ADVERTISEMENT

Ten Most Dominating Teams since 2003

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2016] Kearney (M0) 31
[2016] Webb City (MO) 14

These things are fun to play with but no one believes Kearney is 17 pts better than Webb right now but this Computer Proccessing Device.
Have to disagree with you. I think there are a lot of people who would believe that Kearney is 17 points better than Webb right now. Put them on a neutral field tonight - no playoffs - just a regular season game - set the point spread at 17, and you'd have quite a few take Kearney.

Have to disagree with you. I think there are a lot of people who would believe that Kearney is 17 points better than Webb right now. Put them on a neutral field tonight - no playoffs - just a regular season game - set the point spread at 17, and you'd have quite a few take Kearney.

I don't think so. Kearney's offense is maybe slightly better than 2014. Not as good as 2012, 13 or 2015. I may be proven wrong.

It is hard to be a troll when logic is involved... ;)

It is hard to be a troll when logic is involved... ;)
"no one believes" is the part I struggled with. Put it at 17, I'd quite likely take Webb if forced to bet a grand. Put it at less than two touchdowns, I'd have to go with Kearney right now.

Btw if the Kearney coach knew it was 17 and he had been forced to bet on his own team too, then I'd take Kearney. What I'm saying is, 17 is a lot when a coach might say we're up 10 late, no reason to push hard for that one last score. But do I believe Kearney is better enough than Webb right now to win by 17, I'd say that's very possible.

If Webb stops fumbling and they meet in the dome, totally different story.

1966 Valle prior to MSHSAA playoffs...team was 10-0...all were 39 plus point wins and a remarkable TEN SHUT-OUTS ...closest game was 39-0 over St. Vincents...team scored 535 points and gave up ZERO.

SteGenHerald link: http://www.stegenherald.com/sports/...cle_70708afa-6a4c-11e6-98d6-23672998eb27.html

Close

https://www.facebook.com/1015013257...8.10150132573605055/10157367807815055/?type=3

That 1966 Valle team actually finished 2nd in at least one of the organizations that compiled final rankings that year.

According to the Kansas City Star's Outstate Missouri Rankings Trenton actually finished #1 in Class M-S ahead of Valle who finished #2.

Dewey Combs coached Trenton that season before heading to Joplin after 9 years of leading the Bulldogs.

Here is Trenton's Results that season:

Trenton 40 Savannah 0
Trenton 41 Carrollton 6
Trenton 48 Macon 6
Trenton 20 Kirksville 0
Trenton 48 Marceline 7
Trenton 55 Unionville 0
Trenton 60 Milan 0
Trenton 45 Brookfield 0
Trenton 31 Fort Osage 7
Trenton 27 Chillicothe 10

Trenton and Chillicothe came into week 10 both undefeated. Trenton was ranked #1 in Class M-S, Chillicothe was ranked #5 in Class L.

The game was played in front of an estimated crowd of over 5,000 people at Eastside Stadium in Trenton.

"no one believes" is the part I struggled with. Put it at 17, I'd quite likely take Webb if forced to bet a grand. Put it at less than two touchdowns, I'd have to go with Kearney right now.

Btw if the Kearney coach knew it was 17 and he had been forced to bet on his own team too, then I'd take Kearney. What I'm saying is, 17 is a lot when a coach might say we're up 10 late, no reason to push hard for that one last score. But do I believe Kearney is better enough than Webb right now to win by 17, I'd say that's very possible.

If Webb stops fumbling and they meet in the dome, totally different story.
Which dome would that be? :)

The 17 pt argument is certainly up for debate. The meet in the dome argument is not...

I would bet Tophat's car on it...:eek:

I am totally comfortable with Kearney being considered a very solid favorite over WC at this point. After last Friday WC has a lot of work just to make it out of district. If in about 5 weeks we are discussing how big a favorite Kearney is over WC in the Springfield outdoor dome then it means WC has accomplished a lot to get to that point.

wish had the ability to do it by qtrs. Some good quality teams pull 1st team D and let jv and even freshman team play against varsity level offenses in 2nd half of games giving up a few touchdowns over the season. But the experience makes them better in future.

That why good programs usually stay good year in and year out.

Reactions: Steelblues89
Scout BTW

PROJECT A MATCHUP
neutral field
[2003] Kearney (MO) 34, [2009] Kearney (MO) 31

Looks like the computers favor 2003 though as good as that 2003 team was think Joe Windsor was the most impressive player of either group.

wish had the ability to do it by qtrs. Some good quality teams pull 1st team D and let jv and even freshman team play against varsity level offenses in 2nd half of games giving up a few touchdowns over the season. But the experience makes them better in future.

That why good programs usually stay good year in and year out.
That combined with consistently deep runs in to the playoffs can lead to potential 2 full seasons of extra practice, game prep, and games. Lamar's seniors last year played 6 full regular seasons.... Good way to keep improving.

I am totally comfortable with Kearney being considered a very solid favorite over WC at this point. After last Friday WC has a lot of work just to make it out of district. If in about 5 weeks we are discussing how big a favorite Kearney is over WC in the Springfield outdoor dome then it means WC has accomplished a lot to get to that point.
Dogs are still a mystery team..............tonight will tell a lot I have a feeling. Cannot wait to finally get out and enjoy a great game in person!

Not saying that you intended to manipulate. I was just stating that stats like this are entertaining to all of us and interesting to look at, but if you don't like what the stats reveal, just change the criteria and make it work the way you want it to work for you.
And number of shutouts is really meaningless,,,,I have seen countless WC games where the score was 42-0 third qtr,,starters came out and it ended up 42-14

And number of shutouts is really meaningless,,,,I have seen countless WC games where the score was 42-0 third qtr,,starters came out and it ended up 42-14

And the scoring was weighted accordingly,. It didn't add much to the final scoring. This is a "domination" scoring---not who is the best. Although one could make the argument these ten are certainly among them.

Last edited:
Always interesting to dream of teams from the past measuring up with each other. Impossible task without an Uncle Rico time machine. But still fun. 1993 Jeff City team was pretty good. Webb City’s team was pretty good also. Would have been a great matchup but we will never know. I saw both play. Both great. Computers can’t figure out. Too many variables with 16-18 year olds and other factors. JC beat McCluer North 35-0 that weekend. It was a great season. If we could go back and set that game up that would be fun. For now we can only imagine. Poor McCluer North. Took their lumps in playoffs at times. But had a good coach in late 80s early 90s.

That CJ loss was killer. Class 4 team with some talent and more players can be tough to beat!

I'll throw this in about the 2013 Lamar team. The previous year they had beaten CJ 47-13. The core of the Lamar team was back playing in '13. Beshore, one of the main players, I believe was sick that game and didn't play in the first of the game. CJ passed and without Beshore Lamar couldn't cover very well. When Beshore came back in Lamar started to turn the game around. My son was a main player and before the game I went up to his room and asked him if he's ready to play. He told me that they'd turbo CJ by half easily. It looked like most of the team had this mindset and was caught off guard. CJ had a new coach that year who was an offensive master. Lamar was reeling trying to catch up when they really weren't ready to play that game.
Overall the Lamar 2013 team was the most dominant team I've personally seen. The varsity didn't play much of the second half of any game and still put up numbers that are unreal. Lamar was in the running for all time single season scoring with a team from Aledo Texas. Aledo played 16 games that year with an average score of 63.9 ppg. Lamar averaged 58.8 ppg and if someone would turn their season in to NFHS they would be 4th of the all time national HS scoring list. Lamar could have scored 100 points in at least 10 of their 15 games. Other state records set that year are:
Total yards offense
1 Lamar 2013 7226
2 Westran 2014 7134
Most rushing yards
1 Lamar 2013 6828
2 Salem 2002 5638
Most rushing yards per game
1 Lamar 2013 455.20
Most touchdowns
1 Lamar 2013 108
2 Concordia 2010 73
PAT's made
1 Lamar 2013 98
2 Maryville 2012 90

Great thread. Lots of interesting stats and stories.

Last edited:
In that game with Carl Junction in 2013, Jared Beshore had a sprained ankle. He came in for one play and then took himself out of the game. For those that think one player couldn't make that much difference, Beshore had over 200 yards rushing on offense with three interceptions in the game the previous year against Carl Junction.

In 2013, CJ jumped out to a 20-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. Playing Butler the week before and leading 70-0 by halftime probably hurt Lamar more than anything. It took them a quarter to realize that CJ was at another level speed wise. Lamar battled back and took their first lead late in the third quarter at 38-37. CJ went ahead 43-38 only to have Lamar regain the lead at 46-43. With the ball at midfield and time for one play, CJ ran the hook and lateral play to perfection to score with only a couple seconds left on the clock. One hell of a finish. I think that if Beshore would have been healthy, Lamar would have won this game. One of those games that both schools fans will talk about for years to come. I remember it like it was yesterday.

My wife is always saying that I can't remember to take out the trash or what she asked me to do 10 minutes ago but, I can remember the score of a ballgame from 20 years ago. You know what, she is right.

In that game with Carl Junction in 2013, Jared Beshore had a sprained ankle. He came in for one play and then took himself out of the game. For those that think one player couldn't make that much difference, Beshore had over 200 yards rushing on offense with three interceptions in the game the previous year against Carl Junction.

In 2013, CJ jumped out to a 20-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. Playing Butler the week before and leading 70-0 by halftime probably hurt Lamar more than anything. It took them a quarter to realize that CJ was at another level speed wise. Lamar battled back and took their first lead late in the third quarter at 38-37. CJ went ahead 43-38 only to have Lamar regain the lead at 46-43. With the ball at midfield and time for one play, CJ ran the hook and lateral play to perfection to score with only a couple seconds left on the clock. One hell of a finish. I think that if Beshore would have been healthy, Lamar would have won this game. One of those games that both schools fans will talk about for years to come. I remember it like it was yesterday.

My wife is always saying that I can't remember to take out the trash or what she asked me to do 10 minutes ago but, I can remember the score of a ballgame from 20 years ago. You know what, she is right.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew something was wrong with Jared but couldn't remember exactly what.

Jackson
779 Points on O
Allowed 165 points
Game point differential: 44 points

Kearney 2003
735 points on O
Allowed 89 points on D. (27 scored by NFL Tampa Bay Buc Josh Freeman of Grandview)
Game point differential: 46 points

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Stone
If you look strictly at Offense, this year's Blair Oaks squad has to be up there! Averaged 52 points a game. In the paly-offs averaged 55 points a game. Unfortunate loss to Valle keeps them from an undefeated season. Their defense played lights out against LN and held the nations top wr to 2 catches through 2 1/2 quarters. Overall. 2018 BO team was better defensively, but 2020 BO team better Offensively.

2003 was very unique in that it had a number of dynastic teams: C6 Blue Springs, C4 Kearney, C3 Harrisonville, C2 Centralia.
My Lawson Cardinals ran into that Centralia team, they were a machine. Maybe Lawson's 5th-6th best team ever, they got super hot in the playoffs, then hit that Coach Bennett wall.

Reactions: anon_utvqikut1knht
Any of you SW Missouri guys have the scores for the 1980 Joplin Parkwood team?

From the linked article they went 14-0.
They outscored opponents, 653-33.
They only gave up 6 points in the regular season. (it was a 96 yard run with 6 seconds left in the week 4 game against Glendale).
They averaged 365 yards per game.
They gave up 112 yards per game.
They defeated Hazelwood Central 20-13 in the State Championship Game.

That means other than the State Championship game they gave up 20 points total in the other 13 games. 6 of those came in week 4, so in the other other 12 games they gave up 14 points total.

They would have to rank high.

Edit: I looked it up on MSHSAA. Here are the playoff games from that year.

District: Parkwood 48 Neosho 0
Quarterfinals: Parkwood 31 Hickman 0
Semifinals: Parkwood 35 Raytown South 14
Finals: Parkwood 20 Hazelwood Central 13

So for the year:
They gave up 6 to Glendale in week 4
They gave up 14 to Ray South in the Semi's
They gave up 13 to Hazelwood Central in the finals.
They had 11 shutouts.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/sports/d...cle_96f0f32d-a8d8-5efc-8923-b06bf89b03f6.html
That 6 against Glendale was jv d. Their ko gave up a score too that yr. Best damn team I have ever seen. No spread off ect, just damn better.

Reactions: anon_utvqikut1knht
Great story. Wemer went on to play at Oklahoma State. The QB was Alan Cockrell and he went on to start for the Tennessee Volunteers. I think Tupper played at Oklahoma, correct? And were there any other D1 players on that same team?
Combs kid went okie state too.

My Lawson Cardinals ran into that Centralia team, they were a machine. Maybe Lawson's 5th-6th best team ever, they got super hot in the playoffs, then hit that Coach Bennett wall.
I watched that whole game. It was the one just before KTown vs. Ladue. I have relatives in Lawson so got to catch up with them, too. I still think the Kassanavoid 2007 team was the most fun to watch (and best all time). Sure gonna miss seeing Dunn on their sideline next year...........

Reactions: Cards1968
I watched that whole game. It was the one just before KTown vs. Ladue. I have relatives in Lawson so got to catch up with them, too. I still think the Kassanavoid 2007 team was the most fun to watch (and best all time). Sure gonna miss seeing Dunn on their sideline next year...........
Truth be told, that 07 team was Dunn's best, Lawson's second best. The 1999 team led by John Gassman was Lawson's best, IMO. 2 deep at almost every position, took State Champion St. Pius to the wire (could have beaten them), only loss, other games were not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT