ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar football history question

Craig Hull

Nov 22, 2014
Looking for someone who has Lamar football history for the 1962 season.
Been working on a research project for several years and ran into a missing score.
I am compiling every score of every game in the history of Carl Junction football.
I am missing the November 2, 1962 CJ at Lamar game. Lamar won, but cannot find the score. Have been on the Joplin Globe microfilm at the Joplin Public Library and on Newspaper Archives and the Saturday, November 3, 1962 edition is missing on both mediums.
Any help would be appreciated.
Once this score and one more from the 1960 season is found, I will have every score of every game from 1960-present.
I have found scores as early as 1922, but I’m missing much of the 30’s and 40’s. Have some years from the 50’s done already and will knock out that decade before I move into the 40’s.

I wish I knew what year the school opened and what year the program started, it would help to know how far back to look.
Found the 1922 season in a 1922-1923 yearbook at the Webb City Library. They had a scattering of CJ yearbooks from 1922 through the 70s, but not a complete set like they have of Webb City yearbooks.
Anvil Welch provided a ton of information. He had team records and the name of every head coach going back to 1940. So I have team records and coaches names, but I want final scores, opponents, game date and location to make it a complete all-time record.

Will be doing boys and girls basketball and baseball when I’m done with football.

Also compiling football and baseball records of my alma mater (Field Kindley High School-Coffeyville) while I’ve been doing this project. I have managed to get every baseball score for FKHS from 1971 (first year) to 1987, missing 1988, have 1989 through my graduation year of 1994.

Do you have the picture of the 1922 team? I guess you do if you have the yearbook.

It is crazy how few schools even have their own scores prior to around 2000. When Sarah Wall was the volleyball coach at CJ she compiled a lot of the volleyball scores for CJ. That program started in the early 80s.

Did you check the Lamar Democrat (which is a hilarious name if you know how the politics of Lamar have evolved) for that score?

I checked Newspaper Archive for the Lamar Democrat and there is no mention of the newspaper. Annual subscription to that website is $180 so it’s out of my budget for the time being.
The Carthage Press only goes back to 1967 on Newspaper Archive. They had a lot of scores from the area and game recaps in the Saturday morning edition.
The Newspaper Archive is a wonderful resource for research but it is missing a lot of things too. I was running into a problem where some Saturday morning Joplin Globe papers from the 70s and 60s had only 8 pages available knowing full well those were 16 page editions. It’s as if they randomly scanned pages into the website.
Microfilm is wonderful also, but can be more time consuming.

I took some interesting screen shots of some articles I came across. I planned to share some of them here but apparently I’m not smart enough to post pictures on this message board.

Springfield-Leader-and-Press-Sat-Nov-3-1962.jpg

Springfield Leader and Press from November 3, 1962

Reactions: Arcola and _slo_mo_
Outstanding… thank you very much for sharing.

I tried finding Springfield News Leader on Newspaper Archive and it wasn’t available.

I do appreciate your help on this one.

Outstanding… thank you very much for sharing.

I tried finding Springfield News Leader on Newspaper Archive and it wasn’t available.

I do appreciate your help on this one.
If you are using a library access to get it, it may not. If you have a subscription straight to neswpapers.com, it is.

Reactions: bullitpdq68
I’m aware MSHSAA introduced a playoff system in 1968. CJ football has earned five district titles since the inception of the playoffs and twice made it to the semifinals.
Unless there was something in place like I discovered in Kansas, it’s unlikely a mythical state championship will be found.
I’m aware of back-to-back undefeated seasons at CJ in the early 50’s.

Prior to the KSHSAA introducing its playoff system in 1969, Kansas crowned its football state champions as determined by a vote of the large newspapers across the state (Kansas AP poll). Can you imagine the debate and turmoil today if sportswriters state wide determined state champions by voting in a poll?
So if you ever see any teams in Kansas claim state football championships prior to 1969, it was a state championship as voted on by the state sports media.

Here’s a story from 2013 where it is mentioned:

Last edited:
Reactions: AC100
I’m aware MSHSAA introduced a playoff system in 1968. CJ football has earned five district titles since the inception of the playoffs and twice made it to the semifinals.
Unless there was something in place like I discovered in Kansas, it’s unlikely a mythical state championship will be found.
I’m aware of back-to-back undefeated seasons at CJ in the early 50’s.

Prior to the KSHSAA introducing its playoff system in 1969, Kansas crowned its football state champions as determined by a vote of the large newspapers across the state (Kansas AP poll). Can you imagine the debate and turmoil today if sportswriters state wide determined state champions by voting in a poll?
So if you ever see any teams in Kansas claim state football championships prior to 1969, it was a state championship as voted on by the state sports media.

Here’s a story from 2013 where it is mentioned:

e868eeaa-d0ba-4560-a447-092a909539fa_text.gif
fa53ef88-b8fe-4e81-ad08-98a8a6ed8170_text.gif

Reactions: Arcola
I'm really sure that Pattonsburg/Union Star score was a 6-man score.
Breckenridge had football years ago? I had NO idea.

I'm really sure that Pattonsburg/Union Star score was a 6-man score.
Breckenridge had football years ago? I had NO idea.
Pattonsburg/Union Star was a 6 man score from the Platte Valley Conference. Breckenridge played 11 man in the Central River Conference through the 71 season.
In 1962, they were undefeated beating Lawson, Wellington, Norborne, Braymer, Oak Grove, Orrick, Polo and Hardin.

Yes pattonsburg and union star were 6 man. There was a small 6 man conference back then.
In 62, the Platte Valley Conference was Easton, Fillmore, North Andrew, Osborn, Pattonsburg, South Nodaway, Stewartsville and Union Star and was a 6 man league although Fillmore and Osborn did not play football that year. Fillmore had in the past.
Easton is part of East Buchanan and was the birthplace of Henry Iba.
Fillmore is a part, I think, of North Andrew.

Last edited:
Man I love digging thru old scores, little old Wheaton use to field a 11 man football team back in the 1920's they were in the same conference With Monett and Joplin. Hard to imagine that today.

And while my focus has been on Carl Junction football history (I started this project back in 2000 when I still worked at the Globe) it is interesting reading the game capsules from other games and scanning scores from all the area teams that reported scores to the Globe staff back then.

It’s been interesting to read about who played who back them, the conference alignments and which teams enjoyed success over the years.

It’s also interesting to realize (talking about the 1960s) teams played 10 games (before the playoff system began in 1968) yet the first Friday of the season was the second Friday In September. I’m showing season openers on September 13 or 14 some years. Now, that’s either week three or four depending on how the calendar falls.

Reactions: bullitpdq68
Looking for someone who has Lamar football history for the 1962 season.
Been working on a research project for several years and ran into a missing score.
I am compiling every score of every game in the history of Carl Junction football.
I am missing the November 2, 1962 CJ at Lamar game. Lamar won, but cannot find the score. Have been on the Joplin Globe microfilm at the Joplin Public Library and on Newspaper Archives and the Saturday, November 3, 1962 edition is missing on both mediums.
Any help would be appreciated.
Once this score and one more from the 1960 season is found, I will have every score of every game from 1960-present.
I have found scores as early as 1922, but I’m missing much of the 30’s and 40’s. Have some years from the 50’s done already and will knock out that decade before I move into the 40’s.
I went back and did a quick look and the Cassville Republican and Jasper County news has several Scores for Carl Junction as they Played Cassville and Jasper in the Pentaco League back then in the 1930 and 40's.

The Springfield News -leader has a nov 19 ,1930 Page 8 Picture of the Carl Junction Pentaco League Champions, and a small write up Looks like they went undefeated and allowed only on touchdown to Jasper and they scored over 140 points that season all the scores are there.

Interesting note it talks about the Lamar High school Bengals, Joplin was referred to as Miners, in another story on that page. Well it is even on the top of the page.

Last edited:
Reactions: AC100
Outstanding… I would appreciate it if you could find a way to share any of that information with me.

Is there a way to private message, or perhaps use Facebook Messenger and send me information? This is one of many reasons why I just use my name instead of a username, in this day and age of social media everyone knows everyone and I’ve been involved with sports in Southwest Missouri, Southeast Kansas and Northeastern Oklahoma for so long people know who I am.

Spoke with Anvil yesterday and he told me a common friend, Mike and Cheryl Shores in Lockwood, have completed a thorough history of the Lockwood boys tournament going back some 80 years. The Shores are wonderful people and I always enjoyed speaking with them when they called in scores to the Globe.

Outstanding… I would appreciate it if you could find a way to share any of that information with me.

Is there a way to private message, or perhaps use Facebook Messenger and send me information? This is one of many reasons why I just use my name instead of a username, in this day and age of social media everyone knows everyone and I’ve been involved with sports in Southwest Missouri, Southeast Kansas and Northeastern Oklahoma for so long people know who I am.

Spoke with Anvil yesterday and he told me a common friend, Mike and Cheryl Shores in Lockwood, have completed a thorough history of the Lockwood boys tournament going back some 80 years. The Shores are wonderful people and I always enjoyed speaking with them when they called in scores to the Globe.
Craig, I just sent you a friend request, I will see what I can do to share it. I found on page 7 Nov 29 1930 Springfield News Leader that they refer to CJ as the Chiefs...

Man I love digging thru old scores, little old Wheaton use to field a 11 man football team back in the 1920's they were in the same conference With Monett and Joplin. Hard to imagine that today.
Wheaton, as well as some other SW MO teams also played 6 man.

Interesting… saw your request and accepted.
Have not been on the site for a year or longer so just saw your posts. I think we have talked before when I was still in Fort Scott. I have delt with Anvil Welch also in the past. I<m retired in Kansas City now but still trying to keep up each season plus do researh. My records on Lamar are not as good as the bigger schools (Joplin, Nevada, Springfield, Neosho, Carthage) but can tell you Lamar dropped football for awhile and restarted in 1946. I have 1947 but has been hard to get complete season scores until 1962. I do most of research & posting for this site Kansas site. http://kansasfootballhistory.com/ . My Missouri records are not as extensive but I do SW Missouri & KC Metro areas better than Central Mo & St Louis areas. If I can help let me know. Will check this site a little more as season is starting .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT