ADVERTISEMENT

MSHSAA Dropped The Ball @ the Class 3, 4, and 5 Track & Field Meet

runnin_35

Nov 12, 2005
I want to start off with a positive. I thought with a new schedule that was followed for Class 3, 4, and 5 and the way the meet was set up for the athletes, it went really well.

My opinion about the situation(s) that some field event athletes were put in during the beginning of both days of competition was not good. Most coaches of any field event or running event realize that issues come up (injuries, rule questions, etc...) during competition and have to be dealt with on the occasional basis. The issues may take more or less time to straighten out before competition can resume.

I am a firm believer that the National Anthem should be played before competition begins. BUT, playing the Anthem AFTER competition begins is not just, or fair to the athletes competing at that time. A rhythm is established and is/was broken up when this was done last week. The Long Jump, Triple Jump, Pole Vault, High Jump, Shot Put, and Discus had all started on Friday at 9:30 a.m. At 10:15 a.m. those same events were stopped to play the National Anthem and to have a speaker welcome everyone to the meet. Again, nothing wrong with these things being done, but they should be done before all competitors begin.

We do not stop the State Basketball Tournament to play the National Anthem in the middle of 2nd quarter and then have a speaker welcome everyone. Instead it is played before any competition begins. We do not stop the running events like the 100m Dash prelims to play the Anthem and have a speaker. There is a good reason, these competitions have already begun.

Again, a rant, but I believe MSHSAA can do better. If people miss the Anthem (which happens) then they need to be there earlier if they want to hear it. Lets take care of All competitors at State. There is the word FIELD in the words Track & Field. Even though FIELD is listed 2nd it shouldn't be treated that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeDear-Tay
yes, national anthem should have been played at 915, that was the only thing I would say. the walk of champions could still happen at the same time, although field participants would not be able to attend, but that is not the end of the world, I understand they want to get them done with plenty of time for those guys to run

I wish that they had the ball to drop again this year. So much for telling a kid "Wait until next year" :(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT