ADVERTISEMENT

Class 1 Co Op State Champs

kaskaskiakid

Nov 14, 2019
I see the Class 1 state champs are S Nodaway/Jefferson (Conception). Just curious and wondering if they are the first co op team to win a state championship?? How far apart are the schools? What is the attendance of each? How many girls from each school on the team? Do they have a JV team?

Good for the girls! Not looking to stir anything up. I like the co op rule if it gets more kids an opportunity. Main;y wondering if they are the first one. I don't think the rule has been around a long time.

I see the Class 1 state champs are S Nodaway/Jefferson (Conception). Just curious and wondering if they are the first co op team to win a state championship?? How far apart are the schools? What is the attendance of each? How many girls from each school on the team? Do they have a JV team?

Good for the girls! Not looking to stir anything up. I like the co op rule if it gets more kids an opportunity. Main;y wondering if they are the first one. I don't think the rule has been around a long time.
Jefferson was a stand alone superpower for many years. This area has always been a hotbed of HSBB talent boys and girls. The coop is called Platte Valley and the two schools (Barnard and Conception Junction MO) are 17 miles apart.

Back in the 70s and 80s it was NORTHEAST NODAWAY (Ravenwood MO) that was the superpower in this area in fact one of the most famous Girls HSBB HCs of all time came from this town: Ken Kerwin.

To my knowledge this is the first coop to win a girls title will have to look up boys.

Which school gets the trophy?
sea love GIF by Denyse

Reactions: Expect2Win
Which school gets the trophy?
On the MSHSAA site, usually each co-op will have a primary, it’s usually the school that has the most kids, and more often than not, that’s where the trophies go.

East Atchison for instance(tarkio/fairfax) Tarkio is the larger school by quite a bit and they are listed as the main one with MSHSAA in that co-op but I guess it could really come down to which school the respective school boards decided to go with.

Jefferson was a stand alone superpower for many years. This area has always been a hotbed of HSBB talent boys and girls. The coop is called Platte Valley and the two schools (Barnard and Conception Junction MO) are 17 miles apart.

Back in the 70s and 80s it was NORTHEAST NODAWAY (Ravenwood MO) that was the superpower in this area in fact one of the most famous Girls HSBB HCs of all time came from this town: Ken Kerwin.

To my knowledge this is the first coop to win a girls title will have to look up boys.
I recognized Jefferson as a perennial Class 1 boys power. That's what peaked my interest wondering why they couldn't get enough girls to play. I looked up and Barnard has a pop of 2,000. Hard to believe they couldn't come up with enough girls to field a team. But I know of schools here on the southeast side having the same problem. More and more larger schools without JVs. Club VB (and laziness) is killing girls basketball around here.

Reactions: thetophat2021
I recognized Jefferson as a perennial Class 1 boys power. That's what peaked my interest wondering why they couldn't get enough girls to play. I looked up and Barnard has a pop of 2,000. Hard to believe they couldn't come up with enough girls to field a team. But I know of schools here on the southeast side having the same problem. More and more larger schools without JVs. Club VB (and laziness) is killing girls basketball around here.
Barnard has 200 people, not 2,000.

Not familiar with Barnard but, if it is like many small towns I am familiar with, the demographics would indicate that population is mainly past child bearing/rearing years, that age group having fled for employment opportunities long ago. Many small towns now consist mostly seniors, retired and those nearing retirement and the few that provide services for them. I could be wrong in this case but it is a definite trend. I do agree with your views on club vb and lack of interest (you call it laziness).

I renew my motion that Barnard only has 200 people. According to the MSHSAA site Jefferson has 36 for an enrollment and South Nodaway (Barnard) has 30. There are more monks and nuns in Nodaway County than there are students in those high schools.

• Haha
Reactions: thetophat2021
This thread is kinda funny. This team has been to the Final Four for 5 straight years (every year since the co-op was formed at the high school level), won 3 of the last 4 Class 1 titles.... and somehow it is just now being noticed?

This thread is kinda funny. This team has been to the Final Four for 5 straight years (every year since the co-op was formed at the high school level), won 3 of the last 4 Class 1 titles.... and somehow it is just now being noticed?
That reads like the Chiefs current run. :)

I started the thread. No offense, I'm not very familiar with Class 1 on the west side. As I said, I did recognize Jefferson as a power on the boys side and found it odd they couldn't field a girls team alone. I'm seeing a decrease of interest in girls basketball in small towns on the east side, and wondering about the west side.

Maybe if MSHSAA televised the state championships..........:mad:

I started the thread. No offense, I'm not very familiar with Class 1 on the west side. As I said, I did recognize Jefferson as a power on the boys side and found it odd they couldn't field a girls team alone. I'm seeing a decrease of interest in girls basketball in small towns on the east side, and wondering about the west side.

Maybe if MSHSAA televised the state championships..........:mad:
They went to a co-op in every sport, not just girls basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT