ADVERTISEMENT

Kearney 39, Fort 17 my hot takes etc.

thetophat2021

Jun 14, 2021
Kearney, MO
This one had a very odd feel right out of the gate. Fort wins the toss elects to receive lines straight up but K had other plans ONSIDE KICK they recover. Second play from scrimmage was a lateral to receiver then WIDE FLAT OPEN all alone easy TD that set the tone for the night. The fact the Dogs O was prolific was somewhat but not a complete surprise. Fort MUST MUST MUST fix their run D or there will be no run back to even the semis.

Kearney's D was what really shocked me. Unlike last week (it was a very petty criticism that didn't end up costing them) they came after Menne time and time again finally (hope for his and Fort's sake he is OK) ending with the kid getting injured. I was text blasting my opposition to him returning after the initial injury and do admire the kid's leadership BUT BUT BUT this is Week 2 of the regular season against a C4 team you won't see/need to worry about again this year. Sure enough the injury got aggravated by another D conference and major CLEAN hit.

Overall this was about as good as it gets (thanks a million Minnick and co for costing me a night of sleep being too hyped up LOL). Although they didn't cost (K also has a very solid place kicker) those repetitive pens on XPs have to go! After digesting two full games vs. major opponents (don't be deceived C5 fans both will be in the mix come November) one thing REALLY REALLY sticks out and it is not the incredible play calling: DISCIPLINE. One play in particular stood out right in front of me as the K defender was pressing the receiver out of bounds and LET GO at exactly the right time PLUS zero taunting opponents so far this year (a big issue the past few years). Complex as this new O is they have amazing smoothness and the holding etc. pens are minimal. This ain't just about the HC, folks. The great ones (see Andy Reid) know how to delegate and find top notch coordinators. This staff is killing it so far!

NOW on to face the DEFENDING CHAMPS next Friday in the home opener which will be a zoo and slugfest (Smithville edged PC 10-7 at home last night). I would have to go all the way back to probably the 2009 Staley game at NKC (which the Dogs lost then avenged in the playoffs) to find another regular season game for which I had this much interest!

Did any of you watch Kearney vs. PC? Was Minnick throwing all those looks at Platte County as well, or did he save them? I agree with Joey that Fort didn't realize the caliber they were going to face and took them lightly. Just wondering if they watched film from last week and saw a different Kearney?

One thing that has been a bit hard to watch the last two years is the slow starts Fort always gets off to on offense. It feels like Martyball for the first quarter and a half. They played from behind most of the season last year. Also, they don't use a tight end that I see, which maybe they need to do just for blocking considering how much the line was collapsing. Minnick was running all sorts of stuff to fit his talent. I wish Fort would do some more things with Fenner. He is more Lasean McCoy than a receiver. He is shifty as heck and so dangerous in open space, but on offense he is usually running WR routes except for a reverse play and barely sees the ball. Agree with you on Menne. They should never have allowed him back out there. The kid has a special forces toughness, but the coaches or trainers need to override that in those situations. The game was lost at that point. If he is hurt that will be a MAJOR blow.

I think Kearney wins the state championship. They looked very disciplined, the talent in players and coaching is there as well. The only thing I wonder is their schedule. They will put a turbo clock on every team after next week. Basically sleepwalk into the playoffs.

Last edited:
Did any of you watch Kearney vs. PC? Was Minnick throwing all those looks at Platte County as well, or did he save them? I agree with Joey that Fort didn't realize the caliber they were going to face and took them lightly. Just wondering if they watched film from last week and saw a different Kearney?
One thing that has been a bit hard to watch the last two years is the slow starts Fort always gets off to on offense. It feels like Martyball for the first quarter and a half. They played from behind most of the season last year. Also, they don't use a tight end that I see, which maybe they need to do just for blocking considering how much the line was collapsing. Minnick was running all sorts of stuff to fit his talent. I wish Fort would do some more things with Fenner. He is more Lasean McCoy than a receiver. He is shifty as heck and so dangerous in open space, but on offense he is usually running WR routes except for a reverse play and barely sees the ball. Hope their QB is ok. He looked very banged up.
I think Kearney wins the state championship. They looked very disciplined, the talent in players and coaching is there as well. The only thing I wonder is their schedule. They will put a turbo clock on every team after next week. Basically sleepwalk into the playoffs.
I went to the K-PC game it was nothing like this ergo yes I felt Minnick held the playbook for what he knew would be a bigger challenge at Fort. Don't leave out the HOMECOMING factor. Coaches hate it because of all the distractions. This is why it is best to schedule someone you feel you can handle BUT K kinda fit that mold the past 2-3 years in particular. I was text blasting and screaming on here how Fort needed to find Fenner in the Wentzville Holt semifinal. Their playcalling hampers them at times. I don't stretch to say anyone will "win it all" after just two weeks. Too many things can happen PLUS remember St. Mary's is in C4. Next week will tell a lot more how good they really are but they already popped SLUH. As for the schedule GLAD you brought that up because this new coaching staff then has to show how they manage being huge favorites after next Friday. This is why, if you can control it at all, spread out your slate.

As I stated in another post (probably not well, though) Minnick knows which kids belong on the bus and which seats each should occupy. I don't know squat compared to these coaches and players about Xs and Os but can spot a winner a mile away and K has one! NOW on to the next challenge.............

I went to the K-PC game it was nothing like this ergo yes I felt Minnick held the playbook for what he knew would be a bigger challenge at Fort. Don't leave out the HOMECOMING factor. Coaches hate it because of all the distractions. This is why it is best to schedule someone you feel you can handle BUT K kinda fit that mold the past 2-3 years in particular. I was text blasting and screaming on here how Fort needed to find Fenner in the Wentzville Holt semifinal. Their playcalling hampers them at times. I don't stretch to say anyone will "win it all" after just two weeks. Too many things can happen PLUS remember St. Mary's is in C4. Next week will tell a lot more how good they really are but they already popped SLUH. As for the schedule GLAD you brought that up because this new coaching staff then has to show how they manage being huge favorites after next Friday. This is why, if you can control it at all, spread out your slate.

As I stated in another post (probably not well, though) Minnick knows which kids belong on the bus and which seats each should occupy. I don't know squat compared to these coaches and players about Xs and Os but can spot a winner a mile away and K has one! NOW on to the next challenge.............

They have been holding out. There were things they threw out at UCM that we still have not seen on Offense. Scrimmage I know, but they beat Liberty North by a TD and 24 yards before Liberty North’s player lost it and ripped off the K players helmet on two consecutive plays. K beat up on all the other C5 and C6 teams at UCM. Troy played them pretty close.

Friday you will see a lot they haven’t shown, I am guessing. After that it will be a 2003 rerun.

Reactions: thetophat2021
They have been holding out. There were things they threw out at UCM that we still have not seen on Offense. Scrimmage I know, but they beat Liberty North by a TD and 24 yards before Liberty North’s player lost it and ripped off the K players helmet on two consecutive plays. K beat up on all the other C5 and C6 teams at UCM. Troy played them pretty close.

Friday you will see a lot they haven’t shown, I am guessing. After that it will be a 2003 rerun.
Yeah I will probably take in the first half of Excelsior week 4 then just score track and go to other games especially given Belton struggled past Tonka. Great as this 2-0 start is the ONLY opponent that really matters is SMITHVILLE. Cannot wait!

Yeah I will probably take in the first half of Excelsior week 4 then just score track and go to other games especially given Belton struggled past Tonka. Great as this 2-0 start is the ONLY opponent that really matters is SMITHVILLE. Cannot wait!

There are a few key positions that are not as good as the 2013 Class 5 semi team, but they will get better by the end of the season. Again, I was shocked they did not put up 35+ on Platte County. But when you look at the holding call that took away a touchdown--and there was no holding that I could see after looking at a few times. The missed first down play --again, blow by the refs. And another holding call for the 30+ yarder....K lost out on about 14 points and 120 yards in the first half because the refs were rusty or needed glasses. Even so, K is averaging 30 points a game versus good Class 5 Ds.

There are a few key positions that are not as good as the 2013 Class 5 semi team, but they will get better by the end of the season. Again, I was shocked they did not put up 35+ on Platte County. But when you look at the holding call that took away a touchdown--and there was no holding that I could see after looking at a few times. The missed first down play --again, blow by the refs. And another holding call for the 30+ yarder....K lost out on about 14 points and 120 yards in the first half because the refs were rusty or needed glasses. Even so, K is averaging 30 points a game versus good Class 5 Ds.
The first half of the PC game I caught myself being a skeptic then the second half happened. Were they to play again agree K would be much more prolific. Again amazed how quickly they are putting this all together. The QB looked lots better last Friday, too. Came into 2022 with only expectation being improvement. This sudden improvement did NOT happen under Thomas and not under Jones, either. Yeah I get Minnick et al inherited some very good players but key has been, as stated before, putting the players in positions where their talent says they belong PLUS innovative play calling. It frankly looks so Fred B. it is scary.

The defense is also looking lots and lots better. Whomever is coaching that side has those kids improving fast, too.

All this being said those two great wins are history. This Friday is all that matters and I guarantee all Smithville ain't just going down without a helluva fight. I expect this to be close and low scoring. A physical war.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet with you Tophat. I haven't read through this thread but I was blown away by Kearney. Talented and well coached. The onsides kick set the tone for game. Fort could never get momentum back. IMO Fort has to get their o-line fixed. They've struggled to run between the tackes on both games...ableit against very good competition.

Hard to imagine a more talented C4 team than what I saw from Kearney.

In the grand scheme I'm glad Fort got this one out of the way early in the season when it really doesn't mean a lot as far as season goals. I'm just hoping Menne isn't out for an extended period. If so it'll change the outlook of the Indian season drastically.

One thing that has been a bit hard to watch the last two years is the slow starts Fort always gets off to on offense. It feels like Martyball for the first quarter and a half. They played from behind most of the season last year. Also, they don't use a tight end that I see, which maybe they need to do just for blocking considering how much the line was collapsing. Minnick was running all sorts of stuff to fit his talent. I wish Fort would do some more things with Fenner. He is more Lasean McCoy than a receiver. He is shifty as heck and so dangerous in open space, but on offense he is usually running WR routes except for a reverse play and barely sees the ball. Agree with you on Menne. They should never have allowed him back out there. The kid has a special forces toughness, but the coaches or trainers need to override that in those situations. The game was lost at that point. If he is hurt that will be a MAJOR blow.

I am puzzled as to why Fort has come out with zero energy the first two games...I could see if this was against a team they thought they could beat easily but in the cases of GV and Kearney it's hard to understand. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for them. I also agree they need to make a more concerted effert to get the ball in Fenners hands. I think he'd be a great option in the wildcat.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet with you Tophat. I haven't read through this thread but I was blown away by Kearney. Talented and well coached. The onsides kick set the tone for game. Fort could never get momentum back. IMO Fort has to get their o-line fixed. They've struggled to run between the tackes on both games...ableit against very good competition.

In the grand scheme I'm glad Fort got this one out of the way early in the season when it really doesn't mean a lot as far as season goals. I'm just hoping Menne isn't out for an extended period. If so it'll change the outlook of the Indian season drastically.
Why do they refuse to bring in a tight end? Just for blocking alone it's needed.
I think people are starting to see just how good Stevie Gabb was last year on the Offensive Line. Might have been a grades thing that he didn't go D1 but he was a Power 5 D1 Guard.
Big hole right now.
Curious who they will play as QB in JV game today. I doubt Menne is back this week. Belton barely beat Tonka.

All good totally understand. Your side was filling up early and fast so I grabbed the best seat I could and didn’t move so was very hard to find. You are spot on about K. Very surprising indeed and in a great way for us.

My biggest concern is Menne. Agree your season totally changes if he is out. Sorry am out and about so will be back and catch up in full this evening.

I don't understand not getting the ball in the hands of Fenner. jet sweeps...fakes to 22, go to 22, go to Fenner...just get him the ball. In a slugfest, you need the yards. Line him up as a two-back set. Running around downfield with not enough targets does not halp. But what do I know?

On the larger C4 front let's see what happens in suburban Chicago Friday night. Neuqua Valley knocked off last year's St. Mary's all star team............

So all this talk about Menne. What actually happened to him. Concussion? Knee Injury? Shoulder Issue? Kid has always been super tough and as durable as they come at the QB position, so I'd be surprised if he isn't playing. Though I didn't see what happened against Kearney.

How was their backup QB when (or if) he played?

only Kearney hot takes I want to hear about!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
So all this talk about Menne. What actually happened to him. Concussion? Knee Injury? Shoulder Issue? Kid has always been super tough and as durable as they come at the QB position, so I'd be surprised if he isn't playing. Though I didn't see what happened against Kearney.

Looked like he turned his ankle. The backup only took a couple of snaps. Attempted one pass.

The real question is this. Are Kearney moms hotter than Smithville? Or does Smithville take the cake. That’s my basis on who will win.

Well I hope I am right. The problem is he went back in the game after the initial injury and got mashed and was limping worse.
Hmm, I'm sure someone can give an update at some point this week. I feel like this board is filled with Ft Osage and Kearney people. Someone in the know is out there.

Hmm, I'm sure someone can give an update at some point this week. I feel like this board is filled with Ft Osage and Kearney people. Someone in the know is out there.
The season is young. Once the playoffs really get going this board grows fast (STL and SWMO posters).

Kearney wins a couple of games and all the sudden they are the favorites to win class 4? Looks like some people need to put down the purple kool-aid and relax for a minute. Yes, Kearney is certainly improved as Minnick has kids excited about playing football again in K-town. However, take a deep breath and realize that there is a long season ahead. You have the defending state champs coming into town on Friday with several all-state returners including their QB and RB. They also have Boyd back which should make some Kearney RBs and WR nervous. If you get a win on Friday against Smithville, that only gets you the number seed in Districts. You would then have to beat Smithville again in Districts, and get by Center in the quarters. If that happened, there is a team from St. Louis waiting for you (St. Mary's) that might have something to say about your title hopes. Relax Kearney fans, you have a long season ahead of you. Just enjoy your 2-0 start while you have it.

Kearney wins a couple of games and all the sudden they are the favorites to win class 4? Looks like some people need to put down the purple kool-aid and relax for a minute. Yes, Kearney is certainly improved as Minnick has kids excited about playing football again in K-town. However, take a deep breath and realize that there is a long season ahead. You have the defending state champs coming into town on Friday with several all-state returners including their QB and RB. They also have Boyd back which should make some Kearney RBs and WR nervous. If you get a win on Friday against Smithville, that only gets you the number seed in Districts. You would then have to beat Smithville again in Districts, and get by Center in the quarters. If that happened, there is a team from St. Louis waiting for you (St. Mary's) that might have something to say about your title hopes. Relax Kearney fans, you have a long season ahead of you. Just enjoy your 2-0 start while you have it.
Not to me. Smithville is still the champs until someone knocks them off and I GUARANTEE they are not gonna go anywhere near quietly. What a program they have established! St. Mary's has a big test this Friday no question, though, they are loaded for bear again.

As for the exuberance, sir, if you saw what was going on the past few years you'd beyond understand.

This one had a very odd feel right out of the gate. Fort wins the toss elects to receive lines straight up but K had other plans ONSIDE KICK they recover. Second play from scrimmage was a lateral to receiver then WIDE FLAT OPEN all alone easy TD that set the tone for the night. The fact the Dogs O was prolific was somewhat but not a complete surprise. Fort MUST MUST MUST fix their run D or there will be no run back to even the semis.

Kearney's D was what really shocked me. Unlike last week (it was a very petty criticism that didn't end up costing them) they came after Menne time and time again finally (hope for his and Fort's sake he is OK) ending with the kid getting injured. I was text blasting my opposition to him returning after the initial injury and do admire the kid's leadership BUT BUT BUT this is Week 2 of the regular season against a C4 team you won't see/need to worry about again this year. Sure enough the injury got aggravated by another D conference and major CLEAN hit.

Overall this was about as good as it gets (thanks a million Minnick and co for costing me a night of sleep being too hyped up LOL). Although they didn't cost (K also has a very solid place kicker) those repetitive pens on XPs have to go! After digesting two full games vs. major opponents (don't be deceived C5 fans both will be in the mix come November) one thing REALLY REALLY sticks out and it is not the incredible play calling: DISCIPLINE. One play in particular stood out right in front of me as the K defender was pressing the receiver out of bounds and LET GO at exactly the right time PLUS zero taunting opponents so far this year (a big issue the past few years). Complex as this new O is they have amazing smoothness and the holding etc. pens are minimal. This ain't just about the HC, folks. The great ones (see Andy Reid) know how to delegate and find top notch coordinators. This staff is killing it so far!

NOW on to face the DEFENDING CHAMPS next Friday in the home opener which will be a zoo and slugfest (Smithville edged PC 10-7 at home last night). I would have to go all the way back to probably the 2009 Staley game at NKC (which the Dogs lost then avenged in the playoffs) to find another regular season game for which I had this much interest!

I knew the Kearney offense had the potential to be prolific this year. And so far they stand at 30 points/ game against some stiff Defenses. What I did not think is that the defensive side would be this good.
So far, six sacks, 4 INTs, and giving up only 3 ypc on the ground. Their opposing QBs have a 44 QB rating against them. Fort returned 9 of 11 starters on O. Shut down completely. Probably the 4-5 All State track athletes that they have on defense helps?

Last edited:

Knee. Went back in and got hit 2nd time and really was limping bad. They almost put him back into punt but you could hear the fan objections. Game was already gone when they let him go back in first time.
2nd string guy didn't get many snaps. I think they started the 3rd string guy in JV last night.
on bright side Menne won Homecoming King at halftime before getting hurt. Quite the night for the kid.

Yawn. Four state championships. Still a winning record against Webb City. Do you think any long-term K fans are going to be concerned about Center high school?
That was a nice little team Smithville had last year but it would be around the sixth or seventh best team that K had in the last 20 years. Those Guys are gone so this is the show me state, let’s see what everyone’s got on Friday.

I knew the Kearney offense had the potential to be prolific this year. And so far they stand at 30 points/ game against some stiff Defenses. What I did not think is that the defensive side would be this good.
So far, six sacks, 4 INTs, and giving up only 3 ypc on the ground. Their opposing QBs have a 44 QB rating against them. Fort returned 9 of 11 starters on O. Shut down completely. Probably the 4-5 All State track athletes that they have on defense helps?
I was very impressed with their ability to keep pace and cover Fort's stellar WRs all evening. All this being said I have a different feeling about this week now. Unlike the prior two good teams this one has a Championship under its belt and that was just last December. I look for a very low scoring slugfest. Offensive key is whether K can win the line of scrimmage vs. what I suspect is a very stiff Smithville D based on prior two results. Minnick left a good stock of talent at Raytown don't be surprised if they are in the area C5 mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT