ADVERTISEMENT

Is everyone looking past Ava in Class 2?

PapaT23

Nov 12, 2006
I have not seen any mention of the Lamar-Ava game. Ava is capable of beating any team in Class 2. I know that the Lamar coaching staff and fans are taking Ava seriously. They know how tough Ava can be. The last two quarterfinal meetings between the two have been dogfights with the visiting team winning. I see this years contest as another down to the wire battle between two physical type teams.

I have watched several youtube games of Ava. They are the real deal. They are huge on the line and have four ball carriers that can take it the distance on any given play. They play in a tough, physical conference, the South Central Association that prepares them for big games. They are well coached and run a version of the triple option. I think Lamar can slow them down but, I think Ava will break some for big yardage. They are not a great passing team but, they run, run, run and then all of a sudden catch you cheating in and have a receiver get behind the defense.

As for Lamar, they also like to run the ball. They spread the carries around a little more than Ava, with 7 or 8 different ball carriers getting touches. Like Ava, any of them can take it the distance on any given carry. The line is a bit undersized compared to past Lamar linemen but, they are athletic and physical. They have been smaller than every team they have faced this year. As with Ava, Lamar is well coached and play in the Big 8 West, one of the best small school conferences in the state.

I don't know how Ava is injury wise. I know they had their share of injuries last year. Like every team this time of year, I'm sure they are battling to stay healthy. Lamar has been hit by the injury bug this year, losing a senior offensive lineman to a leg injury on Friday night. But, they should be getting a pair of starters back this week. Both have missed 7 or 8 weeks of action with broken bones. One was an all state first team running back last year. His return could give Lamar a boost.

I have not seen any mention of the Lamar-Ava game. Ava is capable of beating any team in Class 2. I know that the Lamar coaching staff and fans are taking Ava seriously. They know how tough Ava can be. The last two quarterfinal meetings between the two have been dogfights with the visiting team winning. I see this years contest as another down to the wire battle between two physical type teams.

I have watched several youtube games of Ava. They are the real deal. They are huge on the line and have four ball carriers that can take it the distance on any given play. They play in a tough, physical conference, the South Central Association that prepares them for big games. They are well coached and run a version of the triple option. I think Lamar can slow them down but, I think Ava will break some for big yardage. They are not a great passing team but, they run, run, run and then all of a sudden catch you cheating in and have a receiver get behind the defense.

As for Lamar, they also like to run the ball. They spread the carries around a little more than Ava, with 7 or 8 different ball carriers getting touches. Like Ava, any of them can take it the distance on any given carry. The line is a bit undersized compared to past Lamar linemen but, they are athletic and physical. They have been smaller than every team they have faced this year. As with Ava, Lamar is well coached and play in the Big 8 West, one of the best small school conferences in the state.

I don't know how Ava is injury wise. I know they had their share of injuries last year. Like every team this time of year, I'm sure they are battling to stay healthy. Lamar has been hit by the injury bug this year, losing a senior offensive lineman to a leg injury on Friday night. But, they should be getting a pair of starters back this week. Both have missed 7 or 8 weeks of action with broken bones. One was an all state first team running back last year. His return could give Lamar a boost.
No, Ava is a worthy opponent

Yes! Let's talk about this game, (trolling or not) but there are several factual errors in your post:

Lamar beat ava at ava in 2017, Lamar beat Ava at Lamar in 2018, and Ava beat Lamar at Lamar in 2019. Each contest was decided by 12 points or less. Two of those games saw the winner playing for the state championship with Lamar winning in 2017.

Classifying the SCA as a tough conference is debatable. Four teams played for district championships, and only those four have had any measurable success in the past 10 years, but have been mostly inconsistent with the exception of Ava and Thayer.

Classifying Ava as "huge on the line" is certainly a stretch. Adequately sized, strong and physical, but not "huge".

The '21 version of Lamar O and D lines have not been smaller than every team they have faced. In fact, they have been comparable or bigger in size than every team with the exception of Mac Co. Those that understand football know that size at this level certainly does not guarantee effectiveness or ability.

My opinion: This will be a great high school football game, and the winner should certainly be able to compete for a state title. There is tremendous respect for and from both sides by coaches, players and fans. Ava is planning a "miracle minute" to raise money for a recently injured player from Liberty, something they learned from Lamar when their fans did the same for one of Ava's players in 2017. This, ladies and gentleman is the way HS football should be! The weather looks decent, both crowds will be hyped, and the players on both sides will be ready. It should be fun to watch.

Reactions: Flint222 and Arcola
No one with a brain would overlook Ava in this matchup. They have proven they can play with Lamar in years past. They have a really good coach who is always prepared. They play as hard as anyone around. Should be a great ball game between 2 big dogs

Reactions: Arcola
Yes! Let's talk about this game, (trolling or not) but there are several factual errors in your post:

Lamar beat ava at ava in 2017, Lamar beat Ava at Lamar in 2018, and Ava beat Lamar at Lamar in 2019. Each contest was decided by 12 points or less. Two of those games saw the winner playing for the state championship with Lamar winning in 2017.

Classifying the SCA as a tough conference is debatable. Four teams played for district championships, and only those four have had any measurable success in the past 10 years, but have been mostly inconsistent with the exception of Ava and Thayer.

Classifying Ava as "huge on the line" is certainly a stretch. Adequately sized, strong and physical, but not "huge".

The '21 version of Lamar O and D lines have not been smaller than every team they have faced. In fact, they have been comparable or bigger in size than every team with the exception of Mac Co. Those that understand football know that size at this level certainly does not guarantee effectiveness or ability.

My opinion: This will be a great high school football game, and the winner should certainly be able to compete for a state title. There is tremendous respect for and from both sides by coaches, players and fans. Ava is planning a "miracle minute" to raise money for a recently injured player from Liberty, something they learned from Lamar when their fans did the same for one of Ava's players in 2017. This, ladies and gentleman is the way HS football should be! The weather looks decent, both crowds will be hyped, and the players on both sides will be ready. It should be fun to watch.
I think most people in SWMO view the SCA as a very good football conference.
On Ava all I have seen is on the Ozone. They do have at least one very large lineman!

Reactions: 503_Maple
if I tried that at that speed I would for sure cut a leg off and I could only do about three before I would have to stop to rest.
If the guy who posted that tried any physical labor, he’d go into cardiac arrest.

If the guy who posted that tried any physical labor, he’d go into cardiac arrest.
fee1e80f-2731-4090-af05-5cf6319d4824_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT