ADVERTISEMENT

No Carthage at Webb City Thread. Ridiculous.

sw5890

Aug 18, 2015
I know the Webb fans haven't been talking much about the current season but there should be some discussion about this game. I've only talked to one of my webb friends and he said he feels good about the game - allegedly they are moving around and trying different kids in different roles. I mean they only have 150 or so to work with. Most of my Carthage friends are anxious. I like Carthage's chances but there is too much history of disappointment for Carthage fans to ever really feel good going into this game even when you might look superior on paper.

I kind of see Webb City as the slight underdog a bit but they have a good path to victory here if they can limit turnovers on offense and just run off chunks of yards and control the clock. Then they need to get Carthage out of sync on a couple of their possessions and make Guidie feel like he needs to do something creative that will result in a turnover or a stalled out drive.

Seems like in these games Webb City usually 'wins' it in the 3rd Q. Do they have many or any kids playing both ways? I believe most of Carthage best players are on the field almost the entire game so that could become a factor.

I know a lot of folks are down on this version of Webb City but they are still ranked #4 and have only lost to top 10 C6 teams. I guess we can evaluate after the season but in my opinion they are only sub-par in the context of other Webb City teams. Webb City hasn't produced a truly 'average' team since 1998 and there hasn't been a 'bad' team since probably the 1980s.

Should be a pretty entertaining event either way!

I know the Webb fans haven't been talking much about the current season but there should be some discussion about this game. I've only talked to one of my webb friends and he said he feels good about the game - allegedly they are moving around and trying different kids in different roles. I mean they only have 150 or so to work with. Most of my Carthage friends are anxious. I like Carthage's chances but there is too much history of disappointment for Carthage fans to ever really feel good going into this game even when you might look superior on paper.

I kind of see Webb City as the slight underdog a bit but they have a good path to victory here if they can limit turnovers on offense and just run off chunks of yards and control the clock. Then they need to get Carthage out of sync on a couple of their possessions and make Guidie feel like he needs to do something creative that will result in a turnover or a stalled out drive.

Seems like in these games Webb City usually 'wins' it in the 3rd Q. Do they have many or any kids playing both ways? I believe most of Carthage best players are on the field almost the entire game so that could become a factor.

I know a lot of folks are down on this version of Webb City but they are still ranked #4 and have only lost to top 10 C6 teams. I guess we can evaluate after the season but in my opinion they are only sub-par in the context of other Webb City teams. Webb City hasn't produced a truly 'average' team since 1998 and there hasn't been a 'bad' team since probably the 1980s.

Should be a pretty entertaining event either way!
Last year topped them all. I watched the first three quarters of last year's regular season match and came away CONVINCED there was no stopping Carthage. Have not seen them this year, though, so no opinion on this version. That playoff game has to be one of the greatest coaching jobs in MO history.............

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
I think the gap is even bigger this year than it was last year but I still wouldn't put much on Carthage.

Webb fans aren't talking because they view this game as an unimportant preseason game. The November rematch is what will count. Will be interesting to see how much each team shows in this game. Probably means more to the Carthage fans since they need to prove they can beat Webb more often. Will be watching this one on KSN tonight.

Webb fans aren't talking because they view this game as an unimportant preseason game. The November rematch is what will count. Will be interesting to see how much each team shows in this game. Probably means more to the Carthage fans since they need to prove they can beat Webb more often. Will be watching this one on KSN tonight.
no guarantee they see each other in districts.

I think that's what makes them special there's no such thing as an unimportant football game in Webb City
When it comes to the players and coaches, you are right. Every game is important. But I have seen some Webb fans refer to this as the preseason and that what Webb does now is not important as long as they get hot come playoff time. That is a change that I have noticed on here the last 2-3 years. In the past, every game was important to the Webbies on here.

Call me crazy, but me thinks they're not talking because they know they're not very good.

Well for there to be no rematch, the other teams would have to combine players or Gall would have to be out for Carthage.
Yeah, I don't care how improved some think Republic might be...their style doesn't exactly give Webb troubles. And Republic is about the only team with even a punchers chance.

• Haha
Reactions: Veer2Eternity
When it comes to the players and coaches, you are right. Every game is important. But I have seen some Webb fans refer to this as the preseason and that what Webb does now is not important as long as they get hot come playoff time. That is a change that I have noticed on here the last 2-3 years. In the past, every game was important to the Webbies on here.
Just coincidence it was after joplin started owning them.

I would bet everything I have on the fact that no team in the state wants to beat another team as much as Carthage wants to beat WC. Therein lies a big part of the problem. One bad call or play usually totally deflates the team. That doesn't happen when they play any other good teams.
I think Webb will win.

I would bet everything I have on the fact that no team in the state wants to beat another team as much as Carthage wants to beat WC. Therein lies a big part of the problem. One bad call or play usually totally deflates the team. That doesn't happen when they play any other good teams.
I think Webb will win.
That and there is just so much history of thinking this is the year and it's not. They seem to approach Joplin and Nixa (both of which have been superior to Webb the last couple years) as solid opponents and nothing more and they bring their A game. Also with Webb there are factors off the field - lots of players and fans have loads of friends and family and co-workers on the Webb side and when you lose to them you get to hear about it for the next 12 months where if you lose to Joplin or Nixa or CJ or really anyone else it's just a loss and you move on. So it just 'feels' like there is more riding on that game.

Reactions: Rawlathaballa90
Is part of that because of the non-conference schedules they used to play before the COC locked their regular season in?

Reactions: big_nasties_01
I think Webb will win.
Living on the edge for a 60 minute contest is never a good thing, huh?

Well either they are trolling or Gall isn’t playing. If it’s the latter could be all Webb tonight.

Well either they are trolling or Gall isn’t playing. If it’s the latter could be all Webb tonight.
I haven't heard this but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they left him on the bench just to see how they can fare without him and to deprive the cardinals and co. of valuable "practice" reps against him.

Then they bring out the big guns later when Webb City's regular reason starts.

there does seem to be some smoke (rumors) swirling that he is in fact not playing. nothing substantiated yet.

Asked a few people and couldn't get a solid answer at the moment but....it does kinda sound like Webb City may have stumbled into a spectacularly fortuitous turn of events.

He could be hurt but think about it. If true, Carthage can't lose either way tonight. Carthage losing this home would take some pressure off of the district championship

Is part of that because of the non-conference schedules they used to play before the COC locked their regular season in?
I do think they were a lot more focused with the previous non-conference schedule when they were trying to knock off bigger schools like Springdale Har-ber, St Thomas Acquanis, and Rockhurst.

I haven't heard this but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they left him on the bench just to see how they can fare without him and to deprive the cardinals and co. of valuable "practice" reps against him.

Then they bring out the big guns later when Webb City's regular reason starts.
If that's the case, Webb is in Carthage's head really bad!

I do think they were a lot more focused with the previous non-conference schedule when they were trying to knock off bigger schools like Springdale Har-ber, St Thomas Acquanis, and Rockhurst.
If you know that you are playing Carthage in the district title game every year in August then you can ramp up more slowly.

If that's the case, Webb is in Carthage's head really bad!
I was mostly joking but considering how many seasons have been crushed by this one team that team can definitely get in your head!

Question on that ? Can you fair catch a punt that hits the ground ? Carthage did it twice in a row .

Huh? A fair “catch” can hit the ground? It’s not a catch then. Sounds like it needs a proper name like “Fair opportunity to fiddle fart around the dribbling ball while the coverage teams looks on in boredom “.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT