ADVERTISEMENT

Just Curious Questions

FootOnTheGas

May 19, 2014
How many schools hire non teaching (on staff) coaches? I know there are a lot of schools that allow volunteer coaches and off staff assistant coaches, maybe retirees, but is it a common practice to have a head coach of sport that doesn't work at the school?

Secondly, should those persons be held to the same level of morality, ethics, and rules as actual educators in their coaching role? I have seen too many examples nationwide in the news/websites to where off staff coaches seem to get by with more than actual professional educators.

Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
How many schools hire non teaching (on staff) coaches? I know there are a lot of schools that allow volunteer coaches and off staff assistant coaches, maybe retirees, but is it a common practice to have a head coach of sport that doesn't work at the school?

Secondly, should those persons be held to the same level of morality, ethics, and rules as actual educators in their coaching role? I have seen too many examples nationwide in the news/websites to where off staff coaches seem to get by with more than actual professional educators.

Thanks.
Not sure on how many are head coaches, but I think it happens a lot with assistants. I know when Terry Walker was at BO, there were a couple years where he was the only football coach in the district and he was at the MS building. I know Coach LePage has had a few guys on staff at BO that taught at JC.

Reactions: FootOnTheGas

Thanks.
I have seen a ton of assistants that weren't employed at the school. Not sure that I have ever seen a head coach though. I do think they should be held to the same standard though

raw

In my defense, Mox was not a team player.

What kind of leader organizes an all nighter at the strip club the day before a game? Reads a book on the sideline during a game and makes up his own plays in practice then argues with the coach about it?

Someone needed to straighten that kid out.

Just look at him now.
He is the opposite of "Straight"

3fab44a3-91c1-4ca3-87c9-bbed7b2d86d8_text.gif
cf705e628ca27e202d3637cbeded12137d5403d2.gif

6c84d6e15a6c8f565a38cc0cb83ed524.jpg
thumbs-up-vandermeme.gif

In my defense, Mox was not a team player.

What kind of leader organizes an all nighter at the strip club the day before a game? Reads a book on the sideline during a game and makes up his own plays in practice then argues with the coach about it?

Someone needed to straighten that kid out.

Just look at him now.
Hear, hear! Like Stef before the Mox, sometimes you have a hot headed teen who needs to have a nice little "chat" to set him down the right path.

But back on topic here. When I was the Ampipe Booster Club president, we often had coaches on staff of various sports who were not employees of the district. Sometimes the district doesnt have an opening but that head coach wants the assistant. This is where the booster club came in. We made sure those assistants got on the staff on were on the payroll of the club.

And you better believe the club held those assistants "to the same level of morality, ethics, and rules as actual educators in their coaching role".

Hear, hear! Like Stef before the Mox, sometimes you have a hot headed teen who needs to have a nice little "chat" to set him down the right path.

But back on topic here. When I was the Ampipe Booster Club president, we often had coaches on staff of various sports who were not employees of the district. Sometimes the district doesnt have an opening but that head coach wants the assistant. This is where the booster club came in. We made sure those assistants got on the staff on were on the payroll of the club.

And you better believe the club held those assistants "to the same level of morality, ethics, and rules as actual educators in their coaching role".
OIP.UlFvrNbeekr9TIw2cYf9nAHaFj

Thanks.
There is a lack of people wanting to be coaches (easier to coach from the stands and over the dinner table). The days of a teacher coaching for 20+ years are certainly dwindling. Many schools have PE teachers who are hired and not even coaching from day 1.

There are some good volunteers, but I hear more and more headaches where a volunteer gets an agenda, has loose lips, etc. and it backfires on the head coach.

To answer your questions, to me a head coach should be in the building and on staff. The see the players in a different environment, hear about what else is going on, and are a good role model for kids seeing that coach has a couple of college degrees and is putting them to use. Obv a college degree isn't the be all end all, and wit the price of tuition going up and useless art history type degrees, we are seeing more push to trades and certifications that don't require going thousands of dollars in debt.

Ethics should certainly be a big part. Unfortunately not everyone agrees nowadays. I'm sure some will say "but his mean tweets" and call me a snowflake, but look at the way Trump talks, acts, payoffs, settlements, bankruptcies, refusal to pay people, etc, and he was a President for 4 years. Meaning the highest office in the country had shaky ethics at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootOnTheGas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT