ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time? Is it time Webb City?

Donald Trump GIF

please correct me if I’m incorrect but isn’t WC the first and only heritage COC team to lose to an OC team.? Willard and Neosho both prevail. Certainly an end to an era.

please correct me if I’m incorrect but isn’t WC the first and only heritage COC team to lose to an OC team.? Willard and Neosho both prevail. Certainly an end to an era.
The COC newcomers are now 1-11. They end the season playing each other so someone will probably finish the season strong out of that group.

Reactions: I2R I
The only real “heritage” COC teams left in the COC are Ozark, Nixa, Republic and Willard.

All the Southwest Conference teams joined what… a decade ago?

The only real “heritage” COC teams left in the COC are Ozark, Nixa, Republic and Willard.

All the Southwest Conference teams joined what… a decade ago?
Got it. Laziness on my part. Heritage was easier to type than “the teams that just joined this year”.

Wonder how many roadtrips to Lebanon and Waynesville it will take before Carthage Webb and Neosho begin to look back at the SWC a little more fondly?
For what it's worth Webb City played schools like Lebanon, Camdenton and KC Central back in the SWC days because they needed opponents. Travel (for football) was just as bad back then as now. But there are factors that could possibly make a re-tread of the old SWC worth considering. If the likes of Nevada and McDonald Co can compete I could see adding them, along with CJ, to Webb Carthage Joplin and Neosho. That's a decent SW Conference with room to schedule up or down depending on each schools preference.

The other thing is Jr High sports in this new conf are terrible. Not because of Lebanon and waynesville but because of all the SPS middle schools. Was talking to a parent the other day who said they've been playing these SPS middle schools in volleyball, making all these trips to Springfield and these schools don't even know how to play. So far in 3 games haven't seen even one successful overhand serve from any of those schools. The final scores are like 25-3, 25-4, etc with SPS only points being serve errors. Maybe other sports are better I don't know. But I don't see that arrangement lasting long.

For what it's worth Webb City played schools like Lebanon, Camdenton and KC Central back in the SWC days because they needed opponents. Travel (for football) was just as bad back then as now. But there are factors that could possibly make a re-tread of the old SWC worth considering. If the likes of Nevada and McDonald Co can compete I could see adding them, along with CJ, to Webb Carthage Joplin and Neosho. That's a decent SW Conference with room to schedule up or down depending on each schools preference.

The other thing is Jr High sports in this new conf are terrible. Not because of Lebanon and waynesville but because of all the SPS middle schools. Was talking to a parent the other day who said they've been playing these SPS middle schools in volleyball, making all these trips to Springfield and these schools don't even know how to play. So far in 3 games haven't seen even one successful overhand serve from any of those schools. The final scores are like 25-3, 25-4, etc with SPS only points being serve errors. Maybe other sports are better I don't know. But I don't see that arrangement lasting long.
Where doesn't Kickapoo get their volleyball players if the Springfield middle schools suck?

Yes I agree about junior high sports. Both the Springfield and Joplin areas have enough bigger schools to end all of this travel. The Joplin schools can include Pittsburg as well.

Webb is like Kearney in a lot of ways. Both dominate Class 4 and are pedestrian in class 5. At least Webb nabbed a championship in Class 5. Kearney was sucked into a black hole during their time in Class 5 until the football gods pulled them out of purgatory and landed them back into Class 4.

As for this year's Webb team, they have no deep pass defense. Just throw the ball deep and you're assured a TD.

I’ve been told the basketball is good at the middle school level in SPS, but one has to wonder if it will seem that way since there are so many middle schools. Could be watered down. Similar to West Plains having 6 middles schools that play basketball.

Webb is like Kearney in a lot of ways. Both dominate Class 4 and are pedestrian in class 5. At least Webb nabbed a championship in Class 5. Kearney was sucked into a black hole during their time in Class 5 until the football gods pulled them out of purgatory and landed them back into Class 4.

As for this year's Webb team, they have no deep pass defense. Just throw the ball deep and you're assured a TD.
Kearney made the 2013 C5 semifinals ran into an all star LSW moving to their permanent C6 home. They will do just fine when they move back up.

Reactions: TheDaddy
Move-ins have a NEW destination in SW Missouri now...

That ain’t a new thing. Nixa athletics have had their fair share of move ins over the years. JP is just smart enough to get them to play football no matter the cost. Bball player that needs to shoot hoops before school during football season? Sure, not a problem. Just come catch some passes on Friday night. JP gets it boys, you don’t have to be 1000% committed to football 1000% of the time to be successful.

I’ve been told the basketball is good at the middle school level in SPS, but one has to wonder if it will seem that way since there are so many middle schools. Could be watered down. Similar to West Plains having 6 middles schools that play basketball.
Possible it’s a situation similar to what used to be the case in Joplin. When they joined the coc each of the middle schools had their own team and apparently they couldn’t compete with the other coc districts that had all their eggs in one basket so to speak. Now they combine them, A and B teams play COC and I guess they have C teams as well that play a different schedule entirely, mostly smaller schools in the area.

I don’t know enough about SPS to speculate if such a thing would even be possible there. Seems like it would be really complicated and not worth the effort.

That ain’t a new thing. Nixa athletics have had their fair share of move ins over the years. JP is just smart enough to get them to play football no matter the cost. Bball player that needs to shoot hoops before school during football season? Sure, not a problem. Just come catch some passes on Friday night. JP gets it boys, you don’t have to be 1000% committed to football 1000% of the time to be successful.
That is the problem with too many sports in too many schools now. Coaches say you’re either in 110% with my sport or you’re out. To their defense I kinda get it because they are under pressure to win and they want everyone committed but if that means some of your best players aren’t playing I’m not sure you’re really ahead.

Possible it’s a situation similar to what used to be the case in Joplin. When they joined the coc each of the middle schools had their own team and apparently they couldn’t compete with the other coc districts that had all their eggs in one basket so to speak. Now they combine them, A and B teams play COC and I guess they have C teams as well that play a different schedule entirely, mostly smaller schools in the area.

I don’t know enough about SPS to speculate if such a thing would even be possible there. Seems like it would be really complicated and not worth the effort.
My daughter played junior high basketball at CJ during the last year that each Joplin middle school had their own girls basketball team. Joplin girls basketball is bad enough for whatever reason but those teams split into 3 teams was horrific.

I know this is a football board but there is more to choosing where to live and send your kids than the football program. Out of 352 ranked HS’ in Mo, check out Kearney and Nixa. No Springfield public schools in the top 100. So if you are successful in the Springfield area and you want the best for your kids, where are you headed? Nixa or maybe Republic and steering clear of Central and HillCrest If you work in the Joplin area you are checking out WC (51) and CJ (61). Joplin High checks in at 170.
Nixa will be near the top of many COC activities for some time to come.

RankSchoolGradesScore (2023)
1Metro High9-1297.5
2St. Elizabeth High6-1295.7
3Kearney High10-1291.3
4Ft. Zumwalt South High9-1290.7
5Ft. Zumwalt West High9-1290.6
6Nixa High9-1290.6
7Francis Howell High9-1289.5
8Collegiate School Of Med/Bio9-1289.1
9Park Hill South High9-1288.8
10Clayton High9-1287.6

The other thing is Jr High sports in this new conf are terrible. Not because of Lebanon and waynesville but because of all the SPS middle schools.
Bingo! I know I throw shade at the “west” schools all the time, but I can honestly say it’s all performance art and in good fun. I respect those schools because of their small town/community/school values and the emphasis on athletics. SPS sub HS level sports are an absolute $hit show. And nobody seems to care. Bball is just as bad. Not even sure how football is still alive at that level in SPS. For as well managed as I believe their HS programs are, their non HS programs seem like an absolute mess.

Reactions: Jordan_Belfort
It's better than crappy at the schools that feed Poo, other than that it's a huge mess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT