?

"decent rebuttal" there is no decent rebuttal to an irrelevant excuse. Yes football teams do leave earlier (Saturday games are very routine)
"doesn't have anything to do with football - the comment is always "expense" and I am 100% certain if you travel 15 times and I travel 6, I am going to spend less or about the same.

"Ability to field a team" ..... My data is;
A. we have men only celebrating the champion and the numbers are in decline. Where is your data?
I said nothing about expense. Doesn't factor into my opinion at all.
Data? What you provided is not data. It might be considered a hypothesis, at best.

Last edited:
No way. Let the kids move on to winter sports. Why does a 1 or 2 win team need to finish on a win? I think it's already ridiculous that a team can miss 2 weeks of winter sports and not even have a district title to show for it. The overlap is hurting athletes in general, but it's mainly the football athletes because they space their games out a week at a time and have a 1st round game that is irrelevant. In class 5, there were 3 games in the 1st round of districts that were less than 20 points. Those 3 winners lost by 27, 30 and 42 in the next round.

No way. Let the kids move on to winter sports. Why does a 1 or 2 win team need to finish on a win? I think it's already ridiculous that a team can miss 2 weeks of winter sports and not even have a district title to show for it. The overlap is hurting athletes in general, but it's mainly the football athletes because they space their games out a week at a time and have a 1st round game that is irrelevant. In class 5, there were 3 games in the 1st round of districts that were less than 20 points. Those 3 winners lost by 27, 30 and 42 in the next round.
I also advocate for starting the playoffs two weeks earlier... we shouldn't be playing games in December.

And I also think winter sports go on to long. I think December through late February early March should be their window.

I'm just saying what has been said before. I think there could be a lot of changes made. I posted on this other times. It doesn't matter if we actually find the 3rd best team or 4th best team. Kids are not playing because of that. There is a bunch of reasons kids aren't playing, but could be certain it's not who actually is 3rd. All that matters is the team that gets 1st.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT