ADVERTISEMENT

Ten Most Dominating Teams since 2003

Just asking...
If Maryville's remaining games to win the State Champoinship needed to go through Rockhurst, Blue Springs, CBC, Kearney, CJ, Webb City, Blue Springs South and Blue Valley...

Would they still be spreading 45 pts per game?

You can only dominate what is on the schedule. This is a review of what was on the schedule, and how a team dominated the schedule in front of them...not hypothetical opponents. You can run fantasy match ups on Calpreps.

I can give you the WC fan perspective. WC in 2002 was much stronger than in 2003 and needless to say that semifinal loss was one that hurt about as much as any. WC feels like they let that one get away. In 2003 WC was thoroughly dominated by Kearney. Arguably the most dominant win over a WC team since the great Parkwood team in 1980. If the argument is dominance then yes the Kearney team was that dominant. At the same time in 03 WC lost by 27 to Hickman lost a couple other games earlier in the year and beat Mac County and Nevada by 12 and 14. WC did very well turning things around and getting to the Semis that year. I'm honestly not certain that the 2009 Kearney wasn't actually better as they beat what was at that point what was a pretty dominant WC team and probably played a much stronger schedule that year.

I would put 1993's WC team up against the other great ones. They are in the upper echelon of domination here, and certainly one of the best teams ever produced.

The sc ore vs Seneca, the 1st game of the season was 56-21. Lamar turbo ed everyone but CJ. In that CJ game, Lamar trailed 20-0 before the end of the first quarter.

This is an elite group of teams. To qualify, teams had to be (1) undefeated and (2) win the state title game by 20 points or more. Then a calculation is done with average point differential per game, with bonus points for shut outs and 30 point + wins. Deductions for < 10 point wins. So here are the results:

1). 2003 Kearney 98.14 Domination Score. 14-0, all wins > 30 points. 5 shut outs. (Best wins: Ladue 43-0, Webb 43-0, Grandview 42-7.) Total domination.

2) 2003 Centralia. 95.43. 14-0 with 13 wins over 30 points. Six shut outs. (Best wins: Blair Oaks 38-7, 35-0, Lawson 42-0)

3). 2015 Valle Catholic. 88.2. 15-0 with 11 wins +30. Four shut outs. (Close games with Marceline 16-13, and Thayer 17-10.)

4) 2015 Lamar. 86.27. 15-0 with 12 30+ wins, five shut outs. (Best wins: Carl Junction 56-34. Close game: Liberty 14-7)

5) 2005 Cameron 84.21. 13 30+ wins, two shut outs. Average point differential 42.

6) 2014 Valle Catholic 82.27

7) 2013 Valle Catholic 80.87

8) 2012 Webb City. 75.73. 15-0 with 11 30+ wins, three shutouts. Good night now, opponents.

9) 2014 Webb City. 74.2 15-0 with 10 30+ wins, four shut outs. (Rockhurst 40-14 (#2 Class 6), Kearney 38-7 (#2 in Class 4.) No one was going to play with this team.

10.) 2010 Penney 67.5
1966 Valle prior to MSHSAA playoffs...team was 10-0...all were 39 plus point wins and a remarkable TEN SHUT-OUTS ...closest game was 39-0 over St. Vincents...team scored 535 points and gave up ZERO.

SteGenHerald link: http://www.stegenherald.com/sports/...cle_70708afa-6a4c-11e6-98d6-23672998eb27.html

Close

Last edited:
I can give you the WC fan perspective. WC in 2002 was much stronger than in 2003 and needless to say that semifinal loss was one that hurt about as much as any. WC feels like they let that one get away. In 2003 WC was thoroughly dominated by Kearney. Arguably the most dominant win over a WC team since the great Parkwood team in 1980. If the argument is dominance then yes the Kearney team was that dominant. At the same time in 03 WC lost by 27 to Hickman lost a couple other games earlier in the year and beat Mac County and Nevada by 12 and 14. WC did very well turning things around and getting to the Semis that year. I'm honestly not certain that the 2009 Kearney wasn't actually better as they beat what was at that point what was a pretty dominant WC team and probably played a much stronger schedule that year.

I think we both are on the same page.

I felt that the 2002 Webb Team was Great and Kearney was very lucky to get out of there with a win.
Keep in mind that that Kearney team was made up of all Juniors.
The 2003 Team was their Senior year.

Your point about the 2009 Championship Kearney Team makes my case.

"Less Points", less Shut Outs, less Consecutive Wins.

Yet much deeper bench, 100+. Far better Special Teams, End Zone kick offs every time. 50+ range on field goals. 6'9, 250+ lineman, power "FB's", multiple speed RB's, (3) very capable QB's, Fast Defense with players only playing one way at each position. Backups coming in with little to no loss of quality play. Injuries not a major issue due to interchangeable key positions.

Not saying that the 2003 Kearney Team would lose to the 2009 Team but am saying if that team's QB, Benny Palmer goes down anywhere in the 2009 Kearney Season against competition like Staley, a totally different outcome would occur.

A large, capable bench matters with the larger schools ability to keep playing at a high level when the competition just keeps coming.

As for high scoring...
Think that will always be a fun thing to talk about with the smaller classes.

The only undefeated teams in the state in 1951.

Harrisonville 10-0
Hickman 9-0
John Burroughs 8-0
University City 8-0

1951 Harrisonville Wildcats Football (10-0) PF 415 PA 83

Mid-West Conference

Head Coach: Jay Anderson

Assistant Coach: Luke Scavuzzo

Mid-West Conference Champions

Mineral Water Bowl Champions

1951%20harrisonville%20wildcats.jpg

9/14 Harrisonville 46 Odessa 6 Home

9/21 Harrisonville 68 Ruskin 6 Home conference

9/28 Harrisonville 47 Lee's Summit 14 Away conference

10/5 Harrisonville 34 Center (KC) 13 Home conference

10/10 Harrisonville 34 Windsor 13 Away

10/19 Harrisonville 33 Grandview 6 Away conference

10/26 Harrisonville 41 Blue Springs 12 Home conference

11/2 Harrisonville 37 Pleasant Hill 0 Away conference

11/9 Harrisonville 61 Clinton 0 Home

11/22 Harrisonville 14 Higginsville 13 Mineral Water Bowl at Excelsior Springs

I like this discussion that has been started, I bet if we keep going back there is a Jeff City team that had to be up there based on the formula. I never saw the 1980 Parkwood team play, but I've heard and read a lot about their dominance.

I've heard my father and numerous Joplin area fans talk about how great parkwood was and how the consolidation ultimately doomed football for the city of Joplin.

The sc ore vs Seneca, the 1st game of the season was 56-21. Lamar turbo ed everyone but CJ. In that CJ game, Lamar trailed 20-0 before the end of the first quarter.
Not that it matters but I thought you guys played Mac County week 1 and Seneca week 2?

The most dominant teams came before MSHSAA Football went to 6 classes. This allowed the large 3A team and small 5A team to flourish. Jeff and Rock, had the most dominant teams. Not even close.
This is not to say that this is not an interesting post to discuss.

1980 Parkwood Bears!!! Best team ever in the state of Missouri back when Missouri only had 4 classes and they were one of the smallest class 4A schools. They are in the Hall of Fame!! I also Watch the 83 Bears win it all but at that time there were 5 Classes had a family member on that team.

After losing at Jefferson City 6-2 in the state playoffs the previous year, expectations were high for Parkwood in 1980. Some fans, in fact, made hotel reservations for the championship game in St. Louis long before the season started.

Parkwood’s statistics reflected the Bears’ domination, outscoring their opponents by a 653-33 margin and averaging 365 yards per game compared to the opponents’ 112 yards.

“We were very confident,” said Jim Combs, a senior linebacker on the team and the son of head coach Dewey Combs. “There’s a fine line between confidence and cockiness. Dewey would instill in us we could beat anybody. We joked about that we thought if we were playing the Dallas Cowboys, we could walk across the white line and beat them.

“I don’t think it was cockiness. There’s something about tradition. The tradition had already been established well before my junior and senior years.”

The Bears registered nine shutouts in 10 regular-season games. The only touchdown allowed in the regular season came on a 96-yard run by a Glendale player with six seconds remaining in the fourth game of the season.

Ironically, the Bears’ regular-season game with the fewest total yards — 286 — came during an 83-0 victory at Springfield Central in the sixth week. Parkwood ran only 27 offensive plays compared to 74 plays for Central, but defensive tackle Jeff Tupper and linebackers Mike Francisco and Doug Walker each returned a fumble for a touchdown, and Terry Wemer ran back a kickoff and punt for TDs.

The Bears’ stout defense was prominently displayed before the season began.

The annual intrasquad soap scrimmage lasted 90 minutes, and the offense ran exactly 100 plays — the last 65 by the varsity players.

Every year head coach Dewey Combs wanted the offense to score on the final play, but this night the offense scored on only two of 11 series. And as the scrimmage continued longer than usual, one of the assistant coaches suggested to defensive coordinator Mickey Heatherly that if the defense didn’t let the offense score, they’d be there all night.

Heatherly didn’t like for anyone to score, but one-by-one he replaced Dee Greninger (all-state nose guard), Jeff Tupper (all-state tackle) and Jim Combs (all-state linebacker).

A couple of plays later, the offense scored on Gary Hunt’s three-yard run, the scrimmage ended, and Coach Combs was happy.

1980 Parkwood Bears!!! Best team ever in the state of Missouri back when Missouri only had 4 classes and they were one of the smallest class 4A schools. They are in the Hall of Fame!! I also Watch the 83 Bears win it all but at that time there were 5 Classes had a family member on that team.

After losing at Jefferson City 6-2 in the state playoffs the previous year, expectations were high for Parkwood in 1980. Some fans, in fact, made hotel reservations for the championship game in St. Louis long before the season started.

Parkwood’s statistics reflected the Bears’ domination, outscoring their opponents by a 653-33 margin and averaging 365 yards per game compared to the opponents’ 112 yards.

“We were very confident,” said Jim Combs, a senior linebacker on the team and the son of head coach Dewey Combs. “There’s a fine line between confidence and cockiness. Dewey would instill in us we could beat anybody. We joked about that we thought if we were playing the Dallas Cowboys, we could walk across the white line and beat them.

“I don’t think it was cockiness. There’s something about tradition. The tradition had already been established well before my junior and senior years.”

The Bears registered nine shutouts in 10 regular-season games. The only touchdown allowed in the regular season came on a 96-yard run by a Glendale player with six seconds remaining in the fourth game of the season.

Ironically, the Bears’ regular-season game with the fewest total yards — 286 — came during an 83-0 victory at Springfield Central in the sixth week. Parkwood ran only 27 offensive plays compared to 74 plays for Central, but defensive tackle Jeff Tupper and linebackers Mike Francisco and Doug Walker each returned a fumble for a touchdown, and Terry Wemer ran back a kickoff and punt for TDs.

The Bears’ stout defense was prominently displayed before the season began.

The annual intrasquad soap scrimmage lasted 90 minutes, and the offense ran exactly 100 plays — the last 65 by the varsity players.

Every year head coach Dewey Combs wanted the offense to score on the final play, but this night the offense scored on only two of 11 series. And as the scrimmage continued longer than usual, one of the assistant coaches suggested to defensive coordinator Mickey Heatherly that if the defense didn’t let the offense score, they’d be there all night.

Heatherly didn’t like for anyone to score, but one-by-one he replaced Dee Greninger (all-state nose guard), Jeff Tupper (all-state tackle) and Jim Combs (all-state linebacker).

A couple of plays later, the offense scored on Gary Hunt’s three-yard run, the scrimmage ended, and Coach Combs was happy.
Great story. Wemer went on to play at Oklahoma State. The QB was Alan Cockrell and he went on to start for the Tennessee Volunteers. I think Tupper played at Oklahoma, correct? And were there any other D1 players on that same team?

Great story. Wemer went on to play at Oklahoma State. The QB was Alan Cockrell and he went on to start for the Tennessee Volunteers. I think Tupper played at Oklahoma, correct? And were there any other D1 players on that same team?

It's been a long time ago I saw an article but I thought there were 5 players that went D-I from that team.

Cockrell incidentally is currently the batting coach for the NY Yankees. Used to workout with my college team sometimes during the offseason, very good guy and although he didn't pan out in the big leagues as a hitter he is one hell of hitting coach.

Wow. Good stuff bullit. Thanks for posting that

Here is another one That team had probable more D-1 players on it and it will probable never be repeated.

Even today, Cockrell quickly runs out a list of names on both offense and defense that made those numbers possible, such as Scott Black, Terry Wemer, Jeff Tupper, Kurt Wattelet and Steven St. Clair. Without them, the glorious season and the spectacular statistics would never have happened.

"We had a really good group of guys," Cockrell said. "That was a special year."

So special, in fact, that Jimmy Johnson - that's right, THE Jimmy Johnson, of University of Miami and Dallas Cowboys fame - said the former Parkwood High School was his No. 1 priority for recruiting that year, and he camped out in Joplin one night to sign as many of the team members as possible. Johnson was rebuilding the Oklahoma State University football program at the time.

It would have been hard not to notice Parkwood that season. The Bears simply dominated. Cockrell, who was the quarterback for the Bears for three years, led them to a 31-3 record, culminating with a 14-0 state championship season in the fall of 1980. Dewey Combs was the head coach, and his son, Jim Combs, a linebacker, also was on the team and in fact signed with Oklahoma State. Combs was unanimously chosen first-team all-state.

While Cockrell's records may be some of the best ever posted in Joplin, and he was named twice to the all-state first team, he praised the defense for "setting the tone" that final year. The defense allowed only 6 points scored against it during the entire regular season, Cockrell said, while the offense ran up an average of 52 points per game.

"I was just one of several good football players that played on that team," Cockrell said. "By no means did I shoulder the load."

In fact, Cockrell, who graduated in 1981, said 15 seniors from that team went on to play some level of college football. Cockrell himself played for the University of Tennessee. In his freshman year as quarterback of the Volunteers, he blew his knee out in a game against Auburn. He played again as a sophomore and a junior.

Just did some research on the internet.
Alan Cockrell was the first ever true freshman to start at quarterback for Tennessee.
He suffered a knee injury midway through his first season at Tennessee.
He then returned and led them to a 6-5-1 record the next year and a 9-3 record the year after that and a bowl victory in the inaugural Florida Citrus bowl over Maryland(led by Boomer Esiason).
The following year, he was drafted by theSan Francisco Giants in the MLB draft. He made his MLB debut with the Colorado Rockies.
He is currently the hitting coach for the New York Yankees. WOW.

Tupper was redshirted and play 4 years at Oklahoma following his redshirt season at defensive tackle. (6'5 270 lbs).
He played two seasons in the NFL for the Eagles, Broncos, and Chiefs. He registered 1.5 sacks for the Broncos in 1987.

Terry Wemer played WR at Oklahoma State and finished with roughly 350 receiving yards and 1 TD his final year there.

I found an old news article saying that Combs also signed with Oklahoma State, but couldn't find any stats or anything else on him.
That same article also said that Cockrell signed with OSU too, I wonder what happened there? Switched to Tennessee. Interesting.

Here is another one That team had probable more D-1 players on it and it will probable never be repeated.

Even today, Cockrell quickly runs out a list of names on both offense and defense that made those numbers possible, such as Scott Black, Terry Wemer, Jeff Tupper, Kurt Wattelet and Steven St. Clair. Without them, the glorious season and the spectacular statistics would never have happened.

"We had a really good group of guys," Cockrell said. "That was a special year."

So special, in fact, that Jimmy Johnson - that's right, THE Jimmy Johnson, of University of Miami and Dallas Cowboys fame - said the former Parkwood High School was his No. 1 priority for recruiting that year, and he camped out in Joplin one night to sign as many of the team members as possible. Johnson was rebuilding the Oklahoma State University football program at the time.

It would have been hard not to notice Parkwood that season. The Bears simply dominated. Cockrell, who was the quarterback for the Bears for three years, led them to a 31-3 record, culminating with a 14-0 state championship season in the fall of 1980. Dewey Combs was the head coach, and his son, Jim Combs, a linebacker, also was on the team and in fact signed with Oklahoma State. Combs was unanimously chosen first-team all-state.

While Cockrell's records may be some of the best ever posted in Joplin, and he was named twice to the all-state first team, he praised the defense for "setting the tone" that final year. The defense allowed only 6 points scored against it during the entire regular season, Cockrell said, while the offense ran up an average of 52 points per game.

"I was just one of several good football players that played on that team," Cockrell said. "By no means did I shoulder the load."

In fact, Cockrell, who graduated in 1981, said 15 seniors from that team went on to play some level of college football. Cockrell himself played for the University of Tennessee. In his freshman year as quarterback of the Volunteers, he blew his knee out in a game against Auburn. He played again as a sophomore and a junior.
1966 valle was better

Reactions: Chief Justice
Harrisonville's 10-0 Mineral Water Bowl Championship team would feature 9 players that would go on to play football at the college level. Five of them would play at the Division I level. Gene Roll, Robin Wright, Dudley Childress, Bennie Alburtis all played at Missouri. Carl Lathrop play at Kansas. Gene Roll was Mizzou's leading rusher when he graduated. Carl Lathrop is related the legendary Raytown South basketball coach Bud Lathrop.

Pretty sure this thread isn't strictly about Kearney. It's about multiple teams.
After carefully considering this thread, all opinions are equally valid on this, as long as you actually saw the team you are promoting play. Some arguments are ridiculous, of course, but it's a pretty subjective topic. But it is pretty difficult to say how teams from different years, and different eras, would match up. The only arguments I dismiss are 1) I believe this because my grandpappy said it, and 2) justifying a team by what kind of future careers the players had- that is sometimes interesting, but altogether a different topic than the most dominant team.

It's a great thread, especially based on the formula which grades threads: must have 100+ posts (+3 points), must not have been hijacked by Webbies (+3 points), gets participants from all around the state (+2 points), and the number of posts from others must be twice as many or more than the number posted by the creator of the thread.

I saw Realray do something like this a couple of years ago since 2000. I think is top 3 was 03 Kearney, 05 Cameron, 03 Centralia.

If only they had the 1980 Parkwood bears...

I think they make a strong case for being the best Missouri team of all time but the championship game was 20-13 so I suppose it will always be a little subjective. Some of the Jeff City teams of the late 80's, early 90's would be in that mix as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT