ADVERTISEMENT

Kearney at Smithville

thetophat2021

Jun 14, 2021
Kearney, MO
Totally different feel to this one from a year ago. Kearney was the "unknown" upstart who had pulled off two major surprises in a new HC's first year then eked this one out announcing a whole new era had begun in this town.

Tomorrow's game could be "vanilla city" given Smithville pretty much lost everyone significant from last year's C4 semifinalist who beyond revenged vs. Kearney in the District title game followed by shutting out the top C4 offense in Center then giving all-star superpower St. Mary's an effort of a lifetime. This year the Warriors have a cast who was very successful at the JV level and is likely going to be far better yet again come November. I do wonder what effect last week's shootout loss at PC will have on their D. The Bulldogs are not sneaking up on anyone this year but really gutted one out against the best 0-2 team in the KC metro without a doubt.

This one is likely (watch Grandview as a potential darkhorse) for the Sub Blue title and home field in another District final rematch barring a slew of injuries. On that subject the Bulldogs are in the throes of those now but that situation is likely to change and soon just not tomorrow night so not sure what Ambroson and co will learn beyond what I already see is a very fast, attacking D who also is a smidge shorthanded, though.

Overall I expect a close, low scoring game provided Kearney also cures their turnover bug. Coming off a loss expect Smithville to play very, very hard so ball security will be something to watch big time. The Dogs better dial up the pass rush, too, or they could get torched on the back side IF the Warriors choose to deploy that. Again these two know there is about a 99.9 percent chance they will play again in November. Not to get too far ahead but that game will have a totally different feel from last year as well.

1. How do you turn up a pass rush on a Smithville team where the QB gets rid of the ball in 0.5 to 1.5 seconds more than 90% of the time?

2. Does Smithville have a running game? They did not against PC, who let Kearney get over 150 on the ground. What did Peppers just get? 38 yards?

3. Kearney still does not have QB1, QB2 (who is also the safety) among several that are big impact players.
Wonder how the Chiefs would do starting Shane Buechele?

4. K has had 5 turnovers in game 1, and 2 in game 2. Will that continue?

5. How many home runs will Smithville hit with the good group of receivers they have? I'm guessing if you keep trying, you will hit a few.

6. K's JV beat Smithville's JV last year. Most of the starters are back for K (the team that beat last year's SV in the regular season) but alas, the missing pieces above are pretty significant. Are there enough Jimmys and Joes when you take four future college level athletes from the field? (Oh, and K is missing three D1 athletes from last year as well.)

7. How about that SV QB? Went like 6/15 against Raytown with like a 54 QBR, and then lights out versus PC?

8. 3rd String QB? That's a lot to ask.

There will be a different K team in November.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetophat2021
I am a Smithville Fan but especially a fan of the 2023 class. That group went 35-5 in their 3 years with three semi final appearances and 1 State Championship and I think they have an argument for being the best class in school history. To relive last year a bit: given how Smithville physically dominated both sides of the ball in the Kearney Game 1, I wasn’t too surprised by the second game result. I thought they should be favored by 2 touchdowns in the rematch.

I think the 2024 Smithville QB is legit. I remember watching him as a frosh at half time during varsity games throwing 50 yards flat footed. He was, unfortunately for him, behind the best QB in school history. The arm talent is there, the unknown is the decision making. Being behind one of the smartest QBs in the state the last 3 years and with the Smithville coaching staff, my guess is he’ll be fine.

I too am a little bit surprised they didn’t run the ball more vs. PC. My guess is they’ll like to be more balanced going forward because you don't want to rely on the home runs.

They weren’t getting much pressure in passing downs but it turns out the PC kid is pretty good. My guess is they’ll be able to stop the run and won’t see many QBs able to exploit in the pass like PC did.

Should be another good game in a great rivalry.

I am a Smithville Fan but especially a fan of the 2023 class. That group went 35-5 in their 3 years with three semi final appearances and 1 State Championship and I think they have an argument for being the best class in school history. To relive last year a bit: given how Smithville physically dominated both sides of the ball in the Kearney Game 1, I wasn’t too surprised by the second game result. I thought they should be favored by 2 touchdowns in the rematch.

I think the 2024 Smithville QB is legit. I remember watching him as a frosh at half time during varsity games throwing 50 yards flat footed. He was, unfortunately for him, behind the best QB in school history. The arm talent is there, the unknown is the decision making. Being behind one of the smartest QBs in the state the last 3 years and with the Smithville coaching staff, my guess is he’ll be fine.

I too am a little bit surprised they didn’t run the ball more vs. PC. My guess is they’ll like to be more balanced going forward because you don't want to rely on the home runs.

They weren’t getting much pressure in passing downs but it turns out the PC kid is pretty good. My guess is they’ll be able to stop the run and won’t see many QBs able to exploit in the pass like PC did.

Should be another good game in a great rivalry.
It finally became such. Hasn't been a rivalry since 2018, frankly. All Warriors. Tonight is pure window dressing for the one that really matters. I think this is why Minnick is likely exercising caution returning particularly Kearney's QB1 Rooney. Both are very likely to run the table until they meet again with a couple of little caveats: 1) Grandview may become a "any given night" threat (could easily make the C4 quarters watch that come November) and 2) Pittsburg KS looked good last week and returned good numbers.

It finally became such. Hasn't been a rivalry since 2018, frankly. All Warriors. Tonight is pure window dressing for the one that really matters. I think this is why Minnick is likely exercising caution returning particularly Kearney's QB1 Rooney. Both are very likely to run the table until they meet again with a couple of little caveats: 1) Grandview may become a "any given night" threat (could easily make the C4 quarters watch that come November) and 2) Pittsburg KS looked good last week and returned good numbers.

Contrary to the above, Kearney dominated the second half of last year on the ground in Game 1. They averaged 6 yards a carry. This year, they will average much more. The second game statistically was pretty close in terms of yards and first downs. NOT POINTS. The main stat was turnovers, where K had five. Six if you count the kickoff cover. But K still average close to 6 yards a carry. Kearney's D line will have their way tonight. Not sure about running game vs. SV? Will see.

Kearney has a lot of juice on the sidelines tonight though. These are two upper classes that are accustomed to beating Smithville in 8th and 9th grade by a considerable margin.

Contrary to the above, Kearney dominated the second half of last year on the ground in Game 1. They averaged 6 yards a carry. This year, they will average much more. The second game statistically was pretty close in terms of yards and first downs. NOT POINTS. The main stat was turnovers, where K had five. Six if you count the kickoff cover. But K still average close to 6 yards a carry. Kearney's D line will have their way tonight. Not sure about running game vs. SV? Will see.

Kearney has a lot of juice on the sidelines tonight though. These are two upper classes that are accustomed to beating Smithville in 8th and 9th grade by a considerable margin.
Smithville played with high stakes energy in the rematch. It caught Kearney a bit off guard. A non-statistical observation...............

Smithville played with high stakes energy in the rematch. It caught Kearney a bit off guard. A non-statistical observation...............
captain-obvious-obvious.gif

In regards to this game, I will be biased and say Smithville finds a way to win this game via the turnover battle. Kearney and Minnick teams have a tendency to cough up the ball consistently. KMO is older on D and more experience than Smithville. I think the battle of the trenches is more of a battle for which team and move the ball successfully in a balanced attack. As tophat mentioned, since 2018 this series of 92 has not been close. Game 1 last year was not some dominating performance, Smithville walked through the game and still had a chance to win. KMO shot their wad and did what they had never shown, won a game. Game 2 was the same old same old. I think tonight can change that narrative if Minnick can coach his best ever and keep the kids with a calm head.

KMO does have a very athletic but one dimensional Manny Linthecum at receiver. His speed is a great asset and weapon but crisp routes and finding windows in zone coverage are a negative. If they use him right, KMO can have a good night.

Smithville, as mentioned earlier by others, has veteran experience at receiver. I bet that is why against PC homerun balls are the choice. Historically Smithville is a 50/50 to 51/49 run to pass ratio. There is a ton of motion and moving parts. Defensively there is a test. High School kids are not professionals so the change in types of teams from Raytown to PC (who is good maybe great) can fluster a group.

It's going to be a close game, both teams will have some hidden tricks they will want to unveil this week against a conference and district opponent. Force the hand of defense to adjust. Historically KMO is very strict on defensive rules and refuses to shift or change what they do. Tonight might be a night where they may need to break those rules. Smithville will need to find a way to contain the RB and Manny to limit their touches and ball control.

They will meet again at the district championship unless Savannah some how wins when they shouldn't against one of these teams.

In regards to this game, I will be biased and say Smithville finds a way to win this game via the turnover battle. Kearney and Minnick teams have a tendency to cough up the ball consistently. KMO is older on D and more experience than Smithville. I think the battle of the trenches is more of a battle for which team and move the ball successfully in a balanced attack. As tophat mentioned, since 2018 this series of 92 has not been close. Game 1 last year was not some dominating performance, Smithville walked through the game and still had a chance to win. KMO shot their wad and did what they had never shown, won a game. Game 2 was the same old same old. I think tonight can change that narrative if Minnick can coach his best ever and keep the kids with a calm head.

KMO does have a very athletic but one dimensional Manny Linthecum at receiver. His speed is a great asset and weapon but crisp routes and finding windows in zone coverage are a negative. If they use him right, KMO can have a good night.

Smithville, as mentioned earlier by others, has veteran experience at receiver. I bet that is why against PC homerun balls are the choice. Historically Smithville is a 50/50 to 51/49 run to pass ratio. There is a ton of motion and moving parts. Defensively there is a test. High School kids are not professionals so the change in types of teams from Raytown to PC (who is good maybe great) can fluster a group.

It's going to be a close game, both teams will have some hidden tricks they will want to unveil this week against a conference and district opponent. Force the hand of defense to adjust. Historically KMO is very strict on defensive rules and refuses to shift or change what they do. Tonight might be a night where they may need to break those rules. Smithville will need to find a way to contain the RB and Manny to limit their touches and ball control.

They will meet again at the district championship unless Savannah some how wins when they shouldn't against one of these teams.

I think Smithville ran 19 times versus PC for 37 yards. So maybe 45-50% run last week. They were just unsucessful at at it. Not what one would expect.

I think Smithville ran 19 times versus PC for 37 yards. So maybe 45-50% run last week. They were just unsucessful at at it. Not what one would expect.
I totally agree! Season's and in-game play change the play calling. I'm excited to see how this one unfolds. Two top 5 Teams in Class 4.

Platte County's two big measuring sticks moving forward come weeks 4-5 hosting Grain Valley then Oak Park (these two hook up tonight).

A healthy Kearney and matured Smithville come District time I'd bet both semis are turbos.

If we fans know this you darned betcha the HCs, staffs and players are all over it. Last year Kearney had the incentive advantage the first game given Minnick had just arrived and many wondered if the first two wins were catching PC and Fort off guard. This year will be different. The two are far more eye to eye ergo this may be a pretty vanilla, D dominated game.

Reactions: Boogie_Mane
If we fans know this you darned betcha the HCs, staffs and players are all over it. Last year Kearney had the incentive advantage the first game given Minnick had just arrived and many wondered if the first two wins were catching PC and Fort off guard. This year will be different. The two are far more eye to eye ergo this may be a pretty vanilla, D dominated game.
So what kind of score are you predicting?

In many ways the K team looks a lot better than last year. Hard to gauge when you have 3-4 impact players out with injuries, and then have a flood of turnovers. Just don't see how you can score much with the QB situation the way it has been.

It is but you do hit on the discipline issue. As I am just a fan not touching that just an observation.

The line play will be interesting. Curious about how K defense handles the air attack. I don't put too much into this game because of the players they have out that they will have back in November.

The line play will be interesting. Curious about how K defense handles the air attack. I don't put too much into this game because of the players they have out that they will have back in November.
As stated many times this week and last this one is pretty much a tune up. I doubt we see anything fancy at all.

Idk where they find some of these D linemen some years. Just find large humans crawling out of KMO every year.
Well they got outfoxed and outplayed tonight overall. Both lines were dominated by Smithville who came in clearly smarting from that loss at Platte City last week.

IF the Ds tire out perhaps. I really, really like this Kearney D Line, though.
FAR too many mistakes. QB3 is playing through very trying circumstances but that will end next week in all likelihood as QB1 was warming up on the sidelines both in pregame and at half and looks extremely ready to go.

I felt for QB3 tonight but why even do the QB4 deal with your top WR??????? Kearney basically gave away the first quarter. Smithville was bouncing off the turf smarting after being shocked by Platte County last week. Kearney came out pretty flat.

In saying that there was one YUGE Kearney highlight and that was RB #6 Emmons. What a dominator he is! Gave me Broughton flashbacks tonight. I am sincerely sorry for being steamed about Kearney killing momentum essentially giving Smithville two short TD drives by onside kicking. Championship teams NEVER need that they just line up, kick it away and let their D get a stop and get you the ball back. The Bulldogs have an excellent D Line just don't get the need for EITHER of those both of which FAILED. Minnick is gonna be a top notch HC but clearly not there yet. Hope we see a whole other team come November when 99.9999 percent chance these two hook up again for all the marbles.

I thought this game was going to be closer.

I personally loved seeing Manny at QB but not as the main guy. He is a great athlete but not a football player. I think he needs the ball in space, jet sweeps, wildcat, and occasional throws when needed. Almost a fast Tebow-esque package.

Smithville our coaches and out played Hot Moms. I don’t think Minnick is an issue as a coach. I find year in and year out it’s different reasons but. Not evaluating the culture of the parents and kids of KMO. At some point turnovers, penalties, and injuries have to end.

Turnovers are too often and SVille keeps crating them and getting stronger each week. Penalties are a common behavior of KMO. There always has been problems there from after Jones through now. Injuries can be prevented. Their AST has to change. Turf does cause more injuries but power lifting 24/7 makes big kids but weak brittle bodies in a sport that demands everything. For Minnicks sake, focus on injury prevention and longevity.

Smithville rolled throughout the whole night. Passing, rushing, defense. They can still work on rush D. Next test is Pittsburg in a few weeks.

I thought this game was going to be closer.

I personally loved seeing Manny at QB but not as the main guy. He is a great athlete but not a football player. I think he needs the ball in space, jet sweeps, wildcat, and occasional throws when needed. Almost a fast Tebow-esque package.

Smithville our coaches and out played Hot Moms. I don’t think Minnick is an issue as a coach. I find year in and year out it’s different reasons but. Not evaluating the culture of the parents and kids of KMO. At some point turnovers, penalties, and injuries have to end.

Turnovers are too often and SVille keeps crating them and getting stronger each week. Penalties are a common behavior of KMO. There always has been problems there from after Jones through now. Injuries can be prevented. Their AST has to change. Turf does cause more injuries but power lifting 24/7 makes big kids but weak brittle bodies in a sport that demands everything. For Minnicks sake, focus on injury prevention and longevity.

Smithville rolled throughout the whole night. Passing, rushing, defense. They can still work on rush D. Next test is Pittsburg in a few weeks.
Kearney actually had two golden opportunities to parlay momentum into making this a horse race but I again go back to onside kicking. Trust your kids on D to get a stop then you get the ball back then you are really rolling. During several pre-season discussions I was asked what Kearney needs to do to become the team many believe this SR heavy one will become. Response was simple. Play MATURE. As you point out way too many pens again (refs did a GREAT job in this one kudos to them BTW) the INTs I can live with knowing that will go away once QB1 returns.

Not sure what you mean by Manny not being a FB player when he very obviously is. His numbers will go way up albeit against badly overmatched teams the next four weeks before I do believe now Kearney faces a big challenge at Grandview.

All of this is fixable but I am really, really getting over others making all these excuses. Amazing how one week can so change things and I do grant they have played three consecutive TOP programs but they continue to look undisciplined, usually a sign of inexperience.

AGAIN Kearney is not sneaking up on anyone this year but the gauntlet is over now it is time to fix all this again vs. a weak schedule overall before seeing the Warriors again with everything on the line.

I think round two will be much closer! Both teams made plenty of mistakes. I didn’t understand the onsides late in game. The going for two was a great move! Onside right after could have shifted that entire game!

To the Manny thing, I’d take several players of his ability. I’m not saying he can play and out athlete many kids but I don’t think he’s truly a football player or mind. Noland that graduated last year was a football player. The Strickland kid who graduated from Sville last year, he was a football player. It’s just a weird personal criterion and feeling of mine. Id love to see Manny do more wild cat for KMO to be successful.

I’m always impressed at the athletes at KMO. I hope for Minnicks sake he can grow and get better. The community over there in KMO can be harsh and compare to a guy who left over 10 years ago. I think minnick can change the culture but needs to clean up his football. The turnovers again are just too many. QB1 can change almost all of them.

Kearney actually had two golden opportunities to parlay momentum into making this a horse race but I again go back to onside kicking. Trust your kids on D to get a stop then you get the ball back then you are really rolling. During several pre-season discussions I was asked what Kearney needs to do to become the team many believe this SR heavy one will become. Response was simple. Play MATURE. As you point out way too many pens again (refs did a GREAT job in this one kudos to them BTW) the INTs I can live with knowing that will go away once QB1 returns.

Not sure what you mean by Manny not being a FB player when he very obviously is. His numbers will go way up albeit against badly overmatched teams the next four weeks before I do believe now Kearney faces a big challenge at Grandview.

All of this is fixable but I am really, really getting over others making all these excuses. Amazing how one week can so change things and I do grant they have played three consecutive TOP programs but they continue to look undisciplined, usually a sign of inexperience.

AGAIN Kearney is not sneaking up on anyone this year but the gauntlet is over now it is time to fix all this again vs. a weak schedule overall before seeing the Warriors again with everything on the line.
That RB was very impressive!

I think round two will be much closer! Both teams made plenty of mistakes. I didn’t understand the onsides late in game. The going for two was a great move! Onside right after could have shifted that entire game!

To the Manny thing, I’d take several players of his ability. I’m not saying he can play and out athlete many kids but I don’t think he’s truly a football player or mind. Noland that graduated last year was a football player. The Strickland kid who graduated from Sville last year, he was a football player. It’s just a weird personal criterion and feeling of mine. Id love to see Manny do more wild cat for KMO to be successful.

I’m always impressed at the athletes at KMO. I hope for Minnicks sake he can grow and get better. The community over there in KMO can be harsh and compare to a guy who left over 10 years ago. I think minnick can change the culture but needs to clean up his football. The turnovers again are just too many. QB1 can change almost all of them.
Had one night to digest some of it. Maybe we shall see. All gonna depend on what Kearney looks like down the stretch never mind the opposition. I am gonna check back in on them Week 8 at Grandview.

Jones actually left spring 2017 but yes I think many of us here in KTown are guilty of comparisons to a veteran, highly experienced HC who won two titles here. Make NO mistake I am very critical of what I saw last night but NOOOOOOOOO way do I want Minnick to go anywhere. I have a bad habit of coming across negative online. Meet me in person you find out otherwise fast..............

Again with all due respect I think you send a clear message to your D when you kick away instead of onside. Yes recovering it MAY have turned momentum for a bit but veteran HCs like Ambroson won't let that deter them. Not for one second. NOW in saying that I thought the fake punt, which worked, was another dice roll your side didn't need to do. Kudos for executing it, though.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page here.... In June Joey said "It will not be a good match up for the next two years"

Looks like he was right................................

Reactions: Stagolee
Again with all due respect I think you send a clear message to your D when you kick away instead of onside. Yes recovering it MAY have turned momentum for a bit but veteran HCs like Ambroson won't let that deter them. Not for one second. NOW in saying that I thought the fake punt, which worked, was another dice roll your side didn't need to do. Kudos for executing it, though.
I 100% agree. If you think you can win, strap it up and go right at them. Don't mess around with bizarre defenses, trick plays etc.

I felt that way last year in the District Championship game. I might be old school but the opening trick play TD by Kearney is kind of a cheap one. It made me think at the time though, that they don't think they can win going head up.

I 100% agree. If you think you can win, strap it up and go right at them. Don't mess around with bizarre defenses, trick plays etc.

I felt that way last year in the District Championship game. I might be old school but the opening trick play TD by Kearney is kind of a cheap one. It made me think at the time though, that they don't think they can win going head up.
Just a long term observation but HCs especially inexperienced ones tend to out think themselves on occasion.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page here.... In June Joey said "It will not be a good match up for the next two years"

Looks like he was right................................
Individual talent is USELESS unless molded properly. Jury is still out on whether this will happen in Kearney this year or no never mind the injury situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT