ADVERTISEMENT

What has MLB come to?!!!

3Rfan

Aug 23, 2002
Why on earth are MLB teams using "bullpen starts" in the playoffs and now the World Series?!!!
If you don't have 4 starters that can go out there and give you 5 or 6 innings in the playoffs and World Series things have gone plumb crazy!
Bob Gibson has to be rollin over in his grave!

Maybe that’s why games 2 and 3 are TV’s lowest rated WS games of all time.

Things change. For good or bad. Teams do what they think best to give them a chance to win. The days of a starter going for a CG in the playoffs are long gone and they are not coming back any time soon.

The bullpen starts had nothing to do with the low ratings. The low ratings have to do with teams that people nationally are not interested in.

Reactions: HomeyR
Things change. For good or bad. Teams do what they think best to give them a chance to win. The days of a starter going for a CG in the playoffs are long gone and they are not coming back any time soon.

The bullpen starts had nothing to do with the low ratings. The low ratings have to do with teams that people nationally are not interested in.
Spot on..! I always find it refreshing when there are no teams from NY or LA in the World Series...

I can only speak for myself, my family and friends. But if Randy Johnson was facing off with Gregg Maddux or Kurt Schilling started against Roger Clemens, we would have never switched the channel. So no offense but the star power and usage of pitching in this day and age makes a huge difference for us.

Watching Carp throw that game vs the Phillies is more appealing to any real baseball fan than a bullpen game will ever be. Between the tv deal debacles and the analyticalization of the game, they lost me.

Why is a bullpen game better that the guys that were starters all year? I know there were some injury issues but you could go with 3 or 4 starters in the playoff games and not over work anyone. When you get to the WS you should be using starters and a lockdown closer. What you would be saving anybody for?

I am not saying that bullpen games are better. I am saying that coaches are doing what they think is best in order to win that particular game. Personally, I am not a fan of bullpen games. I would love to go back to Greg Maddux slicing people up for 8-9 innings a game. But that is not happening and that is not the game right now.

I just don't think any low ratings have to do with bullpen games right now. Ratings and attendance was up this year for baseball and that included bullpen games. It is part of the game right now.

Low ratings and such come more from people as a whole not being interested in Rangers and DBacks. It is a shame because they were a couple fun teams to watch. I enjoyed the playoffs.

Reactions: HomeyR
I am not saying that bullpen games are better. I am saying that coaches are doing what they think is best in order to win that particular game. Personally, I am not a fan of bullpen games. I would love to go back to Greg Maddux slicing people up for 8-9 innings a game. But that is not happening and that is not the game right now.

I just don't think any low ratings have to do with bullpen games right now. Ratings and attendance was up this year for baseball and that included bullpen games. It is part of the game right now.

Low ratings and such come more from people as a whole not being interested in Rangers and DBacks. It is a shame because they were a couple fun teams to watch. I enjoyed the playoffs.
I enjoyed the playoffs this year also!

I get having some bullpen games in the regular season for various reasons but in the playoffs why not put your best out there. If the bullpen guys were that good they wouldn't be bullpen guys. You don't even need 5 starters in the playoffs and WS.

I can only speak for myself, my family and friends. But if Randy Johnson was facing off with Gregg Maddux or Kurt Schilling started against Roger Clemens, we would have never switched the channel. So no offense but the star power and usage of pitching in this day and age makes a huge difference for us.

Watching Carp throw that game vs the Phillies is more appealing to any real baseball fan than a bullpen game will ever be. Between the tv deal debacles and the analyticalization of the game, they lost me.
Agreed. The matchups now aren't all that interesting. Mainly because some middle reliever most of us has never heard of is starting. It's odd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT