ADVERTISEMENT

Class 5 D6 (Webb City and Carthage)

sw5890

Aug 18, 2015
Carthage shouldn't have any trouble with Willard.

On the other side of the district I know most people are looking past this week at the presumed WC/Carthage match however I think Republic could possibly make a move on Webb. Webb ran all over Republic early in the regular season but otherwise they look pretty similar with losses to the same teams. Webb averages more on offense but Republic has a slightly better defense. So who knows. Talked to a friend of mine the other day and he said Roderique is digging into the freshman class and bringing up some more players to add to the depth chart a bit.

Anyone besides me think the 2/3 game might actually be a game?

I have been thinking about this. I don't think Republic will pull it off but I could see 35-21.

Republic blows out bad teams and gets beaten handily by good teams. Their offense and defense are way too one dimensional.

With that being said, Webb's defense is subpar, so Republic can score a couple of times. And Republic's blitzing defense could cause fumbling issues.

But I would imagine Webb hits 5 or 6 plays for over 30 yards and scores at least 35 this Friday.

Webb wins by 2+ touchdowns and I highly doubt there are any freshman that will make a difference this year. However I do know they have a freshman that goes about 6’5 240 who has a chance to be really good in the near future.

I suspect Webb will out "big play" Republic and get a couple quick scores at some point in the game that will swing it in their favor. Republic will likely move the ball though and if they can force a few turnovers they may have a chance. I really doubt they win it, but if they do I won't be floored.

Not very relevant to this Friday’s game, but at the rate Republic is growing they should have some serious potential to become a real contender in the COC and a threat to win this district in class 5 at some point.

Not very relevant to this Friday’s game, but at the rate Republic is growing they should have some serious potential to become a real contender in the COC and a threat to win this district in class 5 at some point.
True. After Carthage's class of 23 graduates, they're going to have serious troubles for a few years so republic might be the 2nd best team in the district then.

True. After Carthage's class of 23 graduates, they're going to have serious troubles for a few years so republic might be the 2nd best team in the district then.

Carthage has a good jv and frosh team do they not?

doubt they will step back too much.
The jv team has a lot of class of 23 playing. The class of 24 is maybe the weakest they've had in at least 20 years. There are a couple big kids with potential in the 9th grade. They won't be terrible but they won't be at the level of the past several teams.

Carthage will have a couple of very mediocre years after the class of 23. Will be very uncarthage like.

As long as Guidie is at Carthage, things will be fine. Remember: "Fine" is relative. Fine might not be 9 - 0, with first round byes, going deep into the playoffs and the usual post season, top 10 ranking. But fine will be consistent winning seasons and in the top 3 of the COC. An opposing conference coach once said, "No one hides their weaknesses better than Jon Guidie". There may be a slimmer senior class, but a stronger junior class behind them and one or two soph that step up and contribute. And other programs are the same; the stud running back that'll never be replaced, well guess what, they are. Part of being in one of the best conferences in the state is while your "fine" would win the conference title some places, in the COC it might only be 3rd place and result in grumbling at the donut shop. In some places "fine" will get the field named after you in retirement, in the COC "fine" will get you lit up on message boards.
Here's where Carthage could be going in a few years, at the rate the district is growing: Class 6. That's class six with student enrollment, but no significant increase in the number of kids out for football. Jon Guidie has done an incredible job over the past 17 seasons keeping the Carthage program in the spotlight, filling spots vacated by all-district and all-state graduates and the kids stocked in new district and conference champion t-shirts. Every program will have it's occasional down year, but with the system in place and the expectations high, the Carthage Tigers are going to be ok. Out.

As long as Guidie is at Carthage, things will be fine. Remember: "Fine" is relative. Fine might not be 9 - 0, with first round byes, going deep into the playoffs and the usual post season, top 10 ranking. But fine will be consistent winning seasons and in the top 3 of the COC. An opposing conference coach once said, "No one hides their weaknesses better than Jon Guidie". There may be a slimmer senior class, but a stronger junior class behind them and one or two soph that step up and contribute. And other programs are the same; the stud running back that'll never be replaced, well guess what, they are. Part of being in one of the best conferences in the state is while your "fine" would win the conference title some places, in the COC it might only be 3rd place and result in grumbling at the donut shop. In some places "fine" will get the field named after you in retirement, in the COC "fine" will get you lit up on message boards.
Here's where Carthage could be going in a few years, at the rate the district is growing: Class 6. That's class six with student enrollment, but no significant increase in the number of kids out for football. Jon Guidie has done an incredible job over the past 17 seasons keeping the Carthage program in the spotlight, filling spots vacated by all-district and all-state graduates and the kids stocked in new district and conference champion t-shirts. Every program will have it's occasional down year, but with the system in place and the expectations high, the Carthage Tigers are going to be ok. Out.
Well written post. Enjoy comments like this.

A coach can only cover up so much. Players are what matter.

damn has it been 17 years already...wth.

Agree with most of this but Carthage is nowhere near going to class 6. Nixa and Ozark are barely class 6 and much larger. I could see Carthage settling in at the larger end of Class 5.

If Republic is +2 or so in the turnover margin, this could be battle, but I think that's the only way. Webb's D, as discussed, isn't very good. But I can't see Republic hanging with them unless they get a couple more possessions. Webb is better, for sure, but I don't thing their margin is as large as it normally is.

Nice post, I mostly agree but I don't see Carthage in C6. The demographics of the town are very unusual. It's not like Republic or Nixa where loads and loads of white middle and upper middle class people are moving into sprawling subdivisions that are filling in every parcel of nearby farmland.

Carthage remains my favorite to win Class 5 BUT this rematch will be CLOSER than the regular season match.
I think so as well . Carthage is definitely the better team but anything can happen . Webb was a bit short handed the first time they played but Webb will have to play absolutely perfect and hit some big plays to win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT