ADVERTISEMENT

Drama in Willow Springs

MANY parents and players are not happy about removing Travis Payne as Head Coach and plan to protest to school board and administration. Could get interesting.
Angry Gaspar Noe GIF by Arrow Video

Reactions: Arcola
They may but he might as well move on. Once administration makes their minds up it usually isn't changing. If the board does change their minds administration will be pissed at you.

They may but he might as well move on. Once administration makes their minds up it usually isn't changing. If the board does change their minds administration will be pissed at you.
Exactly. So even if the people mad get their way then you are a lame duck.

My Senior year Monett didn't renew the contract of a very popular coach. We all went around town and organized a petition and got over 300 people to attend a board meeting in April. The board facing all those people offered the coach a contract right then and there. The coach ended up staying and retiring from Monett and was successful. The Superintended would leave a year later, the board would get turned over.

This was the first winless season in decades for Willow.
They played younger players in key positions over better, older players just to get them experience.

The result? Losing 50-6 at half almost every week just to get some younger kids more experience. Willow was already a young team. Coach didn’t try to win games this year. Can’t build a program if every year is going to be “these guys will be good in a few years”

Wyatt won more with less in his one year at Willow than Payne did this year.

Reactions: thetophat2021
This was the first winless season in decades for Willow.
They played younger players in key positions over better, older players just to get them experience.

The result? Losing 50-6 at half almost every week just to get some younger kids more experience. Willow was already a young team. Coach didn’t try to win games this year. Can’t build a program if every year is going to be “these guys will be good in a few years”

Wyatt won more with less in his one year at Willow than Payne did this year.
This is just not completely accurate. They did not play younger kids over better older ones. There were very few older players. And the couple older kids there were not making a difference in anything. The coach was wise for rolling with younger kids to try and build for the future.

And you cannot compare this year to wyatts year. Wyatt had some talent that all graduated last yr. Wyatt would have went 0-10 this yr too.

This is just not completely accurate. They did not play younger kids over better older ones. There were very few older players. And the couple older kids there were not making a difference in anything. The coach was wise for rolling with younger kids to try and build for the future.

And you cannot compare this year to wyatts year. Wyatt had some talent that all graduated last yr. Wyatt would have went 0-10 this yr too.

If what you are saying in completely accurate, than how did a senior who hadn’t played since middle school make 2nd team all SCA on offense and honorable mention on special teams and was arguably the best player on the whole team?

I’m about 90% sure that their leader in both receiving yards and total TDs was a senior who hadn’t played since MS, had multiple receiving TDs, as well as a rushing TD and a couple of passing TDs

Bottom line, Willow wasn’t competitive at all.

Wyatt may not have won a game this year, it’s hard to say.and he definitely had some talent when he was there, but also had a bunch of seniors quit on him, including the best athlete who was their returning QB.

We can agree to disagree but you won’t convince me that Wyatt wouldn’t have gotten better results.

The playcalling this year was some of the most predictable I’ve ever seen.

And the defense couldn’t even stop other teams JV squads.

Again, bottom line, wasn’t getting the job done.

The Willow springs basketball culture doesn’t help the situation any.

Maybe I misunderstood your point. But you said they played younger players over better older players in key positions. Then in your last post you used an example of their best player this year who was a senior and got some postseason awards. He clearly played. So I am not really sure what you mean?

They only had a couple seniors and they got on the field. So who were these older players that got passed over for younger kids?

There is no doubt Wyatt is 10 times the coach as Payne is/was, but unless Wyatt got the basketball players out they were going 0-10 this year. Maybe if the stars all aligned they could have beat Salem, but that is it.

I dont have a problem with them moving on from the coach. They were brutal in every aspect of the game.

I am curious what happens there. As there always are in these situations there are some intriguing rumors swirling around the SCA about the next coach. They better make a good hire or they will be in even a worse situation in the next 4-5 years.

That senior was their best player and he wasn’t playing in a position that would have benefited the team the most.

But my point about his production and his post season awards was in reply to you saying that none of the seniors made much of a difference or something to that effect.

1-9 would have been the best they would have done with Wyatt this year, but I guarantee the halftime score wouldn’t have been 50-6 or worse every week

And I agree. Problem is, idk if anyone would want the job.

Pitts has got good things going at Aurora so even though it’s his alma mater, I just don’t think he would, though I’m sure AD James will put a call into him(hell, I would, you never know)
This would be a step down for spittler, so even with him leaving Cabool, there’s no way.

I don’t think anyone on staff who actually has the experience needed, would want the job

There was a time when Brookshire would have taken the job, but I’m pretty sure that time has come and gone.

I just don’t know who they would hire.

Upside is: the only way to go is up(hopefully)

Chaotic so I am assuming you mean he should have been playing QB. Maybe so. But if he was he would have spent the whole season running for his life. It would not have made a difference in their record IMO.

Chaotic so I am assuming you mean he should have been playing QB. Maybe so. But if he was he would have spent the whole season running for his life. It would not have made a difference in their record IMO.
It wouldn’t have made a difference in their record, no, but if it would have made the team better, and more competitive, then it would have been in the bests interests of the team.

None of this matters now anyhow. Seasons done and over and hopefully the program can move forward.

But to say that they’ve struggled since Ary left, 20 years ago, would be an understatement

Willow had 4 kids make all conference one was a wide receiver that being said he is the only one that plays basketball from what I can tell good athlete know the family outside of him and a couple of other decent athletes that either didn’t play or didn’t do squat to make all conference the talent in willow is not there…..

Coach Payne did NOT move underclassmen ahead of the seniors. We just plain didn't have any. Only 2 seniors came out for football, put in the summer work and 3 more joined DURING THE SEASON (wasn't eligible till week 4). Willow only had 1 or 2 juniors come out. THIRTY FIVE of the team were underclassmen. All but 1 kid was under 200 lbs and they were linemen :O Only 3-4 kids quit. Go back and look at the scores and tell me how many kids stay on a team in a situation like that? So it's not the coach that's the problem, they all played for him.
Give Willow credit for one thing - they didn't mail in their season like some other schools did. Yes it's the worst in school history, but it took over 100 years for that to happen. Can anyone else say that?
And also, it wouldn't mattered if Wyatt stayed, Ary or Perkins came back, Bailey or some other high profile coach came, with that kind of roster with no size as well, nobody gonna win.
As far as the upperclassman issue, Willow for whatever reason has a VERY low participation in juniors or seniors in any sport or activity. So is that the football coach's fault or is that a school/culture issue?

That senior was their best player and he wasn’t playing in a position that would have benefited the team the most.

But my point about his production and his post season awards was in reply to you saying that none of the seniors made much of a difference or something to that effect.

1-9 would have been the best they would have done with Wyatt this year, but I guarantee the halftime score wouldn’t have been 50-6 or worse every week

And I agree. Problem is, idk if anyone would want the job.

Pitts has got good things going at Aurora so even though it’s his alma mater, I just don’t think he would, though I’m sure AD James will put a call into him(hell, I would, you never know)
This would be a step down for spittler, so even with him leaving Cabool, there’s no way.

I don’t think anyone on staff who actually has the experience needed, would want the job

There was a time when Brookshire would have taken the job, but I’m pretty sure that time has come and gone.

I just don’t know who they would hire.

Upside is: the only way to go is up(hopefully)
Aurora might not look like that good of a place real soon, they are about to be welcomed back into playing all of the West conference foes yearly. Wait until they have to also play Lamar Mac County Nevada. Those easy wins over Hollister Marshfield Catholic Logan Rogersville will no longer be on their schedule.

Aurora might not look like that good of a place real soon, they are about to be welcomed back into playing all of the West conference foes yearly. Wait until they have to also play Lamar Mac County Nevada. Those easy wins over Hollister Marshfield Catholic Logan Rogersville will no longer be on their schedule.
They didnt always beat those teams either....

They didnt always beat those teams either....
No 100% agree but getting to .500 is going to get a bit harder for them. This year they would have 2 wins for sure, Monett and East Newton, but even those are not for sure had they had to play Lamar Mac and Nevada that can be brutally physical games for sure. So all I am saying is not sure Aurora looks better than Willow right now.

Reactions: MoSooner69

Bears Drop Head Football Coach​

Tue, 01/16/2024 - 2:07pm admin
BY:
AMANDA MENDEZ, PUBLISHER
Football in Willow Springs will be under new leadership next fall, confirms superintendent Dr. Marty Spence. Head football coach Travis Payne has not been reassigned to his coaching position. His contract has not been terminated, Spence said in an interview January 11, and Payne has not tendered a resignation. For the time being, he will continue to teach weightlifting.
Contrary to popular belief, this decision was not a school board action, Spence said. Coaching positions are assigned by the administrative staff.
“I can’t comment too much on personnel matters,” Spence said, “but he was informed he would not be our head football coach.”
Discussion of demotions can be shielded from the public, according to Missouri’s Sunshine Law.
Payne spoke to Howell County News on January 12, and he said he “assumes” last season’s win/loss record is responsible for the decision. The Bears had an excruciating 0-10 season in 2023. They failed to score in four games, and even in their highest scoring game, the Bears still lost to Forsyth 20 to 65 in the first round of district play.
The 2023 season was Payne’s second year leading Bear football. Last year’s record was 3-7.
“In year one, we had a talented group of seniors,” Payne commented. “We won three, had some success. Then, we had some injuries and fell apart at the end of the year. This year, I’m still proud of it. We started the year with two seniors, and that grew to four seniors…Everyone knew it was a rebuilding year…At the end of the year, we had 32 kids walk off the bus. The kids stayed around and fought.”
“This is the best character group of kids I’ve ever had,” Payne said, “a great, great group of kids.”
Payne, whose wife also teaches at Willow Springs Schools, says he does not intend to stay in the district.
“I’m a football coach. That’s what I do,” he commented. “I think my hard work had been transparent…and I know there’s a ton of rumors, but there’s nothing crazy going on. We didn’t win games, and that’s why.”
Both Dr. Spence and Payne commented on the way Bear Nation showed up for the team, even in a year that was hard to watch.
“I’d like to thank the community for their support for the last two years,” Payne told Howell County News. “I can sleep well. I put character before winning, and I’ll be okay. Winning’s not the most important thing. It’s the effort those boys gave.”
“We still had people pulling up their trucks on Friday morning to tailgate,” Spence said. “We know that the community wants to be a good football town…I’m a hometown guy. I bleed maroon. [Athletic Director] Robert [James] is too. We both want the best for Bear Nation.”
“We want a successful program from Mighty Mites through varsity – a program that turns out quality young men that will represent Willow Springs and our values. And we want somebody that will bring some excitement.”
According to Dr. Spence, the announcement comes at this time of year so the district can have as much as time as possible and “the best applicant pool” as they search for a replacement head coach.

BY:
AMANDA MENDEZ, PUBLISHER
Football in Willow Springs will be under new leadership next fall, confirms superintendent Dr. Marty Spence. Head football coach Travis Payne has not been reassigned to his coaching position. His contract has not been terminated, Spence said in an interview January 11, and Payne has not tendered a resignation. For the time being, he will continue to teach weightlifting.
Contrary to popular belief, this decision was not a school board action, Spence said. Coaching positions are assigned by the administrative staff.
“I can’t comment too much on personnel matters,” Spence said, “but he was informed he would not be our head football coach.”
Discussion of demotions can be shielded from the public, according to Missouri’s Sunshine Law.
Payne spoke to Howell County News on January 12, and he said he “assumes” last season’s win/loss record is responsible for the decision. The Bears had an excruciating 0-10 season in 2023. They failed to score in four games, and even in their highest scoring game, the Bears still lost to Forsyth 20 to 65 in the first round of district play.
The 2023 season was Payne’s second year leading Bear football. Last year’s record was 3-7.
“In year one, we had a talented group of seniors,” Payne commented. “We won three, had some success. Then, we had some injuries and fell apart at the end of the year. This year, I’m still proud of it. We started the year with two seniors, and that grew to four seniors…Everyone knew it was a rebuilding year…At the end of the year, we had 32 kids walk off the bus. The kids stayed around and fought.”
“This is the best character group of kids I’ve ever had,” Payne said, “a great, great group of kids.”
Payne, whose wife also teaches at Willow Springs Schools, says he does not intend to stay in the district.
“I’m a football coach. That’s what I do,” he commented. “I think my hard work had been transparent…and I know there’s a ton of rumors, but there’s nothing crazy going on. We didn’t win games, and that’s why.”
Both Dr. Spence and Payne commented on the way Bear Nation showed up for the team, even in a year that was hard to watch.
“I’d like to thank the community for their support for the last two years,” Payne told Howell County News. “I can sleep well. I put character before winning, and I’ll be okay. Winning’s not the most important thing. It’s the effort those boys gave.”
“We still had people pulling up their trucks on Friday morning to tailgate,” Spence said. “We know that the community wants to be a good football town…I’m a hometown guy. I bleed maroon. [Athletic Director] Robert [James] is too. We both want the best for Bear Nation.”
“We want a successful program from Mighty Mites through varsity – a program that turns out quality young men that will represent Willow Springs and our values. And we want somebody that will bring some excitement.”
According to Dr. Spence, the announcement comes at this time of year so the district can have as much as time as possible and “the best applicant pool” as they search for a replacement head coach.
Good luck getting apps !

BY:
AMANDA MENDEZ, PUBLISHER
Wow the coach sounds like a class act great interview and said all the right things.

Going 0-10 is one thing, but going 0-10 the way that they did this year isn’t something you see in the SCA very often.

I think there was only 1 game that they didn’t get turboed. And only 2 games where they lost by less than 50

well sounds like they didn't have alot of upper classmen, sometimes you just cannot get a turd to shine no matter how hard you polish it.
I’ve also heard rumblings that the off-season weights program isn’t great.

Considering the money the school has sunk into a field house near the practice field with weights and other indoor workout equipment, that’s not something you wanna hear either.

I think there are rumblings about things to justify the actions in whatever way is needed. I find it hard to believe that there would be such an uproar from parents and such on social media the way there has been if the offseason program was bad or other things going on. The guy kept out the majority of a team that got their butts handed to them every game and has people standing up for him when they get rid of him. That clearly speaks to the man and the job that at least some people thought he was doing well. I am sure he is like most coaches. He had some pros and some cons.

The reality is the admin or school board or combo of both was not happy with the results and they think they can find someone better to do the job. That is their right. Now personally I think they are misguided because how all this has went down they are going to have a terrible time finding someone to take that job. They better hope they have an ace up their sleeve that they can play. If not they might be wishing they had this guy back in a few weeks.

Time will tell.

I think there are rumblings about things to justify the actions in whatever way is needed. I find it hard to believe that there would be such an uproar from parents and such on social media the way there has been if the offseason program was bad or other things going on. The guy kept out the majority of a team that got their butts handed to them every game and has people standing up for him when they get rid of him. That clearly speaks to the man and the job that at least some people thought he was doing well. I am sure he is like most coaches. He had some pros and some cons.

The reality is the admin or school board or combo of both was not happy with the results and they think they can find someone better to do the job. That is their right. Now personally I think they are misguided because how all this has went down they are going to have a terrible time finding someone to take that job. They better hope they have an ace up their sleeve that they can play. If not they might be wishing they had this guy back in a few weeks.

Time will tell.

Gotta keep things interesting in BFE, Tad.

Speaking of, the Highway Patrol is moving their driving examination office from Cabool to the Mountain Grove Senior Center.

How dare they

• Haha
Reactions: TadQueasy

Time will tell.
Well good luck you are always going to find someone willing to coach, hopefully you find a good one.

Gotta keep things interesting in BFE, Tad.

Speaking of, the Highway Patrol is moving their driving examination office from Cabool to the Mountain Grove Senior Center.

How dare they
My gosh man. First El Imperial. Second the head football coach resigns. And now the driver office? They say bad things happen in groups of 3. Hopefully Cabool can somehow make it through these tough times.

My gosh man. First El Imperial. Second the head football coach resigns. And now the driver office? They say bad things happen in groups of 3. Hopefully Cabool can somehow make it through these tough times.

Whoa whoa whoa now, Cozumel took over, and I can confirm they have their liquor license now.

Was in town to go see Willow girls play Thayers and headed over to Cabool for lunch.

The Corona was cold and the fajitas were good.
Can’t ask for much more than that in Texas County.

Then the girls game got cancelled.
Wish I coulda been there for the rescheduled game. Sounded like a hell of a game for 3 quarters

Going to be very interested to see how they fare against Norwood @ Home

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT