ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time? Is it time Webb City?

Webb is like Kearney in a lot of ways. Both dominate Class 4 and are pedestrian in class 5. At least Webb nabbed a championship in Class 5. Kearney was sucked into a black hole during their time in Class 5 until the football gods pulled them out of purgatory and landed them back into Class 4.

As for this year's Webb team, they have no deep pass defense. Just throw the ball deep and you're assured a TD.
Pedestrian? When K was in Class 5 they were #2 ranked behind Lee's Summit West (lost to them in the semi) the state champ. They were only in Class 5 for two years. N Please.

Last edited:
I know this is a football board but there is more to choosing where to live and send your kids than the football program. Out of 352 ranked HS’ in Mo, check out Kearney and Nixa. No Springfield public schools in the top 100. So if you are successful in the Springfield area and you want the best for your kids, where are you headed? Nixa or maybe Republic and steering clear of Central and HillCrest If you work in the Joplin area you are checking out WC (51) and CJ (61). Joplin High checks in at 170.
Nixa will be near the top of many COC activities for some time to come.

RankSchoolGradesScore (2023)
1Metro High9-1297.5
2St. Elizabeth High6-1295.7
3Kearney High10-1291.3
4Ft. Zumwalt South High9-1290.7
5Ft. Zumwalt West High9-1290.6
6Nixa High9-1290.6
7Francis Howell High9-1289.5
8Collegiate School Of Med/Bio9-1289.1
9Park Hill South High9-1288.8
10Clayton High9-1287.6
You have a link or a source for this? I'd love to look at the whole thing. Totally agree on your assessment of SWMO, btw.

Pedestrian? When K was in Class 5 they were #2 ranked behind Lee's Summit West (lost to them in the semi) the state champ. They were only in Class 5 for two years. N Please.
stamp GIF by European Commission

• Haha
Reactions: Eagles_Ball
Nixa is killing it in SWMO in athletics.
I shared some info awhile back where out of curiosity I had measured the strength of each coc school across 10 of the most common sports. I had a lot of time on my hands that day. Anyway, it was pretty astounding how much of an outlier Nixa was. They were out in front by a mile. Not only did they have the most #1 finishes but they were no worse than 3rd/4th in ANY sport. Ozark and Republic were the next best but even they had a few sports that were duds.

Of course it was only a year snapshot but I suspect you could take just about any year and see similar results.

I told someone awhile back to watch out if Perry really gets it going with football for a sustained period of time their fans will put the Webbies to shame in terms of being large in number and overly proud and obnoxious. It's a similar situation to WC where it's the destination district of it's area but twice the size and with triple the household income, lol.

Reactions: Arcola
I shared some info awhile back where out of curiosity I had measured the strength of each coc school across 10 of the most common sports. I had a lot of time on my hands that day. Anyway, it was pretty astounding how much of an outlier Nixa was. They were out in front by a mile. Not only did they have the most #1 finishes but they were no worse than 3rd/4th in ANY sport. Ozark and Republic were the next best but even they had a few sports that were duds.

Of course it was only a year snapshot but I suspect you could take just about any year and see similar results.

I told someone awhile back to watch out if Perry really gets it going with football for a sustained period of time their fans will put the Webbies to shame in terms of being large in number and overly proud and obnoxious. It's a similar situation to WC where it's the destination district of it's area but twice the size and with triple the household income, lol.
I feel like I remember that thread. I've got access to the "all COC" results, heck I might have even posted them in those threads. What you're saying is DOB's accurate. Nixa was in 1st, but there was a massive gap between 1st and everyone else. IIRC, the last few all COC results looks about like the conference looks like in football this year. Nixa way better than everyone else. Another half dozen schools grouped tightly together, and then a gap followed by a smaller (3-4 schools) group that was pretty non-competitive across the board.

I feel like I remember that thread. I've got access to the "all COC" results, heck I might have even posted them in those threads. What you're saying is DOB's accurate. Nixa was in 1st, but there was a massive gap between 1st and everyone else. IIRC, the last few all COC results looks about like the conference looks like in football this year. Nixa way better than everyone else. Another half dozen schools grouped tightly together, and then a gap followed by a smaller (3-4 schools) group that was pretty non-competitive across the board.
Kind of. Ozark and Republic were still clearly better than the rest but not as good as Nixa. Neosho and to a lesser extent Carl Junction were really the only non-competetive ones when you just look strictly at wins and losses. When enrollment was used as a factor it actually showed Carl Junction as outperforming most of the COC except for the other wealthy districts with low diversity.

Kind of. Ozark and Republic were still clearly better than the rest but not as good as Nixa. Neosho and to a lesser extent Carl Junction were really the only non-competetive ones when you just look strictly at wins and losses. When enrollment was used as a factor it actually showed Carl Junction as outperforming most of the COC except for the other wealthy districts with low diversity.
I saw one of these that was done by a Christian County paper. Nixa was 1st in boys and girls sports. CJ was 4th in girls sports and 10th in boys.

I saw one of these that was done by a Christian County paper. Nixa was 1st in boys and girls sports. CJ was 4th in girls sports and 10th in boys.
I'm fairly certain that's the "all COC" rankings the conference releases. Iirc...They list all conference sports across the x axis and schools down the y axis. They put their conference finish in each sport (10 for 1st in the old alignment, 9 for 2nd, and so on) and then total them up.

Thanks! My bad though, I thought this was strictly geared toward athletics. No offense to their rankings, but I can't imagine St. E. is really that good.

Here’s what I could gather on St Eizabeth.
They used to have boys soccer but it didn’t last. So they have two boys sports(3 technically)

Fall Baseball
Basketball
Spring Baseball

Theres only a postseason in 2 of those sports to my knowledge.

Records since 2016

Fall Baseball (102-22) 82.3% winning percentage (7.5 years)
no losing seasons
Up to date as of this week.

Spring Baseball (126-43) 74.5% winning percentage (last 7 years)
(didn’t play at all Covid year)
No losing seasons
Haven’t lost a district title since 15-16
In that span they've also won 3 state championships and 2 state runner-ups in 7 years

Basketball (124-54) 69.6% winning percentage (last 6 years)
No losing seasons
6 straight district championships
State Runner-Up twice
State 3rd place twice

In the sports they play that have a postseason, they’ve won 13 out of a possible 13 district championships in those years.
And have walked away with some kind of state hardware in 9 of those 13 seasons
3 state championships
4 state runner-up
2 state 3rd place

They may not be good in an athletic sense compared to schools such as Nixa, Webb, etc. that have a strong tradition and fantastic athletes most of the time, but for Class 1 school, St Elizabeth does about as well as you could hope. Probably better.

Here’s what I could gather on St Eizabeth.
They used to have boys soccer but it didn’t last. So they have two boys sports(3 technically)

Fall Baseball
Basketball
Spring Baseball

Theres only a postseason in 2 of those sports to my knowledge.

Records since 2016

Fall Baseball (102-22) 82.3% winning percentage (7.5 years)
no losing seasons
Up to date as of this week.

Spring Baseball (126-43) 74.5% winning percentage (last 7 years)
(didn’t play at all Covid year)
No losing seasons
Haven’t lost a district title since 15-16
In that span they've also won 3 state championships and 2 state runner-ups in 7 years

Basketball (124-54) 69.6% winning percentage (last 6 years)
No losing seasons
6 straight district championships
State Runner-Up twice
State 3rd place twice

In the sports they play that have a postseason, they’ve won 13 out of a possible 13 district championships in those years.
And have walked away with some kind of state hardware in 9 of those 13 seasons
3 state championships
4 state runner-up
2 state 3rd place

They may not be good in an athletic sense compared to schools such as Nixa, Webb, etc. that have a strong tradition and fantastic athletes most of the time, but for Class 1 school, St Elizabeth does about as well as you could hope. Probably better.
Oh no, for sure. St E has a great small school rep in athletics. I would just question ranking ANY school that high based on limited opportunities both academically and athletically. I did a little digging on School Digger (that's a lot of dig). Their rankings are based strictly on MAP data.

Reactions: ChaoticFanatic
Pretty sure Nixa is already the destination, I've been saying that for years and the population growth backs that up, it just doesn't get talked about as much because they have sucked at football until now.

I don't think I would say they "sucked." They were really good in some years and just decent in others.

Reactions: thetophat2021
I don't think I would say they "sucked." They were really good in some years and just decent in others.
I would say they were pretty average, looking back at the years between them finishing 2nd in Class 5 in 2014 and Perry’s first year 2020, they were finishing around .500 every year, even going 3-7 in 2018. Love him or eye roll at him, Perry’s found a way to get the athletes to come out for football that Nixa’s always had in other sports.

I would say they were pretty average, looking back at the years between them finishing 2nd in Class 5 in 2014 and Perry’s first year 2020, they were finishing around .500 every year, even going 3-7 in 2018. Love him or eye roll at him, Perry’s found a way to get the athletes to come out for football that Nixa’s always had in other sports.
Carthage played them in district or quarters I think 3 years in a row, they were pretty good the first couple of those years, they were in a really weak district the 3rd year. They had that FSU kid. Nixa won the first meeting by 2. Carthage won the next year by 2 which ended up being Carthage first deep playoff run. Carthage won the following year by a lot. After that they only played in the regular season and didn't have a close game until 2 years ago.

The only complaint I've heard about Perry (this was from some Nixa fans) is that he doesn't let the reserves or jv get any playing time even if they are up 48-0 in the 4Q. I've noticed when they've played Carthage they are the only team I've seen that keeps trying to score even after the game can be won by taking a knee.

Reactions: Jordan_Belfort
There's more to a measurement of success than a state title. Nixa is killing it in SWMO in athletics. Anyone that argues that is clueless or holed up in their parents basement in Jasper County.
Nixa is having an influx of transfers. They be the new Webb City 😂

Carthage played them in district or quarters I think 3 years in a row, they were pretty good the first couple of those years, they were in a really weak district the 3rd year. They had that FSU kid. Nixa won the first meeting by 2. Carthage won the next year by 2 which ended up being Carthage first deep playoff run. Carthage won the following year by a lot. After that they only played in the regular season and didn't have a close game until 2 years ago.

The only complaint I've heard about Perry (this was from some Nixa fans) is that he doesn't let the reserves or jv get any playing time even if they are up 48-0 in the 4Q. I've noticed when they've played Carthage they are the only team I've seen that keeps trying to score even after the game can be won by taking a knee.
I noticed at the Nixa/Joplin game Jasper started sending in the backups during the 3rd quarter. It was not until then Perry started sending his in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT