ADVERTISEMENT

Drama in Willow Springs

i was replying to thayer having 'success' over a long period.

Does it matter when you play jabronis every week?
Now I get to switch gears and put on my SCA defender hat haha. Thayer usually is at worst the 3rd best team in the SCA in football and basketball while playing up sometimes 2 classes. They rarely win the conference but more often than not they win their district and make a deep run in the playoffs. Of all the teams in the conference Thayer might be the one who most consistently delivers solid teams.

Reactions: TadQueasy
Definitely has helped. Along with the Alton, Kosh, Couch, effect. They have done a great job of getting kids from all of these areas that look good in green.
Thayer won the SCA in basketball my sr yr back in 09 on the back of a guard from Mammoth Springs...

This is the SCA's version of the private school recruiting problem haha

Thayer won the SCA in basketball my sr yr back in 09 on the back of a guard from Mammoth Springs...

This is the SCA's version of the private school recruiting problem haha
Yep, they have it figured out. Pretty sure one of their better players this year is an Alton kid.

c3c64f25-9861-4a93-9d56-449f7a6218b7_text.gif

ce0a9791-59bf-49f9-b7dd-3e5d5f467d8d_text.gif

i was replying to thayer having 'success' over a long period.

Does it matter when you play jabronis every week?
Last 20 years:
Thayer
0 state titles
2 title game losses
2 semifinal losses
5 quarterfinal losses
1 district title game loss
6 district semifinal losses
4 losses sometime before district semi/did not make playoffs (depending on the system)

Adrian
0 state titles
1 title game loss
2 semifinal losses
3 quarterfinal losses
4 district title game losses
4 losses sometime before distrct semi/ did not make playoffs (depending on the system)

Last 20 years:
Thayer
0 state titles
2 title game losses
2 semifinal losses
5 quarterfinal losses
4 losses sometime before district semi/did not make playoffs (depending on the system)

Adrian
0 state titles
1 title game loss
2 semifinal losses
3 quarterfinal losses
4 losses sometime before distrct semi/ did not make playoffs (depending on the system)
why you pick 20 years? hah

Last 20 years:
Thayer
0 state titles
2 title game losses
2 semifinal losses
5 quarterfinal losses

Adrian
0 state titles
1 title game loss
2 semifinal losses
3 quarterfinal losses
Thank you for doing this incredibly petty and satisfying dirty work haha.

FWIW, in most years either on the gridiron or hardwood I'm taking Thayer over Adrian.

As a Mid-Mo guy, when you think of SCA football traditionally - Salem and Grove comes to mind. In hoops, you think Grove and Willow Springs.

Thank you for doing this incredibly petty and satisfying dirty work haha.

FWIW, in most years either on the gridiron or hardwood I'm taking Thayer over Adrian.
id take that bet. Adrian was 'down' for about 10 years there when thayer was 'up' but starting in the 80s i dont think they'd be able to handle Adrian most years. Too physical

Doofus should go back 30 or 40 years since others were talking 80s in this thread. It'd look a lot different for sure

Lots of folks made the mistake of underestimating Thayers physicality during Webers run there. I would bet Thayer would hold their own

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
They held their own against Orrick in 07 & 08 when the bearcats manhandled the rest of the state
i saw one of t hose games too.

Man talk about a team that just fell off the map. (orrick)

Can you imagine the Thayers and Adrians if we had a class .5 back in the day.

Reactions: _slo_mo_
Thayer: football/basketball school
Ava: football school
Liberty: football school
Willow: basketball school
Cabool: ?
Houston: ?
Grove: football school (not saying they’re not good at other sports but their focus is definitely football, don’t even argue it)
Salem: football?
I guess I am an old SOB, but when I think about the SCA Houston always comes to mind as a football school to me. One of the reason is our head football coach when I was in school in Monett came from Houston Ron Richardson. It was a big deal in Monett when we landed him because he had Houston in the playoffs two years in a row and Harold Noirfalise was a bruising back from Houston in 78 and 79. And funny thing back then Houston was a much bigger school district than little old Monett. We had been in class 2 while Houston was Class 3 with only 4 classes.
Then in the early 2000 Wes Beachler was there terrorizing the big 8 schools, his Houston teams would knock out a Very good MV team several times in the playoffs and Houston was in the Semis in 05 and 06.
I guess Houston biggest problem is they just could never hold onto the really good coaches they had.

By Chaotic - "Now if by success you mean “state championships”, I would counter that by saying if that’s what you count as success, then there aren’t any successful SCA programs in football.

Cabool, 1968 - State Champs

• Haha
Since we brought up Cabool, I think had they been able to leave the SCA you might have convinced Spit to stay around. And he's probably the best candidate you could hope to land at Cabool atm. MGHS I would be interested to hear your opinion on Cabool's proposal to leave the SCA that the board shot down. I find it interesting that on one hand you would advise coaches to avoid a place like Cabool, but I have a suspicion that you would find them leaving the SCA "cowardly," despite the fact it's a conference they really aren't suited for regardless of the fact they've always been in it.

IMO, Cabool leaving the SCA is in the same vein as a coach avoiding a school bc he theoretically can't win there. Would be contradictory to call leaving the conference cowardly only to then say avoiding difficult jobs is smart.

I have no additional thoughts on Willow, other than they do this about every 3-4 years. Every other SCA school has had big up-cycles in terms of success since Ary left Willow, other than Willow. The problem is the admin, but that ain't gonna change. And for a "basketball" school I'm curious where all that success on the hardwood is, cause it's not been there in my lifetime.
I don’t blame Spitz for leaving at all. A good career move.

I’m split on Cabool leaving the SCA. Some pro’s and some con’s for the programs.

Overall the distance and travel IMO would hurt Cabool long term in most sports. I know Cabool sort of wanted to have its cake and eat it too as well. They made overtures to Cherry pick games to schedule at all the levels within the SCA.

No doubt Cabool is in a tough spot because outside of Thayer the travel distance to C1 schools/Conference is a long haul.

WS being a bball school while the success hasn’t been there it appears that a lot of the athletic players see that as their sport because they vacate the gridiron.

My point on Cabool being a Bball school is that I think several administrators are more Bball oriented and that is their mindset and ultimate goal.

Main thing is that basketball is the priority. Period. That’s the mentality at Willow, from the administration, to the coaches, to the student athletes. When it comes to boys sports, basketball does not take a back seat to anything.

Or that’s how it’s been at least in years past.

Maybe with the recent actions, they’re trying to change that.
That is my definition of WS wanting to be and focusing on being a Bball school.

As a Mid-Mo guy, when you think of SCA football traditionally - Salem and Grove comes to mind. In hoops, you think Grove and Willow Springs.
Grove is historically below .500 in basketball record wise in bball

I guess I am an old SOB, but when I think about the SCA Houston always comes to mind as a football school to me. One of the reason is our head football coach when I was in school in Monett came from Houston Ron Richardson. It was a big deal in Monett when we landed him because he had Houston in the playoffs two years in a row and Harold Noirfalise was a bruising back from Houston in 78 and 79. And funny thing back then Houston was a much bigger school district than little old Monett. We had been in class 2 while Houston was Class 3 with only 4 classes.
Then in the early 2000 Wes Beachler was there terrorizing the big 8 schools, his Houston teams would knock out a Very good MV team several times in the playoffs and Houston was in the Semis in 05 and 06.
I guess Houston biggest problem is they just could never hold onto the really good coaches they had.
The Sca population wise has shrunk since those days and teams west have grown

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
By Chaotic - "Now if by success you mean “state championships”, I would counter that by saying if that’s what you count as success, then there aren’t any successful SCA programs in football.

Cabool, 1968 - State Champs
I am aware that Cabool won a state title 56 years ago. That’s not relevant to SCA football in this millennium though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT