ADVERTISEMENT

Bowling Green at Higginsville

Cards1968

Sep 20, 2010
Mississippi
mosports.rivals.com
What a match-up. Finally get to see how good these two teams, especially Bowling Green really are.

Bowling Green obviously has a prolific offense, albeit against less heralded competition. 762 points thus far through 11 games (just over 69 points per contest). Their defense has given up 85 points, with the vast majority of those in the 2nd half. Only one shutout, but 7 other one score allowed games. Palmyra and both Callaways were able to score twice.

District points were 47.98 heading into the playoffs.

They played 5 teams with a ranking in the 10,000+ range and St. Mary's, a school in Kansas who doesn't have a Cal Preps ranking. Average ranking of all opponents is 9767.

Higginsville has scored 570 points to date (just shy of 52 per game) and has allowed a very stingy 93 points to comparably better competition. Three shutouts, however allowed multiple scores in 4 contests with two of those being 3 scores allowed in the first two games of the season. The two Richmond contests have both been down to the wire so they do have the complete close game experience that BG lacks.

District points were 49.49 heading into the playoffs.

Highest Cal Preps ranked team played was Richmond at #3334 twice. They played 4 teams with a ranking above 10,000+. Average ranking of all opponents (included Richmond and Lawson twice, the highest two on their schedule) is 8148. The major difference in their shedule vs BG is the Holden game, which they won handily 48-0 on their fellow quarterfinalist's field.

Cal Preps projection is Bowling Green 42 Higginsville 38 on a neutral field, in spite of them being the #6 ranked team in Class 2 with Higginsville ranked at #2. Don't know what to make of that, but threw it in.

I think Bowling Green has the best athlete available in Starks. They also have last year's playoff experience in the bank, so I don't see the stage being too big for them. Higginsville has home field and has played the tougher schedule to get here. Weather looks good considering, 36° at kickoff but could be a tad breezy with no precipitation forecast.

IMO it boils down to if Higginsville can get enough empty possessions to keep it close. I can't see them winning a high scoring affair. Bowling Green's defense is largly overlooked, but they are a tough nut to crack. Here's to a good, injury free game.

I'm pulling for Bowling Green in this one not only because they are repping the region but also want to see them take on the Blair Oaks juggernaut next Saturday at Bowling Green. I think they present the biggest challenge still available to them on paper.

Last edited:
What a match-up. Finally get to see how good these two teams, especially Bowling Green really are.

Bowling Green obviously has a prolific offense, albeit against less heralded competition. 762 points thus far through 11 games (just over 69 points per contest). Their defense has given up 85 points, with the vast majority of those in the 2nd half. Only one shutout, but 7 other one score allowed games. Palmyra and both Callaways were able to score twice.

Highest Cal Preps ranked team played was St Mary's (KS) at #3463 which was a 72-8 thrashing in Bowling Green. They played 5 teams with a ranking in the 10,000+ range. Average ranking of all opponents is 9134.

Higginsville has scored 570 points to date (just shy of 52 per game) and has allowed a very stingy 93 points to comparably better competition. Three shutouts, however allowed multiple scores in 4 contests with two of those being 3 scores allowed in the first two games of the season. The two Richmond contests have both been down to the wire so they do have the complete close game experience that BG lacks.

Highest Cal Preps ranked team played was Richmond at #3334 twice. They played 4 teams with a ranking above 10,000+. Average ranking of all opponents (included Richmond and Lawson twice, the highest two on their schedule) is 8148. The major difference in their shedule vs BG is the Holden game, which they won handily 48-0 on their fellow quarterfinalist's field.

Cal Preps projection is Bowling Green 42 Higginsville 38 on a neutral field, in spite of them being the #6 ranked team in Class 2 with Higginsville ranked at #2. Don't know what to make of that, but threw it in.

I think Bowling Green has the best athlete available in Starks. They also have last year's playoff experience in the bank, so I don't see the stage being too big for them. Higginsville has home field and has played the tougher schedule to get here. Weather looks good considering, 36° at kickoff but could be a tad breezy with no precipitation forecast.

IMO it boils down to if Higginsville can get enough empty possessions to keep it close. I can't see them winning a high scoring affair. Bowling Green's defense is largly overlooked, but they are a tough nut to crack. Here's to a good, injury free game.

I'm pulling for Bowling Green in this one not only because they are repping the region but also want to see them take on the Blair Oaks juggernaut next Saturday at Bowling Green. I think they present the biggest challenge still available to them on paper.
Ball control is key for Higginsville to win this one again. They prevailed 52-32 last year same round same venue.

Ball control is key for Higginsville to win this one again. They prevailed 52-32 last year same round same venue.
Bowling Green is on a war path to avenge that loss. That loss to Higginsville last year is a big part of why they are so dominant this year. I could have this thing completely misjudged, but I think Bowling Green will be in control of this one from start to finish.

Reactions: thetophat2021
Bowling Green is on a war path to avenge that loss. That loss to Higginsville last year is a big part of why they are so dominant this year. I could have this thing completely misjudged, but I think Bowling Green will be in control of this one from start to finish.
I just witnessed a "war path to avenge a loss" last Friday night that beyond verified so you could be on target.............

Rematches are always games to watch and so are (probably belongs elsewhere but will again throw it out as advice) games pitting unbeatens vs. those with a loss or more i.e. coming from off the pace. I generally favor the latter this time of year.

Reactions: MIZZOU71
Were this a night game would feel a smidge different than Saturday afternoon. I think this could be a real close one. BG is truly untested. That St. Marys (KS) team cards referred to was 8 man just last year.
Somehow they have fooled the Cal Preps algorithm to be higher ranked than any opponent on either schedule other than Richmond. It's not the be all/end all for sure, but it does offer a method for comparison.

The St Mary's at 3463 isn't the one BG played they played St Mary's academy who was god awful. 2 different schools. Willow springs beat the brakes off them.

Highest Cal Preps ranked team played was St Mary's (KS) at #3463 which was a 72-8 thrashing in Bowling Green. They played 5 teams with a ranking in the 10,000+ range. Average ranking of all opponents is 9134.

We may see the matchup, but I feel there’s some disrespect for the most consistent class 2 team in the state since 2010. I’d take Lamar over BG by 14 right now. And that’s being kind to the talent they have with Marcus Starks and co. I feel everyone is discounting a team that’s won or been in the state game 2 of the past 3 years. I personally don’t see anyone beating BO. So I don’t think AT ALL they should be favored. Just feel everyone is forgetting about a team that’s always right there. Those things I mention since paper is one of your metics you use lamar is only slightly behind BO in strength of schedule. And other then that has a senior class that’s been in the state game 3 of 4 years, and knows what it takes to get there. Just saying.

Other than that. This is absolutely the game of the week. Can’t wait to see it. Once again, I think BG is great, the Huskers are great. Hope it’s a wonderful game.

We may see the matchup, but I feel there’s some disrespect for the most consistent class 2 team in the state since 2010. I’d take Lamar over BG by 14 right now. And that’s being kind to the talent they have with Marcus Starks and co. I feel everyone is discounting a team that’s won or been in the state game 2 of the past 3 years. I personally don’t see anyone beating BO. So I don’t think AT ALL they should be favored. Just feel everyone is forgetting about a team that’s always right there. Those things I mention since paper is one of your metics you use lamar is only slightly behind BO in strength of schedule. And other then that has a senior class that’s been in the state game 3 of 4 years, and knows what it takes to get there. Just saying.

Other than that. This is absolutely the game of the week. Can’t wait to see it. Once again, I think BG is great, the Huskers are great. Hope it’s a wonderful g
I think we are talking about two different sides of the bracket??

Reactions: Cards1968
It is 2 sides of bracket and who ever wins this game has to face LFL or BO Thanksgiving weekend before they would face Lamar or someone else from the other side of the bracket.

There is so much drama going into this game because honestly there is so many unknowns. One team has blown out all of their opponents and really honestly has never been tested so no one knows what their ceiling is, where are they going to be brought down to a tough matchup where it is a 1-2 score game going late. Higginsville on the other hand has had their hands full with Richmond (twice), so we are seeing where they are as a team going into this one so with everything put together this matchup is a huge one.
Who ever wins faces LFL or of course BO. That game will most likely the game of the week and the winner goes on to the Show Me Bowl.
No one has gotten away from Lamar or Seneca or anyone else from the bracket but we will get to that game when the time comes.

Other than that. This is absolutely the game of the week. Can’t wait to see it. Once again, I think BG is great, the Huskers are great. Hope it’s a wonderful game.
The sleepers are snoring the winter away. Time for the big boys to do big boy things.

Reactions: Keyboard_QB
Those things I mention since paper is one of your metics you use lamar is only slightly behind BO in strength of schedule.
Blair Oaks SOS -3.6
Lamar SOS -7.6

There are 15 other Class 2 schools that have a stronger SOS than Lamar. Lamar's reputation speaks for itself, but SOS this year isn't the stat to hang your hat on.

giphy.gif

Man there is many Class 2 teams that would make a run to the championship game in class 3 this year. All teams left in class 2 are pretty good.
I agree. I'm not sure how many would beat Cardinal Ritter, but I think BO, Lamar, LC, BG, Seneca and Richmond are all better than whoever would represent opposite of Cardinal Ritter, assuming they get there. I would think with Lutheran North out, Reeds Springs would be the favorite to represent that side.

I agree. I'm not sure how many would beat Cardinal Ritter, but I think BO, Lamar, LC, BG, Seneca and Richmond are all better than whoever would represent opposite of Cardinal Ritter, assuming they get there. I would think with Lutheran North out, Reeds Springs would be the favorite to represent that side.
Holden pushed Richmond and I'd bet anything would now beat MB in a Week 2 rematch. Don't really like their chances this week but definitely not a bad C2 team, either.

No
Not that this is a true indication of what would happen this year, but Bowling Green beat Cardinal Ritter late in the season last year and Bowling Green is A LOT better this year.

No

Not that this is a true indication of what would happen this year, but Bowling Green beat Cardinal Ritter late in the season last year and Bowling Green is A LOT better this year.
This is what makes these apples vs. oranges matchups so much fun this time of year! I am very high on the MRVC East top half and in particular Higginsville this year so can make my argument with NO way to verify until they tee it up Saturday.

Track them all on the scoreboard bmanturbo2000.wix.com/bm-online/ should be a fun Saturday. I will be updating it on the fly from Cardinal Ritter in STL. I will be watching LFL try to do something Lutheran North and Cardinal Ritter has failed to do 4 times now (0-4) which is beat BO.

Last edited:
I will take Bowling Green +21 for 50 million? Kidding, but in all seriousness if Bowling Green doesn't win this easily, I will be shocked.
I'm curious as to what he saw to come to this conclusion. His reputation in picking games is awful good. I just don't see how watching any of Bowling Green's games really gives one much information other than they have outclassed the opposition every time. This game is a measuring stick for both teams. Hope I'm successful in the MSHSAA stream roulette and get to watch.

Reactions: NEMOFball
I'm curious as to what he saw to come to this conclusion. His reputation in picking games is awful good. I just don't see how watching any of Bowling Green's games really gives one much information other than they have outclassed the opposition every time. This game is a measuring stick for both teams. Hope I'm successful in the MSHSAA stream roulette and get to watch.
I agree with saying Bowling Green could easily win this game. A darn good team like Bowling Green can make another darn good team look like just any other team if they have the right game plan. Look what they did to Hallsville and Hallsville wasn't great but truly wasnt that bad.

Let it be known, I think Bowling Green is a really good team. I won't be entirely shocked if I have to eat crow, that said, I the three areas that I think give higg the edge:
Line of scrimmage - Bowling Green is good up front, but they don't appear to be great technicians. tough to tell against lesser comp, but the pad level/footwork are the same against any competition.
Lack of competition as a team - I think it will take 2 drives for BG to adjust to the level of physicality and ability. I think they can do that, but with Higg's offense, two drives may be too late.
Matching athleticism - Higg has at least two players that are at least as good of athletes as Sparks, (probably not quite as fast).

I think BG will score one or two long runs, but I don't think they will be able to put long scoring drives together until they are already 2-3 TDs behind.

A lot of things can totally change the outcome though. If BG can start fast, I think their chances go up exponentially.

Let it be known, I think Bowling Green is a really good team. I won't be entirely shocked if I have to eat crow, that said, I the three areas that I think give higg the edge:
Line of scrimmage - Bowling Green is good up front, but they don't appear to be great technicians. tough to tell against lesser comp, but the pad level/footwork are the same against any competition.
Lack of competition as a team - I think it will take 2 drives for BG to adjust to the level of physicality and ability. I think they can do that, but with Higg's offense, two drives may be too late.
Matching athleticism - Higg has at least two players that are at least as good of athletes as Sparks, (probably not quite as fast).

I think BG will score one or two long runs, but I don't think they will be able to put long scoring drives together until they are already 2-3 TDs behind.

A lot of things can totally change the outcome though. If BG can start fast, I think their chances go up exponentially.
Good analysis. My feelings are all stat/transitive theory so I will defer to your observations. I do look back to Higginsville's close games with Richmond and how they performed against Macon the week before. I think the way Bowling Green rolled all the CCC teams and Hallsville who also handled CCC competition relatively easily points to, in my mind at least this will be much closer than 3 td's. Find out tomorrow.

While Higginsville has not seen an offense as potent as BG this year, I'm not sure BG has seen a defense as stout as Higginsville. H'villes starters only allowed 12 first half points this season. They pretty much only played the 1st half with JV and Freshman usually taking over from there. In their two games with top 10 Richmond they allowed only 18 total points. Gave up one score to an 8-3 Warsaw team and shut out fellow quarterfinalist Holden. I wonder if their defense is being overlooked. Should be a hard fought competitive game.

Reactions: Keyboard_QB
While Higginsville has not seen an offense as potent as BG this year, I'm not sure BG has seen a defense as stout as Higginsville. H'villes starters only allowed 12 first half points this season. They pretty much only played the 1st half with JV and Freshman usually taking over from there. In their two games with top 10 Richmond they allowed only 18 total points. Gave up one score to an 8-3 Warsaw team and shut out fellow quarterfinalist Holden. I wonder if their defense is being overlooked. Should be a hard fought competitive game.
That would be a no. Their defense is not being overlooked and neither should be BG's defense either.

Great analysis and perspective. I cannot wait to see how this one shakes out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT