ADVERTISEMENT

What if you could post up strong at about 6'2, 210 as a sophomore

studlyduck

Feb 10, 2013
has decent post moves, but your coaching staff just pays "lip service" to post play? No serious encouragement by the coaching staff let alone desire by the perimeter players themselves for post entries when you are "shaped up" strong. You take pride in getting back on defense, playing hard on defense, boxing out, getting on loose balls when you can, bust your AZZ for offensive boards, try to hit the open man, etc. Wouldn't you be a little frustrated as a young player at the lack of true respect by the coaching staff for what you are trying to do? Oh maybe it's because you don't "jack up" the 3 every chance you get and hit a few once in a while . The coach will probably not be overly concerned about the other things just yell about them.

This post was edited on 2/5 12:12 AM by studlyduck

Re: What if you could post up strong at about 6'2, 210, had good post moves

Originally posted by studlyduck:
but your coaching staff just pays "lip service" to post play? No serious encouragement by the coaching staff let alone desire by the perimeter players themselves for post entries when you are "shaped up" strong. You take pride in getting back on defense, playing hard on defense, boxing out, getting on loose balls when you can, bust your AZZ for offensive boards, try to hit the open man, etc. Wouldn't you be a little frustrated as a young player at the lack of true respect by the coaching staff for what you are trying to do? Oh maybe it's because you don't "jack up" the 3 every chance you get.
This post was edited on 2/4 11:06 PM by studlyduck
Well, I can think of a couple of things I would do if I could post up strong at about 6'2, 210, had good post moves:
1. Figure out a way to get studlyduck to be the head coach.
2. Work on my game and get better at playing on the perimeter where most players who are 6-foot-2 play.
3. Blame poor coaching and a lack of touches for the reason Mizzou hasn't offered me a scholarship.
4. Be grateful I played at Sullivan and not in the Ozark Conference, the Metro Catholic or at a good/decent/average Class 5 school where most of the good guards are 6-2.

Seriously, I had to chuckle when I saw the title of this thread. I've seen about 99 posts this season beating up the Sullivan coaches for not properly utilizing a stable of all-state caliber post players and I envisioned a bunch of 6-7 kids standing around in the paint.

I've been following HS hoops for 20 years and I can name on one hand the number of 6-2 kids I would consider very good post players. Most of those kids played above the rim and impacted the game with their athleticism, not having the guards throw the ball to them 40 times a game.

Can honestly say I am thrilled to death I don't care about Sullivan basketball and don't know anyone there that's for sure.

mowesten, studlyduck WAS the head coach at Sullivan for 17 years

He averaged over 20 wins a season for 17 years. He helped developed quite a few all-staters. How does that match up with your resume'?

This post was edited on 2/5 12:10 AM by studlyduck

Re: mowesten, studlyduck WAS the head coach at Sullivan for 17 years

Originally posted by studlyduck:
He averaged over 20 wins a season for 17 years. He helped developed quite a few all-staters. How does that match up with your resume'?

This post was edited on 2/5 12:10 AM by studlyduck
Well, I can honestly say I enjoy every minute of every day of my life, and that's the only thing on my resume that matters to me ... Everyone has different priorities in life.

But beyond comparing resumes (which seems rather childish), I have to wonder if I'm missing something. So, help me out: Studlyduck was the former coach at Sullivan? And now, Studlyduck is on a message board criticizing the current coaching staff at Sullivan about once a week?

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a former coach publicly trashing a current coach. It's kind of sad.

Like I said, I'm incredibly grateful that I don't know anyone from Sullivan. Sounds like I would be a little less happy if I did. Best of luck to everyone involved.

mowesten, you do have a great resume'

"Well, I can honestly say I enjoy every minute of every
day of my life, and that's the only thing on my resume that matters to
me ..."
There is a personality conflict involved, but I'm going to try to ease up. I'm just really concerned about an individual lack of development situation. But it might not all be on the coaching staff.

This kid had 16 tonite

Some well designed touches down low with his back to the basket. Drew quite a few fouls. I may have to eat some words.

This post was edited on 2/5 6:28 PM by studlyduck

6"2 sounds small for a post player class 3 or not. Sounds like he needs to get a perimeter game going, learn how to dribble in the open court and develope a mid range jumper. Otherwise he is a small forward with decent post skills and that about sums it up. Stop taking to a message board thinking your kid will get more touches because u keep bitching, or apply for the hc job if u can still handle it....but I guess your time has passed. Tired of seeing u repeat the same sh$@ every post

bksfg4, sometimes a person can't be afraid to "rattle some cages"

There probably was some "overkill". Playing time and "touches" were not big issues. If a coach is the kind of person that would "jerk" a kid around, that has a good attitude and has shown actual game production, because of a parent's opinion as a fan about the team's play, there's not much that can be done about that by an ordinary parent/fan. That would be something for the administration to monitor. I'm more concerned about the team playing sound basketball and seeing player development. I've seen some signs of improvements in both areas recently. Ex. good man defense, better interior defense and box out and some decent attempts at posting up and perimeter players getting it inside occasionally. I hope it continues.

This post was edited on 2/7 6:58 PM by studlyduck

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT